Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

I am not posting this message to encourage Pro Se. Instead, hiring a *good* attorney really has its unique advantage. At least, AUSA will pay more attention to your case, because they know if they lose their MTD, they will be in a danger of paying your legal fee if they didn't resolve your case ASAP.
Also, it is so easy to make some fatal mistake if you didn't present your case properly in the OPP.

I choose to go with Pro Se for the following reasons:
(1) I already has a legal status, which allows me to work and live in US without limitation. (However, I do need GC for other critical benefits. )
(2) I begin to see my case is moving, and I got my second FP last week.
(3) I have been waiting for over 3.5 years, and waiting has become part of my life. :-(
(4) I don't trust attorneys in general because of my previous bad experience with them. They are not working as hard on my case as I did.

However, I do think, if you cannot devote a lot of time on your case, for the benefit of yourself and others, please do hire a laywer, and the earlier the better.

United,

I agree with your attitude: doing the job pro se is interesting and challenging, the fact you're doing it for yourself is stimulating. Also, as we focus on this single problem, we might beat an average attorney who is also not so eager to win for us. (I hope my optimism will stay till the very end of this fight)

I wish you good luck on this next step in your fighting process!

I filed WOM on Jan. 2007. US attoney asked first time motion extension in March, I agreed. Now he wants another time motion extension. What should I do? agree or not? Please advise. Thank you very much!
I140: 2002. I485 2003. north carolina.

for alberto gonzalez, can someone please post the description paragraph use in the lawsuit that lists him as a defendant?

for example. for robert mueller i used the below
". Defendant, Robert Mueller, is the national Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and this action is brought against him in his official capacity. Defendant Mueller is responsible for the Records Management Division at the FBI and more directly for the National Name Check Program. "

i need a similar one for alberto gonzalez... anyone can help?

I filed WOM on Jan. 2007. US attoney asked first time motion extension in March, I agreed. Now he wants another time motion extension. What should I do? agree or not? Please advise. Thank you very much!

Just Agree. AUSA's are working with DHS and they have a feel for what is happening

for alberto gonzalez, can someone please post the description paragraph use in the lawsuit that lists him as a defendant?

for example. for robert mueller i used the below
". Defendant, Robert Mueller, is the national Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and this action is brought against him in his official capacity. Defendant Mueller is responsible for the Records Management Division at the FBI and more directly for the National Name Check Program. "

i need a similar one for alberto gonzalez... anyone can help?

Defendant Alberto R. Gonzales is the United States Attorney General and this action is brought against him in his official capacity. Defendant has the authority to administer the oath of allegiance. 8 U.S.C. § 1103.

AUSA called this morning – she said that my name check has been cleared and USCIS is ready to adjudicate in 3 weeks. She wanted me to sign joint stipulation to dismiss. I politely declined – said I would like to get that in writing from USCIS and better yet – the Oath letter. She said that I have to dismiss the case first as USCIS currently does not have jurisdiction over my case and therefore can not adjudicate it, but if naturalization is granted they would schedule the Oath in a week. I agreed to look at the draft of the stipulation she promised to e-mail me in a few days.

Sounds a little fishy. Lack of jurisdiction is a cornerstone of most MTDs these days, and AUSA herself says that USCIS can not adjudicate the case until the lawsuit is dismissed?

Best of luck,
snorlax

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi;

Does anyone know a case in Central District of California for a "Memorandum of Opposition to Motion to Dismiss" for N-400 citizenship application which was ruled in favor of the applicant?

If you know any, please email me the documents or the case number so I can look it up, or please let me know how to search for a specific case in the central district of CA so I can look it up on PACER. I have to file one in this district. Many thanks.

my email address is: aamirich@yahoo.com

parsfalcon

AUSA called this morning – she said that my name check has been cleared and USCIS is ready to adjudicate in 3 weeks. She wanted me to sign joint stipulation to dismiss. I politely declined – said I would like to get that in writing from USCIS and better yet – the Oath letter. She said that I have to dismiss the case first as USCIS currently does not have jurisdiction over my case and therefore can not adjudicate it, but if naturalization is granted they would schedule the Oath in a week. I agreed to look at the draft of the stipulation she promised to e-mail me in a few days.

Sounds a little fishy. Lack of jurisdiction is a cornerstone of most MTDs these days, and AUSA herself says that USCIS can not adjudicate the case until the lawsuit is dismissed?

Best of luck,
snorlax
did AUSA ever filed for MTD in your case? My AUSA has filed for a MTD.

Best of luck,
snorlax

Snorlax, this is great news! You are very close now, I don't believe that AUSA is lying, usually they are very professional people.

The reason why she is right is US v. Hovsepian. You are in the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit Court and that case made a law of the 9th Circuit that filing a lawsuit stips USCIS from concurrent jurisdiction, i.e., the court has exclusive jurisdiction. Because your name check is complete now, USCIS has no interest to challenge subject matter jurisdiction based on the "examination is a process which contains among other things the name check" argument.

Just make sure that the joint stipulation has enough assurance that you cover your back. If what AUSA already wrote you (USCIS will adjudicate your case in 3 weeks from the date of order and in case of approval, they will issue you in 1 week an oath letter) is incorporated in the joint stipulation, in my opinion, is safe to sign it.

