April 2013 Asylum Applicants

Yes, that happened because applicant told interviewer that I live on this street in this city in that appartment

but if you tell officer that you are homeless and you sleep one night in Brooklyn hostel, another night in subway, another night under the bridge and you use PO box as mailing address interviewer has no right to ban you from interview with this reason. u don"t have bank account and that"s it.

Also if you don't believe call USCIS general line and ask if you can report PO box address as your mailing address. They accept it.

Yes, that happened because applicant told interviewer that I live on this street in this city in that appartment

but if you tell officer that you are homeless and you sleep one night in Brooklyn hostel, another night in subway, another night under the bridge and you use PO box as mailing address interviewer has no right to ban you from interview with this reason. u don"t have bank account and that"s it.

Also if you don't believe call USCIS general line and ask if you can report PO box address as your mailing address. They accept it.

It seems that simple to you and this simple asylum details have landed people in Courts ,Asylum officers always try to find away to have doubts on your case when it goes through reviews which is very possible its always safe to put yours on toes because each case pathway is never the same it may not happen to you but it will or may happen to another person

Last edited by a moderator:
why PO box is good it's not perfect but better than street

because in US mail couriers are depressed frustrated exhausted individuals and around 5% of mail is sometimes lost or misplaced, so when USCIS sends you letter (I am curious why doesn't it use e-mail or cell phone text message to notify you with interview as back up and why only relies old physical mailing style) there is big enough chances that this letter is lost and you miss your interview and you just lose so many time and for just small courier error your life is affected.

regarding PO box the percentage of errors are lower, becauuse mail arrives in the buildin where your PO box is located and courrier doesn't have to carry it door to door in neighborhoods so chances of losing your letter is less.

Also it gives you freedom to live anywhere you want not notifying USCIS every time, only problem it has is if you got USA driver licence, it states your residency and USCIS may double check and find it out, or if you by a chance show them your driver licence it will raise questions. So best is to tell them you are homeless or you live in hostels and pay cash and that you don't have bank account or have account. USCIS doesn't have right to check your bank account without court approval it is violation of privacy.

what I am telling you is legal and in frames of law. Because homeless people also has right to ask for asylum. Discriminating by residency is also type of racism. You don't have home means you are not eligible for asylum? common! also what's wrong with living in hostels and changing residency everyday? also PO box is under your name. Why USCIS want to have your address, because to reach you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Look,
as homeless you sure don't have much money to move from town to town,
most likely you will live under the bridge.
and you got to tell the truth what city that bridge is located.

You can not lie,
well of course if the officer don't caught your lie,
then you are ok,
beside if you are really homeless then it should not be a problem to relocate to the city where
your favorite asylum office is located right...
I am sure there are bridge or shelter in those city too.

of course it is up to you,
I just showing you the risk,
if you think you won't get caught by the asylum officer by claiming you live in one city
where the truth is you live in different city, then it is your own decision...

but I am willing to bet that you are NOT homeless,...
are you homeless?

and if you did apply in different asylum office where you actually live in different office jurisdiction area,
and somehow the officer asked for proof of residency,...
then you will be facing problem :)
how are you going to proof it ?
especially if you already apply for EAD and got a job ?
they might found out about your job and people who got a job most likely are NOT homeless,
then they will be able to check your real address (or asking for your bank account)...
remember most asylum application now are pending past 180 days,
that mean you should have EAD by that time.

so it is best for you to always tell the truth,
or if you want to get better chance,
then move to an area where your favorite asylum office actually have jurisdiction.

in discussion truth is born, so thanks for arguing with me

I am not homeless and you really made me think to notify USCIS with my residency address because it is on my driver licence now.

why PO box is good it's not perfect but better than street

because in US mail couriers are depressed frustrated exhausted individuals and around 5% of mail is sometimes lost or misplaced, so when USCIS sends you letter (I am curious why doesn't it use e-mail or cell phone text message to notify you with interview as back up and why only relies old physical mailing style) there is big enough chances that this letter is lost and you miss your interview and you just lose so many time and for just small courier error your life is affected.

regarding PO box the percentage of errors are lower, becauuse mail arrives in the buildin where your PO box is located and courrier doesn't have to carry it door to door in neighborhoods so chances of losing your letter is less.

Also it gives you freedom to live anywhere you want not notifying USCIS every time, only problem it has is if you got USA driver licence, it states your residency and USCIS may double check and find it out, or if you by a chance show them your driver licence it will raise questions. So best is to tell them you are homeless or you live in hostels and pay cash and that you don't have bank account or have account. USCIS doesn't have right to check your bank account without court approval it is violation of privacy.

what I am telling you is legal and in frames of law. Because homeless people also has right to ask for asylum. Discriminating by residency is also type of racism. You don't have home means you are not eligible for asylum? common! also what's wrong with living in hostels and changing residency everyday? also PO box is under your name. Why USCIS want to have your address, because to reach you.

having PO box as your mailing address is OK !
again there is NO problem of using PO Box.
what is a problem is when you LIE or CHEAT.

opening a PO Box at an area that is not in the are where you spent most of your time living is cheating
because it change the JURISDICTION.
JURISDICTION is important in asylum case, criminal case or every case,...

