Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

paz1960

thanks. That's only for naturalization applicants !!!!. The regulations for Adjustment of status applicants do not talk about any such examination. I'm veering towards lazycis' methodology of questioning the entire FBI namecheck when it is not called for by any statutory or regulatory rules. Even regulations prescribed by the Attorney General for I485 form codified in 8 C.F.R. 245 doesn't talk about FBI name check. I saw some reference to a finger print check in a website (oncle...) but no name check. It's therefore arbitrary and capricious and unlawful solely based on 9/11.

thanks. That's only for naturalization applicants !!!!. The regulations for Adjustment of status applicants do not talk about any such examination. I'm veering towards lazycis' methodology of questioning the entire FBI namecheck when it is not called for by any statutory or regulatory rules. Even regulations prescribed by the Attorney General for I485 form codified in 8 C.F.R. 245 doesn't talk about FBI name check. I saw some reference to a finger print check in a website (oncle...) but no name check. It's therefore arbitrary and capricious and unlawful solely based on 9/11.

Yes, yes, yes. There is no such requirement for employment-based or family-based AOS in 8 CFR or 8 USC.

Sorry, I didn't know if you are referring to AOS or N-400 cases.
Unfortunately, the text of the pertinent statue is vague enough to interpret as they want, so I have serious doubts that in the present political climate any federal judge will look seriously in the legality of the name check. Here is what they always can pull out and argue that they can due the name check:

§ 1255. Adjustment of status of nonimmigrant to that of person admitted for permanent residence

(a) Status as person admitted for permanent residence on application and eligibility for immigrant visa
The status of an alien who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States or the status of any other alien having an approved petition for classification under subparagraph (A)(iii), (A)(iv), (B)(ii), or (B)(iii) of section 1154 (a)(1) of this title may be adjusted by the Attorney General, in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence if
(1) the alien makes an application for such adjustment,
(2) the alien is eligible to receive an immigrant visa and is admissible to the United States for permanent residence, and
(3) an immigrant visa is immediately available to him at the time his application is filed.

I saw at least one lawsuit where Plaintiff challenged the legality of the name check and the judge dismissed that point, without much explanation.

Yes, yes, yes. There is no such requirement for employment-based or family-based AOS in 8 CFR or 8 USC.

Paz, AGC4ME, and Lazycis,

I'm not sure if it matters that there's no specific statutory requirements for name checks though. Here's the wording of 8 U.S.C. Section 1255 (a) that defendants usually would cite in their MTD:

The status of an alien who was inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States or the status of any other alien having an approved petition for classification....may be adjusted by the Attorney General, in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe, to that of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence....​

I think the thorny part is "under such regulations as he may prescribe." The vagueness of the wording pretty much gives a free ticket to the government. I think that's exactly what they are doing, claiming the new name check requirement as part of their standard operating process/regulations.

So, I think the focus for plaintiffs should be on the unreasonableness of the delay measured against the combined authority of Federal Question Act and the APA.

P.S. After I'd posted the above, I saw that Paz's most recent post, basically pointing out the same thing as in this post. :) So, we do have agreement here.

Last edited by a moderator:
paz1960 and SLIS I do understand the words "in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe" in 1255. The regulations specified in the statute is 8 C.F.R. 245 right ? There has to be some place where the regulation should specify background check, name check or anything like that. regulations cannot be something that is pulled from mid air.... Not to mention that AoS applies only for aliens already "inspected and admitted or paroled". If there was any question of inadmissability the alien should have been treated according to 8 U.S.C. 1225. Having been admitted it means that the alien has passed 8 U.S.C. 1225.

BTW, Sec 1252(a)(2)(b)(I) specifically lists sec. 1255. Can we argue that therefore 1252(a)(2)(b)(II) cannot be used in 1255 as it would render (I) superfluous and Congress will never create statutes to render another one superfluous ?

paz1960 and SLIS I do understand the words "in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe" in 1255. The regulations specified in the statute is 8 C.F.R. 245 right ? There has to be some place where the regulation should specify background check, name check or anything like that. regulations cannot be something that is pulled from mid air.... Not to mention that AoS applies only for aliens already "inspected and admitted or paroled". If there was any question of inadmissability the alien should have been treated according to 8 U.S.C. 1225. Having been admitted it means that the alien has passed 8 U.S.C. 1225.

The regulations aren't part of federal statute though. They would be the agency regulations, with the agencies being USCIS and FBI.

