Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

My FRCP26(f) Conference

Report to my fiends here:

My AUSA have not yet updated me on any development on my 485 case and we have scheduled go ahead with our FRCP26(f) Conference next Wendesday. This will be my first opportunity to talk to the AUSA on the phone.

In your opinion or experience, what do you think that I could do the make the best use of this opportunity?

My case detail:
Priority date June 11, 2004
485 submitted concurrent with 140 in Dec 2004
Finger print in March 2005
140 approved in May 2005
Name check still pending (since March 2005)

Roomi1967,

Since you're in CA CIS is correct that you should hear next from the AUSA: technically, CIS lost jurisdiction once you sued them. I suggest you fax/call your AUSA (who do you have?) that CIS told you the main obstacle-your nc is cleared and that they referred you to AUSA for further steps. You could hint that unless there's other obstacles of which you don't know, CIS should be ready to adjudicate your case and you're waiting for the AUSA stipulation to dismiss on these grounds... May be AUSA is just lazy and needs a little push;)

Good luck!

Shvili,
Thank you for the reply and the information. Reading your posts I noticed you or your husband is going thru same path in N. CA. I don't know the name of AUSA since my lawyer is dealing with him. I called my lawyer this morning and was told that AUSA is still waiting for the reply from CIS. Anyway I will keep my fingers cross (if start from green card my fingers are all twisted now;) )
thank you for advise, much appreciated

AUSA moved for extra time

The timing is specified in the local rules rather than in the federal rules. :) The following is verbatim quote from local rules (civil rules) in the Western District of Washington:

CR 7 (d) (3)
....and all dispositive motions shall be noted for consideration no earlier than the fourth Friday after filing and service of the motion. Any opposition papers shall be filed and serviced not later than the Monday before the noting date. If service is by mail, the opposition papers shall be mailed not later than the Friday preceding the notng date. Any reply papers shall be filed and served no later than the noting date.​

Each district court will have it's own local rules, which may or may not be the same as the one quoted above.

SLIS, Lazycis,

First of all, thanks for your replies. Here is another development that happened today. I called the court and asked about the deadline to respond to my MSJ. I learned that the deadline was 07/24/07. Today, when I picked up the mail, I found that AUSA filed a motion to enlarge time to respond. Here what it says:

RESPONDENTS' NUNC PRO TUNC MOTION FOR ENLARGEMENT OF TIME

Respondents hereby move for an enlargement of time of the response date in this matter. The Government had filed a response in this case seeking dismissal of what is essentially a mandamus claim. Although that remains pending with the court, petitioner filed for a motion for summary judgment and our response was due July 24, 2007. Undersigned counsel has been involved in several criminal matters and due to the press of business inadvertently calendered the response for today. Undersigned counsel respectfully requests an additional two-weeks or until August 15, 2007 to file its response in this matter.
Dated: July 30, 2007
<< Name/Signature>>

I would like to hear what you would suggest? Has anyone encountered a similar situation before?

Any suggestion for my next move would be greatly appreciated.

vcs_victim

SLIS, Lazycis,

First of all, thanks for your replies. Here is another development that happened today. I called the court and asked about the deadline to respond to my MSJ. I learned that the deadline was 07/24/07. Today, when I picked up the mail, I found that AUSA filed a motion to enlarge time to respond. Here what it says:

RESPONDENTS' NUNC PRO TUNC MOTION FOR ENLARGEMENT OF TIME

Respondents hereby move for an enlargement of time of the response date in this matter. The Government had filed a response in this case seeking dismissal of what is essentially a mandamus claim. Although that remains pending with the court, petitioner filed for a motion for summary judgment and our response was due July 24, 2007. Undersigned counsel has been involved in several criminal matters and due to the press of business inadvertently calendered the response for today. Undersigned counsel respectfully requests an additional two-weeks or until August 15, 2007 to file its response in this matter.
Dated: July 30, 2007
<< Name/Signature>>

I would like to hear what you would suggest? Has anyone encountered a similar situation before?

Any suggestion for my next move would be greatly appreciated.

vcs_victim

Well, if AUSA inadvertently calendered the response for July 30th, s/he should've filed the response on that very day. It's clear that AUSA did not intend to file a response by the due date. AUSA is trying to mislead the court. The judge will not like it. You can also state that there are no disputed facts and ask the court to consider MSJ on record and determine whether the plaintiff is entitled to summary judgment as a matter of law. You can add that you the matter of the case is a prolonged delay in adjudication of your application so every additional day of waiting is harmful to you. What district are you in?

