Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Guys,

I am almost there, oath ceremony scheduled for Nov 19th, at 9am. I wonder why I need to get there so early, OMG. However, to complete the process and live in peace is more important than 95 traffic.

I wanted to add that I received my Yellow Pre Interview letter last week. In there they mentioned I bring two things.
1) MD State DL
2) Documentation for my arrest! ( I had indicated that I had a speeding ticket in my app and that was somehow misconstrued as an arrest!)

I spoke to the USCIS cust service person and she asked me to get a letter from the Police Dept. I was a bit angry, but asked her politely if the mistake by the USCIS in entering the data wrong should mean that I should get a police certificate from the five cities spanning three states I have lived in the last 12 years? She asked me to be on hold and came back after talking to her supervisor and told me that I no longer need to do that. I just need to provide proof of paying the fine and that's it. I said ok thanks. Anyone with similar experience? :rolleyes:

I wanted to add that I received my Yellow Pre Interview letter last week. In there they mentioned I bring two things.
1) MD State DL
2) Documentation for my arrest! ( I had indicated that I had a speeding ticket in my app and that was somehow misconstrued as an arrest!)

I spoke to the USCIS cust service person and she asked me to get a letter from the Police Dept. I was a bit angry, but asked her politely if the mistake by the USCIS in entering the data wrong should mean that I should get a police certificate from the five cities spanning three states I have lived in the last 12 years? She asked me to be on hold and came back after talking to her supervisor and told me that I no longer need to do that. I just need to provide proof of paying the fine and that's it. I said ok thanks. Anyone with similar experience? :rolleyes:

First of all, what part of "being arrested, detailed" did occur during the traffic stop with the officer for speeding? If you were stopped, told what law you violated and given a speeding ticket, IT IS NOT AN ARREST RECORD. So, before you blame USCIS, you are the one who created this mess in the first place. With that said.

You don't have any problems at all, all you need to bring to the interview is proof of payment, and you are set. I was given a speeding ticket in downtown Silver Spring, MD in April or somewhere there. I didn't check that I was arrested or detained in the N400, because being stopped for a speeding ticket and being cuffed for insulting the police officer's mother are two different things. Unless you hear the words, "place your hands behind you back, you are under arrested for ......................, you are ok. You don't need police certificate from anywhere, unless you are serial criminal.

So, before you blame USCIS, you are the one who created this mess in the first place. With that said.

Al,
I think you either didn't read my post in full or didn't understand what I was saying. Since there is one question about Citation, Arrest etc I had to say yes. But in the box below I clearly mentioned that they were traffic violations. Which is what I mentioned in the thread. I didn't say I was arrested, hand cuffed, shot at etc. After reading several threads here, I thought it is better to declare the speeding tickets than to not. Good for you they didn't ask anything about it.​
I read another post elsewhere that someone who mentioned a traffic violation was also sent a similar letter inquiring about the arrest. So it looks like an issue of interpretation of the answer to the question instead of reading through it all. When one question has several sub parts to it, it is logical to look at every part of the question to come to a conclusion than reading the first part and making a conclusion. Right?​
Why do you feel offended about what I said? I don't have to go out of my way to bash USCIS. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard from a lawyer that Oath for Name Change ONLY happens 2-3 times a year in Baltimore District Court. Anyone has any idea on this? I'm waiting for 3.5 months since the approval. Is there a way to find out the next Oath date? I called the court but they were not able to give me the date.

GCDETAILS, I saw in the Court Calendar for Baltimore, that they have some event for Naturalization on Nov 19 @ 3 PM by Judge Gesner/7C. Do you have your oath scheduled for the Nov 19th? Thanks in advance for sharing your information to help us better understand the timelines.

GCDETAILS, I saw in the Court Calendar for Baltimore, that they have some event for Naturalization on Nov 19 @ 3 PM by Judge Gesner/7C. Do you have your oath scheduled for the Nov 19th? Thanks in advance for sharing your information to help us better understand the timelines.

