Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

N400ATl..

Thanks for the words of relief. I hope my case is the same as yours and i clear this in about 4 - 6 weeks. Thabks again for your info.

ATL5515,
Search forum for "Dual A files" (Search button is on blue toolbar/ribbon) You will read about lot of experiences.
I had same problem. I was told about it after all the interview and all. IO told me my file is at NRC and till it reaches DO, they can not conduct oath. Took about 4 weeks for file to get to them and another week to schedule oath. Hopefully your case is also similar and your file will reach soon.
Hi N400ATL

Would you be able to share what is the dual file about.

Hi N400ATL

Would you be able to share what is the dual file about.

When you apply for a US VISA, USCIS opens a file on you where all the documents you have submitted are kept. (A file word may be due to Alien file).

If you apply for GC via 485 and also via consular processing, the way their system is setup, you get two A files on you (based on two A numbers that may get assigned during each process) Same is true (As it happened in my case) if you have L-1 visa and then have H-1/GC, you have two files (one with L-1, one with GC) These are dual A files cases.

IO is supposed to review the A files before interview to make sure there is nothing in there that can prevent them from giving you citizenship. Also before they give you citizenship, they have to consolidate all the file they have on you into one file and mark that citizenship is granted. Unless all the files are combined, they can not give you oath.

Majority of cases do not have duel A files.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

When you apply for a US VISA, USCIS opens a file on you where all the documents you have submitted are kept. (A file word may be due to Alien file).

If you apply for GC via 485 and also via consular processing, the way their system is setup, you get two A files on you (based on two A numbers that may get assigned during each process) Same is true (As it happened in my case) if you have L-1 visa and then have H-1/GC, you have two files (one with L-1, one with GC) These are dual A files cases.

IO is supposed to review the A files before interview to make sure there is nothing in there that can prevent them from giving you citizenship. Also before they give you citizenship, they have to consolidate all the file they have on you into one file and mark that citizenship is granted. Unless all the files are combined, they can not give you oath.

so does that i mean i may have two A files?

i was on H1 B visa and then got married and i got my GC through marriage and now i'm filing through same marriage, does that delay my process?

just curious to know.

thanks.

N400ATL,

Thanks for your response and info. I was in the dark there for a couple of days. this does provide clarity.

I am just going to sit this out. What other choice do i have really.

Thanks Again..

Hey USC ..
Not a good story but not so bad either.

BAD news - My story.
Here is what happened to me
MY time of interview was 1:05, bu i reached there at 12:15 and registered. Was called in 15 minutes to the interview table. The moment i sat there, the officer said - I cant make a decision on your case today as you have "another" file open in another office. - I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THIS AND HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.
He says however that "this is not unusual" - Again no idea what he means.
Anyway, he proceeds with the interview and then says congratulations you have passed the test, but i can't make a decision. Gives me a N652 and i am out of there & WAITING for a "DECISION IN MAIL" - whatever that means and whenever that happens. - Uncertainity looms again.

IF ANYONE ELSE HAD A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE _ PLEASE SHARE.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS - My wife's case - Same time - 1:05.
Does not get called until 2:15, meantime the people are rounded up for the oath ceremony. She comes out all smiling and she has been "recommended for approval".
Regrading the oath, they came out 10 minutes later and handed a letter to her for the oath on 2/28 - Better than the 2 month wait that some folks had.

if your time is 12:15, i think you have a very good chance for the same day oath. If not then at the minimum they will give you a letter there and then, for a date within a week or two.

have you been moved lately and file? just curious

I am done

Had 9:25 AM interview today, got "recommended" and had the 2 PM oath seremony. 138 individuals from 49 countries. Thanks to all for the help/info provided and good luck to everyone.
---------------------------------
My wife will have her interview next week.
-----------------------------------
My wife had to redo fingerprints so she is behind me.
----------------------
Timeline:

Sent my wife's and own N400 to TSC in the same envelope.

N400 mailed via priority mail: 07/16/2007
N400 received by TSC: 07/19/2007
Checks cashed: 08/14/2007
Priority date: 07/19/2007
Receipt notice recd.: 1st week of Oct/07 (Notice date 9/28/07), same with my wife
FP Notice recd.: 2nd week of Oct/07 if I remember right, very soon after the receipt notice (Notice date 10/2/07)
FP: 10/16/07. Wifey 10/17 even though we asked for same day appointments....
WIFE'S 2ND FP: 11/24/07
MY INT NOTICE DATED: 12/28/07
MY INT: 2/28/08
MY OATH: 2/28/08 - I am done now! :)

WIFE'S INT NOTICE DATED: 2/1/08
WIFE'S INT: 3/4/08 early afternoon
WIFE'S OATH:

Congratulations, atl30041. Hopefully, your wife's interview and oath will be just as smooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had 9:25 AM interview today, got "recommended" and had the 2 PM oath seremony. 138 individuals from 49 countries. Thanks to all for the help/info provided and good luck to everyone.
---------------------------------
My wife will have her interview next week.
-----------------------------------
My wife had to redo fingerprints so she is behind me.
----------------------
Timeline:

Sent my wife's and own N400 to TSC in the same envelope.

