Applied for EAD after 150 days. How long does will take?

Looks like the current trend for (INITIAL) EAD to be approved is between 45 days to 60 days after they received/processed your EAD application.
or around 6 to 8 weeks from the Monday they announced/received/processed your application.
This is everything went right (no request for more evidence)
and hopefully the recent 16 days of Government shutdown do not slow down the process.

Pending EAD

Looks like the current trend for (INITIAL) EAD to be approved is between 45 days to 60 days after they received/processed your EAD application.
or around 6 to 8 weeks from the Monday they announced/received/processed your application.
This is everything went right (no request for more evidence)
and hopefully the recent 16 days of Government shutdown do not slow down the process.

I filed my I-589 on April 2013 (They received my file on 1st April 2013) , and did my bio metric on 10th April but so far I have not received any update regarding my Application. September 4th they received my I-765 and yet I didn't received bio metrics appointment . is this normal?

in USCIS website based on my case it was showing 3 months for the processing time and now it shows 8.6 months ? how accurate is this estimation? is there anything we can do to expedite the EAD process?

I filed my I-589 on April 2013 (They received my file on 1st April 2013) , and did my bio metric on 10th April but so far I have not received any update regarding my Application. September 4th they received my I-765 and yet I didn't received bio metrics appointment . is this normal?

in USCIS website based on my case it was showing 3 months for the processing time and now it shows 8.6 months ? how accurate is this estimation? is there anything we can do to expedite the EAD process?

Can you post the website link where it show 8.6months ?

you don't have to do biometric again for your EAD
since you had done your biometric recently (April 2013).
That is why you do not received any biometric appointment for this EAD.
You only need to do Biometric again if the last biometric you did was more than a year (I forgot the exact time length,
but if I am not mistaken is 15 months)...

For people who know the exact limit of biometric expiration please post it here...

processing times

You only need to do Biometric again if the last biometric you did was more than a year (I forgot the exact time length,

For people who know the exact limit of biometric expiration please post it here...

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/ProcTimes.do
Select a form type (I-765)
Select a form sub-type (Base on a pending asylum application.....)
Select an office (California Service Center)

"Thanks to Linuxbest" the address can be find below:

-------------------------------------------------------------

This is confusing because I called the 800 number and asked them about my biometric , they said even though I did my biometric for my asylum case less than a year ago I should wait to receive appointment for another biometric. they provided me with a number and said if I didn't receive my appointment within the next 15 days I have to call and do the followup again with this number.

But the main question is , how long usually it takes for me to get my EAD ? if it is 90 days from the day they received my application then why it shows 8.6 months in their website? this is so scary because I really need to get my job permit since it's been already 9 months since I m in US and living on my saving.

Also another question guys , can we get SSN (Social security number) once we got our EAD issued even before our asylum interview? SSN is so useful since we cant do many things without it and since I m on the pending Asylum status I dont have SSN, is there an alternative solution for the SSN?

Last but not least , it has been more than 7 months I filed my asylum application , at the beginning I thought it will takes 6 months but now I have not received any update , any guess when I may get my interview appointment? is there a way to expedite the process?

This is confusing because I called the 800 number and asked them about my biometric , they said even though I did my biometric for my asylum case less than a year ago I should wait to receive appointment for another biometric. they provided me with a number and said if I didn't receive my appointment within the next 15 days I have to call and do the followup again with this number.

But the main question is , how long usually it takes for me to get my EAD ? if it is 90 days from the day they received my application then why it shows 8.6 months in their website? this is so scary because I really need to get my job permit since it's been already 9 months since I m in US and living on my saving.

Also another question guys , can we get SSN (Social security number) once we got our EAD issued even before our asylum interview? SSN is so useful since we cant do many things without it and since I m on the pending Asylum status I dont have SSN, is there an alternative solution for the SSN?

