Baltimore N-400 Timeline

I had my interview today at 1.40pm. I arrived at Baltimore USCIS office at 1.15pm and took seat inside waiting area. I was called inside at 1.40pm sharp. It was really very simple interview , no complecation and officer gave me a letter saying that I will get oat letter soon.
First officer asked me to swear that I am telling the truth.then he read out 6 questions from a page and marked "Correct" for all right answers. I think he had 10 questions and I had to get right. However I got first 6 correct, so he did not continue any further. Questions were simplest like (i) where does president of usa live (ii) how many strpes are in USa flag (iii) who said "give me liberty or give me death etc. He asked me to read the 10th question which was "what is correction to constitution called". He put a tick mark as I passed reading test. he asked me to right "I go to work everyday" and that completed my writing test.

After that he went thru each and every line of N-400 to make sure that all information is accurate. I had an additional traffic ticket just few days ago and he took dwn the information. I had mentioned 4 previous traffic tickets he asked me if there were any arrests or DWIs an I said No. It was done in 5 minutes.

At the end he gave me letter and said I will reeive oath letter by mail. I was out before 2pm.

I had my interview today at 1.40pm. I arrived at Baltimore USCIS office at 1.15pm and took seat inside waiting area. I was called inside at 1.40pm sharp. It was really very simple interview , no complecation and officer gave me a letter saying that I will get oat letter soon.
First officer asked me to swear that I am telling the truth.then he read out 6 questions from a page and marked "Correct" for all right answers. I think he had 10 questions and I had to get right. However I got first 6 correct, so he did not continue any further. Questions were simplest like (i) where does president of usa live (ii) how many strpes are in USa flag (iii) who said "give me liberty or give me death etc. He asked me to read the 10th question which was "what is correction to constitution called". He put a tick mark as I passed reading test. he asked me to right "I go to work everyday" and that completed my writing test.

After that he went thru each and every line of N-400 to make sure that all information is accurate. I had an additional traffic ticket just few days ago and he took dwn the information. I had mentioned 4 previous traffic tickets he asked me if there were any arrests or DWIs an I said No. It was done in 5 minutes.

At the end he gave me letter and said I will reeive oath letter by mail. I was out before 2pm.
Congratulations!

Your are almost done.
Thanks for you to share your experience.

I guess I have to wait for oath letter in mail because I requested for name change in N-400 application.

My wife's case also went similar way. She said Interview officer (who was a black lady) was very funny and cutting jokes all the time. Interview was cool but at the end she put Correct mark in two places . One where it says "You have passed english and civics test" and another which said "No Decision could be taken at this time".

When my wife asked why she put tick mark on ""No Decision could be taken at this time", oficer said all applications should go through one more round of scrutiny and interview officer is not supposed to say you passed or failed the interview. She can only write if candidate passed english/civics test or not. But she neverthless said all formalities are completed and oath letter will arrive in "couple of weeks".

I had my interview in Baltimore yesterday. The time on the letter said 9:00. I arrived at about 8:30. It took about 10 minutes to go through security. I was then directed to go to Room 103. There were quite a few people in the room when I came in. Once I came in I went straight to the Reception window. Some people who came in after me would just take a seat without checking in with the Reception. I then turned in my letter and was asked to wait for my name to be called. I spent about 1,5 hours waiting. I saw people who had come in after me being called for their interviews and started to panic a little bit. My wife was sitting right next to me to keep me company.

Then, at about 10:00 I was called in. The officer was very courteous. She directed me to her office and when right away when we came in she said: "Before you sit down I need to swear you in." So she did. She then asked me for my passport(s), my green card and my driver's license. She then asked me if I had taken the test when i did my FP. I told her that I did not because it was not offered on the day I had my FP appointment. The officer then asked me six questions that she read out of her computer monitor. I answered all of them correct, so she didn't ask me all 10. I was then asked to write a sentence "Today is a sunny day." It was quite ironic because it was pouring outside. The officer then asked me a ton of questions from my N-400 application. She did not request to see my wife's proof of citizenship, our marriage certificate, or my Selective Service Card. Although the SS Card was right there in front of me, so she must have seen it. The officer only took my tax information. I did not request official transcripts, but only brought copies of whatever I printed out of TurboTax. It was fine. She also asked me about time spent outside of the US while the application had been pending and noted the dates.

