Asylum Granted! few questions

Marcre86

Registered Users (C)
Hey Guys!
Today I can finally declare myself an ASYLEE!...:D
I cant believe it after 6 years finally! the first thing I did was getting my DL renewed. Ohhh I think i might have a bigger smile on my DL pic than the Joker.
I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind.
What do i get in terms of papers and identification? I already have the order signed from the judge stating my asylum is granted. I already have a SS, but it says "Valid For Work only with INS authorization" in big fat capital letters:rolleyes:.
I heard now I can get it replaced with a new one with out the little "watch out he is an immigrant" message? hehe. Also something about a new i94?

what about those benefits a lot of people talk about, I heard from financial aid for education to help buying a car. Anyone knows of a website where i can get info on this?:)
And finally I've heard from a few friends that after I become a resident I wont have to wait the 5 years?... something about counting the years I had to wait for my asylum to be approved? retroactive I think is called?

Applied for Asylum: 2002
Interview: 2003
IJ:2004
BIA:2006
Federal Court:2007
BIA:2008
IJ: November 2008
Asylum Granted: Dec 2008

Hey Guys!
I cant believe it after 6 years finally! the first thing I did was getting my DL renewed. Ohhh I think i might have a bigger smile on my DL pic than the Joker.
What do i get in terms of papers and identification? I already have the order signed from the judge stating my asylum is granted. I already have a SS, but it says "Valid For Work only with INS authorization" in big fat capital letters:rolleyes:.
I heard now I can get it replaced with a new one with out the little "watch out he is an immigrant" message? hehe. Also something about a new i94?

what about those benefits a lot of people talk about, I heard from financial aid for education to help buying a car. Anyone knows of a website where i can get info on this?:)
And finally I've heard from a few friends that after I become a resident I wont have to wait the 5 years?... something about counting the years I had to wait for my asylum to be approved? retroactive I think is called?

Let me be the first person to congratulate you. I will try to answer your questions.

Yes you can get a normal social security card. Just visit a social security administration office. I would wait a few days to make sure the databases have been updated with your approval. When you do go, make sure you bring a copy of this with you (http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/documents.htm).

"financial aid for education to help buying a car" make no sense. You want financial aid for what? Yes you are eligible for government aid to attend college. File a form called FAFSA. I have no idea about cars.

You can apply for citizenship four years after you get your green card.

Congratulations Marcre86!

I think you should be happy and ready to work now. You can have aid for college but I don't know that there is anything about aid to help buy a car..... :(

Anyways, best wishes for your future plans.

I have to pick up my decision in a week from today and I am so anxious...

Let me be the first person to congratulate you. I will try to answer your questions.

Yes you can get a normal social security card. Just visit a social security administration office. I would wait a few days to make sure the databases have been updated with your approval. When you do go, make sure you bring a copy of this with you (http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/documents.htm).

"financial aid for education to help buying a car" make no sense. You want financial aid for what? Yes you are eligible for government aid to attend college. File a form called FAFSA. I have no idea about cars.

You can apply for citizenship four years after you get your green card.

Thanks for your answer!
What about getting a new i-94? is this true? Am I supposed to be getting a new one in the mail?

And what i said was that I've heard from people a lot of different stories about the benefits of an Asylee... From people telling me about financial aid for college, to others telling me about financial help to buy a car. You already answered this, just trying to explain what i wrote.

Hey Guys!

Congratulations on getting asylum. I echo what Thankful has replied. I was also granted asylum through Immigration court. When the judge granted you asylum, the judge should have given you a decision paper stating the decision. I don't know what state you are in but here in New York City, I had to wait nearly three months before the USCIS got the paperwork from the Immigration court so that I could be issued an I-94.

Congratulations Marcre86!

I think you should be happy and ready to work now. You can have aid for college but I don't know that there is anything about aid to help buy a car..... :(

Anyways, best wishes for your future plans.

I have to pick up my decision in a week from today and I am so anxious...

Thanks Tonton!
Hope everything goes well and you become an asylee.

But even if they dont give it to you that day, dont worry! you'll have many more chances!

