Anyone with a lawsuit against USCIS or thinking about a lawsuit (Merged)

Ninyte,
I saw in your earlier posts you had not got your summons yet. Have they come now and have you sent them out ?

The court issued summons exactly 3 weeks after we filed the complaint. We sent them out and filed return of service. So now AUSA has till 5/29/07 to answer.

thank u so much for ur help lotechguy...

1- where can i get the below from? I am applying in NJ
a) civil cover sheets
b) copies of summons cover sheet

2- do I have to have exhibits? if yes, can u please give examples? all i could think of is using 3 letters mailed out to me by the USCIS in response to my inquiry saying that my case is still pending... i don't even know if that is enough? i am thinking of not including exhibits at all, and just send a generic WOM until the MTD is filed, and then go into details in my opposition... what do you think?

so in summary I need 4 copies for defendants + 1 for AUSA + 1 for court + 1 for me... toal = 7 copies of:

civil cover sheet + summons page customized to each defendent (but listing all defendents) + actual WOM complaint... can u please confirm...

3- and final question, when I go to the court, where should i go exactly? do i just ask for the court clerk where pple file civil law suits ?

Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiram,
You got it almost right.

1. First Civil cover sheets for your court is a fillable PDF at: http://www.njd.uscourts.gov/forms/JS44.pdf

2. Summons for your court is a fillable PDF at: http://www.njd.uscourts.gov/forms/ao440.pdf

3. Exhibits and WOM: I would suggest that you carefully study the WOM you prepared and look at at least 5 or 6 other WOMs on cases almost identical to yours then finalize your WOM. You will find that in this process the other WOMS you read have indeed used exhbits like letters to senators, FOIPA, INFOPASES etc. In WOM it is very important to show that you tried everything and no Administrative remdies are left. Unless its a 1447b N400 case, WOM must include a lot of exhibits to show to the judge that you tried to resolve this. The danger is waiting till MTD is that the judge may just dismiss your case even without waiting fro MTD if he finds the complaint is light. I dont know that this has happened but certainly a possiblity, So make complaint good and forceful.

Copies: say you have X number of defendants.

Then
The number of copies of complaints you need = X + 1 AUSA + 2 court + 1 your copy so X+4.

The number of copies of Exhibits you need = X + 1 AUSA + 2 court + 1 your copy so X+4.

The number of Summons you need = 2 * X + 2 AUSA
ie 2 sets of X+1 Summons. One set you actually send to defendants and AUSA, the other set you file back to court with RETURN SERVICE PAGE FILLED
Make sure Court Clerk stamps both sets of X+1 copies ie 2 *(X+1) copies of suimmons shuld be stampled by the court clerk. When you file return of service you need to file the other set of X+1 copies with retune service filled.

Take a stapler, a whitener in you bag in case you need to change something on a document.

You need to go to the court clerks office when you go to the court

thank u so much for ur help lotechguy...

1- where can i get the below from? I am applying in NJ
a) civil cover sheets
b) copies of summons cover sheet

2- do I have to have exhibits? if yes, can u please give examples? all i could think of is using 3 letters mailed out to me by the USCIS in response to my inquiry saying that my case is still pending... i don't even know if that is enough? i am thinking of not including exhibits at all, and just send a generic WOM until the MTD is filed, and then go into details in my opposition... what do you think?

so in summary I need 4 copies for defendants + 1 for AUSA + 1 for court + 1 for me... toal = 7 copies of:

civil cover sheet + summons page customized to each defendent (but listing all defendents) + actual WOM complaint... can u please confirm...

3- and final question, when I go to the court, where should i go exactly? do i just ask for the court clerk where pple file civil law suits ?

Thanks a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Check your court's website!
a) civil cover sheet: http://www.njd.uscourts.gov/forms/JS44.pdf
2 copies - 1 for court and 1 for you

b) summons: http://www.njd.uscourts.gov/forms/ao440.pdf
You need to fill 2 copies of summons for each defendant + 2 AUSA=10 summons. You will send summons along with complaint to each defendant and AUSA.
Looks like you need 3 more copies of complaint - 2 for the court and 1 for you.

