Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Thank you statcomp for you response. My question is: how do I submit my own FBI namecheck? I don't quite understand why I need to do that, could you please explain? Also, how long do I have to wait before making an info pass appointment to speak directly with an officer. I called USCIS today, and I was escalated to 2nd level officer, she didn't seem to have any information for me. She just said I'm within the normal processing time for my DO.

Thank you statcomp for you response. My question is: how do I submit my own FBI namecheck? I don't quite understand why I need to do that, could you please explain? Also, how long do I have to wait before making an info pass appointment to speak directly with an officer. I called USCIS today, and I was escalated to 2nd level officer, she didn't seem to have any information for me. She just said I'm within the normal processing time for my DO.

As I told you, your IL waiting time since FP (2 and 3/4 months) is AT MOST AVERAGE. This also concurs with the USCIS officer you talked to. I hate to say this but there are lots of people waiting for IL before you submitted, and you need to be patient. So I am not sure what I suggested would help you at this point after the USCIS officer said it's NORMAL

As for FBI namecheck, the main factor to consume your waiting time for IL is FBI namecheck examining your name in FBI crime databases which notoriously takes long time for certain people. You can request Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIPA) for yourself to prove that your name is clean. But of course, FOIPA is little different from name check but similar. With the FOIPA response as a proof, you can argue with, for example, USCIS officer that there is no need to delay your file processing IN CASE YOUR PROCESSING TIME IS REALLY LONG. People used it a lot for their prolonged green card processes. I haven't tried it so please google it for more info.

Thanks a million for your response. I guess for now, I will just wait and hope I get my IL soon, since I'm still within the normal processing time.
As I told you, your IL waiting time since FP (2 and 3/4 months) is AT MOST AVERAGE. This also concurs with the USCIS officer you talked to. I hate to say this but there are lots of people waiting for IL before you submitted, and you need to be patient. So I am not sure what I suggested would help you at this point after the USCIS officer said it's NORMAL

As for FBI namecheck, the main factor to consume your waiting time for IL is FBI namecheck examining your name in FBI crime databases which notoriously takes long time for certain people. You can request Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIPA) for yourself to prove that your name is clean. But of course, FOIPA is little different from name check but similar. With the FOIPA response as a proof, you can argue with, for example, USCIS officer that there is no need to delay your file processing IN CASE YOUR PROCESSING TIME IS REALLY LONG. People used it a lot for their prolonged green card processes. I haven't tried it so please google it for more info.

Hello Everyone!
Here is my timeline

01/20/2011 N-400 sent
01/21/2011 N-400 received
01 /26/2011 ck cashed
01/31/2011 - NOA received
01/27/2011 FP letter mailed
2/16/2011 FP done

As of today I have not received the YL. I notice that most people received the letter within a month after the fingerprints are done. Should be worried or am I overreacting?

Thanks for your help!

It has been a month I received Yellow Letter, but has not received anything for IL. What is the time frame for IL after receiving YL?

Recived date- Jan 4, 2011.
Priroty date- Jan 6, 2011.
Finger print notice received- Jan 18, 2011.
Appontment date- Jan 31, 2011.
Finger Print done(walk in)- Jan 20, 2011.
Yello Letter- Feb 28, 2011

Quick question Friends - just now received my FP notice for 4/13 @ 1255 Collier Road, Atlanta, GA. Couple of questions? 1) Is there a parking available at this facility? 2) Do they allow early walk-ins at this location? What are the best times (morning / evening?) / days for early walk in?

Yes, early walk-in is allowed in this location. The best time is about 10am when its less busy at the gate, then the security will let you in. Congratulations!!!

It has been a month I received Yellow Letter, but has not received anything for IL. What is the time frame for IL after receiving YL?

Recived date- Jan 4, 2011.
Priroty date- Jan 6, 2011.
Finger print notice received- Jan 18, 2011.
Appontment date- Jan 31, 2011.
Finger Print done(walk in)- Jan 20, 2011.
Yello Letter- Feb 28, 2011

Your dates are almost the same as mine. Of course, I am waiting for IL too. Time frame between YL and IL varies much. according to my research, it can take -7 to 100 days.