Last but not least , it has been more than 7 months I filed my asylum application , at the beginning I thought it will takes 6 months but now I have not received any update , any guess when I may get my interview appointment? is there a way to expedite the process?

when I click the website link above it goes to "internal server error" page...
but there is another website:
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processingTimesDisplay.do

and on this one it show that since the last table were made on August 31'2013, the last EAD application they processed for pending asylum were on July 2'2013.
and this page were last updated just few days ago on October 16'2013.
(just read the "instruction on using the table" for you to understand what they mean)...

so based on the dates above, it took them in average of 60days to process EAD application based on pending asylum.
(August 31 minus July 2).

when you say you read about the 8.6 months, well, I think it is just an error,
beside the website link that show that is indeed having an error now.

edit: this is the working link:
https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do
but you got to choose your center first, then you can go to the table for your chosen center.

and on this California center table
it show that since the last table were made on August 31'2013,
the last EAD application they processed for pending asylum were on July 2'2013.
(just read the "instruction on using the table" for you to understand what they mean)...

so based on the dates above, it took them in average of 60days to process EAD application based on pending asylum.

since your application for EAD was received on Sept 4'2013, 60 days from it should be around November 4'2013 or less than 2 weeks from today. Hopefully you will received your EAD before 60 days though.

and you can get/apply for SSN once you had your EAD. no need to wait until asylum interview.
the only alternative for SSN is TIN or Tax Identification Number but your asylum pending status will not allow you to apply for this,
unless you have TIN because for other reason (as far as I know, like you invest or open a business in US)...
better to get SSN though... just give it more time...

and there is NO way for you to personally expedite the asylum process.

oh, one last thing those customer service sometimes give you wrong advice, so don't rely too much with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
fifircywas

and on this one it show that since the last table were made on August 31'2013, the last EAD application they processed for pending asylum were on July 2'2013.

Thanks for your reply , I couldn't open the link you have provided , so still i m confuse how long this will takes , suppose they received my application on September 5th , how long I need to wait? do I need to expect biometric?

by the way , are sure I can apply for SSN once I got my EAD? because in my last infopass the guy in USCIS told me I need to get my asylum approved !!!

god bless you for your help, your responds are really encouraging .

Thanks for your reply , I couldn't open the link you have provided , so still i m confuse how long this will takes , suppose they received my application on September 5th , how long I need to wait? do I need to expect biometric?

god bless you for your help.

oh, I post a direct link to California center and apparently they don't allow you to go directly there,
so use this link and choose the center:

also, I had edited my PREVIOUS post and it contain other answer for your questions.
but let me just copy and paste it below:

since your application for EAD was received on Sept 4'2013, 60 days from it should be around November 4'2013 or less than 2 weeks from today. Hopefully you will received your EAD before 60 days though.

and you can get/apply for SSN once you had your EAD. no need to wait until asylum interview.
the only alternative for SSN is TIN or Tax Identification Number but your asylum pending status will not allow you to apply for this,
unless you have TIN because for other reason (as far as I know, like you invest or open a business in US)...
better to get SSN though... just give it more time...

and there is NO way for you to personally expedite the asylum process.

oh, one last thing those customer service sometimes give you wrong advice, so don't rely too much with them.
I am 99.99999% sure you will not need to take another biometrics,
just read the instruction from USCIS, no mention of having to take biometrics (of course unless you had pass more than a year),
and if you read the entire thread from page 1, you will see no people here need to take second biometrics for initial EAD.

oh, I post a direct link to California center and apparently they don't allow you to go directly there,
so use this link and choose the center:

also, I had edited my previous post and it contain other answer for your questions.

Thanks a lot , really appreciate it . I ll go through the table and will let you know if I have any question.

By the way , may I know when did you file your asylum application? did you receive your interview? your EAD?

Thanks a lot , really appreciate it . I ll go through the table and will let you know if I have any question.

By the way , may I know when did you file your asylum application? did you receive your interview? your EAD?

you can read/find all the date related to my application below each post of mine (my signature),
if you can't see it, go to your profile setting and turn on the "show signature".
:)
but to make it short, I file my asylum about 2 weeks after you, so I file my EAD also around 2 weeks after you,
and still waiting for both interview and EAD.

you can read/find all the date related to my application below each post of mine (my signature),
if you can't see it, go to your profile setting and turn on the "show signature".
but to make it short, I file my asylum about 2 weeks after you, so I file my EAD also around 2 weeks after you,
and still waiting for both interview and EAD.

