Applying for B2 visa

oliva

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I went into the embassy webpage to see what requirements they have if you want to obtain a b2 visa and I wonder why they have this requirement:

"INVITATION LETTERS: From family or friends with whom you intend to stay during your trip.
What constitutes an invitation letter? Printed e-mails, original letters, faxes, whatever form your invitation letter was when you were invited to the U.S."

I have enough money to rent my own room or do they think that someone who goes to USA for 6 months as a tourist is going to stay with a friend for the entire stay? Will I not be able to get a b2 visa if I dont have any invitation letters?

They also ask for a bank statement with "sufficient funds to cover the costs of the trip.". How much money do I need to have in my bank account?

any help is highly appreciated.

You do not need invitation letters to qualify for a visit visa. You should have $100 per day for the length of your intended visit.

Will I not be able to get a b2 visa if I dont have any invitation letters?
How much money do I need to have in my bank account?

If that is the requirement of the visa that you want to get. You don't have other choice, just complete the requirements to get that visa. Try to look at the other visa that you can apply with less requirements.

Britain

If that is the requirement of the visa that you want to get. You don't have other choice, just complete the requirements to get that visa. Try to look at the other visa that you can apply with less requirements.

Britain

It is just that the USCIS wants to determine whether you can support yourself during the entire period of your trip in the US that they ask for your bank account proofs. If you have enough funds for that, then that will suffice. And regarding the invitation letter, I don't think that u need to submit one as you are just going on a visit. But its better that you check twice before applying. If at all it is a must, then you can show a mail, letter from your relative or friend whom you are planning to visit.

All NIV's (non immigrant visas) are self sponsored and a mere presence or absence of a letter is not a deciding factor.
You not only have to show funds available for your visit but a lot much more to prove "Ties" to your home country.
That could be tangible or intangible property, family ties such as your wife, kids and so on that are not going with you, guaranteeing your return back home. US laws are unique and complicated, whereas a lot of weight is placed on the invitation and support letters to obtain visit visas for most european countries.
Those "Ties" are the deciding factors for a US NIV approval.

Thank you guys for your help. I realize after looking into this that I should not apply for a B visa since I have no ties at all to my home country. I will most probably be denied the B-visa and if you get denied Ive read that they withdraw your chance of going using the visa waiver program. That means I will never ever be able to return to usa! I dont know why they have that rule, but considering the chance of getting a B-visa it can't be worth to gamble if I will lose my chance of going on the visa waiver program.

I wanted to go on the B-visa because if I go on the visa waiver program I will only be able to stay 3 months.
I have enough funds and can get an invitation letter as well, but I think it doesn't matter since I have no ties to my home country.

3 months is plenty of time to see the US. What exactly is your intended length of stay and purpose of visit?

I dont think 3 months is a long enough vacation for me. I like usa and I would rather be away for 6 months if I was allowed to do so.

It is just that the USCIS wants to determine whether you can support yourself during the entire period of your trip in the US that they ask for your bank account proofs. If you have enough funds for that, then that will suffice. And regarding the invitation letter, I don't think that u need to submit one as you are just going on a visit. But its better that you check twice before applying. If at all it is a must, then you can show a mail, letter from your relative or friend whom you are planning to visit.

This particular situation does not involve USCIS at all. The Department of State (DOS) handles this request abroad.

To olivia: Is the visa waiver an option? What country are you from?