Thanks Surg - I went for the early walk in today and completed our FP, almost 2 weeks ahead of the scheduled date. One concern was we wrote my Wife's SSN wrongly and when the lady spotted it as wrong she struck it off without correcting on the form. She said SSN is not important. Is this an Issue?

Best
Yes, early walk-in is allowed in this location. The best time is about 10am when its less busy at the gate, then the security will let you in. Congratulations!!!

Don't worry about it, your A # supersedes, and will be use to verify who you are, as long as they don't have the wrong SS #.

Finally....

First I would like to thank everyone in this forum for their invaluable contribution and help-I learned numerous things related to Green card and Citizenship here which helped with the fear of the "unknown".
Wife and I had our interview today, went through security in 5 min, waited for 10 minutes and checked in exactly 30 min early for the interview. Apparently, due to staff shortage and bad weather, they were running behind approx 45-55 min. The supervisor informed everyone about it but also said that anyone who interviewed before 1 pm will have oath today. Wife went first at 12 noon, her interview lasted 15 minutes- the immigration officer was courteous and asked questions regarding the application, then gave test and told wife to wait for oath letter. I went in at 1220. My immigration Officer was also extremely courteous and the interview took approx 20 min- mostly because he had to enter data in the computer and go through application. He did ask for my birth certificate and made a copy. He saw my old passports, returned them and kept the "Green card" attaching it to my file. Took test and gave me approval paper. Told me to wait for the oath letter outside. We waited and I received my oath letter around 110 pm, wife kept waiting till 205 pm when she got her oath letter. The ceremony was scheduled for 2 pm but started approx 15 min late. Got the Citizenship certificate and checked it, everything was perfect!!!!
Questions asked:
1. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
2. Name one branch or part of the government.
3. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
4. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
5. What does the President’s Cabinet do?
6. How many justices are on the Supreme Court?

Field Office Atlanta, GA

01/14/2011 - N 400 mailed Dallas, TX
01/19/2011 - Received/Priority Date
01/24/2011 - Acceptance Text/Email
01/26/2011 - FP notice date
01/29/2011 - FP letter received
02/14/2011 - FP done
02/15/2011 - Spouse FP done
02/25/2011 - got email/text that cases transferred to Local office- Atlanta
03/04/2011 - Interview Letter (dated 02/28/2011) received today,
03/11/2011 - Yellow letters (dated 03/04/2011) received today- Bring Driver's License to interview
03/30/2011 - Interview date- DONE
03/30/2011- Oath Ceremony -Done

Last edited by a moderator:
First I would like to thank everyone in this forum for their invaluable contribution and help-I learned numerous things related to Green card and Citizenship here which helped with the fear of the "unknown".
Wife and I had our interview today, went through security in 5 min, waited for 10 minutes and checked in exactly 30 min early for the interview. Apparently, due to staff shortage and bad weather, they were running behind approx 45-55 min. The supervisor informed everyone about it but also said that anyone who interviewed before 1 pm will have oath today. Wife went first at 12 noon, her interview lasted 15 minutes- the immigration officer was courteous and asked questions regarding the application, then gave test and told wife to wait for oath letter. I went in at 1220. My immigration Officer was also extremely courteous and the interview took approx 20 min- mostly because he had to enter data in the computer and go through application. He did ask for my birth certificate and made a copy. He saw my old passports, returned them and kept the "Green card" attaching it to my file. Took test and gave me approval paper. Told me to wait for the oath letter outside. We waited and I received my oath letter around 110 pm, wife kept waiting till 205 pm when she got her oath letter. The ceremony was scheduled for 2 pm but started approx 15 min late. Got the Citizenship certificate and checked it, everything was perfect!!!!
Questions asked:
1. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
2. Name one branch or part of the government.
3. We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
4. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
5. What does the President’s Cabinet do?
6. How many justices are on the Supreme Court?