Thanks for sharing your info , I've gone trough the chart and you are right based on that table it should takes 60 days but I m worry for the last 2 weeks of government shutdown affects on our processing time however USCIS customer service told me the government shutdown was not affecting them.

Did you received your biometric? do we get an appointment or since the took our fingerprint 7 months ago taking it again is unnecessary?

May i know what type of Asylum you have applied? (I mean it is based on political or religious or etc) please feel free to not to answer this question but your respond can be very useful.

Thanks for sharing your info , I've gone trough the chart and you are right based on that table it should takes 60 days but I m worry for the last 2 weeks of government shutdown affects on our processing time however USCIS customer service told me the government shutdown was not affecting them.

Did you received your biometric? do we get an appointment or since the took our fingerprint 7 months ago taking it again is unnecessary?

May i know what type of Asylum you have applied? (I mean it is based on political or religious or etc) please feel free to not to answer this question but your respond can be very useful.

as I had said several time on my previous posts above,
you do NOT have to take biometric again
and will NOT get any biometric invitation for your initial EAD because your biometric (like your face etc.) most likely still look the same as 7 months ago.
Just like you,
I had my biometric taken few weeks after USCIS received my ASYLUM application. (not EAD application).

as I had said several time on my previous posts above,
you do NOT have to take biometric again
and will NOT get any biometric invitation for your initial EAD because your biometric (like your face etc.) most likely still look the same as 7 months ago.
Just like you,
I had my biometric taken few weeks after USCIS received my ASYLUM application. (not EAD application).

Well what you say about biometric is completely make sense and is logical however I called the 800 number today about processing time and biometric , they said even if you had your biometric taken still it based on the office decision and they may ask you for another biometric.

Anyway finger print is not what I m worry about it , processing time is what I m talking about . I told them (800 number) that in your website there is a section showing 8.6 months and again there is a chart that shows the last case was processed in California service center was on July 2, 2013 , and according to this my EAD case should take almost 2 or max 3 months .

Here is their respond " we dont know about the web site but your case may take 4 to 5 months from the day we have received your application"

!!!! now this is really confusing and frustrating .

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/CaseStatus.do
In Processing TImes,

Select an office (California Service Center

Your will see 8.6 month.

Yes,
with this latest website link that you just provided,
I can see those Bar Graph,
but I am very confident that the LABELING on the Bar Graph was MISTYPE (Error/incorrect),

just check using Nebraska or Texas or Vermont Service center instead,
The Bar Graph will show this parameter:
USCIS National Goal = 3 weeks,
USCIS National Average = 3 weeks,
then at the bottom Bar Graph it will show that the Nebraska/Texas/Vermont Service Center Average = 3 months,
but notice that the LENGTH of the BAR, between the national goal, national average and the Texas/Nebraska/Vermont bar,
do you notice that all 3 Bar length is exactly the same length ? :)

so that BAR Graph is NOT Accurate :)

it should said (labelled) WEEKS and NOT MONTHS on the lowest bar (Nebraska/Texas/Vermont) :)

Now if you check the California Center Bar Graph,
and measure the length of that bar with a ruler,
the 8.6 months bar will be around 3 times the length of the 3 weeks bar,
which can only mean the LABEL on the graph should be WEEKS and not MONTHS...

On my monitor the National Average and National Goal bar were about 5cm in length,
while the California center bar length were around 14.2cm in length :)
just measure the bar length yourself using the ruler :)

if those 8.6 months are true then the length of the 8.6 month BAR
should be more than 12 times the length of the 3 weeks bar,
since 8.6 months is more than 36 weeks :)hahaha
which mean those 8.6months were NOT true and the true number is 8.6 weeks.

