Biggest reason(s) for N400 denials?

gc_guru

Registered Users (C)
From the statistics on the naturalization data posted by USCIS, does anyone know what is the biggest reason( or top 10 reasons) for N400 rejection?

Also does anyone know any AC21 beneficiaries who took the benefit ( even incorrectly) & got rejected.

I see many questioned during the interviews but I haven't seen any rejects.

The AC21 users are recently starting to apply for n400 so not a lot of history to make proper conclusions. Of the cases reported here, I don't remember many denials but then I may have missed posts on that topic.

From the statistics on the naturalization data posted by USCIS, does anyone know what is the biggest reason( or top 10 reasons) for N400 rejection?

Also does anyone know any AC21 beneficiaries who took the benefit ( even incorrectly) & got rejected.

I see many questioned during the interviews but I haven't seen any rejects.

I used AC21 (incorrectly, as you put it. USCIS guidance wasn't out at the time I was affected). AC21 did not even figure in my interview. My case is still pending approval though. But that's for another reason - continuous residency.

4 of my colleagues were affected by AC21 at the same time I was affected. All of them became citizens in the last 3-6 months. AC21 did not figure in any of their interviews.

Failing English requirement , past crimes and not meeting residency requirements probably are some of the most common reasons for denials.

In 2006, US Citizenship and Immigration Services denied 120,722 naturalization petitions.
The 120,722 applicants whom USCIS denied citizenship received denials for one or more of the following reasons: applicant could not prove five years of permanent residence in the United States; applicant was determined to lack allegiance to the United States; applicant was determined to have bad moral character; or applicant failed the English language or American civics test.

http://www.migrationinformation.org/USFocus/print.cfm?ID=670

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people also miscalculate and apply too early. It's difficult to say. Most people who come to this board know what they are doing and the rate of denial we see in the board is extremely low.

How can they be denied for using AC21, when it is a provision explicitly authorized by law? Or are you referring to denials for other job-change reasons such as "leaving the employer too soon after GC approval", or "incorrect usage of AC21" (e.g. the next job was not sufficiently similar)?

Jackolantern,
I was referring to situations like "multiple AC21 usage", not notifying USCIS of AC21 usage etc which is not clear in the regulations.

BTW, the non-residency & criminal reasons for denial may be understandable , I don't understand people failing the English or civics test. They are too easy for even my 1st grader !!
People have to try hard to fail these tests...

BTW, the non-residency & criminal reasons for denial may be understandable , I don't understand people failing the English or civics test. They are too easy for even my 1st grader !!
People have to try hard to fail these tests...

Try telling that to someone who doesn't speak English.

Yes, I know some people don't speak English but the %ge of rejects seem too disproportionate to the non-English speaker amongst the immigration communities.

Also the level of English is too low. Even if you don't speak it, if you can attend a ( free community courses for USC ) weekend class for about a month, you can pick these up fairly quickly...especially if you have spent a good amount from your low wages as application fees.

Considering that Latinos make up over 30% of naturalization applicants it's easy to conceive that they have a higher rate of English illiteracy and are denied more often on the English and civics tests despite the availability of free courses.

:confused:Last sentence did not make sense to me.
:confused:If latinos and others who have no to very little knowledge of English, how do they manage to get drivers licenses? How do they pass the written exam required for getting the license?

You're assuming that they actually have drivers license. It's also easier to pass
a multiple answer DMV test than an oral English test.

I saw him driving and parking. He was getting out of the drivers seat when I spoke to him. So you are right I was still "assuming". It didn't cross my mind that people could be driving without a drivers license.
My dmv has 20 questions in English. One needs a score of 70 to pass. I think for person with no knowledge of English that would still be really hard to do.

Actually many DMV departments allow you to take the test in Spanish or other languages, so the use of l English is not required to pass a DMV test.

Yes, I think one of the few government benefits that require knowledge of English is naturalization. Many people will disagree with me, but I think they should remove this requirement. One can be a good U.S. citizen with little knowledge of English. Just consider that some times one can get better civics information in their native tongue than in English. If you don't believe me, read this interesting article from the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/09/AR2008050902540.html

In Switzerland, officials visit an applicant's house to see how Swiss the house is before approving a naturalisation application :)

Yes, I think one of the few government benefits that require knowledge of English is naturalization. Many people will disagree with me, but I think they should remove this requirement. One can be a good U.S. citizen with little knowledge of English.

Another great reason is that they volunteer to much info at the interview...IO are like sponges and they are listening to everything you said. People should make copies of their apps and look over them careful ....what you write on those application is what they go by unless you have committed a crime and they have to question your moral character and even then people should keep those answer to the point and consistent.....Yes consistency is the name of the game all across. Example if you write on your apps. that you have had tax problem in the past expect from them to ask you for a letter to proof that you have paid that up otherwise they wouldnt know unless you have been endicted for a crime involving tax evasion and so on..............

Interestingly, 1999 and 2000 saw the largest case of denials at 45% of total applications for both years.
That must have been when they were on a rampage of denying people for any minor thing like a speeding ticket. I wonder how many of those wrong denials were changed to approvals. The denials for well-publicized cases like Kichul Lee were overturned, but somehow I figure most of the rest remained as denials ... because most of the denied applicants either didn't know about the ruling that stopped INS from giving those denials for trivial reasons, and many who knew about the ruling couldn't afford a lawyer and didn't know what to do on their own to get their denial overturned.

Last edited by a moderator: