Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Please help me with OPP (I 485 case)

Dear all,

AUSA filed MTD as following, would you please help me with opp? It would be great help if somebody could post a OPP sample for I485 case. Thank you very much!

DEFENDANTS’ MOTION TO DISMISS
Defendants move pursuant to Rule 12(b)(1) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure to
dismiss this action for lack of subject matter jurisdiction.

I. MOTION TO DISMISS STANDARD
Rule 12(b)(1) militates the dismissal of an action over which the court lacks subject
matter jurisdiction. A motion under Rule 12(b)(1) may be decided on any of three bases: (1) the
complaint alone; (2) the complaint supplemented by undisputed facts evidenced in the record; or
(3) the complaint supplemented by undisputed facts plus the court’s resolution of disputed facts.
Barrera-Montenegro v. United States, 74 F.3d 657, 659 (5th Cir. 1996); Fleischer v. United
States Department of Veterans Affairs, 955 F. Supp. 731, 733-34 (S.D. Tex. 1997).

A case is properly dismissed for lack of subject matter jurisdiction when the court lacks
the statutory or constitutional power to adjudicate the case. Krim v. pcOrder.Com,Inc., 402 F.3d
489,494(5th Cir.2005). Home Builders Ass’n of Miss., Inc. v. City of Madison, Miss.,143 F.3d
1006 (5th Cir.1998). The burden of establishing subject matter jurisdiction rests with the
plaintiff. See F.R.Civ.Proc, Rule 8(a). Metropolitan Life Ins. Co. v.. Taylor,481 U.S.
58,63(1987) St. Paul Reinsurance Co., Ltd., v. Greenberg, 134 F.3d 1250, 1253 (5th Cir. 1998);
Rodriguez v. Texas Comm’n on the Arts, 199 F.3d 279 (5th Cir. 2000).

II. STATEMENT OF FACTS
For the purposes of this motion, the non-argumentative factual statements made in the
plaintiff in her complaint are accepted as true. See Scheuer v. Rhodes, 416 U.S. 232, 236
(1974). However, her legal statements purportedly establishing subject matter jurisdiction are
for the Court to decide. Williamson v. Tucker, 645 F.2d 404,413(5th Cir. 1981). Plaintiff contends that this Court has jurisdiction pursuant to 28 U.S.C. Section 1331.

III. LEGAL ANALYSIS
a. Plaintiff’s Claims under 28 USC Section 1331
Plaintiff claims that the Court has federal question jurisdiction pursuant to Section 1331 of
Title 28, from the defendants’ interpretation statutes contained in the Immigration and
Nationality Act(INA) committed to them for their administration and enforcement by Congress.
Their decisions about how and in what manner the persons who seek benefits under these
sections are either accepted or denied are entitled to deference absent a demonstrated abuse of
discretion or interpretations or actions which are arbitrary or capricious or otherwise not in
accordance with law. Chevron USA Inc v. Natural Resources Defense Counsel, 467 U.S.
837,(1984), Hamana v. I.N.S. , 78 F. 3d 233,239 (6th Cir. 1996) , Chow v. I.N.S. , 12 F. 3d
233,239(5thCir. 1993).

Plaintiff complains about defendants’ delay in the processing of her I-485 application
to adjust his immigration status which plaintiff believes she is being denied, which is the subject of this action,(“the I- 485"). Plaintiff thus assumes for the purpose of her pleading that not only has she demonstrated her entitlement to the adjustment of her immigratoion status, but also that she is entitled to say when that entitlement has been established . Such an interpretation is not only unsupported by any case authority , but is also entirely antithetical to the idea of immigration control through statute, which is mandated by Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution of the United States. That Constitutional provision establishes the plenary power of Congress to enact laws related to immigration ,and the almost unfettered power of the Executive to enforce those laws in keeping with Congressional intent. Fiallo v Bell ,430 U.S. 787,792 ,97 S.Ct. 1473,1478(1977), Shaughnessy v. U.S. ex. rel. Mezie, 345 U.S. 206,210, 97 S. Ct.. 956 (1953).

Against that is juxtaposed the extremely limited role of the Courts regarding immigration.
See Saavedra-Bruno v. Albright ,197 F. 3d 1153,1158(D.C.Cir,1999)(in which the history of
immigration control is historically recounted ). The Courts do not have the power to grant
citizenship. I.N.S. v. Panigilan, 486 U.S. 875,884, 108 S.Ct. 2210,2216-17(1988). An alien
seeking rights under immigration law can obtain them only upon terms and conditions set by
Congress. Courts are without authority to change or modify immigration law . United States v.
Ginsberg, 243 U.S. 472,474,37 S.Ct. 422(1917). The power to exclude or admit aliens is a
sovereign prerogative. Matthews v. Diaz, 426 U.S. 67,79-80, 96 S.Ct. 1883,1891(1976).

Specifically , in the context of this suit, Title 8 C.F.R. Section 103.2(b)(7) mandates
background and fingerprint checks for all persons seeking to adjust their status under the INA.
Further , 8 U.S.C. Section 1105(a) provides that the Citizenship and Immigration Services
Department(CIS) obtain and exchange information from the FBI and the Central Intelligence
Agency(CIA) “ for use in enforcing the provisions of this chapter in the interest of the internal
and border security of the United States”. Defendants’ operations in this, and other would be
beneficiaries’ immigration adjustment and citizenship applications are part of that nationwide
coordinated effort.

In the context of district court power to review executive branch desions under the INA,
the recently(May 11,2005) amended Title 8 U.S.C. Section 1252(a)(2)(B)(ii) bars court review
of “all discretionary agency decisions” of the Attorney General(Pursuant to the REAL ID Act of
2005). This is only the latest law enacted by the Congress, all of which seek to restrict, if not
foreclose, the role of the Courts in reviewing “discretionary” decisions of the Attorney
General(AG) or the Department of Homeland Security(DHS).

Plaintiff claims without citation to authority that the defendants’ admitted delay in
adjudicating her I-485 gives her the right to proceed with this suit in U.S. District Court. Defendants assert that, although they regret unfortunate
delays which occur in the processing and adjudication of I-485s of the type made the subject of
plaintiff’s complaint, they are operating with all dispatch on the plaintiff’s case, as well as the
many others whose applications are likewise pending. In this context, defendants assert that they
have the right determine how to investgate, administer and adjudicate petitions of the type made
the subject of this suit, as well as all other decisions related to the manner and means of the
naturalization process, which has, since the passage of the first immigration control acts , been
committed to agency discretion . It is in this distinction upon which this motion turns. If the duty
is “discretionary” , then the Court has no subject matter jurisdiction pursuant to Title 8 U.S.C.
Section 1252(a)(2)(B)(i) and (ii). This Court has recently ruled on a similar motion based upon
the provisions of Section 1252 in the case of Eastern Carpet House v DHS , 430 F. Supp. 2d
672 (S.D. Tx., 2006) .

Eastern Carpet holds that use of the word “may” in the context of the decision by the
Attorney General or the DHS to grant, or not, a visa, makes the jurisdiction stripping statute
(Section 1252) applicable in that instance. Eastern Carpet, supra at p. 675. In adjustment of
status cases,the applicable statute , 8 U.S.C. Section 1255, provides that an alien who has been
“inspected and admitted... may be adjusted by the Attorney General , in his discretion and under
such regulations as he may prescibe...”(emphasis added). Under the Eastern Carpet rubric,
judgments regarding the granting of relief under section 1255 are specifically excepted from
judicial review by subsection 1252(a)(2)(b)(i). Ayanbadejo v. Chertoff, 462 F.Supp. 2d 736
(S.D.Tx.,2006) (District Director’s decision to deny plaintiff an adjustment of his immigration
status was not reviewable.)