Also, looking closely at the wording of the statute, there can be two separate conditions. Being "inspected and admitted or paroled" is the necessary condition but not the sufficient condition. Each time one goes through Immigration at port of entry, that could also be interpreted as getting inspected and paroled into the country. But that doesn't mean one met the sufficient condition of being granted GC. One still has to wait his applciation to be adjudicated per the agency (USCIS) regulations.

I haven't searched USCIS or FBI sites. Any regulations pertaining to name check should be spelled out there.

In any case, as Paz pointed out earlier, challenging the legality of name check most likely won't fly with the court. And it's much more effective to challenge the unreasonableness in not setting a time limit for completing the name checks and adjudicating the AOS applications. IMHO.

BTW, Sec 1252(a)(2)(b)(I) specifically lists sec. 1255. Can we argue that therefore 1252(a)(2)(b)(II) cannot be used in 1255 as it would render (I) superfluous and Congress will never create statutes to render another one superfluous ?

Not sure what you mean here. Sec 1252(a)(2)(b)(I) is specific to judicial review of denials of discretionary relief. Since your AOS application hasn't even been adjudicated, and no decision has been rendered, this section is really irrelevant.

Okay I did find it.

8 C.F.R. 103(2)(e) quoted below
(e) Fingerprinting--(1) General. Service regulations in this
chapter, including the instructions to benefit applications and
petitions, require certain applicants, petitioners, beneficiaries,
sponsors, and other individuals to be fingerprinted on Form FD-258,
Applicant Card, for the purpose of conducting criminal background
checks. On and after December 3, 1997, the Service will accept Form FD-
258, Applicant Card, only if prepared by a Service office, a registered
State or local law enforcement agency designated by a cooperative
agreement with the Service to provide fingerprinting services (DLEA), a
United States consular office at United States embassies and consulates,
or a United States military installation abroad.

Unless lazycis comes up with an argument against it.

Not sure what you mean here. Sec 1252(a)(2)(b)(I) is specific to judicial review of denials of discretionary relief. Since your AOS application hasn't even been adjudicated, and no decision has been rendered, this section is really irrelevant.

Lack of subject matter jurisdiction is usually proved by defendants using Section 1252(a)(2)(B). This section is worded ambiguously. Even though the structure of the statute makes it appear in "Judicial Review of orders of removal" and "Denials of discretionary relief" the defendants argue that the plain text of the statute provisions (i) and (ii) applies to any and all discretionary action, decision or judgment of the attorney general the authority for which is given to him in the entire sub chapter.

In fact the 1252(a)(2)(B) has the words "regardless of whether the judgment, decision, or action is made in removal proceedings, no court shall have jurisdiction to review—".

Now whether the court is going to construe the statutes that follow these words as to apply only to discretionary denials not involving removal proceedings or just to any discretionary action,decision or judgment is the ambiguity here. Many courts have ruled that these words together with 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) totally bar any jurisdiction on any discretionary decision, action or judgment because (ii) is much more ambiguous in its words.

Here's the plain text of sec 1252(a)(2)(B)

(B) Denials of discretionary relief
Notwithstanding any other provision of law (statutory or nonstatutory), including section 2241 of title 28, or any other habeas corpus provision, and sections 1361 and 1651 of such title, and except as provided in subparagraph (D), and regardless of whether the judgment, decision, or action is made in removal proceedings, no court shall have jurisdiction to review—
(i) any judgment regarding the granting of relief under section 1182 (h), 1182 (i), 1229b, 1229c, or 1255 of this title, or
(ii) any other decision or action of the Attorney General or the Secretary of Homeland Security the authority for which is specified under this subchapter to be in the discretion of the Attorney General or the Secretary of Homeland Security, other than the granting of relief under section 1158 (a) of this title.

Now in (i) Sec. 1255 is explicitly quoted and jurisdictional bar is only on judgments whereas in (ii) the jurisdictional bar is on "any decision or action". But if you can argue that since 1255 is already tackled in (i) and therefore (ii) cannot be applied towards any other decision or action in 1255 as it would render (i) superfluous then you can argue that no judgment has been made yet. You can also argue that by excluding decision or action from (i) Congress intended those to be under jurisdiction of federal courts with respect to the statutes quoted in (i).

I'm of the opinion that judgment in this statute actually refers to judgment rendered by an IJ cause Attorney General cannot pass judgments but deny discretionary relief which can be appealed to IJ or BIA. But I'm not sure if my thinking is right though...

