Bad Experience At Sfo, I Need Your Help

John Smith 1

Registered Users (C)
HELLO everybody:

i just came back from japan, i went for 2 weeks vacation,

when i arrive at SFO, i went through immigration line, i gave my GC and
my RE ENTRY DOCUMENT to the officer, he was very nasty, he asked me about my NP, I TOLD HIM I DONT HAVE IT , I USED MY TRAVEL DOCUMENT WHEN I LEFT USA AND WENT TO JAPAN, HE ASKED ME WHY I DONT HAVE NP
I SAID IAM ASYLEE,

HE PUT SOME NOTICE ON HIS SCREEN AND REFERRED ME TO SECOND INSPECTION,

I WENT TO SECOND INSPECTION, IT WAS VERY EASY, I GAVE THEM MY RE ENTRY DOCUMENT AMD MY GREEN CARD, THE OFFICER STAMPED MT RP DOCUMENT AND LET ME GO,

BEFORE I LEAVE I ASKED HIM IF THERE IS ANY PROBLEMS, HE SAID DONT WORRY, THEY SENT YOU FOR SECOND INSPECTION BECAUSE YOU USE TRAVEL DOCUMENT

MY QUESTIONS ARE

DO I NEED TO WORRY BECAUSE THE FIRST OFFICER PUT NOTICE ON HIS SCREEN,

WILL ANY THING AFFECT MY NATURALIZATION INTERVIEW NEXT YEAR,

DURING THE CITIZENSHIP INTERVIEW WILL I NEED TO SHOW THEM MY NP

BECAUSE THE FACT IS I HAVE NP

Hello John Smith -

Do not worry, you did the right thing. As an asylee, you CANNOT be held at fault if you do not use your NP. At the time of your citizenship interview, you will be asked to present all travel documents and passports so you will have to show both the Re-entry Permit and your NP. However, it will not be a problem if you have not used your NP. The rule regarding Asylees and Refugees about travel using their NP is clear - despite the number of arguments we see on here.

Just remember to mention during your citizenship interview that you got your GC through asylee and as such do not use your NP. Do this when presenting your material so the Immigration Officer isn't confused as to why you have a Re-entry Permit.

Holders of Re-Entry Permit and Refugee Travel Documents are supposed to be sent to secondary inspection for stamping and verification of documentation. This is normal procedure, so do not worry about that as well.

That happens. It hasn't happened to me so far (touch wood?). I mostly come through SFO, but I've never had to go to secondary inspection. I just go to the Citizen/PR queue and show them my RTD and GC. They ask me some questions, and then I go through :) JFK and Detroit have also been fine. The officer in Detroit was actually REALLY nice. Otherwise, they're just oke.

Uscis is the most unconsistent Department among all the US agencies.
If you were not entitled to a RP, or you should not use that document why then should they provid it to you ?
There is NO problems, have a piece of mind.
They are just imcompetent and unconsistent, and soon or later that'll catch up on them.

i.e: I know a woman, who had a typo of her alien#, when filling her I-485 application, she got stuck on security checks for 5 years, that's incompetence, luck of training, luck of leadership. The interviewing Officer told her that the Alien provided by her was unassigned, that's devastating.
Just, so that you know, you are fine.

Best Luck/

John Smith,

This will happen to you from now on everytime you enter. Even if you use your np from now on. You have been flagged now in their system and you will always go to secondary until you become U.S Citizen.

What would happen?

John,
The only worrisome thing I see here is, what would happen when you would surrender all your travelling documents at the time of your citizenship, including your passport that you have used after obtaining your GC. Would they ask why did you use your passport? If you did, why did you switch back and forth between passport and RTD/REP? Just curious.

John,
The only worrisome thing I see here is, what would happen when you would surrender all your travelling documents at the time of your citizenship, including your passport that you have used after obtaining your GC. Would they ask why did you use your passport? If you did, why did you switch back and forth between passport and RTD/REP? Just curious.

