Applied for EAD after 150 days. How long does will take?

Mr. Bird

Registered Users (C)
Applied for EAD after 150 days. How long does it take?

I applied for my EAD after my case has been pending for 153 days now. How long will i have to wait to get my EAD? Pls share ideas and experiences. I wanted to ask How long does it take? sorry for the error on the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am assuming its an initial EAD,it ll probably take 5 weeks, but they might hold it to see if you get approved or denied in the meantime.

3 weeks to 3 months. Keep in mind that the clock has to be 180 days before issuing EAD(c08)(i).

In other words, you wait 150 days to apply and then USCIS has to add an additional 30 days after the clock reaches 150 days. I hope my answer helps.

Thank you guys for your valued responses. It is an initial EAD. What are the situations in which they can deny me?

Thank you guys for your valued responses. It is an initial EAD. What are the situations in which they can deny me?

Your EAD(c08) will not be denied if you meet any of the following situations:
1. Decision is still pending
2. You get a recommended approval
3. You are referred to EOIR (court)
4. Your fingerprints and IBIS are clear

Your EAD(c08) will be denied if you meet any of the following situations:
1. You get a final approval for your asylum application. In this case your request for EAD (c08) will be denied because USCIS will send you EAD(A05)
2. Your asylum application is denied and gets closed before the clock reach the 180th day and you are still in a valid status.
3. Your fingerprints and IBIS have a negative results.

Your EAD(c08) will not be denied if you meet any of the following situations:
1. Decision is still pending
2. You get a recommended approval
3. You are referred to EOIR (court)
4. Your fingerprints and IBIS are clear

Your EAD(c08) will be denied if you meet any of the following situations:
1. You get a final approval for your asylum application. In this case your request for EAD (c08) will be denied because USCIS will send you EAD(A05)
2. Your asylum application is denied and gets closed before the clock reach the 180th day and you are still in a valid status.
3. Your fingerprints and IBIS have a negative results.

Thank you asylum, at least i now have an idea what to expect. Let me ask you, in that form, there is a question asking " What is your current immigration status?" In my case, i entered on a J1 Exchange visitor Visa but it expired one week after my asylum application. What should my current immigration status be? ?

Thank you asylum, at least i now have an idea what to expect. Let me ask you, in that form, there is a question asking " What is your current immigration status?" In my case, i entered on a J1 Exchange visitor Visa but it expired one week after my asylum application. What should my current immigration status be? ?

Your current immigration status is pending asylum or pending I-589 not J1. I don't think that this small mistake will cause a problem.

Hi Guys!
This week I will be submitting the i-785 after the 150 days pending desicion, and have a couple of questions for the ones who already applied:
1. I'm reading in the instructions and I think that I can E-file my EAD application, is that right?
2. Which way is easier/safer, paper mail or e-file?
3. Which date is the one that USCIS considers .... the date you mail the application, or the date they receive it?? I know that if you mail it before 150 days they will deny it. So I want to be sure which date exactly I have to send it.
4. Which documents should be attached to the for i-765? I'm sending the "asylum interview notice" as a proof that my case is still pending, but not sure if I have to send passport photos, I94's, copy of passports...etc etc.

I would appreciate your comments....
Thanks!!

hello again!
I carefully read all the instructions for the i-765, and now I'm sure that I have to send I94, proof of identity, etc....
At the same time I read a paragraph regarding to "Interim EAD", and clearly says that if you dont receive your EAD after 30 days of properly filed application, you can obtain a interim work authorizationby going in person to the local USCIS. That's extremely good news for me! I heard that it could take 2 weeks to 4 month to receive the EAD, but a interim work authorization valid for 245 dias would help a lot!! I feel a lot better!!

Hi Guys!
This week I will be submitting the i-785 after the 150 days pending desicion, and have a couple of questions for the ones who already applied:
1. I'm reading in the instructions and I think that I can E-file my EAD application, is that right?
2. Which way is easier/safer, paper mail or e-file?
3. Which date is the one that USCIS considers .... the date you mail the application, or the date they receive it?? I know that if you mail it before 150 days they will deny it. So I want to be sure which date exactly I have to send it.
4. Which documents should be attached to the for i-765? I'm sending the "asylum interview notice" as a proof that my case is still pending, but not sure if I have to send passport photos, I94's, copy of passports...etc etc.