Look if Obamacare website can have so much problem,
a little MISLABELING on this USCIS website is "normal".
We just had to think using logic and also from the experience of other member here.
So far MOST people (even the one apply at Anaheim/California office) got their EAD at maximum 60 days from the day they applied. notice I said "MOST" but not all. but as the bar graph said, it is an AVERAGE and that is why "MOST", cause MOST = AVERAGE

and 8.6 weeks is 60.2 days

Yes,
with this latest website link that you just provided,
I can see those Bar Graph,
but I am very confident that the LABELING on the Bar Graph was MISTYPE (Error/incorrect),

just check using Nebraska or Texas or Vermont Service center instead,
The Bar Graph will show this parameter:
USCIS National Goal = 3 weeks,
USCIS National Average = 3 weeks,
then at the bottom Bar Graph it will show that the Nebraska/Texas/Vermont Service Center Average = 3 months,
but notice that the LENGTH of the BAR, between the national goal, national average and the Texas/Nebraska/Vermont bar,
do you notice that all 3 Bar length is exactly the same length ? :)

so that BAR Graph is NOT Accurate :)

it should said (labelled) WEEKS and NOT MONTHS on the lowest bar (Nebraska/Texas/Vermont) :)

Now if you check the California Center Bar Graph,
and measure the length of that bar with a ruler,
the 8.6 months bar will be around 3 times the length of the 3 weeks bar,
which can only mean the LABEL on the graph should be WEEKS and not MONTHS...

On my monitor the National Average and National Goal bar were about 5cm in length,
while the California center bar length were around 14.2cm in length :)
just measure the bar length yourself using the ruler :)

if those 8.6 months are true then the length of the 8.6 month BAR
should be more than 12 times the length of the 3 weeks bar,
since 8.6 months is more than 36 weeks :)hahaha
which mean those 8.6months were NOT true and the true number is 8.6 weeks.

Look if Obamacare website can have so much problem,
a little MISLABELING on this USCIS website is "normal".
We just had to think using logic and also from the experience of other member here.
So far MOST people (even the one apply at Anaheim/California office) got their EAD at maximum 60 days from the day they applied. notice I said "MOST" but not all. but as the bar graph said, it is an AVERAGE and that is why "MOST", cause MOST = AVERAGE

and 8.6 weeks is 60.2 days

Thanks a lot I really hope things just going on like what you said , I called them yesterday they are not clearly answering and she said it may takes 5 to 6 months for my EAD document to be processed from the day I applied :(

and today I received a letter from them which I don know what is it , It sounds to me is just a notification they send because I made a service request.

but in the letter it said " you have completed biometric capture on September 20 (this is day I called them) !!!!!" I dont know what does this mean ????

Thanks a lot I really hope things just going on like what you said , I called them yesterday they are not clearly answering and she said it may takes 5 to 6 months for my EAD document to be processed from the day I applied :(

and today I received a letter from them which I don know what is it , It sounds to me is just a notification they send because I made a service request.

but in the letter it said " you have completed biometric capture on September 20 (this is day I called them) !!!!!" I dont know what does this mean ????

If you read this thread from the beginning or the other recent thread titled "April 2013 asylum applicant" from the beginning,
you will find out and understand that those customer service are NOT that knowledgeable enough...
as you had experience yourself, their answer is NOT clear and from what other had experience,
those customer service OFTEN give the wrong information to us.
If you don't believe me, try to call them at different days, and with different customer service answering your call,
then you can see that OFTEN different customer service give you Totally different information !

Now according to the official guidance,
the INITIAL EAD for pending asylum are PRIORITIES and the target processing time were only 30 days,
but as you know since there are way too many Initial EAD application, those target were not reached and they had became around 60 days on average based on the story here.

if you are renewing your EAD then it would take longer up to 3 months.

Yes, sometimes error happened and it could stretch to 4 to 5 months but this is very very rare case,...
and those customer service should not say it is going to be 4 to 5 months cause this is NOT the norm but the exception.

regarding the letter saying you had taken your biometric at Sept 20...
well any person who wrote that letter might wrote the date wrong,
but as I had told you many times,
if your biometric were taken less than 15 months ago,
you should not need to take another biometric, so that is what those letter basically mean.
don't worry anymore about having to take another biometric, ok...

the customer service said the office might ask you to take biometric again for your initial EAD,
this is true if and only if you apply your initial EAD 15 months or more after your last biometric...
but most likely a person with pending asylum application will NOT wait until 15 months before they apply for their initial EAD right?
I mean most people with pending asylum application like us, will surely try to apply as soon as possible after 150 days :)
so those customer service do NOT truly paying attention to your situation and timeline...
cause if they did, then they would had told you that since you just take your biometric few months ago, (less than 15 months)
there is NO WAY the asylum office would require you to do another biometric.

oh, but if you are going to RENEW your EAD about 1 year from now, and your asylum application is still pending,
then you will be asked to do another biometric again since it had passed 15 months since the last biometeric.

