Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2011 Tracker

I think the best advice is to just leave your application process as is and wait until during interview. In any case thats when the IO asks and confirms with the applicant if they want a name change or not and he can do the adjustment at that particular time. Hope it helps.

Hello everyone,
when I filed my N-400, I stated on the form that I want to change my name. However, I changed my mind and now want to keep my old name as is. Should I call the 800 number to inform about my decision, or can I simply indicate that during the interview???

Hello everyone,

I'm getting ready to apply for citizenship. I couldn't be more excited and I hope this process goes smoothly.

I was granted permanent residency on 08/13/06 and I believe I can apply for citizenship on 5/14/11. Does this sound right?

My question is regarding trips outside the USA. To my understanding you have to be outside of the country for more than 6 months. However, I have read people waiting to apply according to the dates they have been out of the country.

I went to Germany for 18 days in 2007, 26 days in 2008, 22 days in 2009, 26 days in 2010 and I planning to go this year again in May 11 -30, being 19 days.
Also, I went to Mexico for 13 days at the end of 2008 and to Costa Rica 13 days at the end of 2010. Total 137 days in 5 years, more than 4 months, but not 6 months.

My question is, do I have to wait 137 more days from 5/14/2011 to apply?

If it is not a problem, I wanted to tell my parents to send my application on 5/15/2011 while I'm going to still be out of the country until the 5/30/11, do you think that would be a problem? From what you guys have posted, it seems it takes roughly a month from when you first apply to get the fingerprint appointment and I will be back to the country by then. I just want to get the appointment before I start working in July.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your reply vdostoi1! I'm relieved I don't have to wait extra time.
I'll keep you guys posted once my application gets moving!

FingerPrinting Schedule

Hello All,

Can you someone go ahead and do fingerprinting ahead of the appointed schedule time given to me because i see few people doing it so i don't know if someone gets rejected when you show up at their office.

it all depends on how things work at that office, the staff and if they are busy or not. most of ASC allow walk ins, specially if they are not busy. it won't hurt to try. the worst thing that could happen is that, they say they can not do it and they will make u turn around. but it will not affect ur application.

Thanks for your reply, the forum has been very silent lately looks like most people are citizens already

Finally ,my case status has been updated to Testing and Interview

Last edited by a moderator:
kalvar : your timeline is wrong in your statement you are saying the interview is on June 15th, in your signature is May 15 !!!

I will correct it immediately.

Flamingo- 3 weeks is incredibly fast. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been checking this forum for the last 4 years and found the information very helpful. I had my Interview yesterday and was recommended for approval. The interview was very straightforward. The officer went over the questions in my application form. I did get asked a few dates from my Assylum application. I had a DUI in 1997, but have submitted the original court disposition in my N400 package. After 10 min of going over my N400 application I was asked the civil questions and written ones. Here is my time line:
Assylum Approved: 12/1996
Applied for a GC 2003
Green Carrd approved May 2006
N400 Mailed 3/1/2011
NOA received 3/7/2011
FP notice received 3/20/2011
FP Done 4/1/2011
IL Received 4/15/2011
Interview Date: 5/17/2011

I've been checking this forum for the last 4 years and found the information very helpful. I had my Interview yesterday and was recommended for approval. The interview was very straightforward. The officer went over the questions in my application form. I did get asked a few dates from my Assylum application. I had a DUI in 1997, but have submitted the original court disposition in my N400 package. After 10 min of going over my N400 application I was asked the civil questions and written ones. Here is my time line:
Assylum Approved: 12/1996
Applied for a GC 2003
Green Carrd approved May 2006
N400 Mailed 3/1/2011
NOA received 3/7/2011
FP notice received 3/20/2011
FP Done 4/1/2011
IL Received 4/15/2011
Interview Date: 5/17/2011
Congrats, did the IO ask you a lot about your asylum case? if so can you be a bit more specific about what he asked. I would really appreciate your response. I will have my interview next month on 16 th. What is your district office

Mgy,
Congrats,, where you asked federal tax returns and state tax returns ? what district did you file from??

Congrats, did the IO ask you a lot about your asylum case? if so can you be a bit more specific about what he asked. I would really appreciate your response. I will have my interview next month on 16 th. What is your district office

The only questions was related to the information whether I've ever been arrested. I had a DUI in 1997, other than that the only other time I was detained was in my COP. I had to give him the dates, and he asked me if they match my original Assylee application, which he had in front of him. (my file is kind of long). Those were the only references. Other than that the interview was very fast and smooth and the IO was very professional. Hope it helps. I was interviewed in SF

I had originally attached all of my federal tax returns in the origianl applications. He never asked me for another copies. I did not attach state returns. I was in San Francisco.

The only questions was related to the information whether I've ever been arrested. I had a DUI in 1997, other than that the only other time I was detained was in my COP. I had to give him the dates, and he asked me if they match my original Assylee application, which he had in front of him. (my file is kind of long). Those were the only references. Other than that the interview was very fast and smooth and the IO was very professional. Hope it helps. I was interviewed in SF
Thank you for the reply and sharing your experience

I am filing for asylum with unauthorized employment.Need help.

Hi everyone,
I am about to file for asylum.I came to the U.S on F-1 and attended a semester then stopped.I have been working off-campus with my social security.Will my asylum be denied because of that?I was advised to not mention it on the form but am scared they might find out.should I do it that way or mention it in the form?PLEASE HELP.