Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

Congrats Mumbaiboston, I am also waiting for my naturalization and it is nice to read about Boston experiences so that I can mentally prepare. Since I applied exactly two months after you, I might be looking at naturalization by Sept 2008. In other words, hope for voting this election year.

Domestic Violence case

I am looking for an individual who had domestic violence incident (2005-06 time frame) and was able to get US citizenship after a long fight with the immigration. Any help regarding the identity (ID/email, etc) of the individual with domestic violence case in 2005-06 time frame will be appreciated.

I have a similar case and I'm already consulting attorneys to get help but I's still looking for an individual with similar case. I'm sorry for my act of domestic violence and have become a better person now. I'm going through lot of mental grief/agony as I go through the citizenship process. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone,

Got my Interview letter this weekend.

Thanks.
Check cashed ............... 6/2/2008
FP notice letter rec ........ 6/16/2008
FP Date ....................... 6/24/2008
Interview Notice ............ 7/28/2008
Interview Date .............. 9/29/2008
Oath Notice ... ???
Oath Date ... ???

Mknaga, could you please give more details about your case. Is your name rather unique? Do you have a clear record with no tickets or criminal activities? Obviously things are moving forward for you rather fast though I see that you have two months time between interview notice and date as compared to the normal one month. I am trying to estimate my timeline since I applied exactly one week after you.

July 28th (4 weeks after Interview) called USCIS and status is that the file is with the local office pending "Background check/File from national records"
Interesting response since they shouldn't be scheduling an interview until all background checks have been completed.

Mknaga, could you please give more details about your case. Is your name rather unique? Do you have a clear record with no tickets or criminal activities? Obviously things are moving forward for you rather fast though I see that you have two months time between interview notice and date as compared to the normal one month. I am trying to estimate my timeline since I applied exactly one week after you.

Hello del0175,
My name is unique. I do have 4 traffic tickets that I listed on my application
I think the time frame is normal I see another June receipt got the same interview date as mine.

Hope for Boston DO applicant

From Boston Globe: Excerpts below
Jonathan Scharfen, acting director of US Citizenship and Immigration Services, met with 100 immigration advocates and state and federal workers during a visit to Boston.

By next June, 98 percent of new background checks should be finished in 30 days, and the remaining 2 percent will take no more than 90 days.

Last budget year, 26,000 citizenship applications were processed in Boston; this year that number will surpass 32,000. Completing citizenship applications in Boston is expected to take nearly nine months by September, but the immigration agency's goal is to reduce the processing time to five months in Boston and nationwide by January.

Right, and next year some new Acting Director will promise something else by June 2010. Meanwhile Congress will pass new, convoluted laws and continue to refuse to pay for this bureaucracy even while they upbraid them for slow performance and their offices respond to "concerns" about processing times.

Advise needed from fellow friends.

I have been reading this forum on and off and have found all the information here to be very useful. I need some advise as to what should I do I had filed for N400 in July of last year (07) and haven't heard anything yet besides finger printing that was in September. I have called up a few times to USCIS and they give the same answer as always 'we are working on it" your case is not out of our normal processing time, so just hang on and keep watching the USCIS processing dates. I have spoken with USCIS folks and they say there's no need for any info pass as your case is in normal processing time, though looking at this board now it looks how long my case has taken, and is still pending, Suggestions are really appreciated.

Application mailed - 7/13/2007
Application received - 7/19/2007
Priority date - 7/19/2007
Fingerprint appt date - 9/4/2007
Interview letter received ------
Interview date ------
Citizenship Oath -----

Last edited by a moderator:
when you call them, do you speak to actual ofiicer or to the rent-a-drone's that first pick up the phone. the initial folks don't know anything and they're just a waster of (your) money. I would think that if you actually talked to an IO they'd be able to tell you if it's name check or not.

When I call USCIS customer service # the agent picks up & everybody tells the same...how would I speak with a IO ?? can you please explain...thanks in advance....

Interview scheduled

Filed early June 08
FP early July 08
LPR employment based, AC21 used
N400 based on marriage to US citizen
Rather unique name
Absolutely clean record, and not even a traffic or parking ticket
No foreign travel longer than one week
In summary, a very straightforward, clear-cut case
IL schedule Oct 8, 08

When I call USCIS customer service # the agent picks up & everybody tells the same...how would I speak with a IO ?? can you please explain...thanks in advance....

Hi DelhiBoston,

Sorry to hear that you're still in the queue. We started together last summer, any most everyone has long been naturalized.

I agree that the USCIS phone reps are rent-a-drones... they are trained to say "processing time is not yet up" so that USCIS saves resources by not having IOs respond to inquiries. Others have posted that certain number sequences get you to an IO. Something about saying you never got a receipt notice? Try the general search in this forum, maybe you'll find it.

In any case, with your timeline, your are most definitely out of normal Boston processing. One of two things have happened:
1) Most likely, you're stuck in the FBI background check. Unless you can find the phone options that bypasses the rent-a-drone, you'll only know for sure by infopass. However, there really isn't much you can do about the FBI check, they're really slow if you get pended for secondary FBI review.
2) If, in the unlikely scenario your app got lost or miscategorized somewhere, the DO infopass rep will figure this out when they look for the app, and can put it back into the processing queue.

Best of luck, at this time I would definitely spend the time to stop by for infopass. I called the 800 number many times and they were useless. USCIS would save so much money if they could give their 800# reps access to read your case details, I'm convinced all they do is type your A# into the case status website and regurgitate what you can find out yourself.

-ML

Ml_boston,

Thanks so much for such a detailed reply. Actually the day you replied I started my 10 day vacation to west coast, so don't feel that I am rude to not responding to your post.

I thought of checking up on info pass, but while I was on vacation, got the IL, for first week of october.

Though it was slower compared to other folks in this forum, but what the heck. Actually it's on time per USCIS website if we check the processing status online, as we say there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

Best of luck to you all.

Ml_boston,

Thanks so much for such a detailed reply. Actually the day you replied I started my 10 day vacation to west coast, so don't feel that I am rude to not responding to your post.

I thought of checking up on info pass, but while I was on vacation, got the IL, for first week of october.

Though it was slower compared to other folks in this forum, but what the heck. Actually it's on time per USCIS website if we check the processing status online, as we say there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

Best of luck to you all.

Congratulations! I'm guessing you just got unstuck from name-check.

You're running really close to the October 15 deadline for voter registration. Hopefully, USCIS understands the deadline and has enough large naturalization ceremonies scheduled. The Boston Globe is very active in advocating and reporting on the immigration backlog, you (and others on this thread) may want to write a letter to them describing your situation and seeing if the Globe could ask USCIS to set up large ceremonies prior to 10/15. Massachusetts often places voter registration booths outside naturalization oaths.

-ML

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo for indian embassy

Most of the shops here take passport size photograph typical for US passport. Is there anyone take picture with size compatible for Indian Embassy in and around Boston, MA.
Your inputs will be very helpful.
Thanks,

Most of the shops here take passport size photograph typical for US passport. Is there anyone take picture with size compatible for Indian Embassy in and around Boston, MA.
Your inputs will be very helpful.
Thanks,

You can try the local portrait studios (eg: motofoto). They usually have equipment and know-how to customize a portrait to any requirement, so you could give the Embassy's requirements to them. If you can find an Indian-owned local portrait studio, they probably will know exactly what to do.

-ML