BobSmith,JonyCash,Vorpal,please I want to hear from in this regard:

Diamonds

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
My wife passed the Interview on March 3rd, 2010 and got the Oath Letter sameday, She is Changing her last Name.I want to Apply US Passport for my wife and 3kids.But I want to change the Names for all three Kids.So what is the procedure? We have to change the Names Before Applying the US Passports or Can we change the Names when my wife take Oath?(Oath time)

1. Is it possible for my children too, because my wife also changing the last Name.
2. Do we legaly need to apply N600 for my children or the US Passport is enough with Passport Card? 3.
4. How much cost to apply Us PassPassport and the Passport Card ?
5. What Kinds of Docs we need for aplying Us Passport for my kids?
6. Can we apply Kid's Passport at the same time when I apply my wife's Us Passport?
7. What Documents do we need for the Kids?
8. Do we need to Inform Indian Embassy when we become Us Citizen or Just Apply for the Indian Parmanet visa Card? There is not Dual Citizenship allowed with
India right?
9. To Apply Us Passport Both Mother-Father should be US Citizen or just any one is ok?

JonyCash,BobSmith,Vorpal and all you guys Plese advise me.

Is your wife having her name changed as part of naturalization process or is she filing for a separate name change via court process?
In any case, you'll have to file a separate name change request via courts for your kids. They can't piggy back off your wife's name change.

You can find the requested info on US passport at the state department site:

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

Once you have your US passport, you'll need to surrender your Indian passport to Indian consulate. They can also provide you information on how to apply for OCI.

http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=174

How to change the Kids Name if wife going to take Oath soon, also, she will change her name too?

How to change the Kids Name if wife going to take Oath soon, also, she will change her name too?
I want to change my 3 kids name before we apply Us Passport for my wife and 3 kids. How to change my kids name before we apply Us Passport? They have Green Card.
Please advise me.

Thanks.

What Document do we need to Apply Us Passport?

Hi,
My wife going to take Oath on April 1st and I want to Apply Us Passport on second day as soon as my wife take Oath and become Citizen. So I want to know what Document do we need to Apply Us Passport for My wife, and Kids? My kid have Green Card Only.
Also I want to change my kids names so whats the procedure for that/
Please Advise me.
thanks.

For wife's passport you will need her original certificate of naturalization, filled out application form, fees, photos. For kids, filled out forms, photos, their original green cards, their original foreign birth certificates showing at least mother's name, copy of your wife's certificate of naturalization. You are advised to apply for your wife's passport and kids' passports together.

Hi,
My wife going to take Oath on April 1st and I want to Apply Us Passport on second day as soon as my wife take Oath and become Citizen. So I want to know what Document do we need to Apply Us Passport for My wife, and Kids? My kid have Green Card Only.
Also I want to change my kids names so whats the procedure for that/
Please Advise me.
thanks.

You need to contact your county court for the name change procedure for children. If you want the passports in their new names, try to get that taken care of ASAP.

My wife is Going to take Oath on April 1st and she is going to change last name too. Bob can you please help me to clear few things as folllows:
1.What Docs we need for Applying Us Passport for wife and 3 kids?
2.What is the Procedure for the Oath? Is it one on one or every one take all together? Do we need to remember National Anthem? How long does it take after we enter in Ins?
3.I passed the Interview but still waiting for Oath Letter so can my only apply Us Passport for the kids before I get the Citizenship? I think any one parent can apply?
4 How long does it takes aprox to Change Kids name in Court? if you know aprox? Bob, some one confuse me that I have to go to Indian Court to Change Kids names, is it trure?
I will really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I need to go to India to Change my Kids Names?
I stay in New York, and not willing to travel soon.
Please clear me.
Thanks.

Hi,
My wife going to take Oath on April 1st and I want to Apply Us Passport on second day as soon as my wife take Oath and become Citizen. So I want to know what Document do we need to Apply Us Passport for My wife

Her original certificate and driver license plus payment (check, cash, credit card etc)

Better checkout what payment method they accept or bring your BOTH checkbooks with at lleast two checks available AND enough cash in case they only accept one method

1.What Docs we need for Applying Us Passport for wife and 3 kids?

Look at the passport application.

2.What is the Procedure for the Oath? Is it one on one or every one take all together? Do we need to remember National Anthem? How long does it take after we enter in Ins?

The entire process takes 1.5-3 hours. You all say the oath together.