Field Office Atlanta, GA

01/14/2011 - N 400 mailed Dallas, TX
01/19/2011 - Received/Priority Date
01/24/2011 - Acceptance Text/Email
01/26/2011 - FP notice date
01/29/2011 - FP letter received
02/14/2011 - FP done
02/15/2011 - Spouse FP done
02/25/2011 - got email/text that cases transferred to Local office- Atlanta
03/04/2011 - Interview Letter (dated 02/28/2011) received today,
03/11/2011 - Yellow letters (dated 03/04/2011) received today- Bring Driver's License to interview
03/30/2011 - Interview date- DONE
03/30/2011- Oath Ceremony -Done

Congrats! I envy you as it took 2 months and half to get it done. I hope I can get IL in April but we will see.

just wanted to share some more info about interview experience in Atlanta. Based on what I read in this forum, we decided to take 2 Passport size Photos AND originals and one copy (colored) of each of the following (just in case):
SS card,
Passport,
Drivers License,
Marriage Certificate from Native country (translated),
Birth Certificates- Which I got earlier from my Embassy as they are in english and acceptable

The overall impression I got was that they had almost all documents needed and my Immigration officer had some confusion about my name ??!! He had my SS card, passport and Green card but randomly asked for the birth certificate even though he said if I didn't have it, it was ok. He kept a copy of the birth certificate and drivers license. I also told him about 3 traffic tickets I had 10 years ago and his reply was "you paid them, right?", answer "yes" and he moved on. I felt that the whole interview was more of a formality rather than a strict cross-exam. He was polite, professional and courteous and so was my wife's officer. No trick questions, just the facts. We stressed a lot before the interview but in the end it was a pleasant experience. Both officers were also taking phonecalls and dealing with other things as well while they interviewed my wife and I. Hope this helps everyone.

Congrats Lucky guy !!!

Quick question, what kind of questions will they ask from the application? also my wife does not have her DL? Is this OK or do we have to apply for her State ID? we do not have the originals of our date of birth documents, marriage certificate etc. We have copies though. Is this an Issue?

just wanted to share some more info about interview experience in Atlanta. Based on what I read in this forum, we decided to take 2 Passport size Photos AND originals and one copy (colored) of each of the following (just in case):
SS card,
Passport,
Drivers License,
Marriage Certificate from Native country (translated),
Birth Certificates- Which I got earlier from my Embassy as they are in english and acceptable

The overall impression I got was that they had almost all documents needed and my Immigration officer had some confusion about my name ??!! He had my SS card, passport and Green card but randomly asked for the birth certificate even though he said if I didn't have it, it was ok. He kept a copy of the birth certificate and drivers license. I also told him about 3 traffic tickets I had 10 years ago and his reply was "you paid them, right?", answer "yes" and he moved on. I felt that the whole interview was more of a formality rather than a strict cross-exam. He was polite, professional and courteous and so was my wife's officer. No trick questions, just the facts. We stressed a lot before the interview but in the end it was a pleasant experience. Both officers were also taking phonecalls and dealing with other things as well while they interviewed my wife and I. Hope this helps everyone.

I can only tell you how our interview went. The officer just reviewed the questions such as " How many times have you been married, did you go by any other name" he also basically went through all questions which we marked on the application as yes/no-communism, arrests etc, he did not ask for marriage certificate and was quite satisfied with the Birth certificate from our embassy obtained 4 years ago. My wife was asked almost the same questions and they did not even ask for her birth certificate. If it was me, just to be on the safe side, I would get a state ID and try to get new Birth certificates, attested copy of marriage certificate from your Embassy if at all possible. Sorry could not help more. Wish you the best.

Will an expired Indian passport create any issues at the time of citizenship Interview? Is it required to renew it before i get to the Interview? Please reply!!!

N400 sent: 3/10/2011
FP done: 3/30/2011 (early Walkin)