I called the Baltimore District court and was told that the name change oath ceremony is done twice a month in Baltimore. GCDetails your lawyer was BSing about the three times a year information! I would appreciate you sharing info about your oath date though. Thanks.

Guys,

I am attending my oath ceremony in Baltimore tomorrow morning, 9am and I am looking for positive experiences on parking. The last time I went there I ended up parking on W. Baltimore Str, next to the Hippodrome Foundations. I loath that parking area, people are clueless on how they park and reminded me of NY people and I was concerned about my car leaving with dents. I was fortunate not to experience any, but don't want to take chances. I understand Federal Plaza has parking, any restriction on who can park there? Anyone know of early bird specials there? Don't mind paying for parking, but if I can cap it at $9 for the day will be excellent. Upon completing my oath ceremony, I plan to see the officer who interviewed for a goodbye kiss...lol!!!!!!! Look at my interview experience for the latter.

Guys,

You folks who are being interviewed in Baltimore, is there any indication beforehand that the oath might take place the same day as the interview? Reason being I wanted to invite a couple people along, if I am successful. I would hate to find out I can take my oath the same day but be there myself with no one to celebrate it with me.

Frederick,

Since you are at the beginning, I think you should worry about same day oath when you know the time of your interview. However, just to prepare you and wet your appetite for the process, here is how the process will unfold. It depends on when is the 3 or 5 year anniversary of your green card, if you are scheduled for an interview before you complete your anniversary, there will be NO same day oath. However, assuming you already crossed the 3 or 5 year green card anniversary, your pass and are recommended for approval, and same day oath ceremony isn't fully booked, then you most likely going to be sworn in the same day. However, I wouldn't invite people without having the some assurance of same day oath. The Baltimore office is much more efficient and if your case isn't complicated, you are more likely to be sworn-in on the same day. So, in your interview notice, look for the time of your interview, for example, if it is at 10am, then you could be schedule for 2pm oath on the same day. However, if you aren't scheduled for same day oath, within 2 weeks you will be sworn-in, because they usually mail the oath invitation in two weeks since your interview (personal experience), and there are people on this baltimore thread who are still waiting for oath. I view it as a luck of the draw and competent IO.

Al

You folks who are being interviewed in Baltimore, is there any indication beforehand that the oath might take place the same day as the interview? Reason being I wanted to invite a couple people along, if I am successful. I would hate to find out I can take my oath the same day but be there myself with no one to celebrate it with me.

You got Al's experience. Here's mine:

* Before my interview, everything indicated that I would be able to get the oath on the same day as the interview. My interview was very early in the morning. I was waaaaaay past the minimum number of years I had to be a permanent resident, etc.

* Got interviewed on August 31st. The IO could not make a decision then but as I've mentioned elsewhere on this forum, she was clearly incompetent. (To the point of misstating to my face the USCIS rules on continuous presence. I, who do not breathe these rules day in and day out, knew them better than she did!)

* I got a request for evidence on September 10th. By September 28th, they had my answer.

* I've received my oath letter today. That's over 11 weeks after the interview and over 7 weeks after I answered their request.

Luck of the draw. Assuming you make no mistake in your filing, if you get an IO who knows the rules well and pays due attention to what you file, you'll get your oath on the same day of your interview. There are no assurances.

Zeno,

Thanks for sharing. Wow...since August 31st? It is a long time (based on immigrants patience levels...:) ) and you wonder what they were doing all that time...:( Why did you get a RFE? I agree, a competent IO who is well-trained and understand the requirements is a critical piece to a successful outcome, as far as approval of your case and generation of oath invitation. Hence, in my response I mentioned "personal experience" because it literally took 9 business for me to receive an oath letter, which was 11 days later. However, all things being equal, Baltimore is much better in terms of processing cases and getting back to candidates. If you carefully review our thread, there are lot of happy people in the Baltimore thread, and some unhappy who you understand their feelings. However, none of those people would want to be in the Fairfax/Washington DO.

