breaking news: asylees cannot drive in Michigan anymore

It looks like unless you have a green card you will not be permitted to get a license. This rule takes effect immediately.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127--183894--,00.html

The pdf attachments to the page say that permanent legal presence means green card. Having an approved asylum case does not qualify.

This is incredible.

As of Tuesday, applicants for an original driver's license or state-issued ID card must meet four standards in addition to Michigan's driving and physical health requirements by providing documentation of:

A valid Social Security number or ineligibility for one. Applicants will have to bring their Social Security card or other acceptable document to a Secretary of State office, or a letter of ineligibility from the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Legal and permanent presence in the United States.
Their identity (legal name and date of birth).
Michigan residency.

Dude I think u miscomprehend the whole thing.They said prove of legal and permanent presence.Asylee is considered 'legal permanent presence'.Same as people who got a working visa from thier current company and legal to work in the US.Are you telling me that they can't get a DL either? that's retarded.

As of Tuesday, applicants for an original driver's license or state-issued ID card must meet four standards in addition to Michigan's driving and physical health requirements by providing documentation of:

A valid Social Security number or ineligibility for one. Applicants will have to bring their Social Security card or other acceptable document to a Secretary of State office, or a letter of ineligibility from the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Legal and permanent presence in the United States.
Their identity (legal name and date of birth).
Michigan residency.

Dude I think u miscomprehend the whole thing.They said prove of legal and permanent presence.Asylee is considered 'legal permanent presence'.Same as people who got a working visa from thier current company and legal to work in the US.Are you telling me that they can't get a DL either? that's retarded.

open the pdf file at the end of the page. It says green card and it does not mention asylum stuff at all.

open the pdf file at the end of the page. It says green card and it does not mention asylum stuff at all.

I really do not think this means that one cannot drive in Michigan if one has asylum. I think the way it is worded is confusing.

depressing news

It says clearly - citizens or permanent residents (green card holders) for first time DL applicants.
The good thing they do not implement this restriction to renew drive license, but promiss to make regulation soon.

For those who is not citizen and does not have green cards yet they will discuss option to drive cars based on their international drive license (may be some time in a future). But no drive license today.

People say that even if they allow to drive in Michigan based on the international drive license, insurances will not accept international drive licenses.

It says clearly - citizens or permanent residents (green card holders) for first time DL applicants.
The good thing they do not implement this restriction to renew drive license, but promiss to make regulation soon.

For those who is not citizen and does not have green cards yet they will discuss option to drive cars based on their international drive license (may be some time in a future). But no drive license today.

People say that even if they allow to drive in Michigan based on the international drive license, insurances will not accept international drive licenses.

Your understanding is correct. Right now their position is that even refugee and approved asylees are not eligible. They are already hearing from people and organizations unhappy about this. My guess is that they will change the rule pretty soon to include asylees and refugees. Excluding them is (most likely) inconsistent with federal law.

It looks like unless you have a green card you will not be permitted to get a license. This rule takes effect immediately.

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127--183894--,00.html

The pdf attachments to the page say that permanent legal presence means green card. Having an approved asylum case does not qualify.

This is incredible.

Why are you guys making a big deal of such a stupid issue? That website is michigan governments website who only know few things. Go to the Michigan DMV website and they do accept many documents other than a GC or US Passport. My family lives in Michigan and they said its not a big deal if you have Social Security Card + a I-94 etc...

Its not a big deal..this is due to the Real ID bill that got passed few years ago and we got the cap dropped off..

Some websites for employment like the US Postal service lists U.s Permanent resident or US Citizens but is that true..no!!! If you can prove you can work, they are ok..

Why are you guys making a big deal of such a stupid issue? That website is michigan governments website who only know few things. Go to the Michigan DMV website and they do accept many documents other than a GC or US Passport. My family lives in Michigan and they said its not a big deal if you have Social Security Card + a I-94 etc...

Its not a big deal..this is due to the Real ID bill that got passed few years ago and we got the cap dropped off..

Some websites for employment like the US Postal service lists U.s Permanent resident or US Citizens but is that true..no!!! If you can prove you can work, they are ok..

It is not due to REAL ID. It is based on a legal opinion issued by the Michigan Attorney General based on STATE law. This is a new rule going effect yesterday.

This is something in flux right now as they are in consultation with various groups about the treatment of refugees and asylees.

BTW the website linked is the DMV.

Last edited by a moderator:

You need to get your facts straight before making statement like those above.

First of all, the link I provided was the dmv website. In Michigan the Department of State handles dmv responsibilities. This comes from the horse's mouth, not a "michigan governments website who only know few things."

Second, had you only taken the time to read the notice I linked you too, you would have understood that this was a brand new policy the michigan dmv just approved in the last few days. So the past experiences of the people you know are irrelevant.

This is not a "stupid" issue. It is a serious issue involving Michigan asylees and refugees.

Next time please do proper research first.

With all due respect you are wrong. All you need to do is check the newspaper articles in Michigan from the past few days and you will know that unless you have a green card in hand you will not get a license.