Here is what my court says:
The district court has significant discretionary authority to set and enforce filing deadlines in accordance with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, even when those deadlines are difficult for lawyers to meet. See Macaulay v. Anas, 321 F.3d 45, 49 (1st Cir. 2003) ("Courts simply cannot afford to let lawyers' schedules dominate the management of their dockets."); McIntosh v. Antonino, 71 F.3d 29, 38 (1st Cir. 1995) ("Litigants cannot expect that courts will dance to their every tune, granting extensions on demand to suit lawyers' schedules."); Mendez v. Banco Popular de Puerto Rico, 900 F.2d 4, 7 (1st Cir. 1990) ("[A] district judge must often be firm in managing crowded dockets and demanding adherence to announced deadlines.").
http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/pdf.opinions/05-1255-01A.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if AUSA inadvertently calendered the response for July 30th, s/he should've filed the response on that very day. It's clear that AUSA did not intend to file a response by the due date. AUSA is trying to mislead the court. The judge will not like it. You can also state that there are no disputed facts and ask the court to consider MSJ on record and determine whether the plaintiff is entitled to summary judgment as a matter of law. You can add that you the matter of the case is a prolonged delay in adjudication of your application so every additional day of waiting is harmful to you. What district are you in?

The district court has significant discretionary authority to set and enforce filing deadlines in accordance with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, even when those deadlines are difficult for lawyers to meet. See Macaulay v. Anas, 321 F.3d 45, 49 (1st Cir. 2003) ("Courts simply cannot afford to let lawyers' schedules dominate the management of their dockets."); McIntosh v. Antonino, 71 F.3d 29, 38 (1st Cir. 1995) ("Litigants cannot expect that courts will dance to their every tune, granting extensions on demand to suit lawyers' schedules."); Mendez v. Banco Popular de Puerto Rico, 900 F.2d 4, 7 (1st Cir. 1990) ("[A] district judge must often be firm in managing crowded dockets and demanding adherence to announced deadlines.").

I totally agree. And I love the court ruling that you've dug out. :D

AUSA cannot request an enlargement post fact. That should have been done before the deadline.

Lazycis,

Great example. This will give me a starting point to prepare an opposition to the AUSA's motion to enlarge time.

I am in Connecticut District, 2nd Circuit.

Thanks again.

vcs_victim

Lazycis,

Great example. This will give me a starting point to prepare an opposition to the AUSA's motion to enlarge time.

I am in Connecticut District, 2nd Circuit.

Thanks again.

vcs_victim

I am in RI :)
To get an extension post-factum, the respondents have to show excusable neglect, not just state that they were busy. Look for "excusable neglect" and how your court defines it.

MTD granted in MD

aben,

I don't mean to discourage you - but a Maryland judge granted government's MTD this past Friday for a WOM 485 case...See attached. Not a good sign for 4th circuit people, esp after Safadi v. Howard.

This was indeed a 485 case (Goumilevski v. Chertoff) in which the judge explicitly stated (p.7) that MTD is granted because there is no statutory time limit for processing adjustment of status applications. Judge Chasanow further wrote that there are such limits for naturalization applications saying that pursuant to 1447(b) "... after [120 days] applicants may bring their claims to the appropriate US district court" further referring to Li v. Conzales 06-5911 which took a similar position (see http://www.ailf.org/lac/clearinghouse_mandamus.shtml)
So in fact she sides with N-400 applicants. If anything this is a good sign.
Seems that 485 cases are more difficult to argue.

Thanks duck008

I spoke to my AUSA and he did tell me that ADR usually refers to mediation or arbitration. As such in these cases they do not come in to play. But he did suggest that I can put in my view of ADR saying "ADR can be achieved by adjudication of plaintiff's application". In his opinion that's not ADR that's granting of relief itself. From w&w's answer it appears to be the same.

I have read posts where people said they contacted the senator's/congressmen's offices to request an expedite for FBI namechecks. I contacted one senator and one congressman - the senator's office said they can't do anything because the background checks are not only at the FBI but at several agencies. The congressman's office said they can do an inquiry...interesting huh?

Question is, if I just call ALL the congressmen/senators in my areas, is that bad in any way? Also, CAN they do anything?

another AOS win in CACD

HODJAT v GONZALEZ, CV 07-936, CACD
"Given this established line of cases, the Court rejects Defendants’ argument that the Government has complete discretion in adjudicating I-485 applications, including discretion on how and when to adjudicate applications."

