apply new TN with the current TN in hold

julysky

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guy,

Does anyone have the situation which I am currently facing? I am a Canadian and currently holding TN working in Company A and I just got a new job offer from company B. So do I have to drop the current TN from Company A before I apply for the new TN from company B? I am just concerned that if there anything happens that I can not get the new TN, it will be soo risky that I drop the current TN when I get into Canada.

Any information would be great help.

Thanks

It is normal to have 2 TNs for a brief period. You apply for second TN, making sure that your initial TN I--94 is kept by you so you can continue to work at Firm A. In fact, if you can swing it, you can work at both TN jobs, or even multiple TNs.

No problem doing this.

I have very similar question, currently i am working with TN visa as a dentist in clinic A ( four days a week )and i have got a job offer from clinc B to work part time ( 2 days a week).my questions are:

1) Can i apply for the second TN and still work with my first TN? (hold both TN)
2) For applying the second TN ,do i have to go to the border or i can do it via the mail from inside the USA?
3) If by any chance my second TN gets rejected ,will it effects my first TN or i can still remain in USA and work with my first TN visa?

I appreciate and thank you in advance for any tips and input.

Thanks.
So that means I can go ahead to the border and apply for the new TN and keep the current TN. Another question, after I quit the current job, do I need to go back to the boarder to drop the current TN?

Hi:
I am having similar suitation currently working on Company A and I am getting another job from Compnay B;
my questions is how to make sure my 1st TN is On hold before I going to apply for the second one.

Thanks

You can have multiple employers.

Found at: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/tex...div8&view=text&node=8:1.0.1.2.18.0.1.6&idno=8

Title 8: Aliens and Nationality
PART 214—NONIMMIGRANT CLASSES

§ 214.6 Citizens of Canada or Mexico seeking temporary entry under NAFTA to engage in business activities at a professional level.

(i) Request for change or addition of United States employers —

(1) Filing at the service center. A citizen of Canada or Mexico admitted into the United States as a TN nonimmigrant who seeks to change or add a United States employer during the period of admission must have the new employer file a Form I–129 with appropriate supporting documentation, including a letter from the new employer describing the services to be performed, the time needed to render such services, and the terms of remuneration for services. Employment with a different or with an additional employer is not authorized prior to Department approval of the request.

(2) Readmission at the border. Nothing in paragraph (i)(1) of those section precludes a citizen of Canada or Mexico from applying for readmission to the United States for the purpose of presenting documentation from a different or additional United States or foreign employer. Such documentation shall meet the requirements prescribed in paragraph (d) of this section. The fee prescribed under 8 CFR 103.7(b)(1) shall be remitted by Canadian citizens upon admission to the United States pursuant to the terms and conditions of the NAFTA. Citizens of Mexico may present documentation from a different or additional United States or foreign employer to a consular officer as evidence in support of a new nonimmigrant TN visa application.

(3) No action shall be required on the part of a citizen of Canada or Mexico in TN status who is transferred to another location by the same United States employer to perform the same services. Such an acceptable transfer would be to a branch or office of the employer. In a case of a transfer to a separately incorporated subsidiary or affiliate, the requirements of paragraphs (i)(1) and (i)(2) of this section will apply.

Hi BigJoe5:
Thanks for the fast respond; I am thinking of going for option 2) do I just need to bring my new employment document for apply the new TN at the border? while having my old TN-visa still attached to my passprot. I am worry about the officer at the border will want to take away the old one. Since I am not ready to leave my job in Company A until I have the TN-visa for company B, both job is a full time.

Thanks for the help.

Hi BigJoe5:
Thanks for the fast respond; I am thinking of going for option 2) do I just need to bring my new employment document for apply the new TN at the border? while having my old TN-visa still attached to my passprot. I am worry about the officer at the border will want to take away the old one. Since I am not ready to leave my job in Company A until I have the TN-visa for company B, both job is a full time.

Thanks for the help.

If you are truely worried print out the relevant regulations and statutes or at least have the citations so the CBP Officer can check them. You have to go to a designated Class A Port of Entry, international airport or pre-flight inspection to process TN and do you really think they won't know about this? It may be news to you but not them.

Go to the USCIS TN page for application instructions. They cover consular, CBP port, and USCIS Service Center procedures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to the USCIS TN page for application instructions. They cover consular, CBP port, and USCIS Service Center procedures.