Boston MA - N-400 TimeLine

I'm finally a U.S citizen after 24 yrs of being here.

- after almost being deported for spending 3 months away from the U.S
- after spending time in many detention rooms at various airports (even with valid documents)
- after not being allowed to return to the U.S to see my own family, even with a valid green card

...all because of having the wrong skin color, and having the wrong kind of passport.

I finally feel free.

Good luck to everyone!!

You need to start a new thread and tell us those stories ;)

New application

Hi Everyone,

I just mailed my N-400 application on 5/23/2008.

Thanks.
Check cashed ............... 6/2/2008
FP notice letter rec ... ???
FP Date Done ... ???
Interview Notice ... ???
Interview Date ... ???
Oath Notice ... ???
Oath Date ... ???

Oath Ceremony

My husband has a date for his citizenship ceremony in Worcester. Does anyone know about how many guests you are allowed to bring? Is there a limit? Are people actually checked in together under the new citizen's name?
Please reply as any information would be helpful so that we can make arrangements with our family members. Thanks

My husband has a date for his citizenship ceremony in Worcester. Does anyone know about how many guests you are allowed to bring? Is there a limit? Are people actually checked in together under the new citizen's name?
Please reply as any information would be helpful so that we can make arrangements with our family members. Thanks

I think it's safe to bring at least 4-5 people but they might want to go there early. A lot of times there are not enough chairs. When you go in you just have to say you're with your husband and he is being naturalized. You can all sit together. Last time I checked, you can sit wherever you want. Congrats to you and your husband.

Worcester Oath Ceremony Guests

I think it's safe to bring at least 4-5 people but they might want to go there early. A lot of times there are not enough chairs. When you go in you just have to say you're with your husband and he is being naturalized. You can all sit together. Last time I checked, you can sit wherever you want. Congrats to you and your husband.

Thanks for your reply -
So here is another question. My husband went into the BCIS office today in Boston to ask this question and the employee he spoke with said, it shouldn't be a problem. You can bring as many people as you'd like and he asked my husband how many people he was thinking. My husband, in his optimism and excitement said 10-15, when realistically, we are looking at 5-6 adults and our two children. The employee went to check with his supervisor and came back with the answer of 2. He said he could only bring in 2 people. When he asked about our children, the employee told him the children should be okay, 2 adults. So now my husband is concerned that his two parents who have plans to travel in from out of town and my parents won't be able to attend with us. Is there anyone you can direct us to for clarification? Also, is there a difference between locations, for instance if due to space, it is more limited at certain locations than others? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

New application

Hi Everyone,

I just mailed my N-400 application on 5/23/2008. Got my FP notice.

Thanks.
Check cashed ............... 6/2/2008
FP notice letter rec ........ 6/16/2008
FP Date ....................... 6/24/2008
Interview Notice ... ???
Interview Date ... ???
Oath Notice ... ???
Oath Date ... ???

mknaga

have you ever received your receit notice from uscis? A friend of mine has the same dates as you have ,his check has been cleared with the bank on the 3rd of June but he never received a notice of action.
Thanks.

going early for finger printing

Hi my brother got his finger print notice from the boston office today. He is going to be out of town on the scheduled date for the appointment. I know he can reschedule but can he go on some other day before the scheduled appointment?? Has anyone tried this before at the boston office?? He does not want to delay his citizenship application by rescheduling his appointment.
He is travelling for work reasons .
Please share your experience.

mknaga

have you ever received your receit notice from uscis? A friend of mine has the same dates as you have ,his check has been cleared with the bank on the 3rd of June but he never received a notice of action.
Thanks.

Hello anmn,
Yes, Got the Receipt on June 10, with in a week received the FP notice.
Ask your friend to check the uscis web site. Here is the link,
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/index.jsp

If check is cleared, on the check they write your Receipt Number:
ESC-0021XXXXX,
NOTE: you need to add * in place of -, it will show the case status.
ESC*0021XXXXX,

Good luck,
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boston timeline update

Mailed application in early June and got the FP notice today for appointment on July 3rd.

Went for my FP today in Boston. Application was mailed exactly one month ago.