Hmm, what happened to the attachments? :confused: I am not able to attach the ruling. Probably I've exhausted my limit :)

Anyway, here is the link:
http://www.cacd.uscourts.gov/CACD/RecentPubOp.nsf/bb61c530eab0911c882567cf005ac6f9/79802ec53a30a7088825732a005e4b95/$FILE/CV%2007-936%20GPS.pdf

I have read posts where people said they contacted the senator's/congressmen's offices to request an expedite for FBI namechecks. I contacted one senator and one congressman - the senator's office said they can't do anything because the background checks are not only at the FBI but at several agencies. The congressman's office said they can do an inquiry...interesting huh?

Question is, if I just call ALL the congressmen/senators in my areas, is that bad in any way? Also, CAN they do anything?

imhrb,
being elected officials, these reps must perform "lip service", so I wouldn't pay much attention to "inquiry" promise. From mine and other members' experience, it looks that the best these congressmen letters achieved, was disclosing nc initiation date and other timelines. Letter to First Lady apparently coincided with nc clearances, but there is contradictory evidence on the forum, I think. So sure, you can call them and unless you're really make your point of acting mad, it shouldn't harm you, IMHO :) You can then include your calls as attempts to resolve your delay in your complaint. But I doubt any other useful result can be achieved...

Shvili,
Thank you for the reply and the information. Reading your posts I noticed you or your husband is going thru same path in N. CA. I don't know the name of AUSA since my lawyer is dealing with him. I called my lawyer this morning and was told that AUSA is still waiting for the reply from CIS. Anyway I will keep my fingers cross (if start from green card my fingers are all twisted now;) )
thank you for advise, much appreciated

Hey, don't twist your fingers too much just yet, you may need them for future brief-writing ;) (but I hope your CIS results come with the cleared nc and AUSA follows with stupulation to dismiss! Really, CA is a best place to be for this!)

Good luck!

Shvili,

Thanks a lot for your answers!

I just read that you won the case and your hubby is going to oath in a few days, congrats!!

Toolong2,

thank you! Like I said, I don't call it "quits" till he gets certificate in his hands, knowing these agencies, it's better to be superstitious!

This was indeed a 485 case (Goumilevski v. Chertoff) in which the judge explicitly stated (p.7) that MTD is granted because there is no statutory time limit for processing adjustment of status applications. Judge Chasanow further wrote that there are such limits for naturalization applications saying that pursuant to 1447(b) "... after [120 days] applicants may bring their claims to the appropriate US district court" further referring to Li v. Conzales 06-5911 which took a similar position (see http://www.ailf.org/lac/clearinghouse_mandamus.shtml)
So in fact she sides with N-400 applicants. If anything this is a good sign.
Seems that 485 cases are more difficult to argue.

Aben,

I also saw many AUSAs in their MTD and even judges (in bad rulings) contrasted AOS cases to N-400 complaints. Even our AUSA in the MTD-AOS case contrasted absence of time limits in AOS case to the 120 days in N-400 case (implying that he would not oppose 1447 complaint on the same grounds). So if you need to Oppose MTD, use it in your opposition (and don't forget that N-652 memo where CIS acknowledges your right to file 1447)!

Warning! Theoretical point ;)

Shvili,
I have to side with AGC4ME on this. There is a difference between court jurisdiction and court ability to grant a relief. By dismissing a case for lack of subject matter jurisdiction, the courts says that it does not have a legal basis to review the case. So in mandamus action it's not necessary to show that all 3 factors are satisfied fo jurisdictional purposes, because 1361 refers only to the "duty owed". See also Ahmed v DHS (7th Cir), another appellate case.
The other factors (right to relief, exhaustion of remedies) may require additional fact finding (discovery). I did not see a single ruling on appellate level that would agree with district court reasoning that all 3 factors must be satisfied for jurisdictional purposes.

Lazycis, although the mandamus statue only mentions the duty, most judges on the district level always consider 3 prerequisites (aka "prongs", aka "requirements") for mandamus because it's an "extraordinary remedy".

Overall, most of confusion comes because many legal issues have NO STRICT DEFINITIONS of terminology and laws. Plus most law practitioners/writers are not really predisposed to strict mathematical or scientific logic :rolleyes: . If they were, most of the problems in hand would not exist and all statues/decisions would be much clearer.