Lack of subject matter jurisdiction is usually proved by defendants using Section 1252(a)(2)(B). This section is worded ambiguously. Even though the structure of the statute makes it appear in "Judicial Review of orders of removal" and "Denials of discretionary relief" the defendants argue that the plain text of the statute provisions (i) and (ii) applies to any and all discretionary action, decision or judgment of the attorney general the authority for which is given to him in the entire sub chapter.

In fact the 1252(a)(2)(B) has the words "regardless of whether the judgment, decision, or action is made in removal proceedings, no court shall have jurisdiction to review—".

Now whether the court is going to construe the statutes that follow these words as to apply only to discretionary denials not involving removal proceedings or just to any discretionary action,decision or judgment is the ambiguity here. Many courts have ruled that these words together with 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) totally bar any jurisdiction on any discretionary decision, action or judgment because (ii) is much more ambiguous in its words.

Here's the plain text of sec 1252(a)(2)(B)

(B) Denials of discretionary relief
Notwithstanding any other provision of law (statutory or nonstatutory), including section 2241 of title 28, or any other habeas corpus provision, and sections 1361 and 1651 of such title, and except as provided in subparagraph (D), and regardless of whether the judgment, decision, or action is made in removal proceedings, no court shall have jurisdiction to review—
(i) any judgment regarding the granting of relief under section 1182 (h), 1182 (i), 1229b, 1229c, or 1255 of this title, or
(ii) any other decision or action of the Attorney General or the Secretary of Homeland Security the authority for which is specified under this subchapter to be in the discretion of the Attorney General or the Secretary of Homeland Security, other than the granting of relief under section 1158 (a) of this title.

Now in (i) Sec. 1255 is explicitly quoted and jurisdictional bar is only on judgments whereas in (ii) the jurisdictional bar is on "any decision or action". But if you can argue that since 1255 is already tackled in (i) and therefore (ii) cannot be applied towards any other decision or action in 1255 as it would render (i) superfluous then you can argue that no judgment has been made yet. You can also argue that by excluding decision or action from (i) Congress intended those to be under jurisdiction of federal courts with respect to the statutes quoted in (i).

I'm of the opinion that judgment in this statute actually refers to judgment rendered by an IJ cause Attorney General cannot pass judgments but deny discretionary relief which can be appealed to IJ or BIA. But I'm not sure if my thinking is right though...

AGC4ME,
The word "judgment" in 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) refers to the final decision whether to grant or deny relief while 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) refers to other decisions or actions. So there is no redundancy there.
However, 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) says "any other decision or action ... for which is specified under this subchapter to be in the discretion of the Attorney General or the Secretary of Homeland Security". INA chapter 12, subchapter II does not say that AG has a full discretion regarding time required to process applications. It does not say that AG has a discretion to ignore applications or put them aside for no reason. That should be our standing.

You brought up a good point that regulations state that the USCIS director has to make a decision upon AOS application.
8 CFR 245.2(5)(i) :
The applicant shall be notified of the decision of the director and, if the application is denied, the reasons for the denial.

Therefore, the director cannot just deny application at his discretion. In this case, the decision is not fully discretionary.

The regulations aren't part of federal statute though. They would be the agency regulations, with the agencies being USCIS and FBI.

Also, looking closely at the wording of the statute, there can be two separate conditions. Being "inspected and admitted or paroled" is the necessary condition but not the sufficient condition. Each time one goes through Immigration at port of entry, that could also be interpreted as getting inspected and paroled into the country. But that doesn't mean one met the sufficient condition of being granted GC. One still has to wait his applciation to be adjudicated per the agency (USCIS) regulations.

I haven't searched USCIS or FBI sites. Any regulations pertaining to name check should be spelled out there.

In any case, as Paz pointed out earlier, challenging the legality of name check most likely won't fly with the court. And it's much more effective to challenge the unreasonableness in not setting a time limit for completing the name checks and adjudicating the AOS applications. IMHO.

