Asylees and job at FEDERAL Government

go2bk

Registered Users (C)
I always thought that, by law, only US Citizens are eligible for Fed jobs. However, I read in one thread (in this forum) that some of you are working for the Federal Government. Did I assume wrong?

I look forward to get your thoughts.

go2bk

I work for the federal government in the IT field. My job doesn't require a secret clearance as most federal government jobs do, so I can work here freely. One requirement for this job was to be in the United States for at least 8 years.

When I applied for the position, the only thing they asked me if i was legal and to fill the I-9 form before the interview. After i went through several interviews, They did a sensitive clerance which required drug test, polygraph, background investigation and references from 3 different ppl who have known me other than my realtives.

The process is quite extensive...It took me 8 weeks to get my fed. govt clearance before I could even enter the building or start my job.

wantmygcnow said:
I work for the federal government in the IT field. My job doesn't require a secret clearance as most federal government jobs do, so I can work here freely. One requirement for this job was to be in the United States for at least 8 years.

When I applied for the position, the only thing they asked me if i was legal and to fill the I-9 form before the interview. After i went through several interviews, They did a sensitive clerance which required drug test, polygraph, background investigation and references from 3 different ppl who have known me other than my realtives.

The process is quite extensive...It took me 8 weeks to get my fed. govt clearance before I could even enter the building or start my job.

You must have a rare skill to be hired by the federal government. They usually do not hire you in the government unless you are a citizen. The only exceptions I know are either doctors or computer technicians. It is a rare chance that they hire non-citizens in the federal government. Some agencies are considered semi-governmental and they would allow immigrants there such as the MTA. Good luck

Jobs for asylees

It is very hard to get normal jobs for asylees. Plus asylees are not eligible for Army. I understood that everywhere u need to have good friends to get good job.Equal employment opportunities are all on papers. :D
Has anyone had any experience getting job as an asylee in USA ?
what is the best source to get job for asylee (except monster.com and dice)in USA?

SINNERSROOM.

I would disagree with your statement about Asylees having issues getting normal jobs. What do you consider a normal job?
I work in IT sector and all the jobs that I have had in the past were given to me with my own qualification, not without knowing anyone. Also no one really asks for the immigration status until the time comes for the application filing etc. All you need to say is that you are an Asylee and show the proof and also print out from immigration site that you don’t need work authorization.
And if anyone gives you any trouble and not hire you because of your immigration status then that is considered illegal you can file a complaint against throug. www.eeoc.gov

Title VII and the other antidiscrimination laws prohibit discrimination against individuals employed in the United States, regardless of citizenship. However, relief may be limited if an individual does not have work authorization.(www.eeoc.gov)

As long as you are qualified in this great country, you don't need to worry about discrimination. I am in the IT field and last year I applied for a federal IT Job. They told me that I was the TOP candiate among others(all other were whites)..My qualifications got me in.....There may be cases out there but I think this country is fair.

When they asked me my status, I said I can work in the united states without any help or sponsorship..showed my ssn and dl and i am good to go...

copper1 said:
SINNERSROOM.

I would disagree with your statement about Asylees having issues getting normal jobs. What do you consider a normal job?
I work in IT sector and all the jobs that I have had in the past were given to me with my own qualification, not without knowing anyone. Also no one really asks for the immigration status until the time comes for the application filing etc. All you need to say is that you are an Asylee and show the proof and also print out from immigration site that you don’t need work authorization.
And if anyone gives you any trouble and not hire you because of your immigration status then that is considered illegal you can file a complaint against throug. www.eeoc.gov

Title VII and the other antidiscrimination laws prohibit discrimination against individuals employed in the United States, regardless of citizenship. However, relief may be limited if an individual does not have work authorization.(www.eeoc.gov)
I know IT skilled immigrants dont have any trouble to get Job in this country .My friends who work in IT Jobs they dont have troubles to find a job in any state. . I know asylee can get jobs easily in Restaurants and Construction .I dont agree with u that U can get any job if your diploma or education qualify .Some jobs u need to be US citizen. And even if you have diploma or experience from your Country anyway u gotta study anyway in US Universities. what about Sequrity Clearence??? For example :police there is no way u can be police . U need sequrity clearnce. I got a few offers from Employers They requsted Citizinship to qualify for job!!!! U can always sue them and complain . I dont think it is gonna work ? They got good lawyers too :)
Normal Job I mean 70.000K -110.000K :)

I work in the financial sector and have not had any problems getting jobs. I did my college and higher education in the US and they treat me jus like an Amerian citizen when I apply for jobs. That's the good thing about this country, as long as you qualify for a position, you will most probably get it, regardless of your immigration status.