N400 mailed via priority mail: 07/16/2007
N400 received by TSC: 07/19/2007
Checks cashed: 08/14/2007
Priority date: 07/19/2007
Receipt notice recd.: 1st week of Oct/07 (Notice date 9/28/07), same with my wife
FP Notice recd.: 2nd week of Oct/07 if I remember right, very soon after the receipt notice (Notice date 10/2/07)
FP: 10/16/07. Wifey 10/17 even though we asked for same day appointments....
WIFE'S 2ND FP: 11/24/07
MY INT NOTICE DATED: 12/28/07
MY INT: 2/28/08
MY OATH: 2/28/08 - I am done now! :)

WIFE'S INT NOTICE DATED: 2/1/08
WIFE'S INT: 3/4/08 early afternoon
WIFE'S OATH:

congrats!

please share your experience.

Thanks guys! For some reason my detailed reply did not go through and it was a long one, don't have time to retype it. Just highlights:

- My int. time was 9:25 AM, came about 30 minuted before
- Be nice
- There is security with metal detectors so leave water bottles and such in the car. Cell phones are OK I think.
- Relatives/friends with no appointment can enter the building
- Take elevator to 2nd floor and check in
- Go to waiting area (2nd or 3rd floor). Mine was at 3rd, check in again at a window.
- Wait to be called in for the interview. My IO was very nice female.
- In my int no additional docs were needed, went through my N400 about 10 Qs all from the "blue book", simple sentence to write and got "recommended". Whole int took about 15 mins
- Back to 2nd floor, about 30 minutes wait and got oath ceremony notice for 2 PM
- Went out for lunch etc. came back at 1:15 PM, to the 2nd floor again and there was a lady directing where to sit in the waiting area, when to get to the ceremony room etc.
- In ceremony room first you'll check if your nat certificate is OK, get seated, wait until everyone is in and the comes the ceremony. After that you pick up your certificate and you are done. I was out at about 3:10.

Hopefully helps, no reason to sweat provided you have not lied in your N400 and that you have studied those 96 questions.

I reside in Chcago IL & applied for myself & my wife. We both got the same dates as below. (so nice of USCIS)

Mailed: Nov 3 07
Check Cashed: Nov 8 07
Receipt recvd: Nov 27 07
FP notice revd: Jan 03 08
FP date: Jan 30 08
IV Notice Rcvd: Feb 27 08
IV Date: May 14 2008 - Anxiously Waiting
Oath : Same day may be?

Does anyone know the trend in Chicago office in 2008 for the Oath dates after the IV?
Also, since I got the IV scheduled does it mean our FBI name check has been cleared ??

Regards,

so does that i mean i may have two A files?

i was on H1 B visa and then got married and i got my GC through marriage and now i'm filing through same marriage, does that delay my process?

just curious to know.

thanks.

One thing to keep in mind is existance of dual A files is not the whole reason for delay. The reason is, IO/USCIS sometimes not checking and requesting ALL the files a person has before interview. If your IO checks and requests all the files before interview, there will be no delay. Infact you won't even know that there were two A files.
Majority of people do not have two files. Amongs those you have, I am sure some IOs do check before interview and get all the files. Then there is a small percentage of unlucky people like us where IO did not check until during the interview. Even then, as long as file is at national archive center, they can request it and get it quicky enough. Plus once your interview is over, you have more options to press them (such as 1447(b) lawsuit) than before the interview.

Good luck !!! You are getting citizenship atleast two years before many of us :)

I reside in Chcago IL & applied for myself & my wife. We both got the same dates as below. (so nice of USCIS)

Mailed: Nov 3 07
Check Cashed: Nov 8 07
Receipt recvd: Nov 27 07
FP notice revd: Jan 03 08
FP date: Jan 30 08
IV Notice Rcvd: Feb 27 08
IV Date: May 14 2008 - Anxiously Waiting
Oath : Same day may be?

Does anyone know the trend in Chicago office in 2008 for the Oath dates after the IV?
Also, since I got the IV scheduled does it mean our FBI name check has been cleared ??

Regards,

You might get better replies by asking this question in the Chicago thread. Since this thread deals with Atlanta DO, not many people here would know the trend in Chicago office.
In theory, your IV being scheduled means your FBI check is cleared as USCIS waits till they get results. I have heard some very rare cases where IO told at the interview that FBI check is not cleared and rescheduled interview. Majority of cases, interview has been after FBI check.

You might get better replies by asking this question in the Chicago thread. Since this thread deals with Atlanta DO, not many people here would know the trend in Chicago office.
In theory, your IV being scheduled means your FBI check is cleared as USCIS waits till they get results. I have heard some very rare cases where IO told at the interview that FBI check is not cleared and rescheduled interview. Majority of cases, interview has been after FBI check.

what is IV? how do you know if your name is cleared

thanks.

what is IV? how do you know if your name is cleared

thanks.

Sorry, I mean Interview.
As far as I know, there is no way to know if your name is cleared. USCIS guidelines had said in the past that interview can not be scheduled until name check is cleared. Which is why many people were stuck in "FBI name check" blackhole. There have been some recent court rulings against that but there is no policy change (for N-400) yet. So being called for interview is a fairly good sign that name check is cleared.

You can schedule an InfoPass and ask if your name check has been cleared. I did that 2 weeks ago.

thanks guys...

how does the infopass works? do i have to call to take an appointment? and where do i go see? where exactly in Atlanta?

thanks.

thanks guys...

how does the infopass works? do i have to call to take an appointment? and where do i go see? where exactly in Atlanta?

thanks.

Hello

you can schedule an infopass on the uscis website.
Probably you need to go to the Atlanta local office.