USCIS don't have the right to check your bank account,
but they can and have the right for you to prove your real residency.

even if you are homeless, you still have to proof to them that you are living in the area where the asylum office had
jurisdiction.

i

in discussion truth is born, so thanks for arguing with me

I am not homeless and you really made me think to notify USCIS with my residency address because it is on my driver licence now.

well, if you are getting close to interview, and if the address on your drive license differ from the jurisdiction area where you going to have interview, then the best thing is to get a friend in the area where you going to be interviewed, and borrow their address and change your driver license address to be in the jurisdiction of the asylum office that going to interview you !

otherwise, your interview will be delayed and moved to other office !

even that, I hope your asylum officer do NOT check/notice the issuing date of your new (after change of address) driver license because then they will realize that when you send your application to USCIS, you lie about your real address at that time...

I am not trying to scare you, but I am trying to make you prepared for every worst case scenario.
I mean this asylum is a matter of life and death for you right ?

Fortunately my driver licence address and my interview office are in the same jurisdiction in Newark office. and I have NJ driver licence, and I live just 3 miles away from Newark office, and Newark office has my PO box address which is on manhattan and actually manhattan is also covered by Newark office despite it is NY.

So one more issue. If I notify USCIS now with my NJ address can officer tell me why I notified them so late if I moved to that address in June? My argument would be: I had 1 month lease contract and I wasn't sure I would have stayed there and that my PO box address which is with them still active and up to date. I will not take driver licence with me on interview.

Fortunately my driver licence address and my interview office are in the same jurisdiction in Newark office. and I have NJ driver licence, and I live just 3 miles away from Newark office, and Newark office has my PO box address which is on manhattan and actually manhattan is also covered by Newark office despite it is NY.

So one more issue. If I notify USCIS now with my NJ address can officer tell me why I notified them so late if I moved to that address in June? My argument would be: I had 1 month lease contract and I wasn't sure I would have stayed there and that my PO box address which is with them still active and up to date. I will not take driver licence with me on interview.

from my personal point of view, you will not have any problem of using your PO Box office since it is still in the jurisdiction of your asylum office. so in this case it is best not to report change of address until after you got interviewed. (if you want to)...
but then again, if I were the asylum officer, I might be interested on why you are forced to used PO box office instead of normal street address... so hmmm
you might want to be prepared with reason for using PO box office though...
I can not advise you on what excuse is the best, but I am confident that you will be able to came up with the best excuse that will make sense when the asylum officer ask you why did you use PO box office...

PO box becasue I have no idea when my money ends and stay homeless and because I am F*** emigrant no one trusts me and I have just 1 month lease contract, I surely have 1 month lease contract which means that I am not sure how many addresses I can have before interview date comes. The truth is really this. My first address was Bronx which is still Newark office :D then I changed USCIS address with PO box (during that I was living on Manhattan), so PO box is on manhattan and it is still administered by Newark and my current physical address and which appears on my driver licence is still covered by Newark.

Anyone who applied in Rosedale NY???????????????

Hi. If you applied, or would apply for asylum on April 2013, join this thread to help each other.
I sent my package on April 17, to Nebraska service center, used usps priority post with track number. My application delivered 20th April, as usps website says. I'm not sure what will be the next; Delivery notice from uscis or finger print date. What about you?
I applied in Rosedale NY and it seems no one from this forum applied there!!!! awwwww... am all by myself.

A friend of mine has applied there and is still waiting after a year and half.fingeprint was done twice and still no interview notice.

none of these arguments helped me to decide which offices give more grants to asylum apps NY or NJ? :)))

It doesn't matter it's all about your luck.be prepared and have a cool AO.i know people who have been granted asylum at both offices.good luck

NY sucks, believe me. NY office is crap, paranoid officers, rude

My friend went there on interview and when officer came into the room he freaked out he pointed to my friend not to touch him, not to shake hand, not to speak loud, officer was dirty nasty rude piece of sh*** My friend was demoralized after interview.

Also they have huge workload and probably you will not receive interview date for at least 2 years.

I filed my I-589 on April 2013 (They received my file on 1st April 2013) , and did my bio metric on 10th April but so far I have not received any update regarding my Application. September 4th they received my I-765 and yet I didn't received bio metrics appointment . is this normal?

in USCIS website based on my case it was showing 3 months for the processing time and now it shows 8.6 months ? how accurate is this estimation? is there anything we can do to expedite the EAD process?

I filed my I-589 on April 2013 (They received my file on 1st April 2013) , and did my bio metric on 10th April but so far I have not received any update regarding my Application. September 4th they received my I-765 and yet I didn't received bio metrics appointment . is this normal?

in USCIS website based on my case it was showing 3 months for the processing time and now it shows 8.6 months ? how accurate is this estimation? is there anything we can do to expedite the EAD process?
There is a very serious backlog in most USCIS service centers most EAD processes takes approximately 30-90 days from the day you submitted your application, if your case is is pending more than 180 days it may take only 1 month for the card to be issued

There is a very serious backlog in most USCIS service centers most EAD processes takes approximately 30-90 days from the day you submitted your application, if your case is is pending more than 180 days it may take only 1 month for the card to be issued

Thanks , but what do you mean if my case is pending more than 180 days? do you mean my Asylum case or my EAD case?