Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

In certain jurisdictions judges seem to be granting I-485 MTDs. I know that within 10 calendar days of a judgement you can file for a motion to reconsider. If the arguments put in this motion are strong there is a chance of the case being reconsidered. Typically I have seen motion to reconsider in N400 cases where the judge accepted jurisdiction and remanded back to agency with no instruction, there the plaintiff filed this motion to have the judge issue instructions to expedite and some of these are successful. I will search pacer today and see if I can find one for you. I have not seen a motion to reconsider being filed for a MTD grant but that does not mean its not there.

Your best resource on this would be another member on this forum, lazycis who has extensive knowledge on 485 related decisions. Hopefully lazycis will reply to your post.

lotechguy, thanks for the compliments :) You are right, the gentleman can file a motion to reconsider/alter judgment within 10 days (see FRCP 59(e)) after the judgment is entered (this is important, because the judgment usually entered the next day after an order is issued so there is an extra day). I've seen that order which basically does not give any explanations and only refers to the mentioned case.
I did file a motion to reconsider to no avail, but it worth the try. The gentleman can use missingpa's opposition and my brief posted on page 400 and incorporate his own points.
The bad thing is that there is no timeframe for the court to rule upon such motion so at some point a decision has to be made whether to proceed with appeal. The notice of appeal has to be filed with the district court within 60 days after the judgment is entered (usually it's 30 days, but because one of the parties is the government agency, it's 60). I can provide an assitance with the appeal process if needed.

AGC4ME, you can give my e-mail to the gentleman if he wants to contact me directly.

lotechguy, thanks for the compliments :) You are right, the gentleman can file a motion to reconsider/alter judgment within 10 days (see FRCP 59(e)) after the judgment is entered (this is important, because the judgment usually entered the next day after an order is issued so there is an extra day). I've seen that order which basically does not give any explanations and only refers to the mentioned case.
I did file a motion to reconsider to no avail, but it worth the try. The gentleman can use missingpa's opposition and my brief posted on page 400 and incorporate his own points.
The bad thing is that there is no timeframe for the court to rule upon such motion so at some point a decision has to be made whether to proceed with appeal. The notice of appeal has to be filed with the district court within 60 days after the judgment is entered (usually it's 30 days, but because one of the parties is the government agency, it's 60). I can provide an assitance with the appeal process if needed.

AGC4ME, you can give my e-mail to the gentleman if he wants to contact me directly.

lazycis, thanks. I did email him your email id. I also sent his email to you. Looks like he has 4 more days to go after which he cannot file a motion to reconsider.

Topics were cut off?

I haven't been on this forum around 1 weeks. I log in today and see that instead of 700 messages it's shows only 419. What's happened? Did admin cut off half of the forum? Did I miss something? So far this forum was the only hope for us and only helper with our WOM processes. Please keep it.

Hearing of MSJ

Next Friday is day of our hearing in the court for summary judjment and opposition to it with presenting of oral arguments. We are Pro Se. Our AUSA very polite guy, quite famous (recently all over the news related to FBI cases) was not much help to expedite our case. He is s trongly taking FBI side and don't see any chance to "move us ahead of others" in FBI line. If this line only existed...;(. How paintful is hearing with oral arguments? We have a lawer who file I-485 case, but she is in the different state, so she can't come with us to the court. Did anybody went through the MSJ hearing ? Please share your experience.

I haven't been on this forum around 1 weeks. I log in today and see that instead of 700 messages it's shows only 419. What's happened? Did admin cut off half of the forum? Did I miss something? So far this forum was the only hope for us and only helper with our WOM processes. Please keep it.

nastena,
All posts are sill here, but the pages are twice as long. No worries.
I do not have any experience in court hearings. If court denied MTD in your case, that's a very good sign. Prepare an opening statement for the hearing and be ready to counter AUSA arguments (we all know what they are).

Next Friday is day of our hearing in the court for summary judjment and opposition to it with presenting of oral arguments. We are Pro Se. Our AUSA very polite guy, quite famous (recently all over the news related to FBI cases) was not much help to expedite our case. He is s trongly taking FBI side and don't see any chance to "move us ahead of others" in FBI line. If this line only existed...;(. How paintful is hearing with oral arguments? We have a lawer who file I-485 case, but she is in the different state, so she can't come with us to the court. Did anybody went through the MSJ hearing ? Please share your experience.

nastena, I had the privilege of hearing one of these court hearings in Oregon. It was a pretty tame affair. The AUSA repeated his arguments and the plaintiff's attorney did the same. The Judge in this case wanted AUSA to submit a list of cases that have ruled against Plaintiffs before she makes any decision. The Judge had some pointed questions more to the AUSA. My suggestions are
1. Dress professionally
2. Talk politely but confidently
3. Talk only when you are asked to.
4. Do not interject when the Judge is speaking or when the AUSA is speaking.
5. Request permission from the court if you want to raise any issues or if you want to counter an argument.
6. Always address the court as "Your Honor". Because that's what the defendants and plaintiffs did in the audio I heard.