I would appreciate your comments....
Thanks!!

Do the e-file. It is quicker.

Do the e-file. It is quicker.

Can't Efile with C08 category. Paper filing is the best though. Just attach your biometrics notice from your asylum case and that'll work. Attach two passport size photos and you are good to go. I dont think you need to send a copy of i94 or passport, just send in the Interview's notice or the if in the Immigration court, send the judge's hearing notice.

hello again!
I carefully read all the instructions for the i-765, and now I'm sure that I have to send I94, proof of identity, etc....
At the same time I read a paragraph regarding to "Interim EAD", and clearly says that if you dont receive your EAD after 30 days of properly filed application, you can obtain a interim work authorizationby going in person to the local USCIS. That's extremely good news for me! I heard that it could take 2 weeks to 4 month to receive the EAD, but a interim work authorization valid for 245 dias would help a lot!! I feel a lot better!!

Hi Ladylee, the instruction form i got from the uscis web site only says: FILE THE I-765 WITH:

A copy of the acknowledgment mailer which was mailed to you, OR

Other evidence that your I-589 was filed with USCIS OR

Evidence that your i-589 was filed with an immigration judge at the executive office for immigration review (EOIR) OR

Evidence that your asylum application remains under administrative judicial review

So, me i chose to mail it with the copy of the receipt notice that i got when i first sent my i-589. I am waiting and will keep you posted on any new developments. It's been a week now and am waiting for receipt notice anytime this week.

make sure you use the current instructions and application form due to expire on 9/30/11

They don't issue interim EAD anymore. If you don't receive your EAD after 30 days, then you can go to the local USCIS and the information officer will simply send an email to the service center. Once again, they stopped issuing an interim EAD.

In regards to what evidence you submit when filing for your EAD(C08)(i), a copy of receipt notice, biometrics notice, and interview notice will be good enough to prove the 150 days clock.

I highly recommend that you go to the asylum office in person to to tell them that you have not received the asylum decision. You mentioned in previous posts that they told you the decision has been made.
If your asylum application is already approved, you will automatically receive EAD(A05) valid for 2 years.

Thanks for your response Assylum,
I was so happy for the "interim EAD"..... :(
It was to good to be true......

I went to the asylum office yesterday, and told them it was about a month ago that I received information that desicion was made and that still I havent receive any response. Now, they said that yes, desicion has been made, but the AO still needs to present it to the supervisor. They told me to wait to receive desicion before mailing the EAD application, since they think I most likely receive it soon. But, Im thinking to play safe and mail the application as soon as possible, because a month ago they also said the desicion will be in the mail soon, and Im still waiting......
I don t think it could hurt to send it...
thanks again for your advise.....

They don't issue interim EAD anymore. If you don't receive your EAD after 30 days, then you can go to the local USCIS and the information officer will simply send an email to the service center. Once again, they stopped issuing an interim EAD.

In regards to what evidence you submit when filing for your EAD(C08)(i), a copy of receipt notice, biometrics notice, and interview notice will be good enough to prove the 150 days clock.

I highly recommend that you go to the asylum office in person to to tell them that you have not received the asylum decision. You mentioned in previous posts that they told you the decision has been made.
If your asylum application is already approved, you will automatically receive EAD(A05) valid for 2 years.

Thanks for your response Assylum,
I was so happy for the "interim EAD"..... :(
It was to good to be true......

I went to the asylum office yesterday, and told them it was about a month ago that I received information that desicion was made and that still I havent receive any response. Now, they said that yes, desicion has been made, but the AO still needs to present it to the supervisor. They told me to wait to receive desicion before mailing the EAD application, since they think I most likely receive it soon. But, Im thinking to play safe and mail the application as soon as possible, because a month ago they also said the desicion will be in the mail soon, and Im still waiting......
I don t think it could hurt to send it...
thanks again for your advise.....

see the attached current form and instructions.