Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

anxiouscdn2 , Sethumadhavan , msatl ... good luck everyone seem like a busy day in Atlanta :( DC talking forever can't wait to get my IL

My Atlanta DO interview experience today was very similar to the recent descriptions by Sethumadhavan and msatl in regard to the time spent with the IO. My IO was very professional and efficient in manner. His demeanor was pleasant, even friendly, but there was no time for chit-chat. Our encounter was very businesslike. After swearing me in he went through my N-400 confirming my answers to every question. I'd taken a summer vacation trip out of the country since my filing, so I was asked to write in the info on that trip in the section of the N-400 about that. I wasn't asked for a single item from my extensive portfolio of extra evidence (passports, tax returns, etc.).

Since English is my first language and I previously learned basic US history and civics through helping my daughter study for tests at school, I had no trouble with the Civics and English tests. (Questions I recall were date of the Declaration of Independence, one of the longest rivers, name of the first 10 amendments to the Constitution).

At the end the IO said he was recommending my application for approval, congratulated me and asked if I would be able to attend an Oath Ceremony on August 27th. This is the part of my experience that's a bit different from recent posts. My interview appointment was in the afternoon, so I was expecting that it would be too late for a same day Oath. That was especially true by the time I was called for my interview, about an hour after my appointment time. It's not surprising that the office might start falling behind their appointment schedule by afternoon.

Despite the long wait in the waiting room (and then another, shorter wait for my file to be verified so that the OL could be issued to me), like everyone else, I'm really happy and content to have made it past this momentous step.

From my experience, I'd advise other forum members from Atlanta that if you get an afternoon appointment:

1. You may have a long wait in the waiting room. (I recommend bringing along something to read, to pass the time).

2. Don't assume your Oath Ceremony will be scheduled for the same day or even the same week. This might be important to know if you're making travel plans.

Good luck to all upcoming interviewees!

Congrats! anxiouscdn2! Great work with the spreadsheet.

Big congratulations anxiouscdn2!

Things seem to be moving along with the Atlanta DO.

My interview is at 7:45 AM! :D so i am hoping I will have a same day oath.

Thanks for the congrats, everyone. The community here is a big help with support and information. I appreciate VA_CH mentioning the spreadsheet. :) Praetorian, I'm sure with a 7:45am interview you'll get a same day oath!

Hello Fellows,

I finally received an Interview Letter which is on Sep. 14, 2010 at 7:45 am. However, It states "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". Is this generic letter stating "Initial" or there will be some more to follow?

Also, in the list of "Must Bring" items, it asking for Selective Service Registration" which does not apply to me. What am I suppose to do?

Thank you for your help

BTW. I never received any Yellow Letter

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Fellows,

I finally received an Interview Letter which is on Sep. 14, 2010 at 7:45 am. However, It states "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview". Is this generic letter stating "Initial" or there will be some more to follow?

Also, in the list of "Must Bring" items, it asking for Selective Service Registration" which does not apply to me. What am I suppose to do?

Thank you for your help

BTW. I never received any Yellow Letter

YELLOW LETTER IS NOT MANDATORY
MUST BRING ITEMS ARE
GREEN CARD
DRIVING LICENSE
PASSPORT nothing else

YELLOW LETTER IS NOT MANDATORY
MUST BRING ITEMS ARE
GREEN CARD
DRIVING LICENSE
PASSPORT nothing else

rawjuice, congratulations! Darn, I was interviewed in Atlanta three days before you, but have to wait to become a citizen until the end of next week, just because I got an afternoon interview slot.

About your comments re mandatory and non-mandatory items to bring, wouldn't that depend on you situation? I think sargodhian was looking at the N-659 Naturalization Interview Document Check List that came with my interview letter, and doubtless everyone else's. It has a long numbered list of items starting "If you..." and then with sub-lists of items to bring if this category applies to you. So for example, if your application is marriage-based, then you have to bring your marriage certificate, and so on. So your "nothing else" isn't quite true. It depends on the situation. But for most people, few or none of the other items on that check list will apply.

rawjuice, congratulations! Darn, I was interviewed in Atlanta three days before you, but have to wait to become a citizen until the end of next week, just because I got an afternoon interview slot.

