Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

Successful Interview

Dear All, I had a successful interview today at Boston that went by pretty fast. Really professional officers and organized office. They asked me for recent bills and statements and posed just a few questions related to my application form like employment and memberships-- though my case was pretty straightforward overall and it seemed like other people were being asked more questions, so some caution may be in order.

I would like to thank all for their useful comments, especially Mclaren who was very helpful with regard to the parking situation in Boston, my biggest headache. I would recommend going to the city a bit early because there is always some unexpected delay that happens, be it in the parking lot, riding the T or finding the station:)

To my surprise, I was given an Oath letter for a ceremony in Lowell, MA. Has anyone been to the Lowell Memorial Auditorium before? How was your experience? Letter says the ceremony will take 3 hours.

Dear All, I had a successful interview today at Boston that went by pretty fast. Really professional officers and organized office. They asked me for recent bills and statements and posed just a few questions related to my application form like employment and memberships-- though my case was pretty straightforward overall and it seemed like other people were being asked more questions, so some caution may be in order.

I would like to thank all for their useful comments, especially Mclaren who was very helpful with regard to the parking situation in Boston, my biggest headache. I would recommend going to the city a bit early because there is always some unexpected delay that happens, be it in the parking lot, riding the T or finding the station:)

To my surprise, I was given an Oath letter for a ceremony in Lowell, MA. Has anyone been to the Lowell Memorial Auditorium before? How was your experience? Letter says the ceremony will take 3 hours.

When is your oath scheduled?

Thanks

MasterArcht,

What documents did you carry with you? Did you take your birth certificate? When is the Oath date? Can you be more specific about what questions were asked, etc? Thanks!

Also, could you pls post your timeline?

I had all the docs such as tax transcripts, utility bill, birth certificate, marriage certificate, change of employment details, social security card, Green card except my citation payment receipt.

Office reviewed in detail each and every page of N-400 and since I have said yes to policy citation and they asked for proof for payment of citation and I did not had that handy due to that I was asked to provide within 30 days.

Within a week I went back with receipt but rejected because it was not certified. I went again today and submitted the certified citation details. I hope to hear sooooooooooooooooooon.

BTW the officer mentioned oath ceremony is held once a month in worcester and boston. The next oath is on june 18/19.

Good luck

I have one out of state citation traffic ticket from CT. How can I certifie the receipt of a citation ticket payment? also I would like to know where did you go to submit your "certified citation details" paperwork, how did you do that?

Update

Sent N-400 12/12/08 to Boston
PD 12/15/08
NOA 12/24/08 from National Benefit Center
FP notice 12/29/08
FP Date 1/08/09
Duplicate NOA: 2/2/09
IL: 2/7/09
ID: 4/1/09
OL: 5/8/09
OD: 6/3/09 - Done
PP Appt:6/05/09

I have one out of state citation traffic ticket from CT. How can I certifie the receipt of a citation ticket payment? also I would like to know where did you go to submit your "certified citation details" paperwork, how did you do that?

Hi

Request your RMV to provide a certified copy of your driving record. It should have the details of your citation and payment. If it is out of state then call that RMV and request them to send you ceritifed copy. I should have done this prior to interview. It is delaying my approval/oath now.

Good luck

Hi

Does anyone had to submit additional document after the N-400 interview? How long did it take Boston office to send you the approval and oath letter? Any inputs welcome

Thanks

RD 2/6/2009
FP 3/16/2009
ID 5/12/2009
Additional doc submitted on 5/27/2009
Waiting for approval and oath letter

Passport update

Luckymb - oath was at Moakley Courthouse in Boston.

Update -

Sent N-400 12/12/08 to Boston
PD 12/15/08
NOA 12/24/08 from National Benefit Center
FP notice 12/29/08
FP Date 1/08/09
Duplicate NOA: 2/2/09
IL: 2/7/09
ID: 4/1/09
OL: 5/8/09
OD: 6/3/09 - Done
PP Appt:6/05/09 - Done, I am going to pick it up at 4 today.

more details

MasterArcht,

What documents did you carry with you? Did you take your birth certificate? When is the Oath date? Can you be more specific about what questions were asked, etc? Thanks!

Also, could you pls post your timeline?

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. I took all documents with me relating to my identity, work, SS, residence (from as far back as I could find-- last 5 years), marriage, as well as previous approvals. I was not asked for anything but joint utility bills and bank statements from recent months & a copy of my selective service registration. I took a copy of my birth certificate with me just in case.

The officer went through each line of my application and only asked me certain dates that were already on the form (when did you do this etc.). Then asked me about any changes in my situation like employment since I submitted the application. He was very satisfied with how organized I was and the availability of any documents he asked from me, so the interview went by pretty smoothly.

