Baltimore N-400 Timeline

Most often the 800 number is not the best way to find out namecheck status. (They have been known to contradict themselves when called several times).

If you've been waiting a long time (> 6 months), schedule an Infopass appointment and go ask in person.

I know USCIS have started conducting interviews on Saturday & Sunday. Do they hold oath caremony on Saturday? or Sunday?

Thanks

Anyone with a PD in August or September getting ILs from the Baltimore DO yet?? Please post if you did. We've had a number of July filers getting ILs, but none thereafter... I really hope it's moving along.

Anyone with a PD in August or September getting ILs from the Baltimore DO yet?? Please post if you did. We've had a number of July filers getting ILs, but none thereafter... I really hope it's moving along.

My wife got a IL this morning (4/3/08). The interview is on 5/20 at 1:20Pm. Does anyone know if Baltimore office has Oath cermonies this late in the day?

I have seen many cases.

Wednesday and Thursday are interview-oath days (depends on interviewer's decision), but Tuesday -- I am not sure.

Happy to see N400 in Baltimore office is moving on. I guess I can get my interview by the end of this year. :)

I would suppose there's no benefit in speeding things up to have extra interview dates without extra oath dates. So I'm sure they have that too. In fact, there's a news release on the USCIS website which indicates that they are doing "after hours" interviews at night in addition to the Saturday and Sunday interviews to speed things up. They've also published a list of deadlines to speed up name check delays, based on a priority system (i.e. longest delays cleared first -- those with name checks pending for more than 3 yrs cleared by May 2008 etc). Let's see how this works out.

In the meantime, those getting ILs please continue to post with your priority dates so that we all know what the true progress is (the USCIS site is bogus, it lists Baltimore office still doing May 2007 applications, although clearly those with PDs in August are also getting interviews. I think they're just trying to be safe). Those who have had interviews, please post your experiences.

I am a lurker and now decided to join the forum. Great forum you guys have here. Good job keeping the information organized here.

I have my interview on Thu 05/29 at 2.00pm at the Baltimore office. I have yet to prepare for the civic test, but should be ok with them.

I also want to know if Baltimore will have oath ceremonies late in the day that day.

One more thing I havent done is called to see if Name Check was completed. I will do that soon.

N-400 Mailed : Oct 1, 2007
N-400 Received at VSC : Oct 03, 2007
NOA Received : Dec 11, 2007
FP Notice Received : Dec 26, 2007
FP Completed : Jan 18, 2008
IL Date : Mar 31, 2008
Interview Date: May 29, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to see whether your name check is completed, because new USCIS rules prohibit scheduling of the interview UNTIL name check is done. The fact that you got your IL guarantees that name check is complete.

Wow!! you've already gotten an interview with a PD of October 3!! That's unheard of. That's CRAZY fast... Are you in the military or something?

If your interview is at 2:00pm chances are that you will not be called for the oath on the same day. I had my oath at 3pm, and was told to show up at 2:45pm. My interview was scheduled for 9:00am, and it was a Wednesday.

My intereview was on 3/19 Wednesday at 1.40pm . I came out at about 2.10pm. I was not offered oath at the same day. One reason may be was I wanted to change my name. My wife's interview was at 2.40pm and she also was not offered Oath on same day. It is 3 weeks since interview and still we are waiting for Oath notice.

My intereview was on 3/19 Wednesday at 1.40pm . I came out at about 2.10pm. I was not offered oath at the same day. One reason may be was I wanted to change my name. My wife's interview was at 2.40pm and she also was not offered Oath on same day. It is 3 weeks since interview and still we are waiting for Oath notice.

All cases requiring name changes have to be referred to a judge. Moreover, I believe the cut-off time for same day oaths (administrative ceremonies, not "judicial") is at noon. Thus, if you have your interview after the cut off time, you may have to wait a few weeks for the oath.

I was lucky to have mine in the morning. I posted the entire experience on this forum the day after the interview.

You don't need to see whether your name check is completed, because new USCIS rules prohibit scheduling of the interview UNTIL name check is done. The fact that you got your IL guarantees that name check is complete.

Wow!! you've already gotten an interview with a PD of October 3!! That's unheard of. That's CRAZY fast... Are you in the military or something?

Thanks for the reply. So are you saying I shouldnt nag FBI for my name check. From what I have been reading it looks like lot of people get IL before their name check is complete and then after the interview they have to wait for the name check to complete. Isnt that true?

I am a contractor for the government, so background checks are common every few years. That might be the reason or I just might be plain lucky.

Thanks for the reply. So are you saying I shouldnt nag FBI for my name check. From what I have been reading it looks like lot of people get IL before their name check is complete and then after the interview they have to wait for the name check to complete. Isnt that true?

I am a contractor for the government, so background checks are common every few years. That might be the reason or I just might be plain lucky.

That's not true. First of all, regulations for name check has changed a lot in the last few years. The FBI no longer releases name check information to third parties (you), and only the requesting agency (USCIS). So you calling the FBI really isn't going to help. Second, the USCIS policy *used* to be where the IL was given while the name check was pending; back then (a year ago) you could get your interview, and not get your oath until the namecheck was done. But then lots of people started taking the USCIS to federal court, and filed writ of mandamus -- which compels a government agency to perform a duty, in less than 120 days if all other tasks are complete -- to circumvent these lawsuits, the USCIS now changed their practice rule so that they do not call the interview until namecheck is complete. This effectively prevents a petitioner (you) from filing a writ-of-mandamus against them -- a protection for the USCIS.

So my point is that within the last year (I think after March 2007), if you got your IL, your namecheck *must* have been completed. They do not invite you for an interview until your namecheck is done.

Either way, your screening process has been really fast. I'm not sure there are any other October filers who got ILs in Baltimore...

Sorry for the repeat posts, but I just got my Interview letter for an interview date on May 03!!! That's just about 5 months from application - interview. The only thing that bothers me is that it's a Saturday morning, which means no oath ceremony.

I need to ABSOLUTELY travel to South America just 3 weeks after my scheduled interview date. Does anyone have any experience on how long the Baltimore office takes to schedule oath ceremonies? I fear that if I naturalize, and travel to South America on my "old-country" passport, can I return to the US using my naturalization certificate as proof of citizenship?

I'd really appreciate any input. While I'm totally ecstatic about getting my interview this fast, I'm really worried about the timing with my travel. I'd appreciate any input from anyone.

GO BALTIMORE DO!!

Sorry for the repeat posts, but I just got my Interview letter for an interview date on May 03!!! That's just about 5 months from application - interview. The only thing that bothers me is that it's a Saturday morning, which means no oath ceremony.

I need to ABSOLUTELY travel to South America just 3 weeks after my scheduled interview date. Does anyone have any experience on how long the Baltimore office takes to schedule oath ceremonies? I fear that if I naturalize, and travel to South America on my "old-country" passport, can I return to the US using my naturalization certificate as proof of citizenship?

I'd really appreciate any input. While I'm totally ecstatic about getting my interview this fast, I'm really worried about the timing with my travel. I'd appreciate any input from anyone.

GO BALTIMORE DO!!

You could go to a passport agency and they could probably give you the passport same day if you show proof and need.

Congratulations on your Interview Date !!!

Question for Rwickra

Hello, I have been trying to follow timelines myself and noticed you have posted as far back as April 5 that your interview date is May 3 and that you received your interview letter on April 17? Did you mean March 17th? I only ask because we have been waiting soo long and my wife recently had her second set of fingerprints done and still no interview date. Trying to estimate the time between interview letter and actual interview because we have a trip out of the country planned for June. Thanks