Why did you get a RFE?

I had a traffic ticket which was such that as per the instructions in the guide, I did not need to produce documentation for it. (Less than $500, no alcohol, nobody hurt, etc.) The guide still says that you have to report everything they ask for so I had to report it. Well, during the interview she wanted documentation for it. I pointed out politely that the rules in the guide and the form which was sent with my interview letter said that I did not need to provide documentation. She said that unless I provided documentation, she would not be able to know that I did not need to provide documentation. Yes, this was her rationale: I order to prove that I do not need to file it, I need to file it.

(Long Parenthesis: I realize there is a thread about this very question on this forum. There seem to be a lot of confusion about what people should do about prior tickets. Some people argue that the tickets which qualify for the "no documentation" rule also should not be disclosed. However, the fact is this: the only legally valid advice we get when applying is the Guide to Naturalization. It says you do not need to "submit documentation" but does not say you do not need to disclose. There's a difference. I was not going to take the risk of getting barred from naturalization because the USCIS feels I lied on my application. For those who doubt that not disclosing can be an issue, check out user nellybabe's posts. Nellybabe's application was denied and nellybabe was barred from applying for 5 years because a speeding ticket which was dismissed in court (dismissed, as in "this case has no legs to stand on"!!!! :eek:) was not reported on form N400.

If someone feels the urge to say I should have known better, know that a) I followed the Guide's instructions to the letter and b) I did not know about the thread on traffic tickets before I went to my interview. If I had known, I would have ordered the court disposition just to be safe.

End of Long Parenthesis. :D)

Even if her rationale was good, why did she not ask for this evidence before the interview? If her rationale was good then this documentation was missing from day one.

For completeness: The two other problems in the interview were that she thought I had not filed information on my wife's first marriage. She had that information right in front of her, on an additional sheet of paper, just like form n400 instructs! (My wife was married three times. There is space only for one previous marriage on the n400 form.) And she thought that being out of the country for over 6 months made me automatically ineligible for naturalization. She did not know that people who were out between 6 and 12 months can show that they did not abandon their residency. She never asked for evidence demonstrating this, which in retrospect means that by the time of the interview she had all the evidence she needed to determine that my 8-month trip did not disqualify me. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, since I have my oath letter in hand now.

All of this indicates to me that she did not review my file carefully before the interview. Basically, every problem she raised during the interview should have resulted in some letter from the USCIS before the interview.

If you carefully review our thread, there are lot of happy people in the Baltimore thread, and some unhappy who you understand their feelings.

Oh yes. I realize the way my case was handled is not typical. Except that it seems that confusion about traffic tickets is systemic at the USCIS. My advice: always bring documentation about traffic tickets no matter what the damn Guide says.

In that case I'm screwed. I reported on the N400 that I had never committed any crime or offense for which I was not arrested. I have had various speeding tickets over the years in various states for which I paid the fines either online or by mail. I got no points on my license nor did I ever have to appear in court. I do not have a record of these, nor can I even remember them all.

You aren't screwed at all. USCIS is normally concerned about violations that deals with DUI or DWI. If the tickets were for speeding, then nothing to worry about. However, a long history of traffic tickets could lead the IO to suspect you of being a serial offender, not conducive for someone projecting law abiding credentials of a future citizen.

Just did mine!

