Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

Praetorian,

Congratulations on the birth of your son!!! I can see Nov/Dec 2009 didn't go by without fireworks in your home...LOL!!!! Best wishes with your upcoming citizenship interview, I am sure you will do well...

I hoping I will get some sleep before the interview! but thanks for your wishes! =D

Passport applications

I reside in Roswell, work in Sandy Springs and started phoning post offices after my naturalization interview, hoping to line up a passport application appointment for tomorrow (Saturday, day after my oath ceremony). That was unrealistic ... it seems that Saturdays in my area are very booked up. I finally managed to get an appointment for Monday in Marietta (close to home although not to work).

I don't have any immediate travel plans, but like many of us I have aged parents and in-laws in the home country and am fearful of being restricted from traveling for any length of time, in case (God forbid) they should have any health emergencies or worse. So I pass this along in case it's informative for anyone. In the northern suburbs, it seems not all that easy to get a quick passport appointment, and for those who want an instant passport (which wasn't my issue) it's not easy, since Atlanta doesn't seem to have one of those passport agencies that offer expedited service.

anxiouscdn2

I applied at the Post office in Marietta too couple of weeks ago. I have a question; I thought if the children are under 18, no need to file N400. I have filed N600 for my son who is 16. Did you file N400 for your daughter?

I became US citizen today after the Oath ceremony (I guess the same room and time as anxiouscdn2) after an hour or so ago. It was really cool that my daughters got to lead new citizens from 40+ countries with pledge of allegiance.

I had my interview on 16th. My wife became citizen last friday. The interview experiences were similar to others.

Officer was very professional, tests were easy, first six questions answered correctly so nothing was asked from there on. If anyone interested here are the question:
- Which group of people were brought to United States as slaves?
- What is the name of the Vice President?
- Why did colonists fight british?
- How many amendments in Constitution so far?
- What is the highest court in US?
Last one I don't remember

The officer checked everything on the N-400 form (no. of kids, spouse information, employment, criminal offence and moral character related questions)

Only things from documents stand point which were asked for was the passport and green card. No mention of traffic tickets even though I did not have any.

Same experience for my wife. Also, only Oath letter and green card is required for oath.

I would recommend everyone to take a copy of their birth certificate (and original) during both interview and oath. Seems like this is the most critical document. At one point officer mentioned he does not see the copy of BC in the file but after looking again he found it.

BTW, no status changes online so far after the case was transferred to local office. Also, for some people the naturalization certificates were not ready so there was some extra wait after the oath.

Thanks for everyone in the forum. If I can help answering any questions let me know.

Thanks for sharing your experience

anxiouscdn2

I applied at the Post office in Marietta too couple of weeks ago. I have a question; I thought if the children are under 18, no need to file N400. I have filed N600 for my son who is 16. Did you file N400 for your daughter?

Sorry, Sethumadhavan, I suspect the wording of my post was unintentionally confusing.

I pulled my daughter out of school yesterday afternoon to attend the ceremony as a guest, because it was the moment at which she became a USC also, under the Child Citizenship Act provisions. So I thought it was meaningful for her to be there, and she enjoyed being there and taking lots of photos. My husband (for whom we'll be filing N-400 soon) had to work. I made the passport appointment at the post office for both daughter and myself (luckily managing to get it in her lunch hour and near her school).

We had intended to file N-600 for daughter right away, but are now thinking that if she gets the US passport, maybe we'll hold back on the N-600. It's just the cost that's holding us back. You are probably wise to have filed for your son.

I probably misled you by writing "We were both interviewed...." But that was because I was responding to PremChopra's post. He and I were interviewed on the same day.

anxiouscdn2

Thanks fro the clarification. I read that it takes 6 months to process N600. I received the acknowledgment which says that N600 will be processed in one year time! Also some where i read that our N400 files will be transferred from the local center to USCIS service center in one month time. So if we apply quickly they can hold on to the file. (N600 is sent to the saem office where we took oath). Not sure how far this is true. But I read at several places that it is STRONGLY recommended to apply for the Naturalization certificate for minors since passport alone is not sufficient.I live in East cobb and when I applied for passport most of the post offices here did not have a slot

anxiouscdn2

Thanks fro the clarification. I read that it takes 6 months to process N600. I received the acknowledgment which says that N600 will be processed in one year time! Also some where i read that our N400 files will be transferred from the local center to USCIS service center in one month time. So if we apply quickly they can hold on to the file. (N600 is sent to the saem office where we took oath). Not sure how far this is true. But I read at several places that it is STRONGLY recommended to apply for the Naturalization certificate for minors since passport alone is not sufficient.I live in East cobb and when I applied for passport most of the post offices here did not have a slot

Setu,

for whom are you applying N-600?
thanks

But I read at several places that it is STRONGLY recommended to apply for the Naturalization certificate for minors since passport alone is not sufficient.I live in East cobb and when I applied for passport most of the post offices here did not have a slot

Thanks for the advice about N-600. I'll check into it further. Actually I'm in East Cobb too -- near the north-east corner of the county, where the Roswell 30075 zip code spills over into Cobb, so we have "Roswell" street addresses although we're in Cobb. Answering the question "Where do you live?" is always a quagmire. There's just no simple answer that's not misleading. :)

Anyway, I got the passport appointment for Monday at the Sprayberry post office. I suspect maybe that one is a little less busy than some of the others. Hoping this tip may be helpful if any other people from East Cobb or surrounding areas come reading this.

anxiouscdn2

I used live off shallowford road (near Lassiter/Shallowford intersection). I sold the house and moved next to Walton High 4 years ago as a have two teens. Roswell 30075 is a great place to live; Low Roswell tax + the benefit of east Cobb. I applied for Passport at Grasham Road. It does not take much time. I think now a days you get it at 4 weeks. I also applied for passport card along with passport. It will be handy to keep in the wallet. Costs extra around 40 bucks

Wife Changed Job

Hello,

My wife changed job after we filed N-400. Does it create any problems at the Interview?

Do we need to prove anything?

Thanks

Did you file AC21 at that time? I read in forums that you stick to the employer who sponsored you green card at-least for 6 months after getting the green card.If you want to switch employers during I485, there is a process called AC21 that should have been followed. The officer might check that or may not.

Did you file AC21 at that time? I read in forums that you stick to the employer who sponsored you green card at-least for 6 months after getting the green card.If you want to switch employers during I485, there is a process called AC21 that should have been followed. The officer might check that or may not.

Thanks for your reply. I switched employer after an year and half filing for my 485. No I haven't file for AC21.

Hi, we reside in Birmingham,AL. We had citizenship test in Atlanta on July 13
and passed the test. The officer who took the test told that since we belong to Birmingham, AL the
oath will be taken in Birmingham and not in Atlanta. We have to wait until
September 17th for oath and they will intimate us. It's been close to the date that
the lady mentioned but we did not receive any kind of letter from them.
Some of them who live in our area has went to citizenship test after we went.
They passed the test and had oath on same day in Atlanta.
I am not sure why we were told like that and why is it not same for everybody
who live in Birmingham,AL.
Can any body tell me if they got this kind of situation?
I am really waiting to get citizenship as I am planning to go India once
I got the citizenship. Any answers is really appreciated.

We called them, they only gave the info what the website has and nothing extra was provided. Sorry for my ignorance, but can you please tell me what is info-pass?