Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Interesting. I thought once a lawsuit is filed CIS has no jurisdiction on naturalization petitions at all. Why doesn't the federal judge not realize it. Frankly after reading this case's docket I have lost all interest in the citizenship of this country.

Thats only in the 9th circuit. The article did not list reasons for denial but suffice to say that n400 process is very subjective and questions asked are very open ended and a lot is based on general impressions of the applicant on the DAO which at times may not be fair to the applicant.

This might be off the topic, but I am desperate, hopefully someone could give me some advices.

Finally, the Judge rules on my case, favoring me. But it is not the final ruling, it is just a recommendation and the government could object before Sep. 17th. The bad thing is my Chinese passport is expiring in Feb. 8, 2008. I don't really want to submit my passport to renew (it will take around a month to get it back) because I hope if I get the approval notice, I will be able to get it stamped. Also, I might need to go to Asia for a business trip (I really want to do that) in Mid-October. My dilema is I don't know if i can come back with Advanced Parole on a passport which does not have 6 months validation on it. Because I have to prepare for the worst that if I won't get greencard before the trip. Should I just go ahead to renew my passport? It will be expensive because I have to travel to San Francisco soon which means airline tickets will be expensive. So, anyone here have any experience on a "almost" expired passport, travel with Advanced Parole? If I receive the green card before that, will that be ok?

Please get valid passport. Also remember that travel on Parole can be risky. If I-485 adjudication takes place while you are out on parole I am not sure about wether the parole continues to be valid for re-entry.

Thats only in the 9th circuit. The article did not list reasons for denial but suffice to say that n400 process is very subjective and questions asked are very open ended and a lot is based on general impressions of the applicant on the DAO which at times may not be fair to the applicant.

Not exactly. Look at the recent 4th circuit decision that I posted a couple of pages ago.

WOM in Ohio

All,

My I-485 application has been stalled in NSC for more than 3 years due to the FBI name check. I wrote letters to FBI, US congressmen, senators, and First Lady Laura Bush. All these did not help me out. I agree with you all that lawsuit appears to be the only effective way to compel the FBI to get their job done. I want to start the WOM ASAP and I am considering to retain an attorney to help me handle this lawsuit. It would be greatly appreciated if you could respond to my following questions and provide your advices:

1. Do you have any experience in filing WOM in the US District Court - Southern District Court of Ohio? Did the judges side with us?

2.Can you recommend some experienced attorneys in handling WOM cases? Can out of state attorneys represent me in the court if my case has to be resolved by trial?

Thank you,
Pengdi

Hello,
I just registered to this forum. Here's my timeline:

Submitted Application in Dec 2005
Fingerprinted in March 2006
Interviewed and took the test May 2006

After the interview, I saw my citizenship certificate in the folder, it was signed and everything. The INS officer told me that they had been waiting for the name check.

Since then, every 3 months I would go to the INS office and check on the status, and I was told the same thing: "Waiting on the FBI to do the name check." I can't wait anymore, I have a lucrative job offer, but being a citizen is one of the requirements.

By the way, I am in Virginia, and I have never set foot in a court room and I wonder how is the VA law? Is it as tough as Maryland. If someone from VA is in this forum and their case has been adjudicated to their favor, please tell me all about it.

Thank you very much.

All,

My I-485 application has been stalled in NSC for more than 3 years due to the FBI name check. I wrote letters to FBI, US congressmen, senators, and First Lady Laura Bush. All these did not help me out. I agree with you all that lawsuit appears to be the only effective way to compel the FBI to get their job done. I want to start the WOM ASAP and I am considering to retain an attorney to help me handle this lawsuit. It would be greatly appreciated if you could respond to my following questions and provide your advices:

1. Do you have any experience in filing WOM in the US District Court - Southern District Court of Ohio? Did the judges side with us?

2.Can you recommend some experienced attorneys in handling WOM cases? Can out of state attorneys represent me in the court if my case has to be resolved by trial?

Thank you,
Pengdi

1. There are victories in your district. In Yang v. Gonzales, 07-050, the judge rejected government position and denied motion to dismiss

2. Here is the attorney info from the above case:
Donald Charles Slowik
Slowik & Robinson, LLC
250 East Broad Street
Suite 250
Columbus, OH 43215
614-884-4800
Fax: 614-884-4801
Email: dslowik@s-r-law.com

All the best,
lazycis

Hello,
I just registered to this forum. Here's my timeline:

Submitted Application in Dec 2005
Fingerprinted in March 2006
Interviewed and took the test May 2006

After the interview, I saw my citizenship certificate in the folder, it was signed and everything. The INS officer told me that they had been waiting for the name check.