2. I think you also need to attach USCIS receipt to show the court how long your application is pending. So do not be afraid and file exhibits. If you file WoM, you have to show that you have tried to resolve your problem without the court, so it is a good idea to include all related correspondence as exhibits.

Also, you do not have to wait for MTD to argue your position, you may want to go into details in your complaint. If you complaint is weak, it will be easier for AUSA to dismiss it.

3. Yes, you ask for the court clerk. Usually you'll need an ID to get into the building.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is so confusing to figure out how many copies to bring with you... At least for me it was... I brought 8 copies of complaint and 8 copies of civil cover sheet and 4 copies of summons (one for each of the defendants). And at the court I needed 7 complaints, 1 civil cover sheet and I was missing 3 copies of summonses.. I didn't realize that I needed 2 for Attorney General and 2 for local US attorney... So I just filled them out there... no big deal...
I guess my point is - bring extra copies of complaint (in case you need more than you thought), have your civil cover sheet and if you are missing summonses you can fill them out there...
I didn't keep copies of summonses and when I filed return of service I just wrote whom I served and attached green cards and printouts from USPS website. That was enough for me...
Then again - different districts might be different rules... You can always call and ask...

Last edited by a moderator:
We moved from New Hampshire to Maryland, so now we filed a case in Maryland...
Guess how many cases were filed in New Hampshire for N400 or WOM in the last year? Less than 10....
Maryland - I see them filed every day....
Talk about bad move... Just thought I would share that with you..:)

Got Oath letter today

Hi Team,
You may know my 1447b case; my case was remanded back to USCIS with out any specific instruction. Judge used the word "Prompt" resolution. I filed the motion to amend. But my application got approved within two week of judge's order. Now, I got the oath letter today, do you think I need to withdraw my motion to amend or I can wait, my oath is on April 30th. I want to wait to see judge's ruling on my motion to amend but do you folks think it is o.k. to wait for ruling?
Thank you.

Sajjad

Well, I don't see deadline for filing opposition to motion to dismiss is listed in my Pacer account. Am I missing something? I still don't quite understand why I have 8~9 weeks after receipt of MTD to file opposition, while some cases have only 2 to 3 weeks.

Thanks.

Mingjing,

If you are worried about deadlines, you should consider registering for PACER where you can check all deadlines for your case for a few pennies.

FPs

Hiram,

don't waste your time on InfoPass. As soon as your NC will be cleared, you will receive an appointment notice for the second fingerprints.

I remember that somebody else posted the info indicating that an additional FPs appointment was a sign for the NC clearage.

hi guys,

I have a pending I-485 case and my fingerprints expired last month and I still did not receive any letter to go an do new FP...
I called the USCIS and spoke to 2 officers, one told me that I should go in person to the district office and request a FP apointment, and the other told me that this will not work and that I should wait until the namecheck is cleared they will see that my FP expired and schedule another apt. (she also said that on average, NC are taking between 24 and 36 months!)

my question is:

1- should I make an infopass apt. and try to schedule another FP (will they accept to schedule one for me) ? or should I wait?

An update

Hi guys,

it's just a quick update on my case.

In addition to the approval letter from the Director of local USCIS office, I 've received a Welcome Notice today (actually, 3 of them:) :confused: ) from the Nebraska CIS Center. Now the timeline for the actual card receiving went down to 30 days from the initial suspicious 18 months.

What is the difference between defendants file a motion for summary judgement vs. I file a motion for summary judgement? Why I should oppose their motion but instead file my motion for summary judgement?

Unfortunately, it is not so simple. The judge practically can do whatever s/he wants in these cases. In most of these cases there is no factual dispute, it is a mere interpretation of the law. Because there is no higher level court decision precedent and the previous court decisions are divided (although, fortunately, more favorable decisions for the Plaintiffs) the outcome is unpredictable. The judge can rule solely based on the documents filed with the court, without an oral hearing. I saw cases when the judge didn't even wait for defendants' answer or motion, see 786riz's case.