3.I passed the Interview but still waiting for Oath Letter so can my only apply Us Passport for the kids before I get the Citizenship? I think any one parent can apply?

Both parents need to apply in person for the passport of a child under 16, even if they are not citizens.

4 How long does it takes aprox to Change Kids name in Court? if you know aprox? Bob, some one confuse me that I have to go to Indian Court to Change Kids names, is it trure?

Why would they need to go to an Indian court? The children are American citizens living in America.

The naturalization process will not include name changes for them. You will have to change their names via a court process in your area. Search the web or contact your town's City Hall for details.

In order to avoid delays with naturalization, avoid changing their names in the middle of your naturalization process. Wait until after you become a US citizen.

If you want to change kid's names first, you will have to get his Indian passport changed, then his green card changed and then only you can apply for his US passport under derivative citizenship. For changing name in Indian passport you are required to advertise in a local indian newspaper. For example see the procedure listed in Consulate General of India, San Francisco's website:

http://www.cgisf.org/passport/ppts_cn.html

It is a complicated process and one should not go through it unless it is absolutely necessary. Why would you want to change kid's names now?

Diamonds, are all your kids already US citizens (ie, were they all born here in the US)? It almost sounds to me like they are not and you're saying that they are deriving citizenship as a result of you and your wife's citizenship naturalizations.

I'll let the experts respond to whether both parents need to have completed naturalization before their minor kids derive their citizenship ... I think this is also what he is asking since his wife is going to become a citizen before he will and he wants to apply for his children's passports when his wife does so.

JPBoston,
You are 100% correct thats what I mean to know. I am not citizen yet, passed the interview but still waiting for the Oath Letter, But I want to Apply based on my Wife's Citizenship Alone. Because all family want to Travel to India for School Hollidays for two months and the Tickets are already Purchased for June 30th, so I dont want to wait for my Oath Letter to come or till I get citizenship complete. Since my wife is going to take Oath on April 1st.
and I myself want to travel before one month my family travel to India so my wife cant do the procedure for the Passports and Indian Visas and Name Change so I want to finish before I left for One Month.

So Its Important Question: " Is it possible we can Apply based on only my wife's citizenship alone?"

Diamonds, are all your kids already US citizens (ie, were they all born here in the US)? It almost sounds to me like they are not and you're saying that they are deriving citizenship as a result of you and your wife's citizenship naturalizations.

I'll let the experts respond to whether both parents need to have completed naturalization before their minor kids derive their citizenship ... I think this is also what he is asking since his wife is going to become a citizen before he will and he wants to apply for his children's passports when his wife does so.

So Its Important Question: " Is it possible we can Apply based on only my wife's citizenship alone?"

Diamonds, only 1 USC parent is required to pass citizenship, so long as the child is in the legal & physical custody of that parent.

I agree with you I must wait to become my Wife the Us Citizen then I should go to court to change the names.

The naturalization process will not include name changes for them. You will have to change their names via a court process in your area. Search the web or contact your town's City Hall for details.

In order to avoid delays with naturalization, avoid changing their names in the middle of your naturalization process. Wait until after you become a US citizen.

I think I dont agree with you. If any one parent become Us Citizen then that mean My Kids are automatic Us Citizen then I should go to Us court to change the Name. I agree with Jackolantern.

If you want to change kid's names first, you will have to get his Indian passport changed, then his green card changed and then only you can apply for his US passport under derivative citizenship. For changing name in Indian passport you are required to advertise in a local indian newspaper. For example see the procedure listed in Consulate General of India, San Francisco's website:

http://www.cgisf.org/passport/ppts_cn.html

It is a complicated process and one should not go through it unless it is absolutely necessary. Why would you want to change kid's names now?

JPBoston,
You are 100% correct thats what I mean to know. I am not citizen yet, passed the interview but still waiting for the Oath Letter, But I want to Apply based on my Wife's Citizenship Alone. Because all family want to Travel to India for School Hollidays for two months and the Tickets are already Purchased for June 30th, so I dont want to wait for my Oath Letter to come or till I get citizenship complete. Since my wife is going to take Oath on April 1st.
and I myself want to travel before one month my family travel to India so my wife cant do the procedure for the Passports and Indian Visas and Name Change so I want to finish before I left for One Month.

If you have already bought your family tickets for your trip to India and your wife and children get their US passports with their new names, won't you have a problem because the names are now different on their tickets and their passports? I am assuming you bought their tickets under their current names and not their future changed names.