Bankruptcy

Waiting4nothing

Registered Users (C)
If I have bankruptcy in Canada (still not discharge yet), would it affect my chance to apply for TN Visa, H1-3 Visa, I-140 and I-485?

Thanks

Nop! At least not for TN/H1 etc. I don't know about GC. CIS does not care about Canadian credit history. If they did, it'd be the US one.

What it will hamper you with is establishing credit in US, snce you can't (or at least you'd be crazy to) request that Cdn agencies contact the US creditors for your Cdn history.

many new TNers need to do this siunce the SSN they are issued when they first get TN has no history, and no history is equated to bad history when it comes to getting credit.

But from an immigration point of view there is no adverse effect. In fact, having poor credit habits makes one a prime candidate to become an american.:D

welcome to America

In fact, having poor credit habits makes one a prime candidate to become an american.:D

^^ Ditto, and as nelsona should have said, welcome to America...U, Sir! will fit right in...

In all seriousness, your Canadian credit file is only good in US for the first 6 months i.e. if u want to buy a car, the lender can use your CDN credit history within assess your creditworthyness in your initial 6 months. After that, they dont *usually* ask for it.

FYI...I bought a $28K car in US within 1 yr (with ZERO down!!! ONLY IN AMERICA), and the lender (VWofA credit) did not even ask for my Canadian SIN. All they needed was passport/TN/US SSN. They have a "foreign worker" program, which u provide a letter from H/R with a recent paystub, and you are good to go!

with the way the economy is looking, I am happy I sold that toy 2 yrs later for $27K with 25K miles

with the way the economy is looking, I am happy I sold that toy 2 yrs later for $27K with 25K miles

wow, you made a very good deal.

I bought the 2004 Civic in Canada for $28K in 2004 and wasn't able to sell and bring with me. now its not even worth 5K with 100K(kilometers) on it and just being used as 2nd car.

wow, you made a very good deal.

I bought the 2004 Civic in Canada for $28K in 2004 and wasn't able to sell and bring with me. now its not even worth 5K with 100K(kilometers) on it and just being used as 2nd car.

I did A LOT of research before I bought that toy.

It was a 2004 VW R32, which has a very, very strong & loyal enthusiast group...I loved it too, but wifey put her foot down after I took her on a trip from Atlanta to Toronto in 11 hrs nonstop...that toy easily held 180MPH no problem. I still remember with pride how Yorkdale VW employees came into the service bay to see the **rare** R32 in DA HAUS getting an oil change..they were all gawking :eek:

Thanks guys. I think I deserve for the inconvenience in US for my bad record in Canada, for which I do no want to be but no choice for me at that time. Someone told me I-140 and I-485 will require a background check. Do you guys know if it includes bankruptcy check?

...for which I do no want to be but no choice for me at that time...

Hey dude, dont feel apologetic, how do u think rich people keep their assets i.e. Donald Trump etc??? or how the Lehman Bro's will get to keep their money...

I used to look down on people going thru bankruptcy, but after working in a financial institution for 4 yrs, I know the game pretty well now, and what's a little credit ding if you know how to move your money (at least before they get it?)

get TN, or GC, get here, make money, lose money, whatever, enjoy life...;)

I used to look down on people going thru bankruptcy, but after working in a financial institution for 4 yrs, I know the game pretty well now, and what's a little credit ding if you know how to move your money (at least before they get it?)

I guess know we should only only down on those who suggest bankruptcy fraud, if that is what you are suggesting.

While we're on this subject, I've always wondered about people's financial situation with respect to the GC process. What are the ramifications. It would be nice to know if anyone knows of real life experience and not conjecture.

BK? Tax Liens? Charge/Write Offs? Medial Bills?

Just curious.

.. I've always wondered about people's financial situation with respect to the GC process. What are the ramifications. It would be nice to know if anyone knows of real life experience and not conjecture.

BK? Tax Liens? Charge/Write Offs? Medial Bills?

With my GC in montreal, W.R.T my financial position, I simply presented a letter from my employer and 2 recent paystubs. There was no request for bank statements (US/CDN), no credit report profile (US/CDN) and not even a request for the Canadian SIN.

This seemed to imply that even if my CDN credit was shot, there was no way they could tell, or cared.

But then again, I came in via DV, so there may be additional requiremments for other IV applicant groups

let's put this to bed.

Other than proving your income (or the income of the person or company that sponsors you) your financial situation does not come into play at any point in the immig process.

They check your taxes, to ensure that you are reporting your income, and in employment cases they *might* check your paystubs (although it is for future job).

Otherwise, they absolutely don't care.

Remember, it's "Give us your ... poor..."

nelsona,

Not quite ready for bed yet. What do they check about your taxes? That they are filed?

I was trading currency and lost money. I though it would be a temp situation so I used the money in my credit cards. Then I lost again. The debts in credit card is so huge I have no way to repay them based on my income in Toronto. The bankruptcy then come.

I blame no one buy myself. I feel so desprated here and I just want go to US to start new life.

According to procedure of TN and H1-B, I think I am ok. However, I am not sure if I am still ok if I apply I-140 & I-485.