Asylum Interview

kelly123

Registered Users (C)
Allright, so heres whats going on, I had mailed in my asylum application about 2 weeks ago and just got confirmation of receipt and my interview date today. Is that normal? I thought they were supposed to be finger printing me or ID'ing me first. Or is it because I am on a valid visa and they pretty much have my records on file?

You should read the regulations on the subject to get an idea of what to expect.

Start here: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...div8&view=text&node=8:1.0.2.5.8.1.1.14&idno=8

This is just a small sample of what you will find above:

(2) Alien in valid status. In the case of an applicant who is maintaining valid immigrant, nonimmigrant, or Temporary Protected Status at the time the application is decided, the asylum officer shall deny the application for asylum.

(3) Alien with valid parole. If an applicant has been paroled into the United States and the parole has not expired or been terminated by the Service, the asylum officer shall deny the application for asylum.

More is here: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title08/8cfr1208_main_02.tpl

(2) Alien in valid status. In the case of an applicant who is maintaining valid immigrant, nonimmigrant, or Temporary Protected Status at the time the application is decided, the asylum officer shall deny the application for asylum.

Wait! does this mean that someone who is in valid non immigrant status is subject to denial no matter what? Or is it that if they find that you are ineligible for asylum then you are subject to denial? The above said wasnt very clear, sorry.

Wait! does this mean that someone who is in valid non immigrant status is subject to denial no matter what? Or is it that if they find that you are ineligible for asylum then you are subject to denial? The above said wasnt very clear, sorry.

I provided the link to the regulations and suggested that you read them.....did you?

Allright, so heres whats going on, I had mailed in my asylum application about 2 weeks ago and just got confirmation of receipt and my interview date today. Is that normal? I thought they were supposed to be finger printing me or ID'ing me first. Or is it because I am on a valid visa and they pretty much have my records on file?

You should receive the fingerprint appointment letter within the next 2-7 days. If you don't receive it within 7 days. Go in person to the asylum office or call the asylum office and tell them that you have not received the fingerprint appointment. Fingerprint and photos should be taken before the interview.

Note: you can't call the USCIS customer service because they don't have records
for I-589 applications. You can either go in person to the local asylum office or call them.

Looking at the USCIS Forms and fees, I find-----

Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal I-589 $0 (Biometrics services may be required at no cost.) 04/05/2010. Previous editions accepted.

If they are not charging a fee and they have results, they don't schedule you needlessly.

Looking at the USCIS Forms and fees, I find-----

Application for Asylum and Withholding of Removal I-589 $0 (Biometrics services may be required at no cost.) 04/05/2010. Previous editions accepted.

If they are not charging a fee and they have results, they don't schedule you needlessly.

They do schedule free biometrics appointment for all asylum applicants. The system sends an automatic request to the service center that has the jurisdiction of the asylum applicant. The service senter schedules the biometric appointment and mails the appointment letter to the applicant.

*The interview notice and the receipt notice for the asylum applicants are generated by the asylum office and that is why the envelops and the letters look different. The asylum office usually sends the interview notice and the receipt notice

*The biometric appointment letter is generated by the service center and that is why they usually send it separately. It is usally mailed by the service center to the applicant

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I guess I just jumped the gun...I just got it in the mail today, this one was from TX, where I had originally filed at, the interview notice was from Miami. And just like you mentioned it was 2 days after I got the interview notice. And now half the time is already passed for the fingerprints and they dont even work weekends... :confused:

But I guess I gotta make shit happen :p

Wish me luck!!

Hi Everyone,
I live in San Francisco. Does anyone know which service center I have to file for my case, I-589?? I actually filed my application to Nebraska Service Center 2 days ago. Before I sent it to that center, I mailed my application to San Francisco Asylum Office. I know I messed up. So it is like I sent two applications, one is Nebraska and the other is SF Asylum office. I just want to take my package from SF Asylum office. Any suggestion?? Any of you guys knows what kind of consequences I will get??? Thanks.

Thanks, ivanlozada for your advice. But since i can't afford to hire an attorney, I have to work on it on my own. Hope everything will turn out well.

Hi Everyone,
I live in San Francisco. Does anyone know which service center I have to file for my case, I-589?? I actually filed my application to Nebraska Service Center 2 days ago. Before I sent it to that center, I mailed my application to San Francisco Asylum Office. I know I messed up. So it is like I sent two applications, one is Nebraska and the other is SF Asylum office. I just want to take my package from SF Asylum office. Any suggestion?? Any of you guys knows what kind of consequences I will get??? Thanks.

They usually send the package to you back with a brief explanation.

They usually send the package to you back with a brief explanation.

Thanks Assylum for you information. I have two questions. Does it affect on my application which was sent to Nebraska Service Center? Is Nebraska the right address since I live in San Francisco? Thanks again.