away from US 3 years GC holder wish to come back

shelter

Registered Users (C)
I got my Green Card from 2001 and expires 2011. I was in US 8 years and I could apply for citizenship because after 5 years is possible so my parents and sister got it. Unfortunately because of medical reason and taking care of grandmother I went to Bosnia and here I m 3 years and never apply for citizenship.
Nowadays can I enter in US with that Green Card? or should I have something else??, I-191 or I-131 or some else.
I heard that I should have some reentry permit because I was away more then 1 year and go to Vienna for it and it is questionable for got it... on the other hand I heard just to get in with the same Green Card?

I do not want to be deported.

Please for some answers.

Unfortunately because of medical reason and taking care of grandmother I went to Bosnia and here I m 3 years and never apply for citizenship.

You might try for an SB-1 visa, but it's likely that you have abandoned your permanent residence and need to start over.

I was already in US 8 years. Anyway thats ok I can spend another 5 years in. But nowadays thing is how to enter in US ?

Did your parents become US citizens before you were 18 years old? If yes, it is possible you automatically became a citizen. If not, your only option is to try for the SB-1 (Returning Resident Visa), but with 3 years having passed it is unlikely you will get it. It is too late for the reentry permit, as that would have had to been filed before you left the US.
I do not want to be deported.
People already outside the US cannot be deported. You have effectively deported yourself.

You would have been unable to obtain US citizenship even if you applied, because once you reached 5 years you left the US, and the process requires that you maintain US residence from start to finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
People already outside the US cannot be deported. You have effectively deported yourself.

Well you trying to be funny or... I do not want to be deported from POE.

and as I wrote I maintained residence whole 8 years by living and working in USA.
How I can see mostly answers are pessimistic about getting form SB-1. I do not want to throw away $400. With that money I will rather by one way ticket to USA and try to pass POE.

and as I wrote I maintained residence whole 8 years by living and working in USA.
Those 8 years are irrelevant, because after those 8 years you were outside the US for 3 years. You could have lived 58 years in the US before leaving, it wouldn't make a difference.