April 2013 Asylum Applicants

Journalist7- you gave me a scare. I applied on april, sent 2 inquiry letters but didnt get any reply. Its been 6 months. Does this kind of misplacement of letter happen often? I am so worried :(

I don't know but I have heard that many letters get lost. even cases with hundreds of pages get lost.

Don't send letter, go physically, I phoned them before but no one answered, physical appearance is helpful.

They gave me just my inquiry page back, there was hand written that my interview was scheduled on 11th at 8 AM. The guy told me if you don't get notice in mail bring this paper. I told them nor I neither lawyer received notice. So if I receive before interview I will bring notice, but if I don't receive I bring this paper. It sounds wierd but I was not believing my ears when I heard my interview date was set.

Hi Journalist7,
did you sent the inquiry letter by mail before you came to the office?
or
did you bring the inquiry letter with you when you came there yesterday?
is there a special format/form for this inquiry letter?
Thanks

No, I just went to office, there you are given inquiry 1 page document and you fill it and give security guard, who submits to the office. I was called in 30 minutes by officer and explained what I wrote.

Inquiry page is where you write your name, address, home phone and there are reasons why are you there. For example "I want to withdraw my asylum case" don't mark it :D it is next to "I want to schedule my interview"

So I put tick in "I want to schedule my interview"

So tick it and officer will explain I hope will give you precise answer

Remember to check officer inquiry hours, newark office receives applicants only on Friday.

sending letter to inquiry is not good, because as I understand they don't want to asnwer you some precise information in writing back. I guess if you write them letter they will give you abstract answer, but if you go there physically verbally I am sure office employees can tell you more.

That's my experience just from one visit. I cannot prove it is trend. It was in my case and just have impression that going physically is much better then any other inquiry

Thank you journalist7 for the info. You are lucky you made the right decision at the right time. Best of luck for the interview. Was this the fisrt time you inquired?

This is not a very good sign for all of us who have been waiting for our interview invitation letters. I have made 2 written inquiries but received nothing back from the asylum office. What if they misplaced my letter?? I live 4 hours away from the asylum office, so its not easy for me to just drive to inquire about my case. This is so unfair, how they handle those documents... whoever they are...

Waz!

My news:
04/16/2013 I-589 Sent
04/18/2013 I-589 Received
04/25/2013 Biometric Notice
04/26/2013 Biometric Taken
06/07/2013 Visit to AO SF (request for interview day)
10/26/2013 I-765 EAD Sent
10/29/2013 I-765 EAD Received
10/31/2013 I-765 EAD Notice
11/08/2013 Visit to AO SF (request for interview day)

Last edited by a moderator:
My status was updated today.
I remind you that I have sent a Form I-765 10/26/2013.

Today I received Email from USCIS.

6:15 pm
Application Type: I765, APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION
Your Case Status: Card / Document Production

After 4 hours, I got another Email from USCIS.

10:45 pm
Your Case Status: Post Decision Activity

What does this mean? Tell me, please.

My status was updated today.
I remind you that I have sent a Form I-765 10/26/2013.

Today I received Email from USCIS.

6:15 pm
Your Case Status: Card / Document Production

After 4 hours, I got another Email from USCIS.

10:45 pm
Your Case Status: Post Decision Activity

What does this mean? Tell me, please.

Don't worry, everything is good,
the next update should be in about 3 to 4 days,
that is when they give you another email showing that they had shipped the card,
and later after that, there will be another email showing that USPS had picked the card complete with the USPS tracking number,
and soon after you received the card, there will be one last update notifying that they had delivered your card :)

Congratulations :)

I received a third letter to Email from USCIS today.

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION
Your Case Status: Card/ Document Production
On November 19, 2013, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

I received a third letter to Email from USCIS today.

Application Type: I765 , APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION
Your Case Status: Card/ Document Production
On November 19, 2013, we ordered production of your new card. Please allow 30 days for your card to be mailed to you. If we need something from you we will contact you. If you move before you receive the card, call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

Woww... Thats was fast. I believe it has been less than one month? From the time you applied for your EAD to the time it went to production. Congratulations... Did you apply at Arizona? I like the EAD guys, they are far much better and competent than the Asylum guys... I am only crossing my fingers that I get an equally smooth road as you. Congratulations.

Waz!

Anticipate that the interview will be conducted in English and not in your native language. One suggestion is to practice English conversation with a native speaker before the interview. If you are coming to the United States solely to study intensive English, be prepared to explain how English will be useful for you in your home country.

Don't worry, everything is good,
the next update should be in about 3 to 4 days,
that is when they give you another email showing that they had shipped the card,
and later after that, there will be another email showing that USPS had picked the card complete with the USPS tracking number,
and soon after you received the card, there will be one last update notifying that they had delivered your card :)

Congratulations :)

Today I received a sms that my case has been updated , and the same thing just happened to me now , i received another sms and when I checked the website , instead of card production status (which was showing this morning) it changed to post decision , and also I have not received any update about my wife's case but based on our RFE experience which my wife's RFE and notice came 1 day after my case I 'm hopeful to get her case updated by tomorrow.

Now , the question is : Can we start working now and just show this notice to our employer or we have to wait to receive the card? how long it will takes , when should I expect to receive my card? can we work for any company in us with this job permit? can we renew our driving license with DMV ? what is the process for SSN and how long it takes?

Thanks guys

Dear Friends,

I wanted to share the good news, I got my asylum. I wish you all the best luck and fate.
and I am thankful for all of your support in this journey, without you I could not reach here.

Today I received a sms that my case has been updated , and the same thing just happened to me now , i received another sms and when I checked the website , instead of card production status (which was showing this morning) it changed to post decision , and also I have not received any update about my wife's case but based on our RFE experience which my wife's RFE and notice came 1 day after my case I 'm hopeful to get her case updated by tomorrow.

Now , the question is : Can we start working now and just show this notice to our employer or we have to wait to receive the card? how long it will takes , when should I expect to receive my card? can we work for any company in us with this job permit? can we renew our driving license with DMV ? what is the process for SSN and how long it takes?

Thanks guys
You can not work without SSN.
It will take about 1 week to recieve your card. Then 5-7 days to get your SSN. With SSN and EAD you can reniew your driving license, they will give you the temporary first, so you can drive the same day you applied for them.
You can be employed in any place there is no limit, accept some government organizations which require permanent residency or green card or citizenship.

I have good news for you, my friends!
I got the Employment Authorization Card.
I'm going to do in the SSA SSN tomorrow in San Francisco.

My case:
04/16/2013 I-589 Sent
04/18/2013 I-589 Received
04/25/2013 Biometric Notice
04/26/2013 Biometric Taken
06/07/2013 Visit to AO SF (request for interview day)
10/26/2013 I-765 EAD Sent
10/29/2013 I-765 EAD Received
10/31/2013 I-765 EAD Notice
11/08/2013 Visit to AO SF (request for interview day)
11/22/2013 EAD Approved (28 days since USCIS Received I-765)
11/27/2013 EAD Card Received

good news , I got UPS tracking number which means I will get my Card within 2 days , but we have not received any update regarding my wife's status , for her the status is still in review of RFE :(