Boston Regional DOL Tracker

Congrats Neocor. Good for you man.

Folks ... so the Visa retrogress is not a rumor .... it came in some Visa Bulletin is it ? Somebody knowlegeable .... please confirm.

Now if that happens .. would applying for Consular help ? Or does the consular processing path look at the priority Date too ? In other words .. do we still have to wait until the priority dates are current (I believe that is the term ) for consular processing ?

neocor said:
Thanks,

I am thinking 3-4 weeks is normal time it takes to enter the DOL system after the SESA office sends it over. I have seen 1-2 weeks for some cases, also I have a couple of friends whose cases are awaiting to be entered into DOL for more than a month now. But looks like 2-3 weeks is a resonable time.

My case is EB3. So it does effect me if I am not able to file before Dec 31.
And yes you are right if you are EB2 then you are not affected by the retrogression. Atleast not until Jan 31 for now. The next Bulletin will address for Feb Visa Numbers.

I guess the Visa Bulletin will now become the hottest bulletin next year. The 485 processing dates will be unimportant for some time to come.

neocor

menonsatishb

Folks ... so the Visa retrogress is not a rumor .... it came in some Visa Bulletin is it ? Somebody knowlegeable .... please confirm.

Yes, EB-3 Visa Retrogression is a hard fact !.. You can check the latest Visa Bulletin at http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi_bulletincurrent.html

Now if that happens .. would applying for Consular help ? Or does the consular processing path look at the priority Date too ? In other words .. do we still have to wait until the priority dates are current (I believe that is the term ) for consular processing ?

Yes, Visa Retrogression is applicable to CP also. You have to wait for your PD to become current before you can file for CP

Retrogression Questions and Answers

Retrogression of Priority Dates for Employment-based Third Preference Category

The United States Department of State has released its Visa Bulletin for January 2005. As expected, the “priority dates” for the employment-based third preference category for nationals from India, China and The Philippines have retrogressed. These priority dates, which have been current for several years, have retrogressed to January 1, 2002.

As a result of this retrogression, a national of India, China or The Philippines who is the beneficiary of an approved third-preference labor certification is prohibited from filing an I-485 Adjustment of Status application or a Consular Processing permanent residence application unless his or her priority date is current. An individual’s priority date is current if it falls on or before the priority date listed in the Visa Bulletin.

This Alert answers a number of questions about the retrogression of priority dates.

Why have the Priority Dates retrogressed?
The Immigration and Nationality Act limits the number of green cards which can be issued in any one fiscal year. These limits are categorized by nationality and type of application. In the past several years, USCIS delays in processing I-485 Adjustment of Status applications have meant that the annual quotas for each category have not been reached. However, in light of the improved processing
of I-485 applications, the quotas have been reached in the third preference employment-based category.

How can I track the current Priority Date?
The Department of State publishes the Visa Bulletin online each month.

It is accessible at http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi_bulletincurrent.html.
The Visa Bulletin is published in the middle of each month and lists the following month’s priority dates.

Is it possible that Priority Dates in other categories will retrogress in the future?
This is possible. The priority dates are determined by the Department of State based on the number of approved immigrant visas (green cards) in each category during the fiscal year. If USCIS processing of I-485 applications continues to improve, priority dates may retrogress in the employmentbased first- or second-preference categories, or in the third-preference category for nationals of other
countries.

How can I determine my priority date?
The priority date is set at the date when a labor certification application is filed on your behalf. If you are processing for permanent residence in a category that does not require a labor certification, the priority date is set at the date when an I-140 immigrant visa petition is filed on your behalf.

How do I determine if my Labor Certification was filed in the second-preference or thirdpreference
category?

In general, a labor certification is classified in the second preference if it requires, at minimum, either a Master’s degree or higher, OR a Bachelor’s degree plus five years
of progressive experience. All other labor certifications filed for skilled workers or professionals, which require a Bachelor’s degree and less than five years of progressive
experience, or no degree, fall into the third-preference category.

What if I am getting my green card without a Labor Certification?
If your green card process does not involve a labor certification, then you are in the first or second preference category. This means that your preference category has at this point NOT retrogressed. Because your category is current, you are not affected and will be permitted to file your Adjustment of Status application (or your Consular Processing application, as applicable).

If I have an approved third-preference labor certification with a priority date which is after
January 1, 2002, is there anything that I can do?

Yes, you can file your I-140 immigrant visa petition and I-485 Adjustment of Status application on or before December 31, 2004. The retrogression does not take effect until January 1, 2005.

If I have a pending third-preference labor certification with a priority date which is after January 1, 2002, is there anything that I can do?

There is nothing that you can do at this time. At the time your labor certification is approved, the current priority date, as listed in the Visa Bulletin, will determine if you can file an I-485 Adjustment of Status application. If your priority date is not current, your employer can file an I-140 immigrant visa petition on your behalf, but you cannot file an I-485 adjustment of Status application until your priority date becomes current.

I have already filed an I-485 Adjustment of Status application based on an approved thirdpreference
labor certification with a priority date that is after January 1, 2002. How will I be
affected?

