Atlanta Interview experice & Advice

ga0509

Registered Users (C)
Hello all.
I had my interview yesterday and got there 30mins before my scheduled time. I was called in @ 9am promptly and was put under oath. I was suprised that they do really have everything thing you have ever sent them form the i-485 days. anyhow,the officer proceeded to make sure that was not a day early in applying for anything and even commented on the fact that i dont waste time. Officer also commented on the fact that he had not been through my file. Officer went through the application for which things started to go downhill as I was applying based on marriage. Officer also commented that he had never seen an I-751 adjucicated without an interview. At this point also, i need I was in for it. Officer asked if I was still living with my wife and this is where i dropped the ball. I said not presently as she in in school and working also in another state as she is in healthcare. Offered Officer academic transcripts also. Officer looked @ me with a puzzled look and started asking for all sort of records showing martial union. Gave him health insurance cards, 401k benefits information, joint account and credit card, car insurance etc. @ that point, and said a decision could not be made now but will look over my file later on today when done with the rest of workload (i hope its true and he doesnt just put it up to gather dust). Officer also commented that our taxes were done married filing seperately. We do this together but the tax man has always advised so we get more more. Who wont want more $$ in this recession? I proceeded to explain that my wife does taxes as he can see, its done @ the same place and we were advised to do so. We proceeded to finish the interview. I passed the civics questions:

What did Abraham Lincoln do?
Who is the vice-president
When was declaration of independence written?
What Ocean is on the west coast?
What do the 13 stripes represent?

I am drawing a blank on the last 1.

Also asked to write: How many senators do we have
We have 100 (one hundred) senators.

Officer was now looking through my file and noticed I had put down a warning that I got in Austin TX this year for speeding. I explained that this was a warning with no fines. He was adamant on me getting something from Texas to clear my name and gave me an N-14 for that and told me to mail it. I was then discharged. I was to say the least very unhappy.

My questions to you guys are:
1)I have called TX and they have no record of this warning ticket. The lady told me that they do not keep records of warnings because there are no fines involved. The kicker also is that I have a GA license. She said to get a certified copy of my GA license and if anything is up, it would show up on there. What is the best way forward given this situation? Any tips on getting TX to give me a certified copy of my records even though I have never had a TX license and have never gotten to court there. I mean, quite frankly, this is what the FBI checks are for

2)Officer wants to perform some checks on my marriage. What does that mean?

3) I am thinking of writing a letter together with my certified GA license explaining what I have said in 1) above and also 2) clarifying the marriage living together story as she is away @ school but out perm. residence is in GA. is either of the above wise?

I understand that this is not legal advice! nor offer for legal representation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps another lession that one should not disclose an traffic warning even an written one. It is not that one should not be honest but some trivial details cannot be backed up with documentation but IO insist upon seeing them.

If one is requested to be that honest, then one should demand the USCIS do a thourough investigation on driving history of all the applicants and deny anyone
who does not disclose traffic tickets,warning, etc. Otherwise why do others who do not disclose traffic tickets become "proud citiuzens" while those
who are honest get stuck?

Did the IO have your tax records already by the time interview started or did you provide it when he asked? I thought we take tax transcripts with us for the interview.

Coming to your situation, this is something that needs a lawyer's advice and service. They can handle these issues, like dealing with TX department of motor vehicles, dealing with GA state to get that certified license etc.. You can also try contacting TX DMV and ask if they can give you a copy of your driving history. If you got only warning, then your driving history should be clean. I just don't understand why you have to mention a warning (with no fine involved) when no record was created about the incident. I know you want to be honest on the form but you just created an issue out of nothing. Anyway, mention the N-14 form to the lawyer. As for marriage proof, that seperate filing is really a bad idea, especially when you know that you will apply for citizenship. Anyway, go through a lawyer for this one too. Have him/her respond to your pending application. You get only one chance to do it right. Otherwise, you have to file N-400 again in a year or two while filing the form more carefully.

That part with the traffic warning is utterly ridiculous. As is the one about never seeing an I-751 approved without an interview.

However, living apart when applying based on marriage is a big red flag; you can't just walk into the interview and hope it will be OK. You need to come prepared with evidence of visiting and calling each other on a regular basis ... phone bills, bus tickets, airline tickets, etc., and that your permanent home is both in the same house/apt.

Married filing separately also looks bad, although by itself it is not such a huge obstacle. But when combined with living apart, it really damages your chances.

