Bad interview experience in SFO !

I am not sure. I would guess the same officer, and perhaps at some point his supervisor, or whatever quality control they might decide to apply. I guess, potentially, more than one person.

I would say, send the CA ID receipt, I don't see how this might hurt.

Ok, this one is completely my own idea, if you go to a church, and they know you well, or there is any other person of standing in the community who knows well about your marriage is willing to submit an affidavit about your marriage, that could help too. Again, this is completely my personal opinion, after having read some books that suggest this kind of document can be useful to prove good moral character, or in this case to provide additional proof of your bona fide marriage. All in all, so far you haven't had a denial, so you're not in such big trouble.

Yes, I would consider getting affidavits from others, church folks, people on the PTA (if you have kids in school), neighbors. You want people to say "well, they certainly acted married". You seem to be providing proof that you were legally married, now you need to have something that says "we weren't just married on paper, we are really married".

Do you think the copies of greeting cards written by both of our families will work too?

How about the family life pictures of me and my husband with our parents/families/friends during these 3.8 years?

Thanks!

Do you think the copies of greeting cards written by both of our families will work too?

How about the family life pictures of me and my husband with our parents/families/friends during these 3.8 years?

Thanks!

These can add value but these cannot be considered as proof since any one can manipulate to create these items.

How about the actual Greeting cards(included envelops showing the same address, and postage stamps) , not copy ones? thanks.

Our apartment manager is willing to sign a affidavit for us to prove our true marriage and living together.

The letter will include our manager's Full Name, Address, and Phone number.

Do I need to get this letter notarized too? Or enclosed manager's phone number is sufficient?

Thanks!

Please Help~~~

Our apartment manager is willing to sign a affidavit for us to prove our true marriage and living together.

The letter will include our manager's Full Name, Address, and Phone number.

Do I need to get this letter notarized too? Or enclosed manager's phone number is sufficient?

How about I sumbit them the actual Greeting cards(included envelops showing the same address, and postage stamps) , not copy ones, will they work too?

Thanks! Thanks!

This is fine but may not be acceptable by all IOs
Please Help~~~

This is no use
How about I sumbit them the actual Greeting cards(included envelops showing the same address, and postage stamps) , not copy ones, will they work too?

Try to get some thing like bank, mortgage, car insurance or loan which you both availed together....

Try to put yourself on the shoes of the IO, and think about the kind of proof that shows a working marriage and which one's don't. You could be on the verge of divorce and still get greeting cards from friends and family. I guess it's better to show some financial ties like joint tax return, in retrospect it would have been good to keep a join bank account and not have changed your last name. Again, try to provide as many documents from the list the IO gave you.

For the apartment manager affidavit, it might be helpful, along with the apartment lease. Does the lease show you both as tenants? I am not sure if the document needs to be notarized.

PS: If you have been looking to have a child (probably not because of your financial situation) this would be a powerful proof. For example an affidavit from the gynecologist saying that you were looking (recently?) for advice about pregnancy and becoming pregnant. This is just an idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see why the IO acted the way he did. They have to weed through a lot of falsified N-400's and interview a lot of bogus claims of marriage. You're as mentioned, has several big red flags that points the IO to the fact that you are falsifying your information. He reviewed your N-400 before you got pulled into the room, he already knew you have changed your name back, and that you have different state ID's etc. He didn't need to see your documents at that time as he already had everything you submitted with the N-400.

He was most likely already peeved that he had to deal with yet another possible fraud marriage for citizenship case that day.

Question, if you don't have much money then why did you bother spending the $400 + to get your name changed back then? You're case definatly will need some hard core proof and a lot of it to convince the IO.

Another thing that's not sure if it got mentioned, show proof of your husbands work pay stubs showing he was employed in the same town you live in for the past few years. That will at least be something showing he wasn't living and working out of state while you were here...

Speaking of pay stubs, get something from his (or your) company showing that you are each other's beneficiaries for things like life insurance. As Huracan said, put yourself in the shoes of the IO and try to think what might be convincing.

My husband and I met at school and were both students when we got married(both were 21 years old), so our financial situation was still pretty weak.

Due to our weak financial situation, we can not own a car, health insurance, credit cards, and having a child.
(Living in San Francisco City, everything is so expensive! But we couldn't move because my husband studied and worked in the city.)

My husband's mom still takes care of his student loan things, and my parents in my country still support my living in US. (That's also why we separated our accounts, it is easier for our parents to handle our individual different finance)

My husband worked only part-time, so did I. Therefore our companies did not provide us like life/health/dental insurance.

That's why we could not provide as much financial union as we can. We both earn little money.... It must be a reason for immigration officers to suspect our true marriage....:(

We did file our Joint Tax Returns every year since we got married. Will this help?

Now my husband just graduated last month and tried to find a full-time job.
I am looking for a full-time job too.
Hope we both can find our full-time jobs soon....

That's why we could not provide as much financial union as we can. We both earn little money.... It must be a reason for immigration officers to suspect our true marriage....:(

You have to admit it does look a little unusual... unfortunately the burden of proof rests with the applicant in N-400 cases, so USCIS doesn't have to believe anything you say unless you can back it up with hard evidence.

Personally, if I were an immigration officer, and I was presented the case on paper in "black and white"(minus the plausible reasons presented here), I would not be convinced.

This is definitely not how the financial arrangements in a "real" marriage would work. 21 years is not an age, at which each parent would be managing their adult son's/daughter's bank account's.

Anyway good luck and please post your experience for the benefit of others here.

I finally got my Oath letter in the mail today~~!!!
What a long painful journey....But it's gonna be over soon!
Thanks a lot for this helpful Forum.
Good luck to all of you!
Patience pays off!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY N-400

N-400 mailed to CSC: 10.30.06
N-400 received at CSC: 11.01.06(priority)
$400 Check cashed: 11.08.06
N-400 NOA issued: 11.09.06
N-400 NOA received: 11.15.06
NOA FP issued: 11.13.06
NOA FP received:11.16.06
FP appointment: 11.18.06 ( taken electronically in 20 min.)
Cleared FP Sent Back From FBI to USCIS: 11.19.06 (Called FBI to check)
Case status disappears: N/A
Interview ND: 5.01.07
Interview Letter received: 5.03.07
Interview: 6.06.07 ( 2:35 pm at SFO) , also got form N-14
N-14 mailed to SFO: 6.12.07
Oath Letter received: 7.12.07
Oath: 8.07.07 ( 9:00 am)

Congratulations!! Thanks for giving us this update. Definitely this is one of the threads that got more opinions lately, and I am glad you got a positive outcome. I hope you and your husband have a happy life together.

Congrats Dudo. Thanks for reporting back. From what I know of your case, you both seem young and foolish. This should be a lesson to you to clean up and put your papers in order and be organized .

......you both seem young and foolish.....put your papers in order and be organized .

Harsh, but essentially good advice.

While applying for a SIL, I had to send I-20s, EADs, H1 documents which is over 10-12 years for me. If I did not have these filed away carefully, I would had a difficult time.

People here have been asked to prove travel schedules over the last 5 years and had to pull out ticket stubs to prove their case.