If you know of any oral hearings in your district you can ask for the audio tape (may cost you a bit) and listen to it.
Good luck.

Exactly 4 weeks since I filed 1447b, I got a phone call from CIS (USCIS) and the lady told me the oath letter was on the way. She said they sent out on 8/10.

I filed on 7/19 Thursday and sent out sumons that Friday. I just filed return receipt last week and planned to send receipt copy to US attorney today. Seems I don't need to do that.

Thanks for this wonderful forum. Without this I don't know how long I would have to wait.

A very good case against AUSA interpretation of 8 usc 1252(2)(B)(ii)

Cho v. Gonzales, 404 F.3d 96, 100 (1st Cir. 2005).
http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/pdf.opinions/04-1437-01A.pdf

The parties agree that the Attorney General's rejection of an application for a hardship waiver under 8 U.S.C. § 1186a(c)(4)(B) is a decision made pursuant to the relevant statutory "subchapter" mentioned in subparagraph 1252(2)(B)(ii). They also agree that the Attorney General's general authority to grant a hardship waiver under § 1186a(c)(4)(B) is specified to be within the Attorney General's discretion. But they disagree over whether these two facts resolve the jurisdictional issue.

The Attorney General says that they do. He primarily argues that the "decision or action" referred to in 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) is his final order, which he says is his denial of the hardship waiver, and not the threshold eligibility ruling -- that Cho failed to prove that she married in good faith -- on which that order was based. And because this "decision or action" involves the withholding of discretionary relief, the argument goes, we have no power of review. Cf. Pilch v. Ashcroft, 353 F.3d 585, 587 (7th Cir. 2003) (interpreting a similar jurisdiction-stripping provision of the IIRIRA's transitional rules, IIRIRA § 309(c)(4)(E), and explaining that, absent an all-or-nothing approach, "there would be no jurisdiction if the agency is right but jurisdiction when it errs; [and] that would be a back door assertion of jurisdiction to review every decision, and an effective nullification of the statute"). Cho counters that the "decision or action" referred to in the statute is not the Attorney General's discretionary decision to withhold a hardship waiver, but the specific and non-discretionary (or so she argues, see infra) ruling upon which that decision depended and which she challenges in her petition -- i.e., that Cho is not within the class of aliens entitled to apply to discretionary relief under 8 U.S.C. § 1186a(c)(4)(B) because she failed to establish that she married in good faith.

We think that Cho has the better of this argument. We start with the fact that the Attorney General's position proves too much. Even if we were to accept for the sake of argument that the final agency order at which the petition is directed, and not the eligibility ruling leading to the order, is the "decision or action" to which 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) refers, the final agency order in this case would not be the Attorney General's rejection of Cho's application for a hardship waiver. Rather, it would be the removal order itself, which is the final decision of the Attorney General that we have jurisdiction to review under 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(1). See Subhan v. Ashcroft, 383 F.3d 591, 594 (7th Cir. 2004). And the removal order is not a decision or action the authority for which is specified by the relevant statute to be in the discretion of the Attorney General. See id.

Accordingly, and contrary to the position he takes in his brief, the Attorney General needs us to look to the rationale underlying his order, and not simply the nature of the order itself, if 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) is ever to preclude court review of a final removal order. And in this case, the rationale for the final removal order was not that the Attorney General, in an exercise of the discretion conferred upon him by 8 U.S.C. § 1186a(c)(4)(B), saw fit to reject Cho's application for a hardship waiver; it was that Cho is ineligible as a matter of law for a discretionary hardship waiver under § 1186a(c)(4)(B) because she failed to establish that she married in good faith. So even if we assume arguendo that the "decision or action" to which § 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) refers in the context of this case is not the removal order, but is the specific decision leading to the removal order, we would not accept the Attorney General's characterization of that decision as involving a discretionary denial of a hardship waiver to an eligible alien under § 1186a(c)(4)(B).

