Cable clearance sent from DOS to Consulate - What next?

Never Ending Cycle

carpdiem said:
Just called DOS for status and a very nice lady tried explaining to me what exactly is going on. According to her since my fiance has a very common name thats why its taking so long. she said this was the 4th clearance embassy is waiting for. and everytime there is a new entry with that name in the database, embassy has to issue a new request (which seems pretty redundant because this chain can go on and on forever REALLY!!!)
So now the forth clearance was due on july 18th and she didnt see any update so far, and sometimes it takes a while for them to update it since they can be a week behind or something... so i should call back in few days...
First time someone in DOS actually talked to me so detailed but i dont really know what that means...
now clearance comes back and there is a new entry they have to send it again?? it has been going on for 10 months now!!!

Please post if anyone has any updates?

Sanna

I have been told the same thing over and over again, that my name is very common so it takes so long. I was given a similar explanation about the delay by one of the guys at Islamabad Consulate, that by the time DOS sends their clearance, new names have been added to the database. And the consulate requests the Clearance against those names as well.

This is a very discouraging situation as I have already waited 10 months and still they cannot give a definite timeframe for the completion of processing.
I have decided to cut down the frequency of my inquiries to DOS and consulate to just once per month, since they are not telling anything useful anyways.

-Ali

The real question is how does this end? Theoratically this is a never ending process. My guess is that for common names the embassy decides to issue visa after an arbitrary number of no objections are received or maybe based on wind direction, who knows.......

DOS not really helpful...

hi all
The best part of DOS these days is they are not providing any details of the case. Instead they have a favorite liner "You are most welcome to give us a call next week to check for an update". Its been more than 30 weeks now and they say the same thing !!
I almost gave up the follow-up on my case. Initially I used to call them weekly, but now its monthly and even more. It seems of no use. 8 months now !!!

:confused: jay

Long waits

I called American Express visa services on 20th July and the guy told me that if clearance does not arrive in 4 weeks then the time is indefinite. He said a minimum of 6 months and knows several people who are waiting for more than a year.

I think at the time of interview, the consular decides length of this tough patience test and then further delays occur the more you call them. I very much sense that they make note of the number of enquiries from applicants of each case under administrative processing (less than 2% of all applicants worldwide). I also 100% believe that the departments in U.S. complete the clearance process in 4-6 weeks time (and sometimes within 14 days average as stated by concerned department heads during their testimonies, which are available on websites). I believe in it as this is my 3rd clearance request sent by the Embassy and previous 2 request were processed within 18 working days and no objection sent to the Embassy as informed to me by DOS. The delay is done by the Embassy consular section itself by requesting clearances several times, making it a never ending like process.

I called Embassy today (22nd July) and a lady answered the phone. When I gave her my passport number, she quickly said "you have called several times and our answer remains the same (which is case still pending clearance). Atleast give a a weeks break before calling....thanks. bye."

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my passport back today. It took 8 months.

Interview: Dec 06, 2004
First clearance: March 21, 2004
Second clearance: June 22, 2005
Third clearnace: July 28, 2005
Visa issued: August 05, 2005
Got passport back: August 08, 2005.

Went to protector's tax office today (aka some crap tax govt wants you to pay) . I paid it 8 years ago but they said we are supposed to pay protector's tax everytime we have a new visa or change of job. They have become strict at the airpot and have stopped people from travelling. It's a waste of a day and 5200 rupees but worth getting it done. Also get your pakistani overseas id card made while you're waiting, that would help also.

Good luck to you all. Patience is a virtue!!

Ali

Ali,

Congrats on getting your visa, wish you a safe flight back. I guess being patient is the key.

I would like to know if its mandatory to have machine readable passports now.

-Ali

Congrats Ali, there had not been any good news lately on this forum until your post showed up. Although you probably don't know much of the people on this forum but I feel we all are connected and we feel for each other. I am truely happy for you.

MDAli77 you are next, Insha Allah you will get your PP sooner than you think.

Ali have a safe flight back to US.

-Nouman

Thanks Ali and Nouman,

Machine readable passports are only mandatory for people from countries under the Visa Waiver Program. Pakistan is most certainly not on that list.

Ali

NIVVictim said:
Thanks Ali and Nouman,

Machine readable passports are only mandatory for people from countries under the Visa Waiver Program. Pakistan is most certainly not on that list.