My questions to you guys are:
1)I have called TX and they have no record of this warning ticket. The lady told me that they do not keep records of warnings because there are no fines involved. The kicker also is that I have a GA license. She said to get a certified copy of my GA license and if anything is up, it would show up on there. What is the best way forward given this situation?
Get a "no record found" letter from TX. All that TX DMV needs to do is print out a result of their search. Your IO is being an *** about a verbal warning for a traffic infraction.
2)Officer wants to perform some checks on my marriage. What does that mean?
Likely that he wants to verify the information you have provided with his supervisor to determine if it is sufficient to prove bona fide marital union.
3) I am thinking of writing a letter together with my certified GA license explaining what I have said in 1) above and also 2) clarifying the marriage living together story as she is away @ school but out perm. residence is in GA. is either of the above wise?
n.

You already provided the information under oath. Sending a certified letter stating the same will not do anything more for your case.

Did the IO have your tax records already by the time interview started or did you provide it when he asked? I thought we take tax transcripts with us for the interview.

You can also try contacting TX DMV and ask if they can give you a copy of your driving history. .

OP stated he never had the TX driver License. To get the Tx DMV record, one should have the Tx driver License.

i totally dropped the ball on the warning citation. Yes, wife is in school and works there. She is a GA resident and the house is address is on both driver's licenses. never had a tx license so how would i go about getting a no record found?

Also, IO is not requesting for evidence of marriage. IO is requesting evidence for warning citation..

ga- Im so sorry! it looks like your IO was a pain in the butt when it came to that warning citation. WOW I wish I could help you think of something you could do to solve this, like someone said before if you don't have a TX license they don't have a DMV record for you, so I don't know what else you could do. Now if she said that they will review your marriage situation then there is nothing else you can do, if you provided them with good documents they just be OK with that and approve you. Maybe you can ask for an infopass and explain to someone else the warning issue (I don't even know if this is possible)....it might help.

i totally dropped the ball on the warning citation. Yes, wife is in school and works there. She is a GA resident and the house is address is on both driver's licenses. never had a tx license so how would i go about getting a no record found?

Dude,

You should have paid close attention to the guide on what to disclose as far as the citations are concerned, anything below $500 isn't a major issue, unless it involves DUI/DWI...along those lines. A warning is nonsense, why did you even disclose it? :confused:

On the hand, the IO who interviewed you is a control freak who is well aware of your cluelessness, hence he's bullying you around for these stupid requirements. Nowhere has anyone required to provide proof of a warning, what kind of horse manure is that? It was a warning which means the officer felt that you deserved a second chance, as opposed to giving you an autographed paper which you have to pay for later in court. :rolleyes:

Lastly, the seperate business between you and wife is a cause for real concern, you should brought your wife to the interview as a back-up. Submit proof of marriage, pictures and affidavits from friends and family. He cannot deny this N400 on a suspicion of separate lives, many americans live apart from each ther due to work arrangements. A friend of mine's husband is an architect in NY, commutes there every Monday morning and is in DC on Friday evening, there is more money in NY. She works in DC and weekends is for rodeo..:D I doubt you can receive a no-record from TX, you were never a resident there. Just go to a local DMV and ask for your driving history, submiut it to this "asshy" officer. :D

If you never had a TX license before, call the TX secretary of state or DMV and find out if they can issue a "no record found" letter on your name. Make sure to note down the name and number of the person whom you spoke to, also date and time of the call. Document all these steps. Talk to a lawyer. Let him try it. In your response to USCIS, put it in writing that you only received a verbal warning from the traffic officer with no fine and no record created for the incident. Also, mention that you called TX dept. so and so on so and so date and time and they found no record of the same. As for GA certified license copy, go to GA DMV office and get it. I guess this should not be a problem at all. Coming to your marriage, get some additional documents proving that you and wife live together and she travels frequently. Just get anything and everything that could think of proving your current status with her. It is absolutely ridiculous that they say you don't need documentation for traffic fines below $500/DUI and then demand it when there is not even a record on your name. Hire a lawyer and have him respond to it. You will get approved.