The oath date is June 23rd in Lowell. Anybody else in the same boat?

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. I took all documents with me relating to my identity, work, SS, residence (from as far back as I could find-- last 5 years), marriage, as well as previous approvals. I was not asked for anything but joint utility bills and bank statements from recent months & a copy of my selective service registration. I took a copy of my birth certificate with me just in case.

The officer went through each line of my application and only asked me certain dates that were already on the form (when did you do this etc.). Then asked me about any changes in my situation like employment since I submitted the application. He was very satisfied with how organized I was and the availability of any documents he asked from me, so the interview went by pretty smoothly.

The oath date is June 23rd in Lowell. Anybody else in the same boat?

Today I have received the oath for June 23rd in Lowell. I went to local office to check the possible oath as I have to travel on business overseas. They told me the case is not approved but was pleasantly surprised to see the oath letter on mail.

Oath Letter

I want to find out if you have changed name as part of N400 when the USCIS send the oath letter do they use the future name or current name. They have send the oath letter with existing name. I thought they use the future name for the oath letter. Please let me know

Thanks

Today I have received the oath for June 23rd in Lowell. I went to local office to check the possible oath as I have to travel on business overseas. They told me the case is not approved but was pleasantly surprised to see the oath letter on mail.

howcome the case is not approved but you received the oath letter? that is quite strange.

howcome the case is not approved but you received the oath letter? that is quite strange.

Boston office told me the case is approved but waiting for supervisor approval then oath letter. However I received the oath letter in mail today. I only have my name confusion now.

Hi

Request your RMV to provide a certified copy of your driving record. It should have the details of your citation and payment. If it is out of state then call that RMV and request them to send you ceritifed copy. I should have done this prior to interview. It is delaying my approval/oath now.

Good luck

Thank you very much! I am glad for you that your joyney is finally over. My situation is pretty much the same has yours. I will file my application in the next two months. You answer made my day, and thank you sso much!!!!! One more question: I have to provide documentations for all citations in the past 5 years either in court appearance or not, right? I have two court appearances in the past 5 years; one that I won and one that I lose. The one that I lose was in CT, out of state. So I will need proof of that too? Thank you for your time bro.

Thank you very much! I am glad for you that your joyney is finally over. My situation is pretty much the same has yours. I will file my application in the next two months. You answer made my day, and thank you sso much!!!!! One more question: I have to provide documentations for all citations in the past 5 years either in court appearance or not, right? I have two court appearances in the past 5 years; one that I won and one that I lose. The one that I lose was in CT, out of state. So I will need proof of that too? Thank you for your time bro.

It is very important to have out of state citation certification from court. My one ticket was from Arizona and initial they sent me without certification and USCIS rejected it hence I have to get it certified.

Sivachintamani,

Question for you please. I see from your posts that you went thru a name change. Was it during the N-400 process? Did you put it in your application that you wanted a name change? Did that in any way delay your oath?

I did not put it in my application and I'm wondering if I could ask the IO during the interview if I could request a name change? What do you think my chances are?

Sivachintamani,

Question for you please. I see from your posts that you went thru a name change. Was it during the N-400 process? Did you put it in your application that you wanted a name change? Did that in any way delay your oath?

I did not put it in my application and I'm wondering if I could ask the IO during the interview if I could request a name change? What do you think my chances are?

Yes you can request a name change during your interview eventhough you said otherwise during the N400 filing. This is perfectly OK. Just make sure to ask for it during the interview with your officer and it is a very simple process. Now if it will delay your oath I am not sure what is the timeline in Boston. Here in Texas name change request will delay the oath by 3 - 6 months. It might be different in MA. But if you indeed want to do the name change and don't mind waiting this is the best route. Doing it after your citizenship process is over may be faster but will cost you extra $$$. Doing it this way all the costs are included in your N400 filing fee.

Yes you can request a name change during your interview eventhough you said otherwise during the N400 filing. This is perfectly OK. Just make sure to ask for it during the interview with your officer and it is a very simple process. Now if it will delay your oath I am not sure what is the timeline in Boston. Here in Texas name change request will delay the oath by 3 - 6 months. It might be different in MA. But if you indeed want to do the name change and don't mind waiting this is the best route. Doing it after your citizenship process is over may be faster but will cost you extra $$$. Doing it this way all the costs are included in your N400 filing fee.

As part of the application I provided details of name change. You can change at the time of interview. It can delay but not sure. Unlike Texas they even allow same day oath. Here in MA oath is presided by a judge hence name change will not delay your oath.