Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Sorry for the repeat posts, but I just got my Interview letter for an interview date on May 03!!! That's just about 5 months from application - interview. The only thing that bothers me is that it's a Saturday morning, which means no oath ceremony.

I need to ABSOLUTELY travel to South America just 3 weeks after my scheduled interview date. Does anyone have any experience on how long the Baltimore office takes to schedule oath ceremonies? I fear that if I naturalize, and travel to South America on my "old-country" passport, can I return to the US using my naturalization certificate as proof of citizenship?

I'd really appreciate any input. While I'm totally ecstatic about getting my interview this fast, I'm really worried about the timing with my travel. I'd appreciate any input from anyone.

GO BALTIMORE DO!!

Do all DOs have no oath on Saturdays or is this just the case in Baltimore? Just asking cause mine is tomorrow in Atlanta and I was kinda hoping for a same day oath because we have to travel so far.

Hello, I have been trying to follow timelines myself and noticed you have posted as far back as April 5 that your interview date is May 3 and that you received your interview letter on April 17? Did you mean March 17th? I only ask because we have been waiting soo long and my wife recently had her second set of fingerprints done and still no interview date. Trying to estimate the time between interview letter and actual interview because we have a trip out of the country planned for June. Thanks

Actually, the Interview letter was received April 17. I just updated my signature yesterday (Apr 17), and the forum goes back and updates my signature on all of my previous posts -- even the ones I made back in September of last year. So to answer your question, I think the actual time between the Interview letter and the interview date differs. My Interview letter has a notice date of March 27, but the USCIS did not mail it out until April 16 (and I received it on Apr 17). The lag appears to be about 1-2 months. In any case, you should not have a problem with your travel because you can always postpone your oath ceremony until your travel is complete.

I have noticed that my interview scheduling is wierdly fast. Some people who had priority dates of July got interviews on May 29-July 2nd, and my priority date is November 29th, and my interview is May 3. I'm not complaining at all, but the point is that it's so difficult to predict these things.

Do all DOs have no oath on Saturdays or is this just the case in Baltimore? Just asking cause mine is tomorrow in Atlanta and I was kinda hoping for a same day oath because we have to travel so far.

I received a note with my interview letter which states "This Appointment is for your Naturalization Interview only and no Oath ceremonies are conducted on this day. As such, please do not bring guests to your appointment with you".

I was *really* hoping for a same-day oath ceremony, but I guess my luck ran out. I'm at least glad that I got the interview -- at least I'm past the name check hurdle.

I received a note with my interview letter which states "This Appointment is for your Naturalization Interview only and no Oath ceremonies are conducted on this day. As such, please do not bring guests to your appointment with you".

I was *really* hoping for a same-day oath ceremony, but I guess my luck ran out. I'm at least glad that I got the interview -- at least I'm past the name check hurdle.

I am sorry :( Hopefully you will get your oath letter soon. I checked my letter and mine does not specify it like yours does. It says the proceeding will take about two hours and it does not say not to bring guests. I guess I won't know for sure until tomorrow :rolleyes: Let's be prepared for the worst and hope for the best, right :)

I don't know if this helps some of the other Baltimore folks, but someone who had their interview on the 5th told me that weekend interviewees at Baltimore are given the choice to pick an oath date and schedule the oath. Apparently this is done after the interview. I'm hoping that this is true and that I can get the oath scheduled right after my interview.

If anyone has their interview after hours/weekend, can you please let us know whether this was the arrangement?

Thanks.

Baltimore - Interview next week

I will have my interview in one week in Baltimore. Can someone tell their recent experience there. What exactly step by step can I expect. Also do I have to bring copies of my income tax to prove I have filed? All details appreciated. Can I have my cellphone with me, I have an AM appt, so should I
wait for Oath, can I apply for passport the same day?
Thanks for any guidance/info

Sent my application July 28/07
FP Notice Nov 16/07
Fingerprints done Dec 4/07
Interview/test letter received March 5/08
Interview Date Apr 30/08

I will have my interview in one week in Baltimore. Can someone tell their recent experience there. What exactly step by step can I expect. Also do I have to bring copies of my income tax to prove I have filed? All details appreciated. Can I have my cellphone with me, I have an AM appt, so should I
wait for Oath, can I apply for passport the same day?
Thanks for any guidance/info

Sent my application July 28/07
FP Notice Nov 16/07
Fingerprints done Dec 4/07
Interview/test letter received March 5/08
Interview Date Apr 30/08

I have seen many cases even though tax copies are not required based on the interview letter, but you should bring copies of your tax returs or IRS transcripts with you (just in case). also, bring everything like N400 applications, marriage certificate if you are married, bills to prove that you are living in md, driver license, ssn, green card, driving tickets if you have. just search in this forum about other people who had interviews.

