becoming a US citizen means I now have to get visas to visit some visa-free countries

American2008

Registered Users (C)
becoming a US citizen means I now have to get visas to visit some visa-free countries that I didn't have to with my original country's passport.....

has this happened to anyone who recently became US citizens?

I'm wondering if it's okay for me to leave(and re-enter) the US with my US paspsort, while still using my original country's passport to get visa-free access when visiting those countries?

Yes it is.

You must use the US passport to enter & leave the US otherwise you can use whatever works best for you.

Did you automatically lose your original citizenship by becoming a US citizen?

no, my original country's nationality laws specifically allows dual nationality. in fact, it is a very long and difficult legal process if I want to voluntarily give my my original citizenship. (usually takes at a minimum 4 to 5 years to do so)

no, my original country's nationality laws specifically allows dual nationality. in fact, it is a very long and difficult legal process if I want to voluntarily give my my original citizenship. (usually takes at a minimum 4 to 5 years to do so)
Then you should be able to keep visiting those countries with your original country's passport. You don't need to use your US passport to enter other countries.

Then you should be able to keep visiting those countries with your original country's passport. You don't need to use your US passport to enter other countries.

so I'm guess the US government won't care if I use another passport when I'm outside of the US, right? :)

Just as an after thought if you are heading to a country where you would need a visa as a us citizen you will need to present your othe passport to the airline at check in so that they can verify that you can travel without a visa.

so I'm guess the US government won't care if I use another passport when I'm outside of the US, right? :)
They don't care. And in many cases, if you kept your original citizenship, your original country will require you to use their passport to enter, not the US passport.