My appointment was @ 9:00 AM. I was there outside the Fallon Building in B'more at 8:55 AM and took about 15 minutes to do security check before I went to Room 103 (30 Hopkins Plz). I gave my Interview Notice and showed my DL. They asked me to sit.
My wife's appointment was at 8:40 and she was sitting there when I entered the waiting room at 9:20!
The Adjudicating Officer called my name around 9:45 and took me downstairs along with two more people and we were sitting in another waiting room. He came out in 2 minutes and called my name. Went to his room and took my Oath before I sat down. He started with the civics questions and then asked me to read Abraham Lincoln and write "Abraham Lincoln was the President during the civil war".
He then went on to verify the information I entered in my form. He asked me about the arrest, I told him about the speeding ticket and that the fine was paid. He made a note of it. He asked me a few more questions from the form again. (All those Yes/No questions)
He asked me about my Selective Service registration and I told him I didn't as I was on a student Visa from 21-23 and on an H1B from 23-30. Got my GC when I was 30. He told me "No, All males" regardless of visa status. I told him only GC,citizens and Immigrant visas need to register. But didn't argue more. He told me he will check the rules and if it turns out to be ok I will receive the letter in mail for my Oath date in court (name change).
That's all. My wife had no issues and she was told "Congrats, you are an US citizen". Although she has been in a very somber mood this morning to be giving up her Indian citizenship. I for one didn't care as I work in the Federal Govt and an US citizenship might open a few more doors & $$. ;)

P.S. I asked the officer about the confusion on whether we should include the speeding tickets in the application and he told me it is better to declare it. Of course he was incompetent to not know the criteria for Selective Service. But another incompetent person might make not including it a big deal!

Ok, so yesterday I took my oath at the Baltimore office. Here's how it went down.

I live in a DC suburb and the ceremony was at 9am so I had to plan for traffic. I had planned a good 40 minutes buffer. An accident close to the start of my drive (not something which would make it on TV and that I would know ahead of time) threw a serious monkey wrench in my plans. I was delayed for maybe 15 minutes but this was enough to cause a cascading effect because in the meantime traffic had time to swell, which made me one hour late by the time I set foot in the USCIS building. I've done the trip to the Baltimore office several times in the past for early appointments and I've never been late. It had to be that on the day of my oath some freak problem should come up to throw everything off. Fun stuff, traffic. To make it on time, given what happened yesterday, I would have had to leave an hour earlier than I did. But then there would have been no traffic on the road and I would have been at the USCIS office at least 1:40 ahead of my appointment. I had a really fun drive, with the GPS showing an arrival time which was constantly going up. As I was driving I was wondering whether the USCIS people would just say "sorry, we'll have to schedule you for another day." If it had turned out this way, I was quite ready to accept it since me being late was certainly not the USCIS' fault.

There was a long line of people waiting to go through security. Quite a few people seemed to have put metal everywhere they could just to dare the security folks to find it. I went through without a beep or a bark. I showed my letter to the lady just past the security and she told me "oh honey, I think they are done with this ceremony." ("Honey" was a nice touch.) I said "well, I'd still like to talk to the USCIS folks to learn what is going to happen." So I went to the information window. The lady told me that indeed the 9:00am ceremony was over. So I asked "what now?" She said they probably could put me in a later ceremony. Another lady came and confirmed that this is something they do as a matter of course if someone misses the 9:00am ceremony. So I was rescheduled for the noon ceremony. (I do not think, however, that this flexibility implies that being cavalier with an early oath appointment is okay and I would not take this to mean that they can reschedule people to a later ceremony in every single case.)

So I waited. I thought of maybe eating lunch ahead of the ceremony but I had left it in the car and decided it was just too risky to go out, have some other freak thing happen and then miss the ceremony again. While I was waiting, one of the security officers came in and kept telling people who came for the oath to sit and wait. A few times she misstated the time of the oath ceremony as 11:00am instead of noon. She was wrong and the ladies at the information window were right: the ceremony was at noon. Close to noon, they marshaled us up to the oath room on the 7th floor. The security officer up there kept repeating that oath takers should sit in front and family members in the back but several people did not understand or pay attention so there was a bit of musical chairs. Also, the room was pretty packed. If I recall correctly 94 people were taking the oath. The whole process was a little haphazard. Two IOs started checking our answers on the oath letters. The first batch of people who were checked kept their letters and GC but then the IOs decided they should take our letters and GC at the moment of doing the check so they had to come back and get them from us. Then they told people who were being checked to help themselves to a flag and one of those packets they give to new citizens. We, who had gone first, were not told to do that so one of the IOs distributed some packets to us but did not give us a flag. In the end, everybody was checked and got what they needed so "no biggie" but you'd think the number of times they've done ceremonies like this, they'd have the process down.