For your cell phone, the policy is that no cell phone or umbrella are allowed. but I don't know about current policy at Baltimore office. Just suggest to leave them in your car or hand it over to your friend who is willing to wait outside the immigration office. Probably security officer will ask you to leave the cell phone and give you a ticket number so you can pick it up after the interview or oath.

After you take the oath and officer/oath judge gives you a US citizenship certificate, you will be offically US citizen. you can apply for the passport on the same day. but be noted: you should make a photocopy of your US citizenship certificate before you go to apply because they will take your ceritificate along with application for passport and return the certificate to you in days or weeks or months. as well, you should go to the social security office to update your social security card. For information about what to do after the oath ceremony: http://www.newcitizen.us/after.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Future american or the moderators,

pl change the heading by remove the word regression. It is giving wrong meaning altogether.

Ther is no regression in N400.

My wife and I had citizenship interview on March 19th. My wife got Oath letter for April 25th within 2 weeks of the interview. I did not get mine till now and went to Baltimore Office for INFOPASS today to enquire about the same.

The lady checked at my file, she could not figure out why I was not set for Oath ceremony on the same day as my wife as all my papers were in order. She said they are overwhelmed to send so many letters out and mine might have missed. She went inside and came back with a oath ceremony letter for April 25th. Both my wife and I are set for April 25th Oath date.

There is a problem though.. We are flying out of country on May 2nd. It will be extremely hectic and hell lot of money to get urgent passport and visa. On top of that I need to surrender passport of my home country also. I am still debating whether I should keep this date or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview Baltimore-Next week

I read in a posting that for the test you needed to know your senators, representative, state governor.

So does this mean you must have the names of all of these people?

I live in Montgomery County, MD. I know the govenor and senators for Maryland but who are the state representatives?

I read in a posting that for the test you needed to know your senators, representative, state governor.

So does this mean you must have the names of all of these people?

I live in Montgomery County, MD. I know the govenor and senators for Maryland but who are the state representatives?

First you have to know what congressional district you're in (8th). Once you know that then you can look up your state representative.

http://vanhollen.house.gov/HoR/MD08/Home

The week after interview at Baltimore

After leaving this great site for nearly 5 years, I have come here to get information >30 times a day. I really appreciated several guys who are contributing a lot.

Both my wife and me got IL on April 17 2008. The following is our timelines. I wish all of us are lucky.

01/15/08 N-400 received by VSC
02/07/08 NOA received
02/28/08 FP done (with Notice date 02/06)
04/17/08 IL letter received (with Notice date 03/31)
05/03/08 Interview at Baltimore DO
xx/xx/xx

Gchello -- Welcome back!

Looks like you, me and another person on the forum have a May 3 interview... Wow!! What time is your interview? Mine is at 8:30am. I just got back from my InfoPass appt at Baltimore. They were getting ready for an oath ceremony.

The IO that I spoke to said that they were talking about starting Saturday oath ceremonies, but so far it hasn't happened -- maybe might start in the next week or two. They apparently started Saturday interviews very recently, and right now, the setup is that if your case is approved after the interview, you are sent back to the Room to have your oath date scheduled.... Which is great, which means you don't have to wait for mail to come with your oath. Your oath is not scheduled if your interviewer finds something that needs verification or if you make an unusual request (like changing names).

Hope that helps!!

My appt time is 10:30am will I ahve to wait until 3pm to do teh oath? Will the people who are with me be allowed to witness it?

Thanks a lot for your information. Rwickra. That is really useful.

My wife and me will have interviews after 11:20 am. We are quite happy with the latest letter, as we just had our GC’ 5-year anniversary last week.

Once again, I appreciated your message.

02/07/08 NOA received
xx/xx/xx

My appt time is 10:30am will I ahve to wait until 3pm to do teh oath? Will the people who are with me be allowed to witness it?

You are allowed to take an unspecified number of guests to the oath ceremony, however there is no guarantee that you'll be allowed to take it on the same day. Its a rather hit'n'miss affair.

Thanks a lot for your information. Rwickra. That is really useful.

My wife and me will have interviews after 11:20 am. We are quite happy with the latest letter, as we just had our GC’ 5-year anniversary last week.

Once again, I appreciated your message.

02/07/08 NOA received
xx/xx/xx

cool, that's neat! I can't wait to recieve the IL letter soon.

------------------
12/15/2007 N-400 sent to VSC
12/18/2007 N-400 received by VSC
01/xx/2008 NOA received (can't remember what date, but I know it was Jan)

01/26/2008 FP appointment (status: completed)
xx/xx/xxxx IL letter received (status: waiting)
xx/xx/xxxx Interview at Baltimore DO (status: waiting)
xx/xx/xxxx swearing-in oath (status: waiting)