AOS pending for 2 years - is this normal?

EscEsc

Registered Users (C)
I submitted my AOS (I-485) about 2 years ago but I still haven't received a green card. Is this normal? I've seen other asylum cases here and AOS lasts just a few months. What should I do? Thanks!

I submitted my AOS (I-485) about 2 years ago but I still haven't received a green card. Is this normal? I've seen other asylum cases here and AOS lasts just a few months. What should I do? Thanks!

First, you will need to know the cause of the delay. You can do this by contacting your congressman. The USCIS congressional unit will respond to your congressman within one week.

If the response says that your case is on hold due to 212(a)(3)(b), then you you will have to wait until DHS grants a waiver or you can challenge the decision in the court of law to see why they have decided to put your case on hold. This will cost you money and you need a very good lawyer.
If your case is pending due to a pending background check, then you might need to talk to a lawyer who is experienced with Write of Mandamus cases.

First, you will need to know the cause of the delay. You can do this by contacting your congressman. The USCIS congressional unit will respond to your congressman within one week.

If the response says that your case is on hold due to 212(a)(3)(b), then you you will have to wait until DHS grants a waiver or you can challenge the decision in the court of law to see why they have decided to put your case on hold. This will cost you money and you need a very good lawyer.
If your case is pending due to a pending background check, then you might need to talk to a lawyer who is experienced with Write of Mandamus cases.

Thank you for the reply. So it is not usual for AOS through asylum to be pending for 2 years, right?

Thank you for the reply. So it is not usual for AOS through asylum to be pending for 2 years, right?

You need to make an infopass and really find out the reason for the delay. The last few years I would say that USCIS has improved greatly as far as processing and approving applications.