Best way to "study" and "prepare" for the US Citizenship Interview?

I would say if you are registered and using this forum, the exam will be a piece of cake for you with some basic preparation. You know how to use a computer and type in words. I was in a Fremont Adult Education center to see what their citizenship class is like for a few days and I was surprised about the knowledge of the people. There are people who do not know hot to spell or pronounce constitution. There were people who did not know the current president/vice president of USA. I saw some people who cannot remember answer to question even after repeating several times.

I told i came on h1-b to a guy next to me and there was a guy sitting next to me and i asked on what visa he came into the country. he silently told me he sneaked in long back .. he wants to study for citizenship in spanish. i saw chinese ladies studying from chinese citizenship exam.

i wondered, this is america, should not all speak english at least in citizenship exams ..

Interesting...why would people go to the trouble of taking the optional test? Is that an easier format for some and hence they prefer it?
Otherwise I assume many folks will decline the voluntary test and not take the trouble of choosing it.

The benefit is that you basically get 2 chances at the test. If you fail the volunteer one, you then take the original one right there and then. Otherwise if you fail, you will have to re-take the test at a later date. And yes, they're really not all that different, so best to get a change of doing 2 rather then just one if you fail...

I use the CD. I have it on while I'm driving and after listening to it a couple of times without even paying attention I discovered I knew most of the answers.

I then focussed on the more difficult ones like the original 13 states and a couple of others and now I'm done.

It depends on the DO. Mine (almost a year ago, in Dallas) was oral. The IO only asked 6 questions (I got all 6 right, you need to get 6 of 10 correct).

They also dictate a very simple sentence to you that you must write out correctly. And they ask you to read an equally simple sentence.

If you've lived here for 5 years, read and write some English, paid a little attention to how the government works, and spend an hour or three studying the test, it should be a breeze. The questions are *not* very hard.

Where can we get this CD that all of you are talking about?
Is the CD only given during FP or can we get it otherwise?

Where can we get this CD that all of you are talking about?
Is the CD only given during FP or can we get it otherwise?

I got mine when I went for my FP. They give you a booklet with all 96 questions and answers and inside the booklet is an audio CD which has two parts. The first goes into some background covering the questions and the second part has just the questions and answers.

The 96 questions (with answers) are in the back of the Guide to Naturalization.

I never received a booklet or a CD. There are flash cards you can order from the government on line. My wife got so nervous studying for the interview that I was considering getting her a set of the cards for Christmas last year (several months after her oath) - as a joke.

Kansas City N400 2008 Filers

02/01/2008 - Applied to NVC
05/20/2008 - Interview Date.
Waiting for the INterview and Oath.

Any body who are in the same boat

In my opinion, best preperation is to keep eyes and ears open for the 3/5 years as a PR. Most of the needed information will filter in somehow.

I've never heard of someone failing the citizenship test....anybody know someone that failed it? meaning they missed a lot of questions

I've never heard of someone failing the citizenship test....anybody know someone that failed it? meaning they missed a lot of questions

I've heard of people (mostly elderly) failing the test since their grasp of English wasn't strong enough to answer the questions correctly.

right now catch " John Adams " on HBO if you have it. Absolutely amazing!! Also you can read the book 1776. If you are somewhat interested in history and politics it is very easy. You can also study using the booklet they gave you at fingerprinting or USCIS online had various PDF files you can print out e.g flashcards and such...