The adjudication of I-485s , are by the terms of section 1255 discretionary, and hence,
unreviewable. Wan Shih Hsieh v. Kiley, 569 F.2d 1179 (2d Cir., 1979), (Court had no
jurisdiction to compel the INS to complete an investigation concerning a visa application);
Dinsey v. DHS , 2004 WL 1698630(S.D. NY, 2004) (The Court had no jurisdiction to compel
DHS to complete an investigation concerning an adjustment of status application); Mustafa v.
Pasquerell, 2006 WL 488399(W.D.Tx., 1-10-06)(No jurisdiction over delay necessitated by
background check); Mohamed Zahani v. DHS , 2006 WL 2246211,(M.D.Fla, 6-26-06)(same
holding as Mustafa ).

The Attorney General’s decision to adjudicate, or not, the plaintiff’s pending I-485 is
clearly “discretionary” action which plaintiff seeks to mandate through this action. Attached as
Exhibit 1 is a decision of the Southern District of California in the case of Jing Li v. Chertoff,
entered April 2, 2007 , holding that this is precisely the type of “discretionary” decision which
Congress has decided, through its enactment of Section 1252, should not be subject to judicial
review. See also Grinberg v. Swacina , 2007 WL 840109 (S.D.Fla, 3-20-07) (“If Congress had
intended to confer jurisdiction on a federal court to review the pace of adjusdicaytion of status
applications, it would have expressly provided ofor a time limitation in 8 U.S.C. Section 1255(a)
, as it did in 8 U.S.C. Section 1447(b)”.)

This Court is not presented with a situation in which the defendants have failed to act, but
rather one in which they are proceeding in a manner with which plaintiff is dissatisfied. The
plaintiff herself says that she has checked with
various offices of the government to inquire about the status of her application and discovering
that the agency “is curently working” on similar applications filed after hers. While such
anomalys are unfortunate, the FBI works as diligently as possible in an attempt to move these
cases through to completion on a first in-first out basis just as it does in FOIA cases. See
Eastern Carpet , 430 F.Supp 2d at p 676. However, the fact that it is not always successful in
that effort does not establish that this Court has jurisdiction under Section 1331 in such a
situation .

IV. CONCLUSION
These cases underline and support the contention herein, that in a case as plaintiff presents here,
in which her complaint establishes that defendants’ processing of her application to adjust status
is a “discretionary” act which, though she be dissatisfied with the pace at which they are
operating , that this court can have no subject matter jurisdiction.Defendants are carrying out the Congressional mandate, investigating plaintiff’s case along with approximately 6 million others with all deliberate speed. Plaintiffs’ complaint should be dismissed accordingly.

Wenlock,

you mentioned before that your friend had a GC backdated to the date of initial entry to the US (due to USCIS error). Did your friend travel with this GC outside US? Thank you.

Analysis

Ok guys today i got the MTD from the AUSA.I have 20 days to reply.My case is N400 WOM without interview. you can see it on pacer Sharma v. Gonzales, et al. 7:07-CV-13-F.Interstingly its not based on what has been going on my case ie USCIS has already scheduled a interview but standard MTD stating that court has no jurisdiction and Naturalization is a 4 step process 1st the Application,2nd Background check,3rd Interview and 4th Oath letter they have attached badier vs gonzales as exhibit

In the mean time i need to file an extension to file for reply.Can anybody guide me to the format for the extension.Would How easy is it to get extension.Whats reason should i put for extension i was thinking about what wenlock advised that i am Scheduled for May 18th Interview and all progress indicate that N-400 application will get adjudicate in next few days

Here is my analysis of these cases. I see that AUSA mentioned badier vs gonzales and I read its opinion that completely surprised me.

First if you look at complaint even though it was filed by attorney it is very ordinary complaint first it cite Jurisdiction under 8 USC 1329 which is completly baseless in mandamus actions it reads

"The district courts of the United States shall have jurisdiction of all causes, civil and criminal, brought by the United States that arise under the provisions of this subchapter"

It clearly says that case brought by USA not against USA so it is baseless.