The CFR has the power of federal law, the agencies can only create their own policies by interpreting the law. Moreover, APA sets a procedure how those interpretations (or rules) are to be implemented. An agency cannot just create a rule without following APA, including public comments requirement.
The word "regulations" in 1255 does mean CFR. 8 CFR specifically mentions "full criminal background check" twice:

8 CFR 240.67(a), where it apparently means "fingerprint check" when we look at 8 CFR 240.67(a)(3):
"Confirmation from the FBI that two properly prepared fingerprint cards (Form FD-258) have been determined unclassifiable for the purpose of conducting a criminal background check and have been rejected."

and

8 CFR 335.2(b), but we have the same situation here as well, 8 CFR 335.2(b)(3) is a copy of 8 CFR 240.67(a)(3).

8 C.F.R. 103(2)(e) refers to fingerprinting only as well.

So here are my points (let's forget about how a judge may look at them, we are talking about law interpretation, not about somebody's feelings):

1) employment-based/family-based AOS does not require the SAME full criminal background checks as asylum or naturalization;
2) The law does not specify name-based criminal background check as mandatory requirement for any immigration benefit application. Name check is distinctly different from fingerprinting. Also, name check is requested before fingerprinting quite often, so they cannot say it is the same process (i.e. part of the fingerprint background check).

APA provides for judicial review of agency action, and it requires the reviewing court to remand a case to the agency or to set aside agency action when it finds that the agency "has erroneously interpreted a provision of law." Nothing in the APA requires the court to defer to the agency's interpretation and nothing limits the reviewing court's authority to those cases in which the court determines that the agency's interpretation is "clearly" erroneous.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

The CFR has the power of federal law, the agencies can only create their own policies by interpreting the law. Moreover, APA sets a procedure how those interpretations (or rules) are to be implemented. An agency cannot just create a rule without following APA, including public comments requirement.
The word "regulations" in 1255 does mean CFR. 8 CFR specifically mentions "full criminal background check" twice:

8 CFR 240.67(a), where it apparently means "fingerprint check" when we look at 8 CFR 240.67(a)(3):
"Confirmation from the FBI that two properly prepared fingerprint cards (Form FD-258) have been determined unclassifiable for the purpose
of conducting a criminal background check and have been rejected."

and

8 CFR 335.2(b), but we have the same situation here as well, 8 CFR 335.2(b) is a copy of 8 CFR 240.67(a)(3).

8 C.F.R. 103(2)(e) refers to fingerprinting only as well.

So here are my points (let's forget about how a judge may look at them, we are talking about law interpretation, not about somebody's feelings):

1) employment-based/family-based AOS does not require the SAME full criminal background checks as asylum or naturalization;
2) The law does not specify name-based criminal background check as mandatory requirement for any immigration benefit application. Name check is distinctly different from fingerprinting. Also, name check is requested before fingerprinting quite often, so they cannot say it is the same process (i.e. part of the fingerprint background check).

APA provides for judicial review of agency action, and it requires the reviewing court to remand a case to the agency or to set aside agency action when it finds that the agency "has erroneously interpreted a provision of law." Nothing in the APA requires the court to defer to the agency's interpretation and nothing limits the reviewing court's authority to those cases in which the court determines that the agency's interpretation is "clearly" erroneous.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

You may be on to something. Even if it is true as SLIS and paz have pointed out, that agencies can have internal regulations that are can be used under the vague provison of the law, these regulations have to be codified even internally within CIS process. Look at posting by brb2:

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1570494#post1570494

It shows that name check regulations have not even been formally codified as regulations within CIS and they are only now trying to do this. This may support your assertion that there is no basis for these checks under current legal and regulatory framework.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1306. WITHHOLDING OF ADJUDICATION

Priority: Other Significant

Legal Authority: 8 USC 552; 8 USC 552a; 8 USC 1101; 8 USC 1103; 8 USC
1304; 8 USC 1356; 8 USC 1421; 8 USC 1443; 8 USC 1447; . . .

CFR Citation: 8 CFR 103; 8 CFR 208; 8 CFR 310; 8 CFR 335; 8 CFR 336

Legal Deadline: None

Abstract: This interim rule codifies the Secretary of Homeland
Security's current discretionary authority, as delegated to the
Department of Homeland Security (DHS) directors, to manage the caseload
of pending requests for immigration benefits in districts or regions
over which the directors have jurisdiction. A component of this case
management authority is the ability to withhold adjudication of any
pending application or petition, particularly when an investigation is
ongoing and background and security checks are still pending
completion. This interim rule expands the circumstances under which DHS
may withhold adjudication or toll any applicable regulatory deadline
for completion of adjudication of an application or petition. This
interim rule also modifies the regulations governing processing of
naturalization applications to define when a naturalization examination
will be deemed ``conducted'' for purposes of seeking administrative or
judicial review under section 336 of the Immigration and Nationality
Act (Act). The interim rule also requires that background and security
checks be completed to the satisfaction of the Secretary before an
alien may be found to have ``good moral character'' for naturalization
and before the alien may be naturalized in accordance with title III of
the Act. These changes will aid DHS in its efforts to improve case
adjudication overall while simultaneously ensuring that no immigration
or naturalization benefit is granted until any pending investigation or
required background and security check is completed to the satisfaction
of the Secretary. These changes also will ensure that no immigration
benefit is provided to an ineligible individual or person who may pose
a threat to public safety or national security.