You should oppose it. Just write a simple opposition, mention that they've already got one extension, that your issue is time-sensitive and that it's not your fault if they cannot manage their time effectively. You do not need to file supporting memorandum, simple opposition will do. They need a really good reason for second extension and judge will not grant it if you oppose.

Just Agree. AUSA's are working with DHS and they have a feel for what is happening

Thank you very much for your advise! Do you think it is a good idea that I call him and ask my status and whether he can guarantee give me an answer before next dealine. I know some cases got MTD after a couple of times extension. I am also wondering whether judge may dismiss this case if continuously extension. And if I do not agree, what is going to happened. I really appreaciate your help!

You should oppose it. Just write a simple opposition, mention that they've already got one extension, that your issue is time-sensitive and that it's not your fault if they cannot manage their time effectively. You do not need to file supporting memorandum, simple opposition will do. They need a really good reason for second extension and judge will not grant it if you oppose.

Thank you very much for your advise! I am wondering what going to happened next? if judge agree the motion extension, it is not good for me? if judge deny extension, what defendants and their attorney will do? Do you know any case like this? I really appreaciate it!

Thank you very much for your advise! I am wondering what going to happened next? if judge agree the motion extension, it is not good for me? if judge deny extension, what defendants and their attorney will do? Do you know any case like this? I really appreaciate it!

The judge will ultimately decide weather grant extension or not. If you do not oppose, odds are he will grant it. I do not see any negative consequences for you if you oppose.

If judge denies it, they have to respond to your complaint by the date defined in court order.

Calling AUSA is a good idea, he/she will be able to tell you more about the real reason behind extension. You can also find out what their intensions are. If they intend to file MTD, why give them more time to prepare?

Important Case

This is one of the cases I was following very closely and happy to see that Judge ruled for Plaintiff. Plaintiff Counsel did not mentioned Attorney General or FBI as defendents to court gave option to plaintiff to add them as defendents.

This case is important to me because plaintiff did not had his interview Scheduled.

1447b local rule form

Hi Guys : I filed 1447b recently and there is a requirement to file a 1 page form as per local rules that ask 2 questions (1) Is this a previously dismissed case (2) Are their any related cases ?. These are two yes/no questions and I just saw I answered one as No and left the other unanswered. I went to the court and spoke to the court clerk and she said its ok, I dont need to do anything. Do you guys think I should file another of those forms (its just 1 page, 2 questions) with the second question also completed ? I am afraid, even though the clerk says its ok, the judge may not understand why I dint answer that question. Any opinions ?

Hi Guys : I filed 1447b recently and there is a requirement to file a 1 page form as per local rules that ask 2 questions (1) Is this a previously dismissed case (2) Are their any related cases ?. These are two yes/no questions and I just saw I answered one as No and left the other unanswered. I went to the court and spoke to the court clerk and she said its ok, I dont need to do anything. Do you guys think I should file another of those forms (its just 1 page, 2 questions) with the second question also completed ? I am afraid, even though the clerk says its ok, the judge may not understand why I dint answer that question. Any opinions ?

Should not be a big deal. More likely that form is not considered as part of your complaint (sort of like exhibit to civil cover sheet). And you did not answer, which is much better than giving the wrong answer!

Hi Wenlock,

Do you think if I can use this case decision in my opposition to MTD in WOM?

Thanks.

This is one of the cases I was following very closely and happy to see that Judge ruled for Plaintiff. Plaintiff Counsel did not mentioned Attorney General or FBI as defendents to court gave option to plaintiff to add them as defendents.

This case is important to me because plaintiff did not had his interview Scheduled.

letter from FBI about my name check

I wrote a letter to the First Lady Laura Bush in January 2007 complaining the name check delay of my naturalization application. Today I got a letter from FBI Michael A. Cannon, section chief of the name check program. The letter says my name check is finalized and the results were sent to USCIS headquarters in Washington DC about 3 weeks ago.

What should I do about this letter? I want to forward this letter to USCIS but I think it has lost jurisdiction of my case after I filed the 1447b lawsuit in early March. Should I forward this letter to AUSA? but I don't know his/her name or email. PACER only shows a general AUSA email address for an AUSA who represents the defendants in my case.

I wrote a letter to the First Lady Laura Bush in January 2007 complaining the name check delay of my naturalization application. Today I got a letter from FBI Michael A. Cannon, section chief of the name check program. The letter says my name check is finalized and the results were sent to USCIS headquarters in Washington DC about 3 weeks ago.

What should I do about this letter? I want to forward this letter to USCIS but I think it has lost jurisdiction of my case after I filed the 1447b lawsuit in early March. Should I forward this letter to AUSA? but I don't know his/her name or email. PACER only shows a general AUSA email address for an AUSA who represents the defendants in my case.

To start with I would say take an infopass and find out where stuff is.

I would certainly forward this letter to the general AUSA’s e-mail. In the e-mail you can explicitly ask to forward it to whoever your case is assigned to. From my experience – their offices are not too big – it is going to be easy for him/her to figure out who is handling your case and forward this letter to the appropriate atty.

Best of luck!
snorlax