About your comments re mandatory and non-mandatory items to bring, wouldn't that depend on you situation? I think sargodhian was looking at the N-659 Naturalization Interview Document Check List that came with my interview letter, and doubtless everyone else's. It has a long numbered list of items starting "If you..." and then with sub-lists of items to bring if this category applies to you. So for example, if your application is marriage-based, then you have to bring your marriage certificate, and so on. So your "nothing else" isn't quite true. It depends on the situation. But for most people, few or none of the other items on that check list will apply.

oops. i was think from my perspective....sorry, yes...it depends on the situation.

Just wanted to stop by and share the news!

My son was born this August 19th, 2010. right before 8 PM.

He was 7lb 4oz and 19.8 inches. Healthy baby boy and mommy is doing well too.

I don't think I will have a BC to bring to the interview, but I guess I will have to amend my N-400! :) maybe bring some pictures!

Congratulations, PraetorianXI.

You will have many documents (including the security bands for mom and the son) from the hospital at the time of discharge and a letter indicating the birth by mail which would be enough to prove the addition to the family. I assume you would be able to amend N-400 at that time. If you choose to apply for SSN through the hospital service, you might even receive the SSN card in about three weeks.

Congratulations, PraetorianXI. I hope both Baby and Mommy will be doing fine and you had enoguh sleep :)

Anxiouscdn2,

No, I am not talking about N-659 Naturalization Interview Document Check List. It's indicated on my interveiw letter!!!!!

I received a yellow letter asking to bring Driving License or State issued ID.

Regards

Hi Sargodian,

How do you know case is transferred to local office - do you see online or get a letter informing that. We did our fingerprinting on 16th Aug - does the status change online after that.
regards

Thanks to VitalCheck.com I got my son's BC today!

Original BC was sent to the state on Friday. I applied from my iPhone 4 while at the hospital on Sunday. I got the certified copies by overnight mail today. Everything for less than $40.

Proud US Citizen

I became US citizen today after the Oath ceremony (I guess the same room and time as anxiouscdn2) after an hour or so ago. It was really cool that my daughters got to lead new citizens from 40+ countries with pledge of allegiance.

I had my interview on 16th. My wife became citizen last friday. The interview experiences were similar to others.

Officer was very professional, tests were easy, first six questions answered correctly so nothing was asked from there on. If anyone interested here are the question:
- Which group of people were brought to United States as slaves?
- What is the name of the Vice President?
- Why did colonists fight british?
- How many amendments in Constitution so far?
- What is the highest court in US?
Last one I don't remember

The officer checked everything on the N-400 form (no. of kids, spouse information, employment, criminal offence and moral character related questions)

Only things from documents stand point which were asked for was the passport and green card. No mention of traffic tickets even though I did not have any.

Same experience for my wife. Also, only Oath letter and green card is required for oath.

I would recommend everyone to take a copy of their birth certificate (and original) during both interview and oath. Seems like this is the most critical document. At one point officer mentioned he does not see the copy of BC in the file but after looking again he found it.

BTW, no status changes online so far after the case was transferred to local office. Also, for some people the naturalization certificates were not ready so there was some extra wait after the oath.

Thanks for everyone in the forum. If I can help answering any questions let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, PremChopra,

That's lovely that it was your daughters who led the Pledge of Allegiance. My 16 year old daughter was attending too, since she became a citizen at the same ceremony (because she was a legal permanent resident and my child).

We were interviewed on the same day, so both had a bit of a wait for the Oath Ceremony, compared to most Atlanta filers. There might have been people from 50+ countries in the end, because the officer said 48 countries and read them out, but then people mentioned several more countries that had been missed. It was amazing.

Best wishes to all.

Congrats to you all new USC...lol!!! You can party all night too...lol!!! Noise complaints won't be considered a bad moral character when you apply for second citizenship....

Thanks to VitalCheck.com I got my son's BC today!

Original BC was sent to the state on Friday. I applied from my iPhone 4 while at the hospital on Sunday. I got the certified copies by overnight mail today. Everything for less than $40.

Praetorian,

Congratulations on the birth of your son!!! I can see Nov/Dec 2009 didn't go by without fireworks in your home...LOL!!!! Best wishes with your upcoming citizenship interview, I am sure you will do well...