Treating the Attorney General's ineligibility ruling as the relevant "decision or action" (again, assuming for the sake of argument that the relevant "decision or action" is not the removal order itself) is consistent with the approach we have taken in other cases interpreting similar jurisdiction-stripping provisions of the IIRIRA. In those cases, we have consistently emphasized that, in deciding whether a jurisdiction-stripping statute applies, we should engage in a precise reading of both the agency decision and the petition. See Succar v. Ashcroft, 394 F.3d 8, 20 (1st Cir. 2005) (interpreting 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i)); Prado v. Reno, 198 F.3d 286, 288 (1st Cir. 1999) (also interpreting § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i)); Bernal-Vallejo v. INS, 195 F.3d 56, 61-62 (1st Cir. 1999) (interpreting IIRIRA § 309(c)(4)(E)).

The reasons for reading precisely provided in those cases pertain here as well. First, if Congress had intended to preclude all court review of agency decisions involving hardship waiver applications, it is hard to see why it would not have said so more clearly and categorically, using language such as that in, for example, IIRIRA § 309(c)(4)(G) ("[T]here shall be no appeal permitted in the case of an alien who is inadmissable or deportable by reason of having committed [certain criminal offenses]") -- a transitional rule which we have read to preclude all court review in the case of an alien who was deemed by the agency to be inadmissible or deportable by reason of having committed one of the specified criminal offenses. See Bernal-Vallejo, 195 F.3d at 62; see also Ruckbi v. INS, 159 F.3d 18, 21 (1st Cir. 1998). And short of using language of this sort, Congress certainly could have added 8 U.S.C. § 1186a(c)(4)(B) to the list of statutes described in 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) as involving "judgment" that "no court shall have jurisdiction to review." See Prado, 198 F.3d at 290 (suggesting in dicta that the jurisdiction-stripping language of § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) prohibits review of a "broader" range of agency decisions than does IIRIRA § 309(c)(4)(E), which, like § 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii), prohibits review of only certain discretionary "decisions"); but see Montero Martinez v. Ashcroft, 277 F.3d 1137, 1141-44 (9th Cir. 2002) (holding that the term "judgment" in § 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) encompasses only discretionary decisions by the Attorney General).

Second, the IIRIRA's jurisdiction-stripping provisions have been interpreted not to preclude judicial review "of the legal question of interpretation of the statute as to whether an alien is eligible for consideration of relief." Succar, 394 F.3d at 19 (emphasis added); see also Goncalves v. Reno, 144 F.3d 110, 125 (1st Cir. 1998) ("Analytically, the decision whether an alien is eligible to be considered for a particular discretionary form of relief is a statutory question separate from the discretionary component of the administrative decision whether to grant relief.").

Third, and relatedly, the eligibility ruling challenged here is not one that historically has been regarded as entirely discretionary. See Bernal-Vallejo, 195 F.3d at 63 (looking at pre-IIRIRA caselaw to determine whether a particular ruling should be regarded as purely discretionary or as having a reviewable legal component). Rather, it is a question the resolution of which has been regarded as circumscribed by a legal standard. See Rodriguez v. INS, 204 F.3d 25, 27 (1st Cir. 2000) (adopting and applying a legal standard -- "whether, at the time of the marriage, there was an intent to establish a life together" -- in reviewing the Attorney General's determination that the petitioner failed to establish that he had married in good faith) (citation and quotation marks omitted); see also, e.g., Damon v. Ashcroft, 360 F.3d 1084, 1088-89 (9th Cir. 2004) (concluding, in light of governing legal principles and without discussion of any jurisdictional issues, that there was no substantial evidence to support the Attorney General's determination that an alien was ineligible for § 1186a(c)(4)(B) relief because she failed to prove that she had married in good faith). It also is a question whose resolution is informed by objective regulatory criteria set forth at 8 C.F.R. § 216.5(e)(2) (listing factors to be considered in assessing whether a marriage was entered into in good faith). Cf. Bernal-Vallejo, 195 F.3d at 62 (observing that inquiries guided by objective statutory criteria are not discretionary).

filed 1447b and need some advices

Hi guys,

Encouraged by the people in this thread, I filed my 1447b lawsuit against USCIS the day before yesterday (Eastern Virginia District Court). I have served summons to all defendants, no receipt back yet. However, I just found a mistake in my complain: I wrote "18 months since my interview date" but actually it should be "15 months since my interview date". I don't think this error changes any fundamental of the claim, but not sure if that could be the excuse the AUSA could use to dismiss the case.

