Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Atlanta's schedule is really slow
after a month and still have not transfered to Local Office

home999a - Ditto here. Yours and my timelines are the same. Fate is also similar. At least you got a YL. I didn't get that either. My LUD is 7/16. What's yours?

Guys

Hope you had the chance to look at April and may N400 time line; It averages around 4.5 months from the time N400 submission to Oath taking. I filed on April 1st and took oath on Aug 10th. Same for at least dozen folks who filed along with me here. So if you guys set your expectation based on the current time line, at least you can avoid being stressed.

Based on the volume Atlanta is handling, it one of the faster centers with less 'rejection' rates. Also Atlanta center officers are more friendly (read the posting in this forum)

Guys

Hope you had the chance to look at April and may N400 time line; It averages around 4.5 months from the time N400 submission to Oath taking. I filed on April 1st and took oath on Aug 10th. Same for at least dozen folks who filed along with me here. So if you guys set your expectation based on the current time line, at least you can avoid being stressed.

Based on the volume Atlanta is handling, it one of the faster centers with less 'rejection' rates. Also Atlanta center officers are more friendly (read the posting in this forum)

Thanks, SethuMadhavan. I think the stress is owing to the inactivity between FP and transfer. But, if the overall time-line is kept in focus, probably stress-level will be less :)

Yes; Fp-> ILis the stressful span. Going by current time line, It will take full 2 months from the day you do FP to receiving the IL

How do one apply for a user account to get status update from USCIS Case Status Portfolio

Any links is greatly appreciated

I am ready for my interview Tuesday! =D I have my paperwork and studied my questions... it will be 3 years 1 month from the date I was granted residency... so when you see it that way, the fact you are allowed to apply 90 days in advance... it really only took 1 month! plus the 3 years required as a resident.

My folks are visiting me and hopefully they will be able to attend the oath. Can anybody tell me what the Oath protocol is like? usually what time does the applicant need to be there? what time do guests come in? how many people per applicant, etc? I am hoping for the 2:00 oath... my interview is at 7:45!!

PraetorianXI

When my spouse and I had the interview and oath on 08/12, we arrived quite a bit early 8.00 am (interviews at 9.45 am and 10.15 am) considering Atlanta traffic. The parking lot had many spots available, but they filled up quickly. We both went in at 9.10 am. The receptionist was on second floor which also houses a huge waiting area (9 rows of 24 chairs placed back to back), Oath Ceremony Hall and many offices of the immigration officials. Many applicants had already brought their relatives with them. There were 12 to 15 IOs calling the applicants by their first names, to make them feel easy. Almost all of them were quite cordial, greeting and asking casual questions like - how are you. Some people, like my spouse, were asked to go to third floor for interview, I am not sure how many IOs are on third floor.

During the interview, if all is good, you will be given a sheet indicating that the process was successful and you will be asked to wait and collect the oath letter. The IO indicates what time will be the oath. We had our oath at 2 pm, the same day. But I also noticed that there was another set of people who had their oath before noon. And, I also overheard an IO informing an applicant that his oath would be at 8 am on a particular day next week. I did not know of the circumstances of that applicant.

I talked to one of the IOs who was with us in the elevator while going for oath. I complimented him for his pleasant gestures, he answered saying that the candidates were already tensed and it was for him to make sure that they feel easy. It was my personal observation that this was the only government office I had ever been to where the employees were courteous and elegant.

Before our oath at 2 pm, all the applicants and only the applicants were asked to sit in the chairs near the ceremony hall. They also announced that the relatives and friends could join the applicants later on. And, we were asked to enter from a door on the far end to make a line and our oath letters were then collected and given laminated number slips. For some of us the certificates were ready and they were asked to verify the info. We all sat in the numbered chairs, per the slip we received. After all the applicants were in, the relatives and friends were asked to sit in the remaining chairs. After the conclusion of the oath process, the new citizens were called according to the number they were given, to receive the naturalization certificates; shaking the hands of the oath administrator and exiting the hall. Though there were no clear instructions on taking photographs, I saw people doing it before, during and after the oath process. We would have to check the certificates. Correcting any mistakes would be easier to do then and there, rather than later. The oath started at 2.30 pm, ended at 2.45 pm.

Now to answer your questions, there is no specific printed oath protocol. You can go back for oath at 2 pm right after your lunch, along with your guests. I assume that you can take two guests (the hall accommodated about 200 guests plus 150 new citizens when I had mine).

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very best of luck, Praetorian!

Your timeline (3 years and 5 months) is breathtakingly short, compared to that of an employment-based immigrant, did you know? :) Many of us who are gaining citizenship around now started our immigration process back around 2002 or earlier (in most cases, earlier) with H1B or similar nonimmigrant status.

I have been recommended for approval! I'm waiting on someone else to double check my officer's decision (he said they have a system in place for double checking).

But hopefully I will be taking my oath at 2 pm today.

The officer was friendly, yet professional. Some of the other ones calling people in for interviews looked like they had an a-file up their butt.

But anyways, I came in at 7:30 this morning... Cleared security, went to 2nd floor (citizenship) and check in. Then they sent me to the 3rd floor (AOS) where I sat for 30 min until officer "Bob" called me in. It looks like it's a first come first serve deal though, people who got there right before I did were called before me.

Officer "Bob" swore me in. He checked some stuff in my file and told me to relax. Asked me for GC, DL and passport.

He then asked me to sign the pictures, with your everyday signature. No big deal. He went thru the application line by line and checking with me. We ruffled thru the file (big scary bunch of papers). He placed green post it tabs on key documents like tax returns, marriage certificate, etc. This I learned was for the 2nd officer who will review the file.

He then asked me to read "who was aAbraham Lincoln?" and to write "Lincoln was president during the civil war".

He then moved on to civics:

1) When was the declaration of independence adopted?
2) Name one of the longest rivers.
3) What do we call the first 10 amendments?
4) and I can't think of the other ones... But I got all first 6 right and he stopped.

He talked for a little while and I gave him my son's BC. Talked about working for USCIS and some of his hobbies. He told me I had completed the interview and I should be done by 3:00 pm today!

It was a very pleasant interview and he gave me the N-652 (Natz interview results) saying that I passed both tests and I am recommended for approval.

Now I'm sitting on the 2nd floor, waiting for my oath appointment!