For the benefit of those going to Boston ASC for fingerprinting and you are driving in to Boston, arrive early. Mine was at 1 PM but I am generally starving by that time so I was hoping to be done early and eat my lunch. So I came in around 1220 into Boston. Saw the rates for parking at Government Center and they were like $20 for an hour. Decided to drive around and was lucky to find street parking and I was done for a buck. If you have time you can just try to find street parking rather. I also showed up very early for my appointment and in less than 5 minutes I was done. Nice, pleasant, painless experience.

While not needed, I brought my passport anyway. Came in handy when they needed the first names of my parents (I just wanted to make sure I had it right because their names are in a non-Roman language and one can use either a v or w to spell them).

lawyer for interview

Hi,

I am looking for a local immigration lawyer in Boston area who can accompany
me for my interview. I have a arrest record but the case got dismissed "without
any prejudice". I am worried that the IO would still consider my character as
not moral enough.

Are there any online sites with the listing of good immigration lawyers or does
anybody know a good lawyer (with reasonable fees) who can represent me at
the interview? Anybody heard about Mintz & Levin (www.mintz.com) ?

Thanks a lot.

UHC028, try Kirk Carter http://www.ftwlaw.com/attorney.php?attorney_name=Kirk A. Carter

I met with him for a consultation. Great guy, professional, and knows what he is doing. He was not pushy or aggressive. Actually, contrary to what you would expect, he told me that I really did not need an attorney for naturalization. Since you are so far into the process, I think it might cost you a few hundred bucks for him to understand your case, prepare you for the interview and accompany you. Don't be surprised, though, that this gentleman advises that you are good to go alone.

Please see thread for more details on my case and please let me know if you are in the same situation.
http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=282262

Myself and my wife have the same timeline.
------------
Boston DO
N-400 Receipt Date : 3/20/08 | FP : 04/24/08 : | Interview : 07/01/08
N-652 : Passed test, case cannot be determined at this time ticked
Reason Given : Awaiting immigration file from another office
Oath ceremony : ????

Hey guys,

I had my interview on June 4th, and when I found out that the oath was going to be scheduled to take place on August 21st, I asked the officer to reschedule as I had an overseas trip planned on that date. I know this is a big no-no for most of you, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Anyways, I finally I got the oath letter today, and I am now scheduled to take it on September 11th.

it is probably not very wise to reschedule oath, but if you have to do it, looks like it delays the process by about 3 weeks.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting....

oath letter non available

I had my interview on june 24, and, after being approved for citizenship, I was told that that day they didn't have the oath letter ready to give out. It's been a month and I still haven't received my letter. Anybody else was interviewed that same day or had a similar experience?
Thank you

US Citizen

Dear All,

I have been a slient observer on this forum and received my citizenship on July 24, 2008

N-400 Received : 04/02/2008
FP : 04/26/2008
Interview Letter received: 05/28/2008
Interview Date : 07/17/2008
Oath Date

US citizen

Sorry for the incomplete post

Dear All,

I have been a slient observer on this forum and my wife and I received citizenship on July 24, 2008.

VSC-Boston DO
N-400 Received : 04/02/2008
FP : 04/26/2008
Interview Letter received: 05/28/2008
Interview Date : 07/17/2008
Oath Date : 07/24/2008
PP applied (expedite): 07/24/2008
PP received : 07/31/2008

Interview: BOth (wife and me) arrived at Boston JFK bldg around 10 am and got street parking meter.
- Entered the bldg at 10.30 am for 11 am interview
- Gave our IL to a Clerk behind window. He located our files
and asked us to go and sit in front of window 15
- Officer then called my wife and a second officer called me
- These guys checked our GC and Driver license
- Civic test, read and write a sentence
- Passed and then were asked to go into a waiting area for
interview
- wife was called first at 11 am sharp. She was out by 11.15
She a traffic ticket for speeding after we applied and
mentioned to IO. He made a note. Also for oath
requirement questions Section 10 Part H, we had made a
mistake of filling it NO instead of YES. She told to the IO
he made the correction and had her initial
- Asked her wait for oath letter

- I was called at 11.20 am and my IO asked me if there are
any corrections and/or updates. Mentioned the error and he
corrected them. Then yes/no questions and out in 10
minutes.

We waited till 1 pm to get our oath letter for July 24, 08

Had oath ceremony on July 24, 08 and applied for passport which was recieved on July 31, 2008

Congrats to all who received their citizenship

CHEERS!!!!

Mumbaiboston