Approved: ND 2/5/03. AC21 RFE case

I agree

I agree with ETA-GC. I have not heard of anyone being deported because of this reason once you have sufficient proof that you have been in USA for a while and have done everything in very legal way.

ETA-GC...well said

I think your argument clearly defines the battle lines.

All these danger of abadonment comes in when the person depends solely on AP to enter.

I want to mention that in my case I have two other fall back options...
1) go for H1 stamping and avoid all these issues.
2) or since I am an Australian citizen enter using visa-waiver opportunity.

It is too hypothetical, I won't be approved in next 48 hours. :D

Alright... so I will try to get in touch with a Congressmen/woman and/or Senator's office. Maybe I can go get my passport stamped on the day I leave for India.

Thanks,
Niti.

Niti Upadhyay said:
Alright... so I will try to get in touch with a Congressmen/woman and/or Senator's office. Maybe I can go get my passport stamped on the day I leave for India.

Thanks,
Niti.

Try to get the passport stamped before leaving US. Remember, onus is on us to prove that we had no intention of abandoning permanent residency when it comes to dealing with POE.

Congratulations! :)

Even if you get your passport stamped before you leave, be aware that many airlines do not recognize the passport stamp and may not let you board an aircraft.

Peeved....so it is catch-22

--shouldn't leave without stamp
--if you manage to get it stamped then airlines won't allow

It shows how complex a simple procedure can become in US immigration world.

When I say this, I am speaking from experience with Canadian and Australian immigration where I could get everything sorted out within 6 months. (Both countries have straight forward human comprehensible procedures).

I-551 stamp and convincing airline is not bad!!!

If you search for I-551 stamp and travel abroad on this forum you would be convinced that it would be easy to get on board. It is not difficult as you think.

How do you get InfoPass appointment in hurry? It almost takes a week to get the appointment. Best of luck. Please update with your experience after coming back to US so that it will useful for others.

I'm going to go to the local office on Thursday and see if I could get in. I just talked to a person at the Senator's office and he said that he will talk to some ppl... but he can't be much help. The best way to do this is walk-in.

Will keep you guys updated.

Thanks,
Niti.

Niti Upadhyay said:
ok.. how am I going to get the appointment and do all that in 2 days?

On top of it, my husband is not in town till the last day. This is going to be tough.

So, if I come in to usa, and they tell me that my gc was approved and I never got a stamp, what would they do? I was wondering.. isn't this almost same as being in India and GC getting approved and coming back?

Thanks,
Niti.

Niti,
They can prove that their system send an e mail but they can never prove that you got an opportunity to check the same, so you were still not aware! I guess acting ignorant may get you through, so don't worry too much if you cannot do much to get the stamp before you leave! Have a good trip. :)

waiting!

Our argument was very similar to yours...they can prove that the mail was sent, but if it is something like Lotus Notes based system they can know if the mail was opened. In SMTP and internet mails can they do that?..who knows they may have the technology for doing silly things but not for approving cases on FIFO.

It is better to get stamped and travel instead of assuming that POE will not find out. Airlines and other country POE's will recognize the I-551 stamp.

I'm going to camp out at the local office tomorrow. But what if I can't get a stamp? I'll have to take the risk.

I haven't heard from the Senator's office yet. I faxed in all the papers to prove that our case is approved and we are travelling to India in couple days.

Niti.

other option ...

postpone your trip by 1 or 2 weeks if no risk to be taken. Only downside is the peak period travel fare.

I don't want to postpone it as its my first trip in 5 yrs.

Anyways, I got an appointment through the Senator's office for tomorrow 10am.

What all forms and documents do I need to bring with me?

Thanks,
Niti.

docs...

I understand why you don't want to postpone. My trip is also after 5 years (like living in a virtual prison) :confused:

Re:Docs.
From what I read from the forum..
passport
all your EADs (past EAD1, 2, 3..etc)
All APs (AP1, Ap2....etc)
SSN card
drivers licence
Approval notice.

taken from the stamping experience at Newark...courtesy of MahatPurush. Adjust and modifiy for Atlanta local office.

Stamping Experience/Tips at 970 Broad Street, Newark, NJ

General Tips:

If you are going without appointment (info-pass) try to reach early, it seems they allow some, limited number. Of people to walk –in , as soon as that number is reached, others are asked to come on other day.
I reached at 8:00 am, was lucky to enter the building without any problems, I would recommend reaching latest by 7:00 am
Read my post on “Info Pass Tips”

Kids are generally not required to have their passports stamped, they should get the “Welcome Letter “
My kid got the Actual Green Card, even before we went for the stamping.

Mentally prepare to be there whole day, take off from work, arrange for baby sitters (if you have kids).

Unless you enter the building, approx. 2 hours wait outside. There is no rest-room facility outside.
TIP – If you really have to go, enter from the main Entrance, where it says “entrance for people with appointments “ you will go through the security – they do not check the appointments at that time, take the elevator to 11th floor (I did that ), show your approval letter to the guard, he will ask you to go to the 3rd floor, request him to allow you to use the restroom!
Same trick can be tried by going to any other floor – but this worked on 11th!

If you have not received the green-card for your kid and need his/her passport stamped, you do not need to take your kid along with you, only his/her passport and approval letter would be sufficient for getting the stamp on his/her passport

What should you carry?