Then AUSA in his motion to dismiss is playing smart game he is point out that only Jurisdiction in N-400 applications comes to Federal court if examination is complete and 120 days past like 1447(b) or USCIS denied N-400 and after Admin review you can bring instant case in Federal court. Then he cites number of cases where AOS WOM were dismissed due to 1252.

Now Plaintiff attorney when replied he just replied with standard argument and citing number of cases with out answering any original argument from respondents. He never mentioned that 1252 limitations does not apply in instant case because N-400 comes under Title III of INA where as AOS comes under Title II of INA. Descretionary decisions of 1252 are only applicable on Title II.

Now when Judge ruled on this instant case it is just amazing he strip subject matter jurisdiction based on 8 U.S.C. § 1255(a) (the Attorney General
may “in his discretion and under such regulations as he may prescribe,” choose to grant or deny adjustment of status to an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence). Thus, this court cannot exercise jurisdiction over this matter, pursuant to 5 U.S.C. §§ 704 or 706.

1255 comes under Title II and instant case is Naturlization that has nothing to do with 1255 or AOS. Judge stripped jurisdiction under title II of INA where as relief that plaintiff is requesting comes under Title III. It is really baised decision Judge never properly understood case and blame goes to Plaintiff's attorney because in his complaint he is asking for interview of application instead of adjudicating application.
Clearly scheduling interview is descretionary act but adjudicating application is not descretionary.

Talked to AUSA about my case. AUSA was curt and told me they are very busy and have "tons" of mandamus cases and dont have time to spend on phone with everyone. He said he did not have the case in front of him so asked me wether its a naturalization or PR, took down my name and case number and said they have a paralegal following up on such cases and if it resolves within 60 days good if not MTD. Also said they are sorry for our situation, but they dont know anything about name check and FBI internals and just have paralegals wait for DHS to send them case status and file MTDs if case is not resolved.
My sense was AUSA office basically assigns paralegals to follow up on cases and have cut off dates when they file motions. AUSA just said he cant do much, only wait for DHS instructions.

Are you in NJ District??

Dear all,

AUSA filed MTD as following, would you please help me with opp? It would be great help if somebody could post a OPP sample for I485 case. Thank you very much!

Hi shine,

As I said in replying your PM: I am not a lawyer. I just try to help you as much as I can, because I understand the pain and the suffering cause by this delay. I "take no responsibility for accuracy of information provided. Please use at your own risk."

Three weeks ago, after reading all the nonsense in my MTD, I wrote a draft of OPP to MTD based on everything I learned from this forum. The draft was never filed into the court. I think my draft may be helpful to you.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear all,

Shine 2007,

There are several oppositions posted on the last 10 pages. Also, Riz had his "motion to reconsider" and Paz had a text of opposition to MTD I hope they would share them with you. The others Iwill try to download again later are clearly showing that:

Jurisdiction exists because you don't ask for "ajustment of atatus" as your AUSA said, but (hopefully) for ADJUDICATION. CIS has discretion whether or not to "grant" AOS but they don't have a discretion to ACT. In fact, Congress has hardly meant for Federal agents to withold their decision indefinitely when they provided to compel an agency to act by APA sections.

2) When you pay your fee this in itself provides for a binding contract. To state that this contract means you pay and USCIS may or may not reply to you is absurd. Such contract is called a LOTTERY (-you buy a lottery ticket and may become a winner, but no one notifies you whether you won or lost). In your case, AOS is NOT A LOTTERY. (You could mention a separate provision to receive a Green Card by a Green Card Lottery.) If this was the same, the INS would simply combine these two separate processes, AOS and GC Lottery. They in fact are completley different in this very instant: A GC Lottery does not oblige US government to answer if you don't win. But AOS Application does.

So you (hopefully) don't request CIS to approve your AOS applic-n, but you request to ACT on IT. And then you can bring the citations from several cases (posted here before) where judges argued this point very well. The other big point to consider is, how long have you waied. Because if it's less than two years, a judge would simply say the time is reasonable. Several judges cosidered the wait unreasonable for more than two years.

I have to run now, so I will post more oppositions tonight. Also, please see Wenlock's good points.

should I list Attorney General as defendant?