Timetable:
__________________________________________________ ______________________

Action Date FR Cite

__________________________________________________ ______________________

Interim Final Rule 01/00/07
Interim Final Rule Comment
Period End 03/00/07

Regulatory Flexibility Analysis Required: No

Small Entities Affected: No

Government Levels Affected: None

Additional Information: CIS No. 2234-02
Transferred from RIN 1115-AG86

Agency Contact: Alice J. Smith, Chief Counsel, Department of Homeland
Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, 20 Massachusetts
Avenue NW., Washington, DC 20536
Phone: 202 272-1418

RIN: 1615-AA86

Case Status

Okay my attorney has told me this:
All background checks are now complete in your case. I have agreed with the government attorney to dismiss your case. In exchange, they promise to adjudicate it within 30 days.

:D seems its moving. I hope to get the oath letter very soon!

Applied Dec. 05
IV Apr 06
Decsion cannot be made crap given
filed the case based on 120 days decision limt in May 07
Got new finger printing last month
Now waiting for oath letter

There is a light at end of tunnel.

Thanks

Case update

Dear friends,

I have an important update: today I received automatic emails from the DHS saying that my I-485 applications have been approved and the notices have been sent on August 3. Later, the AUSA emailed me the PDF of a fax of what appeared to be the first page of my I-485 form with an "approved" stamp on it. She also asked me to voluntarily dismiss my WoM case and sent me this stipulation:

Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, the parties, by and through their undersigned counsel, stipulate to the dismissal of the entire action without prejudice, with each party to bear its own costs and fees, including attorney fees.​

Since it did not mention anything about Plaintiffs expecting approval notices and resident alien cards to be sent to them, I asked the AUSA if she could add a clause that says if Plaintiffs do not receive those within 30 days, the parties agree that the case may be re-opened. Here is her reply:

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think we can agree to incorporate that language into the stipulation -- my office generally does not like to include such language in stipulations b/c it's not applicable to all situations and we don't want to give courts unrealistic expectation that this might happen in all cases before them.​

What do you think, guys, should I sign it or not? I certainly do not want to irritate the AUSA and now that the DHS system has confirmed that they have sent me the approval notice, what more can I ask for? But in the mean time, I do want to make sure that I have not overlooked any potential pitfalls especially since I have devoted so much time and energy to come this far. Please give me some advice.

I will follow up on this shortly and, as promised, will share all the documents in my case which may be useful to those still fighting.

Dear friends,

I have an important update: today I received automatic emails from the DHS saying that my I-485 applications have been approved and the notices have been sent on August 3. Later, the AUSA emailed me the PDF of a fax of what appeared to be the first page of my I-485 form with an "approved" stamp on it. She also asked me to voluntarily dismiss my WoM case and sent me this stipulation:

Pursuant to Rule 41(a)(1) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, the parties, by and through their undersigned counsel, stipulate to the dismissal of the entire action without prejudice, with each party to bear its own costs and fees, including attorney fees.​

Since it did not mention anything about Plaintiffs expecting approval notices and resident alien cards to be sent to them, I asked the AUSA if she could add a clause that says if Plaintiffs do not receive those within 30 days, the parties agree that the case may be re-opened. Here is her reply:

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think we can agree to incorporate that language into the stipulation -- my office generally does not like to include such language in stipulations b/c it's not applicable to all situations and we don't want to give courts unrealistic expectation that this might happen in all cases before them.​

What do you think, guys, should I sign it or not? I certainly do not want to irritate the AUSA and now that the DHS system has confirmed that they have sent me the approval notice, what more can I ask for? But in the mean time, I do want to make sure that I have not overlooked any potential pitfalls especially since I have devoted so much time and energy to come this far. Please give me some advice.

I will follow up on this shortly and, as promised, will share all the documents in my case which may be useful to those still fighting.

Congratulations, missingpa! That's wonderful! Very happy for you!