Since then, every 3 months I would go to the INS office and check on the status, and I was told the same thing: "Waiting on the FBI to do the name check." I can't wait anymore, I have a lucrative job offer, but being a citizen is one of the requirements.

By the way, I am in Virginia, and I have never set foot in a court room and I wonder how is the VA law? Is it as tough as Maryland. If someone from VA is in this forum and their case has been adjudicated to their favor, please tell me all about it.

Thank you very much.

You may not need to go to court room, except for the oath ceremony. You can handle al the lawsuit steps via mail, if you want to. Prepare and file 1447b lawsuit. Filing fee- $350. Check the first page of this forum for details. Here is the sample lawsuit.
You have a strong case as you've had an interview. You can win.

Not exactly. Look at the recent 4th circuit decision that I posted a couple of pages ago.

Agree. Massachusetts district has the same position. Maybe we need to give an advice to Judge Walker Miller? He ordered remand in Mah'd case. The court retains jurisdiction on remand.

Agree. Massachusetts district has the same position. Maybe we need to give an advice to Judge Walker Miller? He ordered remand in Mah'd case. The court retains jurisdiction on remand.

Even Oregon judges do the same thing. Remand it back to USCIS. Look up Lazli case.

1. There are victories in your district. In Yang v. Gonzales, 07-050, the judge rejected government position and denied motion to dismiss

2. Here is the attorney info from the above case:
Donald Charles Slowik
Slowik & Robinson, LLC
250 East Broad Street
Suite 250
Columbus, OH 43215
614-884-4800
Fax: 614-884-4801
Email: dslowik@s-r-law.com

All the best,
lazycis

Lazycis,

Thank you so much for your response. This is really encouraging. Can you advise if I can know a little bit more detail about the Yang v. Gonzales, 07-050 case? If so, how? Thanks.

Best regards,
Pengdi

Pengdi

I suggest that you open an account with Pacer at http://pacer.uscourts.gov/. All you need is a credit card. This website charges 8 cents per page which is nothing compared to the amount of knowledge that one gains from looking at those cases.

Also use dockets.justia.com to lookup cases. This websiste has links to PACER dockets and is easy to search for cases.

Lazycis,

Thank you so much for your response. This is really encouraging. Can you advise if I can know a little bit more detail about the Yang v. Gonzales, 07-050 case? If so, how? Thanks.

Best regards,
Pengdi

Follow AGC4Me advice and open a PACER account. You will find a link to your court site on PACER web site. Login to your court web site and use Query meny to lookup case 2-07-cv-50 This will bring you to the case. Click on docket report and you will be able to see the full history of the case, including attorney info and filed documents. You can view any document and save it on your PC.

You may not need to go to court room, except for the oath ceremony. You can handle al the lawsuit steps via mail, if you want to. Prepare and file 1447b lawsuit. Filing fee- $350. Check the first page of this forum for details. Here is the sample lawsuit.
You have a strong case as you've had an interview. You can win.

Lazycis, Thanks a million for your response. That was very encouraging.

imcis

Follow AGC4Me advice and open a PACER account. You will find a link to your court site on PACER web site. Login to your court web site and use Query meny to lookup case 2-07-cv-50 This will bring you to the case. Click on docket report and you will be able to see the full history of the case, including attorney info and filed documents. You can view any document and save it on your PC.

AGC4Me and Lazycis,

Thanks both of you. I will follow your advice and suggestion to advance my WOM and update any progress in this forum.

Best regards,
Pengdi

Pros and Cons of filing WOM

Hi,

Details of my case:-
I-485 RD Dec 2004;
I-140 approved ; July 2005
PD:- Sept 2000;

My case has been current since March 2006. USCIS is not doing anything on my case since July 2006. Requested senator to follow up my case, one in 2006 and another in 2007 recently after an year in July. The reply was "FBI Name check is completed, visa number is available and the file is moved to a secure area since July 2006... No time frame can be given as to how long or why it is there" as per congressional Nebraska. In between I wrote to Ombudsman and raised several Service requests. Replies were 'background check pending' or 'additional review' and come back after 6 months. I requested for an expedite request, which they didn't consider. I think I have enough paperwork to file a WOM.

I have a few questions.

I don't want to pay huge fees to Attorney for WOM nor do I have the intention to go to court for trial if it reaches hearing.

