Applying for Citizenship before going to INDIA for 3 Months

krishnaGopal

Registered Users (C)
I am planning to Apply for my Citizenship (N400).

I have my India trip planned from March 16th - June 6th.

1. I would like to know is it a good idea to apply and go to India?

or

I should apply after coming back from INDIA?

2. How long does it take to get FP notice after applying N400?

3. What happens if we miss the FP schedule?

4. What happens if we miss the Interview Schedule?

5. How easy is to get it re-scheduled?

6. Will my CASE be delayed?

or

Krishna,

That is a long trip. Looking at your other post, it looks like you would be eligible on January 24th plus 2-3 weeks before you apply. That makes it mid Feb. I dont know where you are applying from, but from my Los Angeles based experience, it will take 3 weeks for NOA once you apply, 2 - 3 weeks from NOA to get FP notice, FP is usually within 10 days from the day you receive the FP notice. I got my IL 3 weeks after FP. ID was 6 weeks after my IL date.

So considering a similar time line for you, you may be missing most of these things while you are in India.

FP rescheduling is not a problem. You have to reschedule and the details on that would be provided in the letter.

If I were you, I would not start the process if I knew that I could not be in US for 3 months. I think one should avoid any rescheduling if possible. But YMMV.

Good luck

I agree with jitin711. Unless you are prepared to fly back and forth for FPs and/or interview, go to India and apply after you come back. Also, make sure that this trip won't break your continuous residence/physical presence requirements.

Jitin & Vorpal. Thanks a BUNCH for responding to my question right away.

I live in Tracy which fall under Stockton/Sacramento area.

How long does the FP re-scheduling take?

What happens if I miss the Interview schedule? Is it easy to re-schedule and how long does it take to re-schedule?

Please advice

How long does

or

they give you FP quick maybe 2 weeks to a month so you shouldnt go to INDIA or you will miss the FP date..obviously if you miss it it will cause a major delay..they might send you another one knowing you are in india you will miss that too then they will close your file.

I vote for waiting too, you have the potential to cause yourself all kinds of grief by applying and then leaving the country for 3 months

Jitin & Vorpal. Thanks a BUNCH for responding to my question right away.

I live in Tracy which fall under Stockton/Sacramento area.

How long does the FP re-scheduling take?

What happens if I miss the Interview schedule? Is it easy to re-schedule and how long does it take to re-schedule?

Please advice

How long does

Krishna,

FP rescheduling may take another two weeks or so if the FP center has some open time slots. Even if you reschedule, you may soon get the IL and trust me - if you want to reschedule your ID, then you are 3-4 months further away from the new ID unless you are lucky. California is one of the biggest states from where immigrants apply for US citizenship...you do the logical math on how long it can take for rescheduling

As I said earlier, come back from India and then apply. That is my suggestion if you def need to visit India during that period

Have you considered post dating application to sometime in mid-May and having someone send it off at that time for you while you are in India?