I called the clerk and she told me I could file an amended claim, and then serve all defendants again. Since there is one number to change, I am not sure if it worth a trip to the court.

Could somebody please give me some advices or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

lobo

I would suggest change it by filing an amended complaint. But wait till all the defendants are served with original complaint. I hope you did send a copy of your complaint to local AUSA. Once the AUSA is served you can file an amended complaint and send it to just the AUSA instead of all defendants.

Hi guys,

Encouraged by the people in this thread, I filed my 1447b lawsuit against USCIS the day before yesterday (Eastern Virginia District Court). I have served summons to all defendants, no receipt back yet. However, I just found a mistake in my complain: I wrote "18 months since my interview date" but actually it should be "15 months since my interview date". I don't think this error changes any fundamental of the claim, but not sure if that could be the excuse the AUSA could use to dismiss the case.

I called the clerk and she told me I could file an amended claim, and then serve all defendants again. Since there is one number to change, I am not sure if it worth a trip to the court.

Thanks in advance!

lobo

I agree with AGC4ME, wait until you get a return receipt from AUSA, then file first amended complaint and serve AUSA only to save on postage.

Do i have to amend?

I made a mistake in my complaint letter, which has been filed and served. In addition to quoting 1447(b), i quoted 336(b) as well in my complaint letter. Since my naturalization application has never been rejected, it was incorrect to quote 336(b) in my complaint letter.

Do you guys think it is necessary amend my complaint letter? If it is necessary, do i just submit the updated version via electronic filing, and mail a certified copy to AUSA ? Is there anything additional that i should be doing? Like mentioning what is being amended?

Thanks!

I made a mistake in my complaint letter, which has been filed and served. In addition to quoting 1447(b), i quoted 336(b) as well in my complaint letter. Since my naturalization application has never been rejected, it was incorrect to quote 336(b) in my complaint letter.

Do you guys think it is necessary amend my complaint letter? If it is necessary, do i just submit the updated version via electronic filing, and mail a certified copy to AUSA ? Is there anything additional that i should be doing? Like mentioning what is being amended?

Thanks!

If it's your first amendment, just submit first amended complaint via ECF if you use it and mail a copy to AUSA by regular first-class mail (no need to pay for certified mail). Do not forget to attach a certificate of service as it's required for everything filed with the court. I am not sure whether you really need to amend, but it does not sound like it's a critical mistake.

visa bulletin

Surprise... I expected all EB categories to be unavailable. The USCIS did break the law by requesting visa numbers in advance before the fee increase...

Thanks again lazycis for your quick response.

If i don't file an amendment, is it possible that the AUSA will use my mistake as a chance to have the judge throw out my case? I filed my suit in Western District of Washington early July and from what i have seen in other cases (non-pro se cases), most are resolved within 2 months after the cases were filed. So far, other than being notified that the assistant US attorney is handling my case, i have not heard from anyone. Should i be concerned at this point?

Thanks again lazycis for your quick response.

If i don't file an amendment, is it possible that the AUSA will use my mistake as a chance to have the judge throw out my case? I filed my suit in Western District of Washington early July and from what i have seen in other cases (non-pro se cases), most are resolved within 2 months after the cases were filed. So far, other than being notified that the assistant US attorney is handling my case, i have not heard from anyone. Should i be concerned at this point?

I do not think that this mistake can be the primary reason for dismissal. As long as you have other cause of action 1447(b) you are safe. If AUSA points to your mistake, you can just admit it.

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

lobo
I think just file an ammended complaint. You have to serve only the AUSA thats all.

Can I file 1447b sooner than my deadline in a draft ?

Hello

LazyCIS told me that my case is strong and I do not need to collect evidence about trying to solve my N400 in a peaceful way - I had interview on 1/31/06, case is still pending in security checks.
I've sent out the drafts to USA and local CIS, just received the certified slip back from USA office.
NOw... I've been reading this board for the last 3 weeks (I'm still on page 220 in October of last year :), and I'm getting anxious to file. Especially after reading that the warning letters are almost guaranteed to not draw any kind of attention from CIS.

I promised to file in 30 days in the warning. Can I file 1447b before 30 days expired ? or it'll make USA mad ? or maybe nobody is really looking at those drafts in USA office ?

thanks

anyone Filed the 8 U.S.C. 1447(b) lawsuit in boston.

i need help to fill the forms js44 and ao440 . if this is any examples of this forms and what i need else to file 1447(b) lawsuit. thank you