this is what i am sending out together with a certified copy of ga licence

Dear Officer xxxxxx,
Hope the day is going great. Per your request for additional information based on the N-400 Arrest, Cited, Fines questions, I have contacted the City of Austin and the Department of Public Safety, Texas to pull down any records I have in Austin and Texas as a whole. I was told that since I was given a warning citation (I was NOT arrested or fined) in Austin and was told that as long as there are no fines involved (which in my case there isn’t, and fully disclosed on my N-400 app) the system does not generated any case #s nor do they keep records of warnings on file. The kind lady further stated that since I do not have a Texas License, they cannot give a court-certified copy of a GA drivers license record nor give one that states I do not have any thing pending with the State of TX. I was then advised that if there was anything pending, I should check with the state and pull up my Driver’s License Record. Attached is a certified copy of said GA DL record. I hope this meets your criteria as evidence that I do not have anything pending on my record. I am looking forward to receiving an oath letter soon. Thanks.

Signed

will send overnighted and sregistered for. any thoughts?

You do not need to have a TX driver's license to get a no records/match found. All they have to do is search their system on your name and do a print screen of the results..any department can do this..it's a no brainer. The question is if the person you talk to is willing to to do this. It may not be a "certified" copy, but it's should be sufficient for your hardball IO.

this is what i am sending out together with a certified copy of ga licence

Dear Officer xxxxxx,
Hope the day is going great. Per your request for additional information based on the N-400 Arrest, Cited, Fines questions, I have contacted the City of Austin and the Department of Public Safety, Texas to pull down any records I have in Austin and Texas as a whole. I was told that since I was given a warning citation (I was NOT arrested or fined) in Austin and was told that as long as there are no fines involved (which in my case there isn’t, and fully disclosed on my N-400 app) the system does not generated any case #s nor do they keep records of warnings on file. The kind lady further stated that since I do not have a Texas License, they cannot give a court-certified copy of a GA drivers license record nor give one that states I do not have any thing pending with the State of TX. I was then advised that if there was anything pending, I should check with the state and pull up my Driver’s License Record. Attached is a certified copy of said GA DL record. I hope this meets your criteria as evidence that I do not have anything pending on my record. I am looking forward to receiving an oath letter soon. Thanks.

Signed

will send overnighted and sregistered for. any thoughts?

Do not say "I am looking forward to receiving an oath letter soon". That might piss her off. It might imply that you are demanding oath. Just say " I am looking forward to your kind consideration of the case with these additional documents".

Also, you didn't mention anything about the marriage. I am assuming you plan to include documents in your response. Anyway, good luck and please share with us how it ended.

Bob- I think we were refering to DMV records.

Yes, I am referring to DMV record as well..if you call the DMV and ask the person to do a no matches found search on your name, they should be able to provide you a record of the results (ie: print screen) It may not be an official DMV record, but the search results printout should be sufficient.

Ok got ya! you are saying he is able to get a document saying "NO RECORDS FOUND"

Correct..a screen printout of the results. If the DMV agent knows how to do a search, they should know how to do a print screen of the results..if they are clueless, then asking for supervisor might help.

Correct..a screen printout of the results. If the DMV agent knows how to do a search, they should know how to do a print screen of the results..if they are clueless, then asking for supervisor might help.

DMV may not be obliged to provide any such documents simply because a out of state driver license holder show up.

Dude, here you go and just a suggestion...:D

SUBJECT: N400 Adjudication: Alien # 11111111

Dear Officer

As per your request on October 5, 2009 that I submitt additional documentation pertaining to "arrest, cited, find questins", I hereby provide the said documentation.

Warning citation: The City of Houston, TX has no record of this warning in their databases. I was told by "Mr/Ms" (find the name of the person and title) that warning citations are no entered into their databases, only citations with a fine are entered. The City of Houston is unable to issue a official documentation regarding this matter. I proceeded to request a"No Record Found" court documentation from the City of Houston, but was denied as I never had a TX drivers license. Only resident of a state can be issued such a documentation. If you have further questions regarding this matter, please call the clerk at the District Court at this number: (provide court clerk number)

I have provided a court of my driver's license from the State of GA, which encompasses any citation I ever received, including out of state citations where applicable. I hope this meet your requirements for documentation sought regarding this adjudication. I am looking forward to your kind consideration on this matter.

Sincerely,

Denied Need My Citizenship (This will be your full name).

You want to be professional and appear not to be suck up to his butt, but straight to the point. Attach the N14 which he gave you, copies of any documentation like GA drivers record. Mail it overnight with delivery confirmation. You want to be dismissive in a nice way, since you did your dues on trying to get this documentation, he can call the clerk for the same information.