The officer then told me that she was going to recommend me for citizenship. She told me that there was a ceremony at 3:00pm and asked me whether I wanted to attend it. Of course I said yes. She then gave me a form indicating that I had passed the civics/English exam and that I was being recommended for citizenship. She also gave me the appointment letter indicating the time of the Oath Ceremony. The officer asked me to answer 8 questions on the back of the appointment letter (regarding events that happened between the time of the interview and the Oath Ceremony). And off I was until 2:30pm.

When I came back at 2:30pm there were quite a few people waiting for the ceremony. It turned out that there were 95 new citizens waiting for their status confirmation. At around 3:00pm we were all taken to the 7th floor where the ceremony room was. We were all checked in by the officers, turned in our green cards and received a citizenship pack that contained a letter from the President and a Citizen's Almanach. The new citizens were then asked to stand up, raise the right hand and repeat the Oath. After that everyone in attendance stood up, was asked to place their right hand over the heart and read the Pledge. Then we all watched and listened to the President on TV addressing us "for the first time as fellow Americans." After that the three USCIS officers administering the ceremony called out our names and presented us with our proof of citizenship -- the Naturalization Certificate.

It was a very proud moment! I hope everyone on the boards who is yet to experience it will do so in the end.

I would like to thank everyone for providing valuable information during the entire immigration process. God bless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunate too-very common last name

GhantaBro,

What is FOIP? Have you filed a lawsuit? Because I was told that a lawsuit against USCIS is my best option (after numerous phone calls and letters to a Senator and Congressman). I haven't done anything wrong and it's so unfair that my application should get stuck because my last name is very common. They say it could take from 4-10 years once an application is stuck.

FOIPA is asking FBI if I have any record in their database. I am in the process of sending mails to senators and what not. Next step is WOM in April. Definitely no way I can wait 4 years for those coc******** to complete my name check when I know I have not done anything that should make them take so long....

Urgent:Birth certificate required at citizenship interview?

Hello,

Do they ask for original birth certificate at interview for citizenship in Baltimore? friends of mine told me that they got asked in other places.

Could one of the members of the forum provide information about this?

Many thanks in advance

Alien Registration Card

I received a letter from CIS about FP next week at Glenmont office. It said Naturalization applicants must bring their Alien Registration Card. Does it mean Green Card?

Thanks in advance

I was not asked ..

Hello,

Do they ask for original birth certificate at interview for citizenship in Baltimore? friends of mine told me that they got asked in other places.

Could one of the members of the forum provide information about this?

Many thanks in advance

My wife and I had Naturalization interview couple of days ago (N-400), all I was asked are the following - (i) Green Card (ii) Passport (iii) Drivers License (iv) Selective Service Letter - if you were in USA when you were below 26

My wife and I had Naturalization interview couple of days ago (N-400), all I was asked are the following - (i) Green Card (ii) Passport (iii) Drivers License (iv) Selective Service Letter - if you were in USA when you were below 26

What if you did not have GC when you were below 26?

What if you did not have GC when you were below 26?

Well the answer to that depends whether you were ever in the US "in any capacity other than as a lawful non-immigrant". i.e. were you ever out of status. If so, you'll be needing a selective services status letter, otherwise you don't need anything.

no I was never out of status ... infact I was student before that period. I guess I don't need to worry about that then. Thanks!

You won't be allowed to interview outside your current district of residence because they do not have jurisdiction over your case. I suggest you probably want to schedule an Infopass appointment and get this straightened out before the alloted date.

By the way, this is not speculation - there was a case exactly the same as this about a month back. The person went for an Infopass and the outcome was that the interview was canceled and rescheduled for the new DO.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=273994

The Baltimore DO has cancelled my interview and they will mail me the interview letter again. I am paying the price for their mistake and there is nothing i could do about it.

USCIS claims that they will be conducting interview on Saturday, Sunday and even after normal bussiness hours but ...

The test wasn't offered on the day of my FP. At the interview a few months later I was asked whether I had taken the test. I said "no." So the officer asked my six questions and a sentence to write right on the spot. No problems!

I saw some postings said they took civics test during FP but others said they were not offered such tests. It depends on the location of CIS office or just at random?

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw some postings said they took civics test during FP but others said they were not offered such tests. It depends on the location of CIS office or just at random?

When I went for fingerprint in Baltimore - they offered me to provide civics test right on that day. But I was in a hurry and I declined. I took it on interview date.