Guys,

My question is should I list Attorney General as one of the defendants? Currently I list Secretary of DHS, Director of USCIS, Director of Santa Ana office, USCIS, and Director of FBI.

First of all, thank you for posting your experience. I felt finally there is something I can do to speed up my naturalization process: filing a lawsuit through pro se.

I had interview on May 30, 2006. I was told my application for naturalization is still pending for name check. So I am planning to file a complaint persuant to 336(b) and 8 U.S.C. 1447(b), and ask an adjudication of the naturalization application in court and by the court.

But I am so a bit confused which one is BETTER? 1447(b) or WOM, or both?

I am also planning to file at Souther California District Court at San Diego. Don't know if judges there are nice or not.

I also wrote to Congress, but it seems no help.

thanks for the information.

whalewatcher

cases I have...

Folks,

I'd like to start to compile a list of naturalization cases (particularly where WOM is involved) where:

1. judge orders deny defendants' MTD
and/or
2. defendants filed strong opposition/response to MTD

If you are aware of these cases, post here or PM me. And I will research and put the list together and re-post later.

This will help my effort drafting opposition to MTD for my I485 WOM cases.

Thanks.

OK, here are the cases posted earlier on this forum which I now repost. I post WOM complaints (someone may use) and also Oppositions to MTD and judges orders. Disclaimer: I re-post earlier posted docs which may have some private info. but which were accessed through public records and I cannot delete this private info. otherwise I would. Also I am not a lawyer so please use this info at your own risk.

download of cases-cont.

OK, here are the cases posted earlier on this forum which I now repost. I post WOM complaints (someone may use) and also Oppositions to MTD and judges orders. Disclaimer: I re-post earlier posted docs which may have some private info. but which were accessed through public records and I cannot delete this private info. otherwise I would. Also I am not a lawyer so please use this info at your own risk.

Files Continued

Files Continued

Disclaimer: I re-post earlier posted docs which may have some private info. but which were accessed through public records and I cannot delete this private info., otherwise I would. Also I am not a lawyer so please use this info at your own risk.

Files Continued

Disclaimer: I re-post earlier posted docs which may have some private info. but which were accessed through public records and I cannot delete this private info., otherwise I would. Also I am not a lawyer so please use this info at your own risk.

Files Continued

More files:

More files:

Disclaimer: I re-post earlier posted docs which may have some private info. but which were accessed through public records and I cannot delete this private info. otherwise I would. Also I am not a lawyer so please use this info at your own risk. Files Continued

Disclaimer: I re-post earlier posted docs which may have some private info. but which were accessed through public records and I cannot delete this private info. otherwise I would. Also I am not a lawyer so please use this info at your own risk. Files Continued
Files contnd.

Files contnd.

Disclaimer: I re-post earlier posted docs which may have some private info. but which were accessed through public records and I cannot delete this private info. otherwise I would. Also I am not a lawyer so please use this info at your own risk.

Hi SDconfused,
If your case is for citizenship and you filed under 1447b, then usually AUSA file a motion to dismiss plus remand to USCIS. Also the date that you mentioned looks to me came from your docket and it is a date for oral argument on AUSA MTD and your counter motion. Now you need to look your local rule to see how much time you have to file your counter motion and file it.
Good luck

Hi, shvili:
Thank you for your input. Maybe I didn't put it in the right way in my previous post. What I received from district attorney is a package of their argument (motion of the defendents) with time and location of federal court (May 31, 2007, court room 5).

According to the Pro Se package and 1447b and my summary of the posts in this forum, there are two motions that will be filed by defenants: Motion to dismiss and Motion to remand to CIS.

I don't know if other member in this forum as discussed in this thread earlier that, when they receive this MTD, does that also come with a court appearing date, time and location?

Disclaimer: I re-post earlier posted docs which may have some private info. but which were accessed through public records and I cannot delete this private info. otherwise I would. Also I am not a lawyer so please use this info at your own risk.

files cont.

files cont.
files cont.

Files cont.