USCIS cannot approve your I-485 application until your priority date becomes current at some point in the future. However, if you have an underlying Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or Advance Parole, these documents continue to be valid. Moreover, you can apply for and also extend an EAD or Advance Parole for as long as your I-485 Application remains pending at USCIS, even if your priority date is not current.

Will I lose my status in the United States if I cannot file an I-485 Adjustment of Status applicationbecause my priority date is not current?
Most individuals will be able to maintain lawful status in the U.S. A foreign national in H-1B status can likely extend his or her H-1B status beyond the six year limit, if either (1) he or she has started the permanent residence process at least 365 days before reaching the six year limit in H-1B status; or (2) he or she has an approved labor certification and a pending I-140 preference petition but is unable to file an I-485 application because the priority date is not current. Foreign nationals who hold another visa status may not be able to extend status beyond their limit.

For example, L-1A or L-1B visa holders cannot extend their L-1 status beyond the overall seven- or five-year limit due to permanent residence processing delays or priority date retrogression. L-1 visa holders in this situation should, if possible, convert their status to H-1B in order to protect their ability to extend their status in the U.S. Other visa holders, such as O-1 or E-1/E-2, do not have an overall status limit and should be able to extend their nonimmigrant visa status while waiting to file an I-485 application.

change of name of the company while on H1

Hello Everyone,
I know this is not the right forum . but i did not get the answer in H1 forum. anyone knowing answer please advise.

i am on H1B with a company A. and that co has changed name and address (just across the street)since i joined . also my pay stubs have new name.

Should we inform INS that the co. has changed the name? also i am planning to take H1 transfer . will this change of name affect the process??

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ravi.

sunnyprince said:
Retrogression of Priority Dates for Employment-based Third Preference Category

The United States Department of State has released its Visa Bulletin for January 2005. As expected, the “priority dates” for the employment-based third preference category for nationals from India, China and The Philippines have retrogressed. These priority dates, which have been current for several years, have retrogressed to January 1, 2002.

As a result of this retrogression, a national of India, China or The Philippines who is the beneficiary of an approved third-preference labor certification is prohibited from filing an I-485 Adjustment of Status application or a Consular Processing permanent residence application unless his or her priority date is current. An individual’s priority date is current if it falls on or before the priority date listed in the Visa Bulletin.

This Alert answers a number of questions about the retrogression of priority dates.

Why have the Priority Dates retrogressed?
The Immigration and Nationality Act limits the number of green cards which can be issued in any one fiscal year. These limits are categorized by nationality and type of application. In the past several years, USCIS delays in processing I-485 Adjustment of Status applications have meant that the annual quotas for each category have not been reached. However, in light of the improved processing
of I-485 applications, the quotas have been reached in the third preference employment-based category.

How can I track the current Priority Date?
The Department of State publishes the Visa Bulletin online each month.

It is accessible at http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi_bulletincurrent.html.
The Visa Bulletin is published in the middle of each month and lists the following month’s priority dates.

Is it possible that Priority Dates in other categories will retrogress in the future?
This is possible. The priority dates are determined by the Department of State based on the number of approved immigrant visas (green cards) in each category during the fiscal year. If USCIS processing of I-485 applications continues to improve, priority dates may retrogress in the employmentbased first- or second-preference categories, or in the third-preference category for nationals of other
countries.

How can I determine my priority date?
The priority date is set at the date when a labor certification application is filed on your behalf. If you are processing for permanent residence in a category that does not require a labor certification, the priority date is set at the date when an I-140 immigrant visa petition is filed on your behalf.

How do I determine if my Labor Certification was filed in the second-preference or thirdpreference
category?

In general, a labor certification is classified in the second preference if it requires, at minimum, either a Master’s degree or higher, OR a Bachelor’s degree plus five years
of progressive experience. All other labor certifications filed for skilled workers or professionals, which require a Bachelor’s degree and less than five years of progressive
experience, or no degree, fall into the third-preference category.

What if I am getting my green card without a Labor Certification?
If your green card process does not involve a labor certification, then you are in the first or second preference category. This means that your preference category has at this point NOT retrogressed. Because your category is current, you are not affected and will be permitted to file your Adjustment of Status application (or your Consular Processing application, as applicable).

If I have an approved third-preference labor certification with a priority date which is after
January 1, 2002, is there anything that I can do?

Yes, you can file your I-140 immigrant visa petition and I-485 Adjustment of Status application on or before December 31, 2004. The retrogression does not take effect until January 1, 2005.

If I have a pending third-preference labor certification with a priority date which is after January 1, 2002, is there anything that I can do?

There is nothing that you can do at this time. At the time your labor certification is approved, the current priority date, as listed in the Visa Bulletin, will determine if you can file an I-485 Adjustment of Status application. If your priority date is not current, your employer can file an I-140 immigrant visa petition on your behalf, but you cannot file an I-485 adjustment of Status application until your priority date becomes current.

I have already filed an I-485 Adjustment of Status application based on an approved thirdpreference
labor certification with a priority date that is after January 1, 2002. How will I be
affected?