Gino

Sinnersroom

Some jobs require you to be a US Citizen and that requirement is legal. That applies to anyone who is not a USC. There is nothing you can do about this because it does not only apply for Asylees. Remember, you don’t even need work authorization. You cannot Sue a company if they require you to be a US Citizen and NO one really cares what your status is, as long as you are able to work. There is some bias in the business world and that applies to women also not just minorities. Asylees have a better chance to make 70-100k than someone who needs sponsorship. All you need is the qualification. Remember if your resume sucks and you don’t have the aptitude for the job then regardless of your residency status you aren’t going to find what you are looking for. If you send out your resumes and no one responds then it’s not your status. You need to change your resume or get some qualification. There are states that let you become a police officer even if you aren’t a US citizen.
No offence my friend but you might want to polish your spelling and grammar cause that would be one step towards getting the “Normal Job”

-Copper1

copper1 said:
Sinnersroom

Some jobs require you to be a US Citizen and that requirement is legal. That applies to anyone who is not a USC. There is nothing you can do about this because it does not only apply for Asylees. Remember, you don’t even need work authorization. You cannot Sue a company if they require you to be a US Citizen and NO one really cares what your status is, as long as you are able to work. There is some bias in the business world and that applies to women also not just minorities. Asylees have a better chance to make 70-100k than someone who needs sponsorship. All you need is the qualification. Remember if your resume sucks and you don’t have the aptitude for the job then regardless of your residency status you aren’t going to find what you are looking for. If you send out your resumes and no one responds then it’s not your status. You need to change your resume or get some qualification. There are states that let you become a police officer even if you aren’t a US citizen.
No offence my friend but you might want to polish your spelling and grammar cause that would be one step towards getting the “Normal Job”

-Copper1
Kind of agree with you, but having US education (degree or skill or ..) helps us a lot. I was lucky finishing master degree in US without paying tution fee. just look around, some paths will lead to a better future. just curious, how did you know fed IT job posting?. could you tell me?.

some of my friends ( asylee, and not having US education) works on the restaurants and any jobs that most people don't like it ( it pays a good/decent salary/money). Just be proactive.

Petejengkol,

How did you did college without paying fees. Is there a special program for Asylees you would like to share , to pursue studies?

As an asylee you are entitled to federal pell grant. It means free money to study...if you dont make much money or ur parents dont make money..then u are eligible for pell grant...You need to apply early in the year so u can get the award..cuz they run out..

I studied 4 years for a Bachelors of Science in Systems Engineering and I paid only 300 per semster..otherwise its 4000 per semester. Its called FAFSA..FREE Application for Federal Student aid.

As an asylee you are entitled to grants, loans everything..they treat you like a citizen...

Find OUT or I can help you out..But first you need to be accepted to a college. I dont think Community Colleges work. I did my engineering at George Washington Uni in D.C

wantmygcnow said:
As an asylee you are entitled to federal pell grant. It means free money to study...if you dont make much money or ur parents dont make money..then u are eligible for pell grant...You need to apply early in the year so u can get the award..cuz they run out..

I studied 4 years for a Bachelors of Science in Systems Engineering and I paid only 300 per semster..otherwise its 4000 per semester. Its called FAFSA..FREE Application for Federal Student aid.

As an asylee you are entitled to grants, loans everything..they treat you like a citizen...

Find OUT or I can help you out..But first you need to be accepted to a college. I dont think Community Colleges work. I did my engineering at George Washington Uni in D.C

Actually - community colleges are included in the FAFSA applications. So, you will be able to attend either a 2yr college or a 4yr university. The FAFSA form can now be filled out online -and it allows you to search for the name of the school you would like to attend - if the school is listed, then FAFSA can be used there. Check out the url for detailed information www.fafsa.ed.gov

Goodluck on your educational endeavors Asylee13. And Wantmygcnow - congrats on your BSSE! I love hearing about asylees who excel and not let the 'system' keep them down. :)

LolaLi said:
Actually - community colleges are included in the FAFSA applications. So, you will be able to attend either a 2yr college or a 4yr university. The FAFSA form can now be filled out online -and it allows you to search for the name of the school you would like to attend - if the school is listed, then FAFSA can be used there. Check out the url for detailed information www.fafsa.ed.gov

Goodluck on your educational endeavors Asylee13. And Wantmygcnow - congrats on your BSSE! I love hearing about asylees who excel and not let the 'system' keep them down. :)

Agreed. Limitless opportunities exist for asylees in this country. Take advantage of them and realize how fortunate you are.

Asylee13 said:
Petejengkol,

How did you did college without paying fees. Is there a special program for Asylees you would like to share , to pursue studies?

Nothing special, I just searched job opportunities at the university (not collage) , and got good responses from professors. the deal was: working in the campus as a reseach assistants or teaching assistans. While not paying tuition fee, I worked for proffesor in the campus and had to maintain my GPA 3.0 to up.
I was studying at Georgia State University, and really enjoyed it (12 credits every semester plus working as a research assistant and also working on the weekend at the restaurant,)
I just paid for the health insurance + mandatory fee (bus, library, parking) $300 for every semester.

as on the previous posting, you can request aids from Gov (FAFSA) for your education, one on my friend took this way, and got approved.

I was using F1 VISA for one semester before applying asylum (the tution fee was killing me, but I had 1/2 tution reduction luckily)

my suggestion is: try to enroll public university. you will have many opportunities, besides studying a little harder comparing in collage. and never think going to private collage or university, that's too way expensive for me :).

I hope, will help you.