Still, the most likely course of action, in my opinion, would be that the judge orders some sort of initial case management conference. At one point, AUSA will file a Motion to Dismiss, if your case is not solved by then. After that you will file an Opposition the Defendants Motion, they may file a Reply to your opposition. After that the judge euither will rule on the defendants motion without a hearing or will order a hearing. There can be a Motion for Summary Judgement, in that case you will need to file an opposition and probably a cross motion for summary judgement. The course of action can vary from district to district and judge to judge, inside the same district. The judges have a fairly large autonomy, of course they need to follow the FRCP, but this gives them enough flexibility that practically it is unpredictable how exactly your case will evolve.

It is so confusing to figure out how many copies to bring with you...
I didn't realize that I needed 2 for Attorney General and 2 for local US attorney... So I just filled them out there... no big deal...
I guess my point is - bring extra copies of complaint (in case you need more than you thought), have your civil cover sheet and if you are missing summonses you can fill them out there...
I didn't keep copies of summonses and when I filed return of service I just wrote whom I served and attached green cards and printouts from USPS website. That was enough for me...
Then again - different districts might be different rules... You can always call and ask...

Good point, Ninyte. We all forgot to mention that someone needs a copy of complaint and summons for US AG, if he is not one of the defendants.

I also filied green cards without additional summons and it was OK.

Do you miss New Hampshire? I've been there a few times and love it.
I am a mountain person.

Hi Team,
You may know my 1447b case; my case was remanded back to USCIS with out any specific instruction. Judge used the word "Prompt" resolution. I filed the motion to amend. But my application got approved within two week of judge's order. Now, I got the oath letter today, do you think I need to withdraw my motion to amend or I can wait, my oath is on April 30th. I want to wait to see judge's ruling on my motion to amend but do you folks think it is o.k. to wait for ruling?
Thank you.

Sajjad

I think it's OK to wait for ruling. Judge will not be upset, it's his/her job, they suppose to love it!

Well, I don't see deadline for filing opposition to motion to dismiss is listed in my Pacer account. Am I missing something? I still don't quite understand why I have 8~9 weeks after receipt of MTD to file opposition, while some cases have only 2 to 3 weeks.

Thanks.

When you pull your case in Pacer, click on Deadlines/Hearings and you should see them. If you do not see them, do not be afraid to call clerk of court to find out the deadline. It's better to be sure than miss it. I found out that court's personnel is very friendly, but it may be just my court.

What is the difference between defendants file a motion for summary judgement vs. I file a motion for summary judgement? Why I should oppose their motion but instead file my motion for summary judgement?

If they are asking judge to do what you want also, you do not have to oppose their motion. You can file a joint motion with AUSA.
Otherwise, you have to file a cross-motion and ask judge for what you think is fair.

Hi guys,

it's just a quick update on my case.

In addition to the approval letter from the Director of local USCIS office, I 've received a Welcome Notice today (actually, 3 of them:) :confused: ) from the Nebraska CIS Center. Now the timeline for the actual card receiving went down to 30 days from the initial suspicious 18 months.

Congrats! It is great also that they reduced time for making your card, I am sure you are tired of waiting.

Good point, Ninyte. We all forgot to mention that someone needs a copy of complaint and summons for US AG, if he is not one of the defendants.

I also filied green cards without additional summons and it was OK.

Do you miss New Hampshire? I've been there a few times and love it.
I am a mountain person.

The nature in NH is really beautifull, plus you have everything: mountains, lakes, ocean.... But the lifestyle there is so slow... After living there for 7 years I was feeling I was gonna get old too quick and I was ready for more movement... (people living in CA must think I'm crazy..:) ) I still have a lot of friends there and visit once in a while....
Anyways, all cases that I saw there were resolved quick... there's a couple very recent cases that I will try to follow (just out of curiosity) and see how they will work out...

Originally Posted by 786riz
Hi Team,
Thank you.

Sajjad

I think it's OK to wait for ruling. Judge will not be upset, it's his/her job, they suppose to love it!

But then again - if they won't rule in your favour, won't they make a precedent out of that? I know you are curious, but you got what you wanted...