When they were satisfied with the paperwork, there was some formal speech from the director of the Baltimore office. She presided over the whole affair. She showed us a few clips, including a message from the President. She gave us advice about getting a passport as soon as possible and informing the SSA of our new status. We sang the Star-Spangled Banner. We took the oath under her direction. I was expecting a judge but I guess she's authorized by law to have us take the oath. (I sure hope I do not get a letter in the mail telling me that the ceremony is bunk because it was not presided by a judge.) We paid allegiance to the flag. They handed out the certificates by calling out our names and just handing the certificates to us without any additional fanfare. I think the version of the whole ceremony I got was fairly barebones given the number of people present and the fact that we had to get out of there by a certain time because the room was reserved for some other event.

Anyway, it is done. :D

Z,

Congrats!!! I am surprised you got there late, must have been a lot of traffic on 95. It is a good thing that they accommodated you for a noon ceremony. I live in the DC suburb too, and would recommend the SSA office on 10230 NEW HAMPSHIRE AVE, near Hillandale Shopping Center, take your naturalization certificate and the office is a bit efficient. There used to be an office of SSA in Wheaton Mall, near the old Circuit City building, no longer in business and people keep showing up there.

Z,

Congrats!!!

Thanks!

It is a good thing that they accommodated you for a noon ceremony.

Yeah. I'm really glad it worked out this way. I would have accepted it but I'd still have been bummed if they told me to come back some other day.

I live in the DC suburb too, and would recommend the SSA office on 10230 NEW HAMPSHIRE AVE, near Hillandale Shopping Center, take your naturalization certificate and the office is a bit efficient. There used to be an office of SSA in Wheaton Mall, near the old Circuit City building, no longer in business and people keep showing up there.

The Rockville office is closest to where I live.

My appointment was @ 9:00 AM. I was there outside the Fallon Building in B'more at 8:55 AM and took about 15 minutes to do security check before I went to Room 103 (30 Hopkins Plz). I gave my Interview Notice and showed my DL. They asked me to sit.
My wife's appointment was at 8:40 and she was sitting there when I entered the waiting room at 9:20!
The Adjudicating Officer called my name around 9:45 and took me downstairs along with two more people and we were sitting in another waiting room. He came out in 2 minutes and called my name. Went to his room and took my Oath before I sat down. He started with the civics questions and then asked me to read Abraham Lincoln and write "Abraham Lincoln was the President during the civil war".
He then went on to verify the information I entered in my form. He asked me about the arrest, I told him about the speeding ticket and that the fine was paid. He made a note of it. He asked me a few more questions from the form again. (All those Yes/No questions)
He asked me about my Selective Service registration and I told him I didn't as I was on a student Visa from 21-23 and on an H1B from 23-30. Got my GC when I was 30. He told me "No, All males" regardless of visa status. I told him only GC,citizens and Immigrant visas need to register. But didn't argue more. He told me he will check the rules and if it turns out to be ok I will receive the letter in mail for my Oath date in court (name change).
That's all. My wife had no issues and she was told "Congrats, you are an US citizen". Although she has been in a very somber mood this morning to be giving up her Indian citizenship. I for one didn't care as I work in the Federal Govt and an US citizenship might open a few more doors & $$. ;)

P.S. I asked the officer about the confusion on whether we should include the speeding tickets in the application and he told me it is better to declare it. Of course he was incompetent to not know the criteria for Selective Service. But another incompetent person might make not including it a big deal!

My wife got a notice last week for the Oath ceremony today at 1:30 PM. We both have a name change. I'm still waiting for my oath date as the IO is yet to clear his head on the rules regarding Selective Service.