Cheers,
:)

I agree with Petejengkol - it is often best to attend state universities as they are cheaper and usually any FAFSA awards would be able to cover the entire tuition amount. Whereas if you went to a private school your FAFSA award may only cover a percentage of the tuition leaving you to handle the rest. State universities also have numerous internal scholarshsips available to eligible students. Though these scholarships don't pay much (often between $500 - 1000 per semester), a person can have more than one scholarship at a time. Check with your state university for a listing of all the available scholarships - and make sure you apply well in advance since the funds are limited.

I would also recommend folks to start off in a community college since it is much cheaper than the state university and courses taken there can be transfered to the local state university. Before you do this, you need to make sure you will be able to transfer to the school you want - and that the degree program you are enrolled in the community college matches up with your intended university degree. The good thing about community colleges are that they are so cheap - one can pay for them often without financial aid. And I can say with certainty that FAFSA will cover all of your expenses for community colleges since they are quite low.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in the process of completing my Undergradution in computers. Right now i am completing my GE and lower divisional courses in commnity college (and paying the fee). I did apply for FAFSA in 2004. But isn't that just a way to get loan for anyone. You still have to pay that back. I am looking for some aid if any for my Upper divisional courses in state university , which are really really expensive. Is there any special grants for Asylees.
BTW how can i use FAFSA report i got after applying and how do we pay back???

Asylee13 said:
I am in the process of completing my Undergradution in computers. Right now i am completing my GE and lower divisional courses in commnity college (and paying the fee). I did apply for FAFSA in 2004. But isn't that just a way to get loan for anyone. You still have to pay that back. I am looking for some aid if any for my Upper divisional courses in state university , which are really really expensive. Is there any special grants for Asylees.

I suggest you to work at your university ( assuming you take collage courses , and transfer toward to you university courses). Try to find student assistants, or research assistants, or any job position in campus. by having a job in campus, you can request tuition waiver from 1/2 to none. Or any scholarship in your university?, try to find to any department. If you granted and can maintain your GPA as highest as possible, make it min at 3.0 average.
I believe every public university has different policies, please check it to play safe and sound.
try to make realy good relation to any kind/generous proffessor in your campus, this stratergy will help you a lot: for example: searching tution waiver or scholarship, because some of proffessor has different grant from University to do research or something. please play smart and safe to achieve you goals, of course by following policies in you campus/univeristy.

try to gain any access or benefit for student, such as: library benefit, career networks, etc. in my campus, If you are warking as an assistants, you can borrow the books for one semester, hm neat :) and you can access computer lab with out restriction ( you can request permision if a assistant),there are 3 computer labs, which one of them is a main room, closing at 11:00 PM. I did all my work, study, home work mostly in the computer lab. and there are many more:).

I did enjoy studying in US. Only a majority (I'm an minority ethnic, so 95% is impossible, only the luckiest one) can go to public university in my country, which is affordable.
In here, they don't really care where am I from, and my religion. as long as I am capable and show my 100% willing to study.

those are the really helpfull for me while tried to finish my study. It looks hard, but you will receive what you have to earn in the future.

I dont Really know about FAFSA. I tried to get my FAFSA at the sametime, but granted research assistant at that time, It helped me a lot to pass many paperworks. I dropped my FAFSA aplication, because I have two year free tuition fee and every semester have to maintain 12 credits :( ( not easy while working on campus. On every semester, I have to request to be a reseach assitant and maintain my GPA at least 3.4 . that was OK, I had good relation with four proffessors. I worked for 4 different proffessor so far, and had good feedbacks to consider be elected as a research assistant.

I hope my sharing will give you ideas.

Peace.

At the undergraduate level, you can fill out the FAFSA and get grant funds from the federal government (if your income meets the guidelines). You do not have to pay back grant funds; they are an outright gift to you. They are called the Pell Grant and the SEOG.

Asylee13 said:

I agree that you should attend a state school in most cases. But if you are able to get accepted to a selective private university you should go there. These schools have very well-endowed financial aid programs so for most students their actual out-of-pocket expenses should only be slightly greater than at public universities. And the opportunties you have once you graduate from those schools are incomparable.

I received a generous financial aid package from Yale University. And a Yale degree give me huge advantages in securing my post college job offers and now my law school admissions.

LolaLi said:
I agree with Petejengkol - it is often best to attend state universities as they are cheaper and usually any FAFSA awards would be able to cover the entire tuition amount. Whereas if you went to a private school your FAFSA award may only cover a percentage of the tuition leaving you to handle the rest. State universities also have numerous internal scholarshsips available to eligible students. Though these scholarships don't pay much (often between $500 - 1000 per semester), a person can have more than one scholarship at a time. Check with your state university for a listing of all the available scholarships - and make sure you apply well in advance since the funds are limited.

I would also recommend folks to start off in a community college since it is much cheaper than the state university and courses taken there can be transfered to the local state university. Before you do this, you need to make sure you will be able to transfer to the school you want - and that the degree program you are enrolled in the community college matches up with your intended university degree. The good thing about community colleges are that they are so cheap - one can pay for them often without financial aid. And I can say with certainty that FAFSA will cover all of your expenses for community colleges since they are quite low.