Applying for Parents GC after becoming USC - Got questions

Asif2000

Registered Users (C)
My Parents have visited me in the U.S several times in the past. Their last 5-year multiple entry visit visa expired about two years ago. When they applied for the visa again, my mom got the 5 year visa again but my dad was instructed to wait until his name goes thru the name check process. It has been two years now. My mom won't travel alone and obviosuly, she only has three years on her visit visa left now. The funny thing is my dad is 70+ and has visited U.S at least 4 times.

Anyway, I became a USC in August 2007 and I would like apply for my parents' GC now. Here are my questions:

- Does my mom's visit visa become invalid as soon as I apply for her GC?
- Does my dad's NC process (on the visit visa) stop automagically as soon as I apply for his GC?
- Will the family based GC process for my parents go thru the same Name Check process?

Thanks for the help.

Does my mom's visit visa become invalid as soon as I apply for her GC?

No, but it becomes for all intents and purposes useless since she has demonstrated immigrant intent.

Does my dad's NC process (on the visit visa) stop automagically as soon as I apply for his GC?

No.

Will the family based GC process for my parents go thru the same Name Check process?

Absolutely.

Do your parents want to move to the US, or are you merely seeking a way to expedite a visit?

My parents are elderly and don't have a marriage certificate (they married about 50 years ago). Anyone know of a sample affidavit layout to certifiy the marriage? Also, can they write one for themselves or is it supposed to be someone else writing it form them?

Thanks.

My parents are elderly and don't have a marriage certificate (they married about 50 years ago). Anyone know of a sample affidavit layout to certifiy the marriage? Also, can they write one for themselves or is it supposed to be someone else writing it form them?

Thanks.

They are supposed to try to get some document from the authorities first. Did they register their marriage?