USCIS cannot approve your I-485 application until your priority date becomes current at some point in the future. However, if you have an underlying Employment Authorization Document (EAD) or Advance Parole, these documents continue to be valid. Moreover, you can apply for and also extend an EAD or Advance Parole for as long as your I-485 Application remains pending at USCIS, even if your priority date is not current.

Will I lose my status in the United States if I cannot file an I-485 Adjustment of Status applicationbecause my priority date is not current?
Most individuals will be able to maintain lawful status in the U.S. A foreign national in H-1B status can likely extend his or her H-1B status beyond the six year limit, if either (1) he or she has started the permanent residence process at least 365 days before reaching the six year limit in H-1B status; or (2) he or she has an approved labor certification and a pending I-140 preference petition but is unable to file an I-485 application because the priority date is not current. Foreign nationals who hold another visa status may not be able to extend status beyond their limit.

For example, L-1A or L-1B visa holders cannot extend their L-1 status beyond the overall seven- or five-year limit due to permanent residence processing delays or priority date retrogression. L-1 visa holders in this situation should, if possible, convert their status to H-1B in order to protect their ability to extend their status in the U.S. Other visa holders, such as O-1 or E-1/E-2, do not have an overall status limit and should be able to extend their nonimmigrant visa status while waiting to file an I-485 application.

Redds777 said:
Hello Everyone,
I know this is not the right forum . but i did not get the answer in H1 forum. anyone knowing answer please advise.

i am on H1B with a company A. and that co has changed name and address (just across the street)since i joined . also my pay stubs have new name.

Should we inform INS that the co. has changed the name? also i am planning to take H1 transfer . will this change of name affect the process??

Thanks
Ravi.

Not a Problem.. Just send a letter of Name/Address Change with Visa Transfer application

Hi,

Any information on this is appreciated.
My questions is : Al applications going to BOSTON DOL for regional clearance, will they be transferred to backlog elemination centers, after Jan 2005.

Reason for asking thius, my state is due to get cleared any time by this month end, it means it will anywhere til mid Jan or later to boston for regional, what will happne after this, will be transferred to BEC or it will be procesed in boston itself.
If it moves to BEC, where do AI stand in line, FIFO , or FIFO applied only to state clearance not for regional.
Please let me know about this.

617-788-0152 subscriber ID ???

If you call this number and enter 8, you are allowed to type in a subscriber ID ??? anyone knows what this is ? Or how to get in touch with someone at DOL?

I will walk over their office as they all seem to be on vacation...

Redds777 said:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks
Ravi.

Ravi,

I don't think you have to do any thing for now. For all future applications, make sure you use the new name. If you are travelling out of country, get a letter from Attorney/HR indicating the change in name.

To give you furthur information, our company got acquired and obvious name and location change. Still, it is not required to file any thing because this comes under the category of "successor of interest".

You should be fine as is. Just give a call to your company attorney and get a official response from your side.

-- rspr

LABOR Re-Certification from RIR to Non - RIR

As I posted in my previous posting , we have not received any offical information by mail regarding redoing my process through the Normal Route. Its been more than a month since my attorney called the DOL and found this, but there is no offical letter. Hence I cannot even start my advertising on the papers to get things moving. My case had moved from SESA NH to Boston DOL on the 1st week of September. :mad:

Anybody have time to update this ?

Anybody who got some kind of reply (Certified/Rejected/RFE/NOF) please update this excel sheet. 90% of questions out here are getting to know where DOL is w.r.t processing.

Boston DOL status for RIR?

Did any one get approval in RIR category for the cases submitted to DOL on Oct 26th 2004? :eek:

Priority Date of Unused Labor Petition ??

:confused: I have an approved Labor Petition with my previous employer, but coud not pursue it further as I was laid off that company . Now My present compant has refiled my LC and I would most probably get it only in 2005. My question is with the PD for EB3 moving back , would I be able to use the PD from my first employer with the current LC from my Present employer to file I-140 & I-485simultaneously.

prash_mate said:
Hi,

Any information on this is appreciated.
My questions is : Al applications going to BOSTON DOL for regional clearance, will they be transferred to backlog elemination centers, after Jan 2005.

I would like to know the answer, too.
Thanks

Yes

Yes. You can do it provided your labor and I-140 is approved with your previous employer and while applying for I-485 from new employer you can use the Old employer's labor PD . Hope this helps.

spx221 said:
:confused: I have an approved Labor Petition with my previous employer, but coud not pursue it further as I was laid off that company . Now My present compant has refiled my LC and I would most probably get it only in 2005. My question is with the PD for EB3 moving back , would I be able to use the PD from my first employer with the current LC from my Present employer to file I-140 & I-485simultaneously.

Does it mean to say even if the Labor-2 was applied by Employer-2 you can still use the Labor-1 priority date, i.e date when Labor-1 was applied by Employer-1 ?
I thought Labor-1 priority date cannot be used if one is not planning to use
Labor-1 when applying for the GC process. How will it be possible to review unless both labors are submitted with I-485 application ?

sri302 said:
Yes. You can do it provided your labor and I-140 is approved with your previous employer and while applying for I-485 from new employer you can use the Old employer's labor PD . Hope this helps.