AOS case with a lot of references to other cases

Here is good news for those who filed a case in CAND:
Qui v. Chertoff, 2007 WL 1831130 (N.D.Cal, June 25,2007)

all ten judges from that court sided with plaintiff's :)

Yu v. Chertoff, No. C06-7878 CW, 2007 WL 1742850, at *2-3 (N.D. Cal. June 14, 2007) (finding jurisdiction where I-485 application remained pending due to incomplete FBI name check);
Quan v. Chertoff, No. C06-7881 SC, 2007 WL 1655601, at *2-4 (N.D. Cal.
June 7, 2007) (same);
Fu v. Gonzales, No. C07-0207 EDL, 2007 WL 1742376, at *2-6 (N.D.
Cal. May 22, 2007) (same);
Baker v. Still, No. C06-7456 MEJ, 2007 WL 1393750, at *1-2 (N.D. Cal. May 9, 2007) (same);
Dmitriev v. Chertoff, No. C06-7677 JW, 2007 WL 1319533, at *2-3 (N.D. Cal. May 4, 2007) (same);
Wu v. Chertoff, No. C06-7880 SI, 2007 WL 1223858, at *3 (N.D. Cal. Apr. 25, 2007) (same);
Gelfer v. Chertoff, No. C06-6724 WHA, 2007 WL 902382, at *2-3 (N.D. Cal. Mar. 22, 2007) (same);
Singh v. Still, 470 F. Supp. 2d 1064, 1067-68 (N.D. Cal. 2007) (same, and also granting summary judgment to petitioner after finding government delay to be unreasonable);
Razaq v. Poulos, No. C06-2461 WDB, 2007 WL 61884, at *3-4 (N.D. Cal. Jan. 8, 2007) (finding jurisdiction to review delay in processing I-130 application); Aboushaban v. Mueller, No. C06-1280 BZ, 2006 WL 3041086, at *1-2 (N.D. Cal. Oct. 24, 2006) (finding jurisdiction to review delay in processing I-485 application and granting plaintiff’s motion for summary judgment where
FBI name check was already completed). An eleventh judge reached the same result in two cases but designated his orders as not for publication.

AGC4ME, here is a part for you:
"This Court now joins its sister courts in this district in rejecting Defendants’
jurisdictional challenge. Although Defendants have discretion over whether to grant or deny Qiu’s application for adjustment of status under I-485, they have a non-discretionary duty to act on that application within a reasonable time. E.g., Yu v. Chertoff, 2007 WL 1742850, at *3. Defendants’ reliance on 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B) is misplaced because that provision, “by its use of the terms ‘judgment’ and ‘decision or action’, only bars review of actual
discretionary decisions to grant or deny relief under the enumerated sections, including section 1255.” Iddir v. INS, 301 F.3d 492, 496 (7th Cir. 2002). Here, Qiu does not challenge a discretionary decision or judgment regarding his I-485 application, and 8 U.S.C. § 1252(a)(2)(B) is therefore inapplicable. Fu, 2007 WL 1742376, at *4-5; Duan, 2007 WL 626116, at *2. In addition, “asserting that the USCIS is awaiting the results of an FBI name
check does not explain why [Qiu’s] application has been stagnant for the past [three] years,” and this assertion is therefore insufficient “to show that the delay of [Qiu’s] application is reasonable as a matter of law” and establish that Qiu has failed to state a claim for relief. Gelfer, 2007 WL 902382, at *2."

Has anybody figured out how to attach files to the forum?

Dear friends,

Congratulations, missingpa! Good for you! :)

I think it would be OK for you to sign it. The "without prejudice" wording already makes sure that you can reopen the case when necessary. Also, I've seen several joint stipulations in my own PACER searches bearing exactly the same verbiage. So, you should be safe.

By the way, did you file motion for summary judgment after the court denied defendants' MTD?

And since you're from Central District of California, if I remember correctly, this seems to support my earlier observation that cases in California somehow always get resolved after the MTD stage. Wish I were in CA....

Congratulations again!!

Gurus - need help with my situation.

Here's my situation.

I filed WOM (485 based) in early july. Unluckily the judge has a reputation of moving cases very quickly, and scheduled conference call in mid august.

The ausa in my case has taken position that my case should be dismissed, since visa numbers are not available. My lawyer is recommending that I withdraw my case and refile it in october. In the meantime the ausa is verbally promising my lawyer that he would work with FBI to get my name check expedited.

I asked my lawyer to seek an extension for 45 days, since my PD would become current again in october, but she is not sure that it would be granted because of the judge. I dont really like the idea of delay and rely on verbal promise of ausa.

What should I do? Any suggestions/ ideas of what else me/my lawyer can do?