Ali

Congratulation Ali!
Hope everyone else in the queue is soon after you as well :)
Just got off from the phone with DOS and the lady said that embassy had asked for another clearance on June 28 and it is still pending. I asked what clearance it is and she said its 3rd clearance... Is there any clearance after that as well? and how long does it take normally to clear teh third clearance? if anyone has any idea... i know FOREVER !!

Have a safe trip !

Sanna

Administrative Processing

Called embassy today and the lady said you will have to wait more. I asked how much and the answer is no limits. Then called DOS and they said your clearances were finished on 20th July. She said that was 3rd and final clearance. It is now up to the embassy how long they take for internal processing to issue visa.

Bonapart said:
Called embassy today and the lady said you will have to wait more. I asked how much and the answer is no limits. Then called DOS and they said your clearances were finished on 20th July. She said that was 3rd and final clearance. It is now up to the embassy how long they take for internal processing to issue visa.

BonaPart,

When was you third clearance request submitted, do you know that?
Just wanted to get an idea how long did it take for your third clearance to be completed.
In our case, third clearacne was submitted on June 28th...

Thanks,

Sanna

Clearance dates

According to the lady at DOS, last one was my 3rd and final clearance (received on 20th July). However, in my count its the 4th clearance. These are the dates as informed me when I enquired DOS during last 5 months:

Interview date: 24th March, 05
1st clearance received: 14th April, 05

2nd clearance request: 14th April, 05
Clearance received: 11th May, 05

3rd clearance request: 11th May, 05
Clearance received: 20th June, 05

4th clearance request: 20th June, 05
Clearance received: 20th July, 05

Bonapart said:
According to the lady at DOS, last one was my 3rd and final clearance (received on 20th July). However, in my count its the 4th clearance. These are the dates as informed me when I enquired DOS during last 5 months:

Interview date: 24th March, 05
1st clearance received: 14th April, 05

2nd clearance request: 14th April, 05
Clearance received: 11th May, 05

3rd clearance request: 11th May, 05
Clearance received: 20th June, 05

4th clearance request: 20th June, 05
Clearance received: 20th July, 05

Thanks! It took about a month for each clearance... We have been waiting since my fiance's interview was in October 2004. So it has been over 10 months now, last time i spoke to USCIS, one lady said its the 4th clearance request submitted on june 28th, and another said its the 3rd clearance submitted on june 28th...
so not sure which one is true :(

Sanna

Awaiting

Called Embassy and the lady says "we are still waiting for security clearance from america". Call after one week. On the other hand DOS informed me two days ago that all clearances were finished on 20th July and now its up to embassy how long they take to issue visa and that I should contact them as a month has passed.

I think you never know the real progress.

Finally Got My Visa

Hello Guys,

I finally got my passport back with visa stamped after almost 11 months, I had applied at Islamabad, Pakistan. The following are the relevant dates for my case:

Interview Date: 27 Sep 2004
Fingerprints: 22 Nov 2004
Visa Issued: Aug 12 2005
Got Passport back: 22 Aug 2005

I don't know how many security clearances were requested, but on my visa it states that clearance was received on 14 Mar 2005.

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their support and wish all the best to everyone who is still waiting for their visas.

If anyone is familiar with the location of protector of emigrant office in karachi, please let me know.

-Ali

Hoorray Ali and Congratulations. This waiting has finally paid off. Have a safe and wonderful flight back to US.

Please pray for all of us who are still stranded and waiting for their visas.

-Nouman

Congratulations!

Hi Lucky Ali,

Congrats! that your wait has ended.

Hope we too get done soon.

Cheers,

Bonapart

Protector's crap

Congrats Ali.

Protector tax office is located near the society fly over off Sharah-e-Faisal. On the same side as National Bank. You'll need to ask someone once you get there. You would need to take the following:

1. Two copies of your 797 approval notice.
2. Two copies of passport + visa
3. Two copies of employment letter.
4. Two copies of id card of either of your parents, whoever you will designate as beneficiary for insurance.

You'll have to fill in a bunch of forms, with questions like, "I will not run away from my job", etc :). It'll cost around 5200. You will have to apply for overseas pakistani id card at Nadra. If you can get that done before going there it'll save you a trip. You have to submit the application between 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and they will return your passport the same day between 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm. I was asked at the time of checkin if I have paid protectors tax.

Regards,
Ali