B1/B2 Visa Holder Getting Married to U.S. CITIZEN !!HELP!!

doctor1

Registered Users (C)
Hello, i am currently in the U.S on a B1/B2 tourist visa, i want to get married to an american citizen here ..i have a few questions please help me with them

1) If i get married now, how long does it take for me to obtain the green card?

2) Can i leave the U.S after marriage and the green card can be in process? (i can come back when ever they need me on my current B1/B2 visa)

PLEASE HELP

thanks in advance!!

Hello, i am currently in the U.S on a B1/B2 tourist visa, i want to get married to an american citizen here ..i have a few questions please help me with them

1) If i get married now, how long does it take for me to obtain the green card?

2) Can i leave the U.S after marriage and the green card can be in process? (i can come back when ever they need me on my current B1/B2 visa)

PLEASE HELP

thanks in advance!!

Till when is your B visa valid? I-94 specifically. I think you are in a very safe situation as long as you get married and send off your 130+485 packet before your I-94 expires. Acceptance of your 485 at USCIS means you are waiting for your case and hence not out of status. (Besides being married to a USC you are allowed 180 days of overstay without penalties).

One piece of advice though, check the time line of I-485 processing in your DO. If you are in a DO like Washington DC where it takes over a year for processing, move to a different address.

Oh and you can apply for 1-131 which gives you permission to travel abroad and return to US without the need of any other visa.

If you leave the States without the advance parole (I-131) then your I-485 is abandoned.

Thanks a lot SakshiSrivastav and LucyMO.. my I-94 is vailid till january 2008, and my B visa is valid till 2011.

The thing is i am a medical student in India , i want to get back to school ASAP

Can i get married within a month and get done with all the procedures and apply for advance parole (I-131) and obtain it within a month as well? my fiance is from Texas.

thanks waiting a reply.

yes, do a consular processing. Plus, it would be a very legal thing to do in your case.

You will most likely not get AP within a month of filing, and you can't leave without it.

Since you are getting married on B1/2, has it been more than 90 days since you entered the US? if not, you could get yourself in trouble if you file for AOS now. Read more on the rule about 30-60-90 days.

Thanks a lot SakshiSrivastav and LucyMO.. my I-94 is vailid till january 2008, and my B visa is valid till 2011.

The thing is i am a medical student in India , i want to get back to school ASAP

Can i get married within a month and get done with all the procedures and apply for advance parole (I-131) and obtain it within a month as well? my fiance is from Texas.

thanks waiting a reply.

Where is your school? India or US? Eitherways, yours is a simple normal case, nothing to worry about. As you married God (a USC - as someone said)

thanks waiting a reply.

Since u r going back to school in India. The best thing to do will be going through consular processing. Your future wife will petition for you in the US and once that get approved it will be sent to consular processing in India. Then you can get the proper visa to come here.

The other option is doing nothing now. You can come to the US on the tourist before it expires, wait for 60 days and then start filing for change of status. This is the path I chose for myself as it is relatively the fastest way.