Its normal to use RP and NP but if you have NP & RTD...try explaining that to the officer.

Plus PM, what do you mean by surrending all documents. Theoretically, during interview time, he would have only a NP & the current RP. I dont think they want any old documents you used because normally you send them back.

Its normal to use RP and NP but if you have NP & RTD...try explaining that to the officer.

Plus PM, what do you mean by surrending all documents. Theoretically, during interview time, he would have only a NP & the current RP. I dont think they want any old documents you used because normally you send them back.

Aren't we supposed to show all (possible) trips outside the country? Will the officer have the RTDs and RPs that we send back to USCIS? I thought I would have to take whatever documents I had on hand.

Aren't we supposed to show all (possible) trips outside the country? Will the officer have the RTDs and RPs that we send back to USCIS? I thought I would have to take whatever documents I had on hand.

You have to list all your travels. Nowhere on the applications it says show how you went. It says bring all "valid" travel documents to the interview.

Never give USCIS more info that it needs.

You have to list all your travels. Nowhere on the applications it says show how you went. It says bring all "valid" travel documents to the interview.

Never give USCIS more info that it needs.

This is not correct. The interview notice asks for ALL passports and travel documents obtained and used since gaining permanent residence status. So if you have an expired NP which was used during your 5 year residency period, you must take that to your interview. Most offers will look through your passport and travel documents and match dates listed in the N-400 with the stamps in the passport.

John,

Hi PM -

This is why Asylees should not be switching between NP and RTD/RP. I consider myself stateless therefore I would never use my NP. At the time of the interview you would mention you are an asylee and that you do not use your NP. But I think IOs would want to see one if you have one. So in the example you mention above, I can't think of what an applicant could possible say to justify picking and choosing when they use their NP versus an RTD/RP.

John Smith,

This will happen to you from now on everytime you enter. Even if you use your np from now on. You have been flagged now in their system and you will always go to secondary until you become U.S Citizen.

will this hurt me in the citizenship interview?

will they know about this encounter at the SFO?

DID THE OFFICER PUT NEGATIVE NOTICE ON ME AT THE SFO?

HOW CAN I KNOW IF THERE IS A NEGATIVE NOTICE ON ME IN THE RECORD

In the Naturalization Guide I haven't found on the documents checklist anything saying about bringing all the travel documents obtained and used in the past. Am I missing something?

will this hurt me in the citizenship interview?

will they know about this encounter at the SFO?

DID THE OFFICER PUT NEGATIVE NOTICE ON ME AT THE SFO?

HOW CAN I KNOW IF THERE IS A NEGATIVE NOTICE ON ME IN THE RECORD

There is nothing negative. This is standard operating procedure for USCIS. Most of the big airports, SFO, IAD(in D.c), JFK send everyone with a travel document to secondary inspection no matter if you have a gc or not.

First time they did that to me and the officer said use your NP..but I still get sent back and last time I asked them, they said that its in ur file that you lost a travel document even though I never wrote or told them.

Last time I was getting upset and a very nice lady officer told me nicely, look just calm down and take it easy. We have to do our job to make sure its you and thats it..nothing more nothing less.

I have never used the RTD after getting my GC. have used RP. And there is no problem using RP with NP. NP+RTD is a different case.

Hi PM -

This is why Asylees should not be switching between NP and RTD/RP. I consider myself stateless therefore I would never use my NP. At the time of the interview you would mention you are an asylee and that you do not use your NP. But I think IOs would want to see one if you have one. So in the example you mention above, I can't think of what an applicant could possible say to justify picking and choosing when they use their NP versus an RTD/RP.

If at the citizenship time you tell the officer you are an asylee..he will say why are you here then? You are a Permanent Resident. You got your PR through asylum but you are not an asylee according to the law books.