Having said all the above,
I think there is a big chance that this next Monday (October 28'2013),
you might get your EAD approved (check your status on the website)...
if not then the latest should be around November 4 (Monday 2 weeks from now)...

If you did get your EAD,
please kindly inform us so we know that you had received your EAD
and we can have another data on how long did it take to received your EAD.

Good Luck to You :)

If you read this thread from the beginning or the other recent thread titled "April 2013 asylum applicant" from the beginning,
you will find out and understand that those customer service are NOT that knowledgeable enough...
as you had experience yourself, their answer is NOT clear and from what other had experience,
those customer service OFTEN give the wrong information to us.
If you don't believe me, try to call them at different days, and with different customer service answering your call,
then you can see that OFTEN different customer service give you Totally different information !

Now according to the official guidance,
the INITIAL EAD for pending asylum are PRIORITIES and the target processing time were only 30 days,
but as you know since there are way too many Initial EAD application, those target were not reached and they had became around 60 days on average based on the story here.

if you are renewing your EAD then it would take longer up to 3 months.

Yes, sometimes error happened and it could stretch to 4 to 5 months but this is very very rare case,...
and those customer service should not say it is going to be 4 to 5 months cause this is NOT the norm but the exception.

regarding the letter saying you had taken your biometric at Sept 20...
well any person who wrote that letter might wrote the date wrong,
but as I had told you many times,
if your biometric were taken less than 15 months ago,
you should not need to take another biometric, so that is what those letter basically mean.
don't worry anymore about having to take another biometric, ok...

the customer service said the office might ask you to take biometric again for your initial EAD,
this is true if and only if you apply your initial EAD 15 months or more after your last biometric...
but most likely a person with pending asylum application will NOT wait until 15 months before they apply for their initial EAD right?
I mean most people with pending asylum application like us, will surely try to apply as soon as possible after 150 days :)
so those customer service do NOT truly paying attention to your situation and timeline...
cause if they did, then they would had told you that since you just take your biometric few months ago, (less than 15 months)
there is NO WAY the asylum office would require you to do another biometric.

oh, but if you are going to RENEW your EAD about 1 year from now, and your asylum application is still pending,
then you will be asked to do another biometric again since it had passed 15 months since the last biometeric.

Having said all the above,
I think there is a big chance that this next Monday (October 28'2013),
you might get your EAD approved (check your status on the website)...
if not then the latest should be around November 4 (Monday 2 weeks from now)...

If you did get your EAD,
please kindly inform us so we know that you had received your EAD
and we can have another data on how long did it take to received your EAD.

Good Luck to You :)

Thanks MWDW , your responds are really encouraging , I think waiting too much and stress is leading me to become crazy .

I really hope things just happen to me and all of us as what you said .

Anyway every day I get surprise by USCIS , I applied for my EAD along with my wife so we have 2 separate cases , at the day I called USCIS and made a service request regarding of non delivery of my fingerprint appointment (which I m not worry about biometric anymore but I was and that's why I called them at that time) they gave me 2 tracking number . this was around 17th Oct , 3 days ago I received a mail in my post box only about my case which I told you guys about it (when they said you captured your fingerprint 25th sep !!!) but I didnt receive any mail regarding my wife's case , and today I received an Email !! regarding my wife's case (I didnt receive Email about my own case) that was somehow same as the letter I received in my mail box , but in this one it said "Your case is currently being adjudicated. You should receive a notice of action* within 30 days , A notice of action may be in a form of Approval Notice, Denial Notice, Transfer Notice, Request for Evidence, Notice of Intent to Deny or Notice of Intent to Revoke" !!!

Now what does this mean? and when it says within 30 days , is this 30 days begins from today which I received this Email ? or from the day I made a service request? I totally confused , why they didnt send such email regarding my case too? why we received 2 different mail?

Last but not least , in what circumstance they may deny your EAD?

I m really scared , I have an attorney for my asylum but because I applied for my EAD (since he asked for $500 just to apply for our EAD) he is now not answering any of my questions regarding my EAD process. :(