Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

Change of name

did they asked you if you like to change your name at interview..?

I think you have an option to change name while you apply for citizenship in form N400 but yes you can tell the IO you want to change name at interview as per some posts in the Citizenship forum.

Hello !
I don't know if people still remember me, I haven't been here since I've got my Green Card.
I have a question and will appreciate any advice.
My green card is back dated to March 2003, so I am eligible to apply for citizenship.
For one member of my family INS didn't back dated GC and this application (N400) was returned.
Question: should I just ignore and wait a couple of month and then re-apply or should I send them approval letter that shows approval date and explain what happened?
I am so accustomed to deal with them( INS) that I am kind of miss it :)

Thank you,
Irina

Hello !
I don't know if people still remember me, I haven't been here since I've got my Green Card.
My green card is back dated to March 2003, so I am eligible to apply for citizenship.
For one member of my family INS didn't back dated GC and this application (N400) was returned.
Question: should I just ignore and wait a couple of month and then re-apply or should I send them approval letter that shows approval date and explain what happened?

Thank you,
Irina

You need to correct the issue. I would schedule an InfoPass at your DO and speak to an immigration officer.

Hello !

Thank you,
Irina

Hey cannot believe that you are ready to appply for citizenship!! Time flies by.

You mean that the person's card should have been backdated but was not when the card was issued? You guys should have tried to fix this in the last four years. :)

Now, how much longer does the person have to wait to hit the 5th anniversary of the card? If not too long, just "suck it up" and wait till then. If it is a long time, get in touch with the USCIs and fight this issue.

good luck!!

Hello Gilbert!
Yeh, I finally applied for citizenship. I've been here almost 17 years, can you believe it?
My son's GC wasn't back dated and you are right, I should have fixed it years ago :) I decide to leave it as is, he will be eligible to apply in Oct this year. It might take longer to fix date then just wait three more month.

Thank you for reply, and I hope everything is well with you!

Irina

Thank you all for reply!
I decided to leave it as is. My son's approval letter dated 01/20/2004 and should be backdated to 01/20/2003 . He will re-submit his app in october. I think to correct this might take longer.

Irina .
Will keep you all posted in my 'citizenship journey"

Sister's Citzenship Experience

I will probably add this to the sticky where all have explained their citizenship experience.

My sister got approved for citizenship last week. Basically the officer asked her lots of questions about her asylum. Here are few:

Why did she renew passport?Her answer was that when she got her GC in 2003, they required you to get stamped thats why.

If she went back to her COP. She didn't so her answer was No.

Where are her parents and what do they do professionaly? Are they at COP and if they are..do u have any contact. I was wondering why they asked her that. Any insights on this?

Basically according to her its not a walk in the park for ex asylees. They do ask lot of questions about your original asylum claim according to her.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG I did renew my NP. But I never travelled back though. I cant because if I do i will get arrested. I renewed my NP because I did not want to wait so long for RTD.

Thanks for posting this Want - as it is becoming clearer from all of our interview experiences - that asylees must answer certain questions pertaining to their status.

USCIS will verify whether or not the applicant has forfeited their permanent resident status by breaking asylum rules. One thing some people do not understand on this forum is that you are still an asylee until you get your citizenship - because the permanent residence status was derived from asylum.

I think you need to move this to the sticky - and we should do that for all future citizenship interview experiences.

One thing some people do not understand on this forum is that you are still an asylee until you get your citizenship - because the permanent residence status was derived from asylum.

Yes that is exactly the legal position the Department of Homeland Security has taken. For example, if a person was granted asylum by the USCIS Asylum Office and later got a green card, the Asylum Office still has continuing jurisdiction over that person. This means that the Asylum Officer can terminate that person's asylum grant at any time in accordance with normal regulations regardless of the fact that you have a green card. After they terminate the asylum status they must place you into deportation proceedings as a deportation alien.

So contratry to the belief of some people here, your asylum status is not history once you are a permanent resident. This is the what lawyers at the DHS have concluded. You are of coruse free to challenge that conclusion in a federal court if it ever affects you directly.

I will probably add this to the sticky where all have explained their citizenship experience.

My sister got approved for citizenship last week. Basically the officer asked her lots of questions about her asylum. Here are few:

Why did she renew passport?Her answer was that when she got her GC in 2003, they required you to get stamped thats why.

If she went back to her COP. She didn't so her answer was No.

Where are her parents and what do they do professinaly? Are they at COP and if they are..do u have any contact. I was wondering why they asked her that. Any insights on this?

Basically according to her its not a walk in the park for ex asylees. They do ask lot of questions about your original asylum claim according to her.

Want,

I didn't get what she answered about her NP renewal. Did USCIS required to have your NP stamped if you were a GC holder back in 2003?

Want,

I didn't get what she answered about her NP renewal. Did USCIS required to have your NP stamped if you were a GC holder back in 2003?

Once you got approved for GC in 2003, they asked you to come to local office to get biometrics..it wasn't automatic like now where they send you CODE 3 before they approve your GC. AT that time it was approved and then you go and submitted your bio 3 to be placed on your GC(pic and index fingerprint).

WHen she went there and took her bio for GC, she asked when she will get her GC, they told her few months. She asked how can then she show her status, they told her she can get stamped and asked her to get her NP. She said she has no NP so they told her to renew it. She did for 1 year. Thats what she told the interviewing officer during USC.

Yes that is exactly the legal position the Department of Homeland Security has taken. For example, if a person was granted asylum by the USCIS Asylum Office and later got a green card, the Asylum Office still has continuing jurisdiction over that person. This means that the Asylum Officer can terminate that person's asylum grant at any time in accordance with normal regulations regardless of the fact that you have a green card. After they terminate the asylum status they must place you into deportation proceedings as a deportation alien.

So contratry to the belief of some people here, your asylum status is not history once you are a permanent resident. This is the what lawyers at the DHS have concluded. You are of coruse free to challenge that conclusion in a federal court if it ever affects you directly.

What is normal regulations? and I thought as an LPR they have to challenge in court? They can just wake up one day and place you in removal proceedings? You are saying as an LPR you have no rights?