Before you speak make an effort to make sure that you are right.

I don’t really know the debate in Michigan over the issuance of driver’s license, but from what I understand the provided link there is nothing new. The second requirement reads like this “Legal and permanent presence in the United States”. Asylees and refugees are considered legal and for many purposes they are considered permanent residents.
• A valid Social Security number or ineligibility for one. Applicants will have to bring their Social Security card or other acceptable document to a Secretary of State office, or a letter of ineligibility from the U.S. Social Security Administration.
• Legal and permanent presence in the United States.
• Their identity (legal name and date of birth).
• Michigan residency.

I don’t really know the debate in Michigan over the issuance of driver’s license, but from what I understand the provided link there is nothing new. The second requirement reads like this “Legal and permanent presence in the United States”. Asylees and refugees are considered legal and for many purposes they are considered permanent residents.
• A valid Social Security number or ineligibility for one. Applicants will have to bring their Social Security card or other acceptable document to a Secretary of State office, or a letter of ineligibility from the U.S. Social Security Administration.
• Legal and permanent presence in the United States.
• Their identity (legal name and date of birth).
• Michigan residency.

Will you just read the website carefully? It says that only green card holders satisfy the legal permanent residence requirement. It does not really matter that asylee status is considered permanent in many contexts. In this context Michigan says that it does not qualify.

"Documents that need additional verification will be reviewed in Lansing rather than in branch offices. In those instances a customer may be asked to visit the branch again".

Maybe if the application is accompanied by the asylee approval letter, they have to send it for Review/Verification??

"Documents that need additional verification will be reviewed in Lansing rather than in branch offices. In those instances a customer may be asked to visit the branch again".

Maybe if the application is accompanied by the asylee approval letter, they have to send it for Review/Verification??

As the law stands this evening asylees who do not have a green card are NOT eligible for licenses in Michigan.

The policy is based on an interpretation of Michigan law by the state Attorney General. The policy will stand unless and until the Attorney General revisits his conclusion, the legislature passes a new law or the courts intervenve.

Thankful is right.
This opinion covered the fact that michigan was among the only 8 states that issue licenses to "illegals". However, attorney general office "overreacted" as it interpeted state statute for permanent residency to include lawful permanent residents and citizens only.
This opinion will backfire on them as any asylee / refugee can request clarification/ justification on the interpetation of "permanent residency" for the purpose of driving the vehicle or even file complaint with MI courts and it will likely be shut.
Asylee / refugee status is "indefinite leave to remain" however it is argued that it is not permanent as if country conditions get better, in theory one can be sent back and asylee status can be revoked.
In reality, it is a "permanenet status" as asylee can remain on that status "forever" but refugees must apply for LPR after one year.
It is interesting to see how different immigrant groups residing in Michigan will approach this issue - it will either be reversed by court or "updated" opinion will cover asylees/refugees or legislature will cover the 'loophole" so no interpetation will be needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankful is right.
This opinion covered the fact that michigan was among the only 8 states that issue licenses to "illegals". However, attorney general office "overreacted" as it interpeted state statute for permanent residency to include lawful permanent residents and citizens only.
This opinion will backfire on them as any asylee / refugee can request clarification/ justification on the interpetation of "permanent residency" for the purpose of driving the vehicle or even file complaint with MI courts and it will likely be shut.
Asylee / refugee status is "indefinite leave to remain" however it is argued that it is not permanent as if country conditions get better, in theory one can be sent back and asylee status can be revoked.
In reality, it is a "permanenet status" as asylee can remain on that status "forever" but refugees must apply for LPR after one year.
It is interesting to see how different immigrant groups residing in Michigan will approach this issue - it will either be reversed by court or "updated" opinion will cover asylees/refugees or legislature will cover the 'loophole" so no interpetation will be needed.

Thank you for nailing the issue. Finally someone understands what is going on!!!

So people on student visas and work visas won't be able to drive in MI as they are not "permanent resident". I think this whole thing is ridiculous and would backfire.

So people on student visas and work visas won't be able to drive in MI as they are not "permanent resident". I think this whole thing is ridiculous and would backfire.

When even asylees and refugees cannot drive forget students and other temporary non-immigrant visa holders.

They came up with a stupid interpretation of the law which cannot stand a challenge in court.

When even asylees and refugees cannot drive forget students and other temporary non-immigrant visa holders.

They came up with a stupid interpretation of the law which cannot stand a challenge in court.

Yes, this whole thing is so inconsistent with federal laws. Asylees/refugees are eligible for federal student aid, federal social benefits, but not a driver license. How crazy is this? Clearly, there will be a lawsuit if there is no earlier intervention from the courts.

I expected more outrage on this. Does this not have a big impact ? It does not also talk about renewals, no one knows what the process will be for renewals for people who are not permanent residents. And this does not impact only asylees/refugees, it affects people who are here for work on H1/L1/Student status.

This way there is only one way MI economy can go, DOWN