1. Approval letter

2. 2 passport size photographs (full frontal profile), ADIT style are no more accepted
(My letter said “ADIT style photographs)

3. Valid passport

4. Any EADs, or Parole documents you have (My letter did not mention this, however the officer asked for it).

5. Social –security card (If you want to apply for new one after the stamping)

6. Kids passport, Green-card- or approval letter (If you want to apply for Social Security Number for your kid)

7. Light reading material - you cannot do any serious reading in that environment, or PDA Games or anything which fancies you. (You will have lots of time to kill)

8. Some food for survival or be prepared to eat lousy food in the cafeteria. Water bottles.

The Process:

1. Getting there and Parking:

Get the directions, using Yahoo maps /mapquest etc.

(Following is taken from, another members post I forgot his name, thanks to him for excellent TIP on directions and parking)

The address of the place is
970 Broad Street
Newark, NJ 07102
assuming that you are driving. Here's what you should do. If you are on Broad Street coming from RT 1/9 and the Newark airport area, this 970 Broad Street is on the RIGHT HAND side. The place is a Mult-Story building, can't really see any SIGNS!

It's between E.KINNEY ST and WALNUT STREET.

The building is not accessible by CAR. Its part of a federal buildings area, plenty of GOVT buildings around it so you cannot drive up to it.

From Broad Street, make a right on to E. Kinney and then make your first left on to Orchard Street. This is the closest you can get to 970 Broad by CAR. There is a public parking lot on Orchard Street. It will cost you a maximum of $11 there.

Park at this lot. TRUST me it's worth every dollar to be close to you car after the long wait you will endure at 970 Broad.

2. Stand in the Line:

As soon as you reach there, you will find a long line –depending on what time you reach. Find the end of the line and get yourself parked.
The office opens at 8:00 AM and, the guards check the approval letters for all who are standing in the line, their approving nod, just means that you are allowed to stand in the line today. One person in the line informed me that he was sent back after standing in the line for 2 hours last time since they finished the quota of “no. Of people who can enter the building on a particular day “ So keep your fingers crossed.

3. Keep moving
Till you reach the entrance. (It took me 2 hours in the line –from 8:00 AM in the morning) Kill time – by whatever means available to you.

4. The Entry
Guard will give customary warning about not carrying drugs, arms bla ..bla . He will also give you a “Green –color” (Or whatever is the color of day J) piece of paper as entrance pass –preserve that, you will have to show it when you reach the 3rd floor.
You have to go through the metal –detector, once it is your turn to enter.
Empty your pockets, watch, cell phone etc – hand it over to the
Guard and go through the metal-detector.
Collect your belongings and proceed to the elevator. Please note that all elevators do not go to 3rd floor read the signs and get into
“right “ elevator. When you reach 3rd floor, hand over the “green-pass” to the guard, proceed to left side entrance and stand in another line.
Generally this line should be short.
When you are called, you are required to show your approval letter, provide your right-hand index finger print on the Form (given by immigration officer, sign the Form and receive a NUMBER for your next
interface with an immigration officer.

The WAIT:
Now the wait starts –till you see your NUMBER displayed on the LED displays.
Comforting part is, at least you get a seat to watch the hours go by.
Tip – If the place is too full – try the seats on the far right corner – EAD Section.
I waited from 10:30 – 2:30, when my number was called. So Duration of your wait depends on the day/time/luck/which side of the bed you got up etc.
. TIP – you can utilize this time by going to Social Security Office – 10th Floor, Cafeteria – (I forgot the Floor, ask the guard)

Your Turn:
WOW! Finally it is your turn!
Go the counter – hand over the stuff asked of you
The officer checks everything and again asks you to sit, till your number or name is called

Another Wait:
They do your final background check, while you are seated
Waiting anxiously and frustratingly, you will expect this to be shorter, yes it is! But very agonizing! It took 50 minutes for my name to be called.

Finally:
One Officer will attempt to call your name – try to figure out your name in his/her accent (difficult task!) So try to be seated in a nearby seat within an earshot distance from the place where passports are being handed over.
Officer, hands over the duly stamped passport with temporary Green card.
This is your moment of triumph! But you hardly realize it or have the energy to look happy. Relax! You are done!

If you still have some time/energy/willingness left in you, you can visit the Social Security office (10th) floor and apply for New Social Security Card with “ Authorized to work only by INS permission “ (something like this which is written on your social security card) removed and have new card mailed to you. Or you can always go to your nearest Social Security Office and do this formality at a later date.

Hope you enjoyed reading this, and this helps you better prepare for the stamping.

MahatPurush

Online approval notice
Passport with I-94
2 Photos
EAD/AP
Your tickets (in case they ask about stamping without the approval letter)
485 receipt (showing the EAC#)

Everybody,

Thanks for all your suggestions..

Our passport were stamped this morning at the local immigration office. Our appointment was at 10am.. and it was of "Information" type. But, they saw our approval email and gave us the I-89. It took us 10 minutes to get a ticket and less than a minute to be called. We were done before 10am.

Finally, we have a I-551 in our passport for a year. Now, I can travel freely .. starting tomorrow :).

Thanks,
Niti.