Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2011 Tracker

Finally became USC

Hi fellows,

It took me all togather, 119 days from application file date to an Oath Ceremoney. I am proud to be USC now. I had to wait about 40 days between interview and Oath ceremony date because my GC was not complete 5 years at the time of Interview. Otherwise my Oath would be on April 26, which would make my Naturalization process complete within 100 days. It's FAST.....!!!

Thanks all of you (specially to wantmygcnow, thankful,shefe assylum etc) for your help, supports and advices in the issues regarding my Asylum, Green Card and finally Naturalization.

please check out my signature for timeline......

Thank you,
Nepz06

Hi, I just went to the interview in San Francisco and after a short chit-chat with the officer I passed the exam, but the officer couldn't make a decision since she didn't finish reading my case (I mind you it's 3 thick folders). I am very anxious. My US record is perfect, I never even had a parking ticket. My travels are minimal. However, I mentioned that I never been arrested. In my asylum statement though I stated that I was taken away twice during protests but never had any paperwork or record of detention and/or release (I was later just let go). My officer asked me a few times about that. And I told her that I was taken away by special forces but never arrested. Please, give me some advice in this case... How much should I worry?!

Hi all,

I would like to thank everyone for their support, for all the ideas and information provided. On Wednesday, May 25 2011 I passed my Naturalization Interview in Centennial, CO (Denver Field Office).
I mailed my N-400 in mid-February, got fingerprinted about a month after that. I did receive Yellow Letter and Interview Notice 4-6 weeks before the interview date. Overall, the whole process took about 3 months.
Denver office does interviews and ceremony on the same day which is really nice. Now, my interview experience:

My interview was scheduled at 11:15, I got to the waiting room around 11:05 and got called in by a male officer around 12:15. He started interview by asking me to raise my right hand and swear to tell the truth, then he asked me to sign a paper allowing him to interview me without my attorney's presence (I had attorney filing my N-400, but opted to go to the interview myself). Then he asked me to give him my Green Card and Travel Document. After that he asked me whether I received my GC through asylum and I said yes. Then he started asking questions regarding my ethnicity (from my asylum case), but quickly moved on to N-400 Application. He did say that he was asking questions from my asylum case because he used to be an asylum officer...
We went through N-400 fairly quick, he asked me if was detained, and I said "yes, in my home country because of my political activities", he was satisfied with that answered and we moved on. Then he asked me 6 civic questions, asked me to read and write one sentence, asked me to sign N-400 that we did not make any changes and told me to come back for Oath Ceremony at 1:30 the same day. That's pretty much it.

I did not renew my passport, I did not travel to COP. I was detained in COP and did not have any certified papers, but I explained it to the officer and he was ok with that.

After the ceremony I went to the county clerk right away and I applied for US Passport.

Thanks again everyone and God Bless America!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my interview today at the KC office. I was there 20 minutes before my appointment time, which was at 10:00 am. I was called in at the 10:35 and the whole thing lasted like 15 minutes. The officer started with the test and after answering 6 questions right, the officer proceeded to ask me for my green card and COP passport and others I have used. She went over my application and I signed the application. She congratulated me that I passed and she was recommended me for approval and she told me to check my mail for my the oath letter. She asked me if I have any questions and I said no. So I walked out. I know they have a Naturalization ceremony on June 16th at 9:00 and 1:00 pm, but I am not sure if I will make it to that one. If I do it will be too fast I think. There is another one in July 12 and at the same times. So it will be just a little time to wait. Well, there was my experience guys. This forum has helped me a lot. Sure I want to listen more experiences.

Updating my status: Received and email that my application has been placed in line for Oath Ceremony

This is what it is updated online:
Oath Ceremony

On June 7, 2011, we placed your application in the oath scheduling que. We will send a notice when the ceremony is scheduled. If you move prior to the scheduled ceremony, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

Naturalization Applicants: you will receive your certificate at your oath ceremony. You can expect to be scheduled for an oath ceremony within 45 days of receiving your recommended approval. Many offices schedule approved applicants for the oath ceremony on the same day as the day of the interview. Please check the local office profile page on our website to determine if the office where you will be interviewed schedules same day oath ceremonies.
I think everything it is almost over.

Received oath Letter for 22nd of June (San Francisco). 16 years later I am getting close. The N 400 process started on March 7th.

Hi all,

I just got home from the citizenship interview.
It was scheduled for 9:00 this morning. I arrived a little early.
Gave them my interview letter and proceeded to take a seat. 2 minutes later they called my name.

The officer was an older hispanic gentleman. He was extremely polite. We went over the application to make sure nothing had changed. Then 6 civics questions. He stopped there because I answered all correct. He also showed me a question about who elects the congress and also showed me the full answer i.e. the people elect the Congress. He then asked me to write that answer down.

Absolutely no questions asked about my asylum case. No questions asked about trips outside the country even though I have never been to COP and I have never renewed my COP passport.

He asked for all my travel documents. I put them on the table but he did not even bother checking those. He only looked at the GC and DL.

All in all we spent less than 8 minutes talking about the actual application. We spent about 15-20 minutes talking about his career and mine as a recent graduate. The gentleman was very intelligent. He was a former psychology professor, held a PhD, had served in the army and was also a Certified Fraud Examiner. I was impressed!

He asked me if I wanted to take the oath this Friday. You can guess my answer yourself.
At 10:00 AM on Friday this journey will be over.

My field Office is Orlando for those who do not know.

Congrats

Congrats kalvar, i do have a question, that is not part of the 100 questions they gave us to study though "who elects the congress and also showed me the full answer i.e. the people elect the Congress"

Thanks Flamingo. Yours is probably in the mail too, don't worry.

Shefe,

He just wanted to see if I could write the answer correctly. It was not part of the civics test.
The civics questions that he asked were:

1.Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?
2.Who is the Commander in Chief?
3.Which party does the current President belong to?
4.Which are the 2 main political parties?
5.Can you mention 3 of the original 13 colonies?
6.Can you mention a state that borders Mexico?

And that ended it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was recommended for approval on 06/13 in San Francisco.

The officer was african-american woman, all business, no smile, no chit-chat, sometimes nervous and even impatient. She spoke with slight accent, I had to ask her to repeat questions several times.
Was asked if I was arrested/persecuted in my home country, why I applied for asylum and if I traveled there (I didn't). She quickly checked my NP, no questions about it's extension.

I answered majority of questions with "no", "yes", test questions 6 out of 6. Overall it's was not too bad, especially comparing to asylum interview. Now waiting for Oath letter.