There is nothing negative. This is standard operating procedure for USCIS. Most of the big airports, SFO, IAD(in D.c), JFK send everyone with a travel document to secondary inspection no matter if you have a gc or not.

First time they did that to me and the officer said use your NP..but I still get sent back and last time I asked them, they said that its in ur file that you lost a travel document even though I never wrote or told them.

Last time I was getting upset and a very nice lady officer told me nicely, look just calm down and take it easy. We have to do our job to make sure its you and thats it..nothing more nothing less.

I have never used the RTD after getting my GC. have used RP. And there is no problem using RP with NP. NP+RTD is a different case.

dear WANT:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWERS, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT

i have 2 further questions to ask you,

iam planning to go back again to japan in sep ,

i usually get visa using my RP, and iam intending to use only my RP,
do you advise me to take with me my NP, just in case at SFO they ask me to show them my NP,

the second question, i told the officer yesterday when he asked me to show him my NP , that i dont have NP because iam asylee,

will this create problems for me when i show them my NP in the future

dear WANT:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWERS, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT

i have 2 further questions to ask you,

iam planning to go back again to japan in sep ,

i usually get visa using my RP, and iam intending to use only my RP,
do you advise me to take with me my NP, just in case at SFO they ask me to show them my NP,

the second question, i told the officer yesterday when he asked me to show him my NP , that i dont have NP because iam asylee,

will this create problems for me when i show them my NP in the future

RP is supposed to be ONLY used if you are out of country for more than 6 months. Immigration officers job at the POE is to make sure you are admisable per the immigrations laws. When you show the RP, the officer wants to know why? because he is trained to see it only for PRs who have been out for more than 6 months.

When you show a RP, he either thinks a)You have been out of country for more than what you wrote on your customs form or b) You are not who you are because for them if you can't obtain a NP, it means your identity is in question.

If you were to be using a RTD, then you can say that ok I was an EX-ASYLEE and I don't want to use my NP. But with RP, you have to use the NP because RP's meaning is something other than what can a RTD be used for.

If you have a NP, there is no reason to lie or hide it. Its not really hard for them to find out so why create unnecessary problems?

You are a Permanent Resident and you can travel with your NP without any problems.

As when it comes to U.S Citizenship interview, they will only frown on it, if you show that your green card(through asylee status) was obtained fraudently. For instance, you visit your COP even if the conditions in country are the same or for instance, you are working for the same government you said was persecuting you...Obvious cases like that.

RP is supposed to be ONLY used if you are out of country for more than 6 months. Immigration officers job at the POE is to make sure you are admisable per the immigrations laws. When you show the RP, the officer wants to know why? because he is trained to see it only for PRs who have been out for more than 6 months.

When you show a RP, he either thinks a)You have been out of country for more than what you wrote on your customs form or b) You are not who you are because for them if you can't obtain a NP, it means your identity is in question.

If you were to be using a RTD, then you can say that ok I was an EX-ASYLEE and I don't want to use my NP. But with RP, you have to use the NP because RP's meaning is something other than what can a RTD be used for.

If you have a NP, there is no reason to lie or hide it. Its not really hard for them to find out so why create unnecessary problems?

You are a Permanent Resident and you can travel with your NP without any problems.

As when it comes to U.S Citizenship interview, they will only frown on it, if you show that your green card(through asylee status) was obtained fraudently. For instance, you visit your COP even if the conditions in country are the same or for instance, you are working for the same government you said was persecuting you...Obvious cases like that.

wantmygcnow,

My NP has just expired and I applied for RP. Should I be fine if I show my RP and expired NP to IO at POE next time I am traveling.

wantmygcnow,

My NP has just expired and I applied for RP. Should I be fine if I show my RP and expired NP to IO at POE next time I am traveling.

Expired NP is worthless to them. Show NP and dont show RP. Any reason for you to use RP? The only reason I use RP is because the German Embassy won't issue a visa on NP(since I have a affadiavit of support from family members which says its for RP)