I am thinking of filing WOM to make them adjudicate my case sooner. So I want learned opinions. My family is against filing WOM. Our primary interest is to complete 10 years and be eligible for social security. We are 2 years short. So is it advisable to file WOM? What would be the probable outcomes of WOM?

Is it 100% in the plaintiffs favor? If it is 50-50, how does it usually work out? Is there a chance that as soon as I file WOM, USCIS can deny I-485 for one reason or other? If they don't deny but the AUSA is asking for Motion to Dismiss my case and I don't oppose it, will that result in Denial of I-485 or is it just the WOM that the AUSA is asking to be dismissed?

And also how long will it take for closure? 60 days? I see here one guy who filed WOM in Dec 2006 and it is dragging on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Lawyer in Bay area

> Can someone refer me to a good lawyer who has
> experience filing and winning these WOM lawsuits? I live > in San Jose, CA.
>
>I applaud those who are doing everything by themselves. > I learned a lot from this forum, and have decided to hire >professional help. I called the local county bar >associations for a lawyer referal, but it seems that most >immigration lawyers don't know or don't want to do WOM > suits. Thanks.

I would recommend Shah Peerally. He is a nice guy, and did a really good job for me.

As far as filing by yourself, I would not recommend it. It is better to have someone taking care of things for you instead of going at it alone. You could submit your case to a lawyer, and then let the lawyer take care of everything, and you can relax. All you will have to do is look at the time frame that it takes to close cases, and expect yours to be closed in a similar time frame. You will then get your adjudication or oath letter, and you just have to make sure you show up.

If the AUSA files a motion to dismiss, or some other derogatory motion, its good to have a lawyer respond, instead of you by yourself.

I wish for all the people that are delayed, speedy adjudications and naturalizations for you.

Also, I would recommend for everyone, to do their research on finding a lawyer, that will do the job properly. Be careful not to get stuck with someone that will keep dragging the case along (as well as piling up the fees). Don't go with someone that will keep charging more and more, for anything that may come up.

I am sure these nonsense delays will no longer be there with a new president next year. Obama clearly recognizes these delays as nonsense, and Hillary is very responsive to requests, as long as they will not reduce the camapaign contributions.

Besides Shah, another nice lawyer I found was Tricia Wang.

Good luck.

One more good step for AOS cases in Western Washington

The judge denied most parts of the MSJ filed by the defendants. FBI is dismissed as defendant citing Konchitsky v. Chertoff, 2007 WL 2070325 (N.D. Cal. July 13, 2007) "the Court lacks jurisdiction to compel the FBI to perform name checks in connection with adjustment of status applications, reasoning that the FBI’s involvement in processing name checks arises not by statute or regulation, but by contract between USCIS and FBI." The defendants are ordered to provide particularized information to explain the delay withing one month. I guess USCIS has no other choice but to adjudicate the application in one month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I have a few questions.

I don't want to pay huge fees to Attorney for WOM nor do I have the intention to go to court for trial if it reaches hearing.

There will not be a need for trial in this cases. But sometimes you may have to argue in front of the judge, very rarely though. Most of these cases are decided on motions.
I am thinking of filing WOM to make them adjudicate my case sooner. So I want learned opinions. My family is against filing WOM. Our primary interest is to complete 10 years and be eligible for social security. We are 2 years short. So is it advisable to file WOM? What would be the probable outcomes of WOM?

WOM is a good way to force them adjudicate. You are on right track. I am not sure why your family is against it nor do I want to know. That'll be a personal decision. I have seen one case in Nebraska (assuming you are in NE) where the Govt. lost. So you have a good chance.

Is it 100% in the plaintiffs favor? If it is 50-50, how does it usually work out? Is there a chance that as soon as I file WOM, USCIS can deny I-485 for one reason or other? If they don't deny but the AUSA is asking for Motion to Dismiss my case and I don't oppose it, will that result in Denial of I-485 or is it just the WOM that the AUSA is asking to be dismissed?

Nothing is guaranteed 100%. It depends on the district. If you are in North California it would probably be 100%, if you are in Maryland you will have difficulty. NE appears to be plaintiff friendly. Obviously no one can guess about retributions from USCIS for filing WOM. They don't really care about getting back at you for GCs. Naturalization is a different thing. If u don't oppose Motion to Dismiss, your WOM will be dismissed, it will have no effect on your pending 485.

And also how long will it take for closure? 60 days? I see here one guy who filed WOM in Dec 2006 and it is dragging on.

It depends on how you run the case. There are other cases that took ony 4 months. Hope I answered your qs to the best of my ability.