Congratulations on getting asylum. I echo what Thankful has replied. I was also granted asylum through Immigration court. When the judge granted you asylum, the judge should have given you a decision paper stating the decision. I don't know what state you are in but here in New York City, I had to wait nearly three months before the USCIS got the paperwork from the Immigration court so that I could be issued an I-94.

Oh thanks for your help and yes i did get the decision paper. I live in FL so I might have to wait almost the same as you to get my new i-94 but that doesn't matter! now that I have all my papers and I can go back to work and study... awesome!

Oh so nobody has ever heard of former asylees who didnt have to wait the 4 years as residents to apply for citizenship? I've heard this a couple of times. Because of them having to wait a few years to get their asylum approved they didnt have to wait the 4 years in order to apply for citizenship.

Oh thanks for your help and yes i did get the decision paper. I live in FL so I might have to wait almost the same as you to get my new i-94 but that doesn't matter! now that I have all my papers and I can go back to work and study... awesome!

Oh so nobody has ever heard of former asylees who didnt have to wait the 4 years as residents to apply for citizenship? I've heard this a couple of times. Because of them having to wait a few years to get their asylum approved they didnt have to wait the 4 years in order to apply for citizenship.

you have to wait four years--that is the law. Unless you join the military or marry a citizen.

Hey Guys!

for how long did they renew your DL?

after the money for tuition has been paid by federal aid, and you attend school, the rest of the money is wired into your checking account for regular expenses.

1. you can manage the money and go to school.
2. you can do what you want with your cash.
3. if you dont pass your classes semester 1, you go on probation the next semester.
4. if you dont pass your classes semester 2, financial aid is suspended.
be wise my friend.

Great subject :)

I didn't know I can get aid in study ... thanks
but will there be aid in accommodation? house? apartment? :confused:

Great subject :)

I didn't know I can get aid in study ... thanks
but will there be aid in accommodation? house? apartment? :confused:

it may--most likely in the form of low interest loans. go to the FAFSA website and read about it. Grants are used to pay tuition.

Thank you but FAFSA is only for students... I meant in general... if the asylum applicant got granted will he get an aid in accommodation? apartment?

Thankful... you should change your name into "to be thanked" we all appreciate your help :)

Thank you but FAFSA is only for students... I meant in general... if the asylum applicant got granted will he get an aid in accommodation? apartment?

Thankful... you should change your name into "to be thanked" we all appreciate your help :)

Some states do have programs for poor people and asylees are eligable to participate. There are also different charities like Catholic Charity that help asylees. However your asylum status does not grant you right for free apartment, food and etc. I would suggest to go to school and start working as soon as you get your asylum. A few hundred bucks from charities and state government won't help you a lot.

sorry for misunderstanding you. There is cash and medical assistance from the Office of Refugee Resettlment but only for eight months. Then you can get public assistance like food stamp for up to seven years (the seven year restriction does not apply after you become a citizen).

For housing aid in particular, look into something called section 8 vouchers. just google it.

Some states do have programs for poor people and asylees are eligable to participate. There are also different charities like Catholic Charity that help asylees. However your asylum status does not grant you right for free apartment, food and etc. I would suggest to go to school and start working as soon as you get your asylum. A few hundred bucks from charities and state government won't help you a lot.

good advice. This country offers so many opportunities if you know how to seize them. I can say this without reservation even in a tough time like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its 5 years for asylum.

Hey koteya!
Im believe is 8 years, I read something on the website before going to the local office, and im pretty sure I read it is 8 years for asylees and refugees. At least in FL, and they just changed their fees and some other stuff. And it also makes sense to what the guy at the DL office told me, I believe he said it would expire 2016/17. I'll make sure i make post about it when i get it on the mail.

Also Koteya, could you let us know when you get any updates on your i485 application. So i can know how long is it taking, thanks.:)

Hey koteya!
Im believe is 8 years, I read something on the website before going to the local office, and im pretty sure I read it is 8 years for asylees and refugees. At least in FL, and they just changed their fees and some other stuff. And it also makes sense to what the guy at the DL office told me, I believe he said it would expire 2016/17. I'll make sure i make post about it when i get it on the mail.

Also Koteya, could you let us know when you get any updates on your i485 application. So i can know how long is it taking, thanks.:)

They just changed the rules. It was six years and it is now eight years.