So I took some time and read a few cases and here's a few findings: unfortunately, no clear opinion on 3 prerequisites for mandamus. Again, the question I raised (and GC4ME and Lazycis commented) was:

do these 3 prerequisites (1:clear right to relief, 2:agency has a duty to act, and 3:no other remedy exists for plaintiff) provide grounds for court jurisdiction to review mandamus complaint, or are they only necessary in order to GRANT RELIEF UNDER mandamus??? -To be consistent, these 3 prerequisites should form jurisdiction for mandamus complaint first.Then, if jurisdiction is accepted, one or more prongs will be evaluated in detail to grant relief under mandamus. Lazycis and GC4ME opinion is: only the "duty" is considered for jurisdiction and the other 2 prongs need more facts and are relevant to relief under statues and so are discussed in later phases.. I am really neutral to either interpretation of this point. Again, it would be equally fine if only "duty" was considered to be a prerequisite for mandamus jurisdiction (and 2 other prongs only mattered for further stages), -but if all 3 are called "prerequisites", it would be really nice to have a clear plan on when these prerequisites are evaluated. So the reason I took pains to research it is to establish some consistency and clarity (and alas! it lacks in most of judges rulings :(). Another unclear point: is Mandamus RELIEF (mentioned in statue) =relief granted under mandamus (i.e., court compels agency to perform an action), or does this relief merely mean that district court HAS JURISDICTION TO CONSIDER mandamus complaint? Again, depending on the case and the judge, interpretations vary:confused: .

My findings are based on denials of MTD,-(I didn't find any appeals court references, except one reference in Spenser: judge said, s/he must consider jurisdiction sua sponte but did not consider 3 prongs).

In the case of Alsharqawi (denying MTD) the judge says: ""because compelling agency action is an extraordinary remedy, REGARDLESS OF the STATUE FROM WHICH THE REMEDY DERIVES, RELIEF IS APPROPRIATE, AND JURISDICTION LIES, ONLY WHEN the plaintiff can establish "a clear right to the relief sought, a clear duty by the defendant to do the particular act and that no other adequate remedy is available"" (quoting from another case, p.5). Judge further considers 3 prongs for both, jurisdiction and the relief under mandamus and APA. In the case of He, (my favorite reasoning by pro se plaintiff), she talks of 3 prongs in order to receive mandamus relief. Her interpretation of Mandamus relief: "the court compels agency to perform delayed action". However, her judge (in her denial of MTD) said: "the district court has DISCRETION to issue a writ of mandamus even where the prerequisites have been satisfied" (p. 6) Further down: "plaintiff failed to meet second prong of mandamus test" and finally, quoting Paunescu: "finding mandamus JURISDICTION because 3 mandamus requirements were satisfied".(p. 7) So this reasoning corresponds to my previous interpretation: the 3 prongs must be met in order to establish jurisdiction to consider mandamus. In Chen's case- a footnote quoting Singh case:"...defendants have considered mandamus relief is possible so long as the requirements are met" (p. 6) So: relief is POSSIBLE (-but not assumed or granted), once 3 prongs are met. If the 3 prongs are met, then judges discuss unreasonable delay and specifically the duty to act under APA and then deny MTD.

These interpretations rather support my previous thought, but I am sure that opposing interpretations can be found in other rulings. My initial post was related to the inconsistent reference to these 3 prongs by the Appeliate judge in Rios and based on these specific judges interpretations, it still looks inconsistent to me. So I agree with "There is a difference between court jurisdiction and court ability to grant a relief". I just say that strictly speaking, it looks like these prerequisites should be first forming jurisdiction for mandamus, not just basis for relief under it.

This confusion is also caused by the fact that the main question in most cases is: "is there a duty owed?" and judges also focus on important distinction of facial attack vs. factual attack. So in most cases discussion jumps to "duty to act" and then directly to "granting relief under mandamus".

list of cases

I think it would be better if we maintain the list of cases that we can quote for the various points raised. 485 WoMers should prove

1. 1252(a)(2)(B) doesn't bar jurisdiction.
2. Defendants owe the Plaintiffs mandatory duty
3. Mandamus jurisdiction exists
4. Fed. question statute and APA provides jurisdiction.

For each of the above points the more cases we can quote the better.

I have the following for Mandamus #3
Singh v. Still, 470 F. Supp.2d 1064, 1068 (N.D. Cal. 2007)
Quan v. Chertoff, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 44081 (N.D. Cal. June 7, 2007)
Song v Klapakas, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 27203
Tang v. Chertoff, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 44424 at *4
Duan v. Zamberry, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 12697
Razaq v. Poulos, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 770, at *4 (N.D. Cal. Jan. 8, 2007)

I'm pretty sure lazycis, missingpa can provide further quotes. The more the merrier.

AUSA has sent me a draft discovery plan. Is waiving ADR or not waiving ADR going to make any difference ?