Asylum case referred to immigration judge

Setpepsi

Registered Users (C)
Please help me someone. I went get my result for ayslum today and my case was referred to the court because I did not file in one year of being in the US. I now have to proof to the judge why I didnt and I am afraid. I have no idea how this will go and how long the interview usually takes and am I likely to be approved?

Setpepsi said:
Please help me someone. I went get my result for ayslum today and my case was referred to the court because I did not file in one year of being in the US. I now have to proof to the judge why I didnt and I am afraid. I have no idea how this will go and how long the interview usually takes and am I likely to be approved?

First thing you have to do is to hire a lawyer.

Setpepsi said:

Have you been interviewed by the Immigration Officer? If so, your case is to be transferred to Immigration Judge in case of denial anyway. One of the reasons for your denial could be the fact that you filed your application for asylum later than one year after coming to U.S. It's a standard procedure that some people on this board including me went through. Hire a good lawer and get prepared for your master hearing.

Minsk said:
Have you been interviewed by the Immigration Officer? If so, your case is to be transferred to Immigration Judge in case of denial anyway. One of the reasons for your denial could be the fact that you filed your application for asylum later than one year after coming to U.S. It's a standard procedure that some people on this board including me went through. Hire a good lawer and get prepared for your master hearing.

Yeah the reason of my denial is because I applied after one year of being present in the US. Did you get approved in the court? How long did it take? I live in the Maryland/DC area please recommend a good lawyer for me if you have any idea.

Thanks
Setpepsi

Setpepsi said:

Although each individual cases are different but in my case I was asked the same question by the immigration judge about the delay (applied later than that year time frame). My answer was I never intended to stay in this country & as I thought will go back to my COP as soon the situation gets better but evidently it got even worse & I had no possibilities returning home in order to be alive. So that was my reason to be late for filing asylum.
Please don't make up stories just tell the judge exactly what's your reasons & TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE. Don't get nervous but hire a good attorney & chances of approval through immigration judges are higher than asylum IO's. It's not my comment but my attorney told me that.
Good luck.
Atique.

thank you so much. how long did your process take? did you get the results the same day? i am in process of getting a good lawyer i have less than 4 weeks.

thank you

Setpepsi said:
thank you so much. how long did your process take? did you get the results the same day? i am in process of getting a good lawyer i have less than 4 weeks.

thank you

What process you are talking about? From the day asylum officer reffered the case to IJ? Well, if that's the question than after reffered to IJ I was called for a court date within 6/7 months but I had a major surgery so my attorney informed the court about my situation & finally when I recovered I was given another court date on 1999.
Atique.

Setpepsi said:

thank you
i can give you a few lawyers number in DC . I think they can help you out .
One of them whom i know is really experienced with asylum cases .he is litigatian lawyer.His consultation cost $100 but if you start your case with him it will be free.
I have never dealt with immigration judge .it means u didnt have an attorney when u applied for asylum :eek:

Setpepsi

My case was pretty fast. I got denial in the beginning of 2004 and was transferred to IJ. I had my master hearing in about one month after denial and the court itself in about 3 month after that. So I got approval in 4 months after my case was transferred to IJ. You really need to get a good lawer because your case is not very common. You really have to have a good reason for not coming back to COP to convince the judge that even though you applied not within one year after arrival you are still eligible for getting asylum status in U.S .

I am sorry to resurrect this thread, but as of today, my case has been referred to an IJ. I would like to ask for help from those who went through this process. How was it like? And mostly, IJ would grant your asylum?

Today I got no good desision too((( and I am waiting next letter with date of my first haring I need good lawyer. LA

Today I got no good desision too((( and I am waiting next letter with date of my first haring I need good lawyer. LA
sorry to hear that you didn’t have good news like mine. the brown packet that the clerk gave to me also has a list of lawyers. did you have that? too bad my current lawyer would have to move out of state and could no longer represent me. i will have to find a new lawyer before the master calendar hearing. i want to be represented all the way just to make sure that i wouldn’t make any mistakes, big or small. good luck to you!

sorry to hear that you didn’t have good news like mine. the brown packet that the clerk gave to me also has a list of lawyers. did you have that? too bad my current lawyer would have to move out of state and could no longer represent me. i will have to find a new lawyer before the master calendar hearing. i want to be represented all the way just to make sure that i wouldn’t make any mistakes, big or small. good luck to you!
How long does it take from bad desision to hiring date?

How long does it take from bad desision to hiring date?
i guess you meant the “hearing” date, right? well, from what i read from the internet, it could take up to 6 months. but it’s important to attend this master hearing, or else you will be ordered removed. it is recommended that by that time, you have an attorney to represent you because the court date will be determined during the hearing and your attorney could help in case you need more time to prepare your case more.

i will have to start looking for an attorney soon. first, i will need to have a consultation with my potential attorney to discuss about my case, and if the attorney agrees to take my case, then i will have to retain him/her and request documents from my previous attorney.

from what i know, it’s still another long journey to a decision by IJ.

i guess you meant the “hearing” date, right? well, from what i read from the internet, it could take up to 6 months. but it’s important to attend this master hearing, or else you will be ordered removed. it is recommended that by that time, you have an attorney to represent you because the court date will be determined during the hearing and your attorney could help in case you need more time to prepare your case more.

i will have to start looking for an attorney soon. first, i will need to have a consultation with my potential attorney to discuss about my case, and if the attorney agrees to take my case, then i will have to retain him/her and request documents from my previous attorney.

from what i know, it’s still another long journey to a decision by IJ.
Thank you

since 05/14/2018 that i was informed my case had been referred to an IJ, i just received a letter from US Dept of Justice yesterday stating that my master hearing is on dec 2018! that is a long wait, but i think it's good as i have time to look for an attorney and get him/her familiar with my case.

since 05/14/2018 that i was informed my case had been referred to an IJ, i just received a letter from US Dept of Justice yesterday stating that my master hearing is on dec 2018! that is a long wait, but i think it's good as i have time to look for an attorney and get him/her familiar with my case.
Did they cancel your work authorization?