Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

i will mail my application in the next 2 weeks,

my GC shows resident since 08 16 2004,

on what date shall i mail my application?

thanx guys.
FYI, san francisco is faster than san jose about 11/2 month.
and john ,you donnt send many docs with application.just copy of your green card front and back,selective services status info letter if you didn,t registered as supposed to be and a letter of explanation,two pictures.and check of $675.
rest if they need more they will ask for it in your interview letter.
even if you miss something you can always add it at the time of interview.

thanx guys.
FYI, san francisco is faster than san jose about 11/2 month.
and john ,you donnt send many docs with application.just copy of your green card front and back,selective services status info letter if you didn,t registered as supposed to be and a letter of explanation,two pictures.and check of $675.
rest if they need more they will ask for it in your interview letter.
even if you miss something you can always add it at the time of interview.

dear paramvir1

thanks for your respond, how can i get selective service status info letter?

do i write a letter and state that i did not register for selective service?

i came to this county on F1 visa when i was 24 years only, was i supposed
to register for selective service at that time?

as long you are on non immigrant visa you are not required to register.
second if you are age of 31 on the date you file n400 you are exempt from this requirement even you failed to register..in order to get status info letter use specific form for this on selective service website.they take about 4 monts to get one.

I have tons of questions. I just hope I get some good clarifications here. Thank you in advance!

In about less than a month I must submit my papers to request Citizenship thru Asylum. I've patiently been waiting to start my process and on June 2 I need to send my package, but I want to change my name and it will not be my husband's last name. Could I go right now to the Court and start my name change process so by the time I need to submit my request the new name is already in place? Does anyone knows how this works? The idea that I have in mind is that I will include with my N-400 form the court order with the new name so eventually when they do the background check the new name current. I will have my interview and then my Oath and finally I will be registered with the USCIS under the new name and it will be like my Federal recognized sole official name.

Does this makes sense? Will starting now before submitting papers save me some time? I understand that I will have to pay the court fees, but I also read that if I do this thru the USCIS, I make require to have a special Oath ceremony and, although I may not pay additional, I may end up adding like a few more months to the process due to FBI name check.

I also read in this forum that I could go to the court and request a name change after the entire Citizenship process and Oath, but apparently that new name will not be accepted in all places.

I do really want to change my name for personal reasons but I don't want to delay my process. I'm in Miami. Are we talking about a year to have my US passport? More? I don't know how long this process takes and if there is chance to have a same day ceremony when requesting name change.

My other question is, if it will be about the timeline to get the actual interview, oath and finally passport if requesting citizenship through asylum. I just need to know if it would take longer than, let's say for a normal 5 year permanent resident (thru work, marriage, etc.). I read in this forum that using the 5 year - 90 day rule (or in my case 4 year -90 day rule) the interview is given about 3 months after receiving the N-400 and then if everything goes right the Oath should be about 3 months afterwards - if nothing gets off the track.

I do know there is no certainty of anything with all this paperwork, but I just want to have an idea and a scope... Also, what is Miami's timeline lately? Please clarify!
It seems that it takes foreverTxs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview was rescheduled for June, 19 by my attorney for being a few days short of 3 years anniversary on the day of the interview.
God, i will be so glad when this is over!

Timeline SFO

05/01/09: N400 fedexed to Phoenix AZ service center
05/07/09: Documents received
05/14/09: Check cashed

Devi

I am happy that your cases seem to move fast. Hopefully, you will all naturalize within 5-6 months of applying.

That's right. Since the application support center is just on my way to work so I stopped by and asked the receptionist nicely and he took me in without hesitation. 30 minutes later I was out.

I am wondering if it makes the process any quicker if you do a walk in FP. My FP appointment was set for 5/28 but gotten my FP done on 5/8 as I was off from work. The stamp on the back of my FP letter is dated 5/28, so makes me think that they wont be sending anything to FBI until after 5/28.

They put the stamp on the front of my notice. And it's dated as of 5/14.

I